IGNORED

Humble pie for new year

keynshamred

We all know about the slumps in form and results during each of the last 2 seasons. Last season , post Christmas in particular, gave ammunition for the "anti Johnson" brigade, although it's easy to forget that last season we played  some very good football, and even when things were going a bit pear shaped we were in games and often unlucky to lose. The weakness was a defensive fragility, although it was more a fragility throughout the team, that meant that even a 3 goal lead was not a secure position.

How often have I heard pundits say that championships are won by a solid defence? While I can understand the many moaning about boring football, and especially at AG, a combination of astute signings ( Webster in particular) and adept coaching has really turned us into a steely defensive team. Whereas last season most of us anticipated a comeback from the opposition no matter how big a lead we had, this time around there seems an assurance that we can, and will hold on. This is emphasised by us only once conceding in the last 165 minutes of games. 

If we are to challenge at the top end of the table,  then I think we can do so far better with a strong and secure defence, and hopefully a few tweekes ( and possibly additions in the January window) to make us more potent, and attractive going forward.

Our current run is reassuring, but I have a feeling that we would have come away with less points from the same games  this time last season, despite playing better football, as we were prone to giving too much away.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Not asking people to follow like sheep. Asking people to not use every chance they get to slag off our manager. 

8 unbeaten and near the play offs and you STILL end your post on a negative point! 

It’s not negative at all, it’s a fact. Our home performances are poor right or wrong ? 

You ask people not to slag off the manager but on a match day thread when things are going well you had to shit stir like a pre pubescent child then get precious when it comes back at you .

as I’ve said before I’d be very happy for LJ to prove me wrong and I really do hope he does . I don’t however have to agree with everything he does. 

36 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There was always going to be a thread like this and being a staunch ‘LJ outer’ it’s only fair I reply. 

The results in this 8 game run have been good. And I accept that this is a results based industry so those of you pro LJ have the benefit of hindsight now, hence why threads like this may be started. 

However, my concerns about LJ are about performance rather than result. We’ve had a lot of luck in this run and it’s luck that cannot last. I accept that we played well against Norwich and Derby, but there hasn’t been much to crow about aside from that. 

I have not seen any consistency in performance to make me excited. To make me want to go. To make me think it’s worth the money. 

I accept that on the back of 8 undefeated it’s difficult for me to actively say “Johnson out”, but it isn’t difficult for me to be utterly unconvinced by him and our future while he remains in charge. My dislike for him is multi faceted, the poor football, poor activity in the transfer market and then there’s his completely unjustified arrogance. 

Truth be told if he were to be able to address one or two of the above then I could probably cope with the others. 

So am i convinced by LJ? No I’m certainly not. Far from it. Do I want us to lose? About as much as I want LJ as head coach. 

Whose 'football' would you like us to play like? Who have you seen in this division that you thought, yeah that's what I want to see? Apart from Leeds and WBA I can't think of many. We've played far more turgid sides than us and matched much more fancied sides than us too, Birmingham, Norwich, Derby etc. 

Would you rather us play expansive, entertaining football and lose more games?

Because I think we all know, bar a 3 month period last season, we haven't ever and still don't have the squad or talent to play that way and consistently win in this division.

I'd take tough to beat in this division any day, look at Boro. One more win than us, less goals scored than us. Up in 5th playing football that doesn't entertain. 

8 minutes ago, zombie said:

I’m not precious, I’m not your buddy either. 8 unbeaten is not a fluke, we have a mean defence, players like Kalas, Webster and Niki, all signed by Lee are the reason for that.

Hopefully in 2019 you’ll be able to leave your armchair and enjoy watching us live, it’s much better than on your laptop/tv, it would also validate your opinion, as currently it’s hard to take it seriously as you don’t watch and openly admit to being bias against Lee.

You are obviously entitled to an opinion, I just don’t think it’s as worthy as that of someone who views our team objectively (without an anti LJ agenda) and who chooses to support the team in person.

You’re right. I’m not your buddy. I’m not sure that needed pointing out. 

And I have no anti LJ agenda. I just think we’re playing shit football and the bloke keeps saying stupid things that embarrass him (and our club) make him look like a bellend.

And do you genuinely think it makes my opinion on our football any different that I watch from home? Do I see something different to you? Nope. I don’t. You’re just attempting to play a rather pathetic superfan card. 

So if you don’t mind, I’ll continue to be unconvinced by LJ from my armchair. That alright by you?

37 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

I think a few of the Johnson haters need to start eating a bit of humble pie tonight!! 8 games ago this forum was adimant he had to go. Well done Lansdown for sticking by your man, when it could have been easy to get rid. Just shows what patience can do for a club. I know it must continue but signs are getting better now. 

That is 8 good results in a row now. What a great run of form we are on and I think Johnson deserves alot of credit. I said a while ago when we were on our bad run that we were missing a few injured players and some coming back to fitness. O'dowda has made a massive difference since being back, someone who can commit players and relieve pressure and give the opposition something to worry about. Nice to see Bailey back today and he did very well, there are others who have come back to fitness and form! 

Our away form and defensive performances have been some of the best I've known in many years supporting this club, especially in this league. Defensively is definitely down to good coaching and organisation from the coaching side. I can't remember the last season we won so many away games and yet again comes down to setting up the team right, with good tactics and the right characters in the team. Well done Johnson! You carry on doing a great job for our great club. Long may it continue!! You reds!! 

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that some fans find the football being played rather boring...not entertaining and the football experience rather soulless...especially at home.

This is more a reflection on how average Championship sides play, how the 'modern stadium experience' feels.

A lot of the negative comments come from those a lot older.... who remember 'the good times'...often through rose tinted glasses...as the 'experience' back then when young and healthy and with less life experience was totally different.

The Championship has become so tough, almost Prem like...teams now set up, not to lose games, instead of trying to win games. There are only a few that play gung ho.

Bristol City now, the Championship, and our new stadium reflect exactly what the modern day football experience is.

It's all fine margins. We have played well and lost...played poorly and won. If you play poorly and lose, it is all doom and gloom. Play poorly and win...slightly better.

What people actually want is entertainment...and a win. That as we know is pretty much unlikely every week.

I think LJ is the perfect fit for what SL wants...but I'm not sure he's the perfect fit for many fans.

However...imo, SL is right to stick with LJ for the time being and build.

The problem you get in building, is that it can be tedious and pedestrian. It won't be 'Entertaining' every week.

I've resigned myself to following City, but finding my entertainment elsewhere. It suits me.

The modern day football experience is very much like going to the cinema. It's not offensive. Just 'meh'.

Occasionally you'll get some blood pumping and some passion...but it isn't weekly.

I think the forum is fair...and reflects what most fans feel about their Clubs.

Having been a Man Utd season ticket holder at the height of them doing well (lived up that way for a few years) there fans moaned more than ours.

It's modern football...people like to moan.

However...for what it's worth, I think LJ is doing ok considering what we were five years ago.

I'm not a fan of LJ. I do not hate him. I just believe from his team's performances in the three years he's been here that we could do better with a much more experienced HC.

So, while I still believe that, I'm the first to stand up and be counted and say well done to him, the assistant coaches and the squad for today's good result.

As I posted a thread this morning about my winning first visit with City at Stoke in 1959 when I was fifteen years, I'm thrilled now at seventy five years. 

I hope the wins keep on coming. If they do, I'll eat the pie. Otherwise, I'll stick to my point of view.

COYREDS!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s not negative at all, it’s a fact. Our home performances are poor right or wrong ? 

You ask people not to slag off the manager but on a match day thread when things are going well you had to shit stir like a pre pubescent child then get precious when it comes back at you .

as I’ve said before I’d be very happy for LJ to prove me wrong and I really do hope he does . I don’t however have to agree with everything he does. 

Haha you are diamond mate

22 minutes ago, zombie said:

You may have seen the consistency in performance if you attended games.

OK , here we go. Our performances , not results , but wins colour memories.
Ipswich  ............poor but they were worse
Millwall. ............Poor
Birmingham ......Not great but away win so good
Norwich ............Good
Derby .................Good
Brentford. ..........poor
Rotherham ........Poor
It's performances that are disappointing people , 2 good ones in 7 ? You'd accept that, towards the start of this run it was all about just not loosing, but we have to build on that. Coming into the 2 home games most people expected more, more than scraping an undeserved draw against a side with one win in 7 , and an ultimately lucky win against 9 men. 

38 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Certain posters will slag Johnson at every opportunity and then when they are pulled up on it they moan and say it’s provocative! Look at your own house before slagging off others!

That's true, just as some posters, game after game in a losing run will say, it's unfair to blame LJ , give him time . IT's this one that annoys me most.
Coming on trying to score points gets tedious.
Do I need to told it's a good win , no. Do I know think we will cruise to a playoff spot, no. Do I think we're safe , actually no , because we have previous for freefall spells of results

I don't bother with the Johnson out stuff , SL has made it clear , him and only him will say when !  So I just tell it as I see it , today was a great win , lucky but great result. And as an away result it's absolutely fine to set up and play on the break. In fact 2 of the biggest and best teams in the country play brilliantly on the break. But at home , most people want to see us on the front foot, showing some intent and ambition, I think that's what @Fordy62 alluded too , it's not been great to watch at the Gate lately. If Lj can figure out how to impose our game on teams at home, he'll go a long way to getting more people on his side.
Do I think he's the man to take us up, no, but I want us to win every game we play and always will. But I want to enjoy going to football too.

1 hour ago, keynshamred said:

I think a few of the Johnson haters need to start eating a bit of humble pie tonight!!

What do you hope to achieve by posting such inflammatory s""t as this?

No-one has to eat humble pie.

Everyone who supports City is feeling good about this win, so why sour that ?

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that some fans find the football being played rather boring...not entertaining and the football experience rather soulless...especially at home.

This is more a reflection on how average Championship sides play, how the 'modern stadium experience' feels.

A lot of the negative comments come from those a lot older.... who remember 'the good times'...often through rose tinted glasses...as the 'experience' back then when young and healthy and with less life experience was totally different.

The Championship has become so tough, almost Prem like...teams now set up, not to lose games, instead of trying to win games. There are only a few that play gung ho.

Bristol City now, the Championship, and our new stadium reflect exactly what the modern day football experience is.

It's all fine margins. We have played well and lost...played poorly and won. If you play poorly and lose, it is all doom and gloom. Play poorly and win...slightly better.

What people actually want is entertainment...and a win. That as we know is pretty much unlikely every week.

I think LJ is the perfect fit for what SL wants...but I'm not sure he's the perfect fit for many fans.

However...imo, SL is right to stick with LJ for the time being and build.

The problem you get in building, is that it can be tedious and pedestrian. It won't be 'Entertaining' every week.

I've resigned myself to following City, but finding my entertainment elsewhere. It suits me.

The modern day football experience is very much like going to the cinema. It's not offensive. Just 'meh'.

Occasionally you'll get some blood pumping and some passion...but it isn't weekly.

I think the forum is fair...and reflects what most fans feel about their Clubs.

Having been a Man Utd season ticket holder at the height of them doing well (lived up that way for a few years) there fans moaned more than ours.

It's modern football...people like to moan.

However...for what it's worth, I think LJ is doing ok considering what we were five years ago.

Didn't sound like the Stoke fans have resigned to football being like going to the cinema. Don't think their attitude was  MEH.

Might have been toxic but still some passion. Don't think a lot of fans are going to give the game away to a cinema club just yet.

Good post @spudski?

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

A few were saying they’d take anyone over LJ a few weeks back. 

After 8 games unbeaten I think they may have changed their mind...

And actually it’s ok to change your mind, change your opinion.  Sticking to something for sheer pride reasons is bonkers.

There is an element at both ends of the the Johnson In / Out spectrum who have no flexibility whatsoever.

Even LJ has changed his mind....the style of football, the players used, the tactics have all changed since the start of the season.

LJ will have sat there at the start of the season wanting to play x, yet is now playing y.

7138ADE9-EA6A-4EC7-BB6D-EFF305C497B9.jpeg.45020f275b104a766a09aaafd55d636e.jpeg

Just look at the players he has used...not just because of injuries either.  Pic above from Experimental 361.

The bad run of 4 defeats contained many of the players who are now part of the unbeaten run....playing the same style.  Earlier this season we mixed systems a fair bit.

What I think has happened is a bit of status quo, in fact a couple of those defeats may have been the start of bringing familiarity to the way he wanted to play (Leeds until Brownhill's red)

We can all be “I told you so”, but how many of us thought Pisano might be a catalyst to becoming hard to beat?

How many of us would’ve picked Paterson to start v Leeds (after being benched) and then start him every single game since?

Maybe LJ has learned.  We will need to wait and see.  I hope he has, but none of us should be gloating either way, whether you think he’s the messiah or a very naughty boy.

This game has a habit of kicking Bristol City in the nuts.

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

What do you hope to achieve by posting such inflammatory s""t as this?

No-one has to eat humble pie.

Everyone who supports City is feeling good about this win, so why sour that ?

I've had a gutsfull of negative rubbish when we lose on this forum. Can't even come on here at its just too depressing and as you put it sour.

So now we are putting a great run of results and performances (especially away) I think Johnson and his team need some credit and the ones who constantly slag him off need to give him some slack and praise!

He has made us an astoblished championship club in the last few years!! This I may add after selling 3 top players and making alot of money for our club! I will add, its not aimed at alot of supporters on here but there are some on here that just hate Johnson and want him to fail. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

There’s no need for this type of post every time we win (or the opposite when we lose for that matter)

just childish one-upmanship

totally agree, and I say that as someone who thinks LJ should stay! Some of the threads on this page (and beyond) are utterly pathetic. Here's another. 

3 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

I've had a gutsfull of negative rubbish when we lose on this forum. Can't even come on here at its just too depressing and as you put it sour.

So now we are putting a great run of results and performances (especially away) I think Johnson and his team need some credit and the ones who constantly slag him off need to give him some slack and praise!

He has made us an astoblished championship club in the last few years!! This I may add after selling 3 top players and making alot of money for our club! I will add, its not aimed at alot of supporters on here but there are some on here that just hate Johnson and want him to fail. 

Honestly don't think anyone hates him. It's not personal.

And to be fair, even those who don't rate him, seem to give him praise when its warranted.

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Honestly don't think anyone hates him. It's not personal.

And to be fair, even those who don't rate him, seem to give him praise when its warranted.

There are plenty that hate him, don't kid yourself!!  The praise is merited and long may it continue. Let's hope we can give the play offs a real go and get in a couple of top signings soon!! No reason why we can't build on these 8 games now and push for the top 6

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post @spudski?

And actually it’s ok to change your mind, change your opinion.  Sticking to something for sheer pride reasons is bonkers.

There is an element at both ends of the the Johnson In / Out spectrum who have no flexibility whatsoever.

Even LJ has changed his mind....the style of football, the players used, the tactics have all changed since the start of the season.

LJ will have sat there at the start of the season wanting to play x, yet is now playing y.

7138ADE9-EA6A-4EC7-BB6D-EFF305C497B9.jpeg.45020f275b104a766a09aaafd55d636e.jpeg

Just look at the players he has used...not just because of injuries either.  Pic above from Experimental 361.

The bad run of 4 defeats contained many of the players who are now part of the unbeaten run....playing the same style.  Earlier this season we mixed systems a fair bit.

What I think has happened is a bit of status quote, in fact a couple of those defeats may have been the start of bringing familiarity to the way he wanted to play (Leeds until Brownhill's red)

We can all be “I told you so”, but how many of us thought Pisano might be a catalyst to becoming hard to beat?

How many of us would’ve picked Paterson to start v Leeds (after being benched) and then start him every single game since?

Maybe LJ has learned.  We will need to wait and see.  I hope he has, but none of us should be gloating either way, whether you think he’s the messiah or a very naughty boy.

This game has a habit of kicking Bristol City in the nuts.

Found a T shirt for you Dave.

il_570xN.1613570469_lb04_grande.jpg?v=15

6 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

Rubbish . No one wants him to fail but some(myself included) believe he could approach things differently . Continuity is good for a football club and everyone knows he has got feelings for the club and I genuinely hope he changes my mind. One of the main things that winds me up about him is his arrogance in the press . 

This 8 game run hasn’t proved anything we didn’t already know. Bristol city under lee Johnson go through runs of poor form which we struggle to get out of, followed by a run of results that are great and the recent run has backed this up. But I think that most fans will be concerned by performances because at the moment another run of poor form looks like it could happen at any time.

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Rubbish . No one wants him to fail but some(myself included) believe he could approach things differently . Continuity is good for a football club and everyone knows he has got feelings for the club and I genuinely hope he changes my mind. One of the main things that winds me up about him is his arrogance in the press . 

Why can't he be arrogant, most good managers have been. I think your find it's confidence in his and the teams ability. I like it and think the team needs it as there a young bunch. Why not want your team to be the best and get to the top? Nothing wrong with it at all. 

5 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

There are plenty that hate him, don't kid yourself!!  The praise is merited and long may it continue. Let's hope we can give the play offs a real go and get in a couple of top signings soon!! No reason why we can't build on these 8 games now and push for the top 6

You actually know that for a fact do you that people hate him ? People have actually told you that face to face have they ? Or is it just your opinion. 

1 hour ago, keynshamred said:

I think a few of the Johnson haters need to start eating a bit of humble pie tonight!! 8 games ago this forum was adimant he had to go. Well done Lansdown for sticking by your man, when it could have been easy to get rid. Just shows what patience can do for a club. I know it must continue but signs are getting better now. 

That is 8 good results in a row now. What a great run of form we are on and I think Johnson deserves alot of credit. I said a while ago when we were on our bad run that we were missing a few injured players and some coming back to fitness. O'dowda has made a massive difference since being back, someone who can commit players and relieve pressure and give the opposition something to worry about. Nice to see Bailey back today and he did very well, there are others who have come back to fitness and form! 

Our away form and defensive performances have been some of the best I've known in many years supporting this club, especially in this league. Defensively is definitely down to good coaching and organisation from the coaching side. I can't remember the last season we won so many away games and yet again comes down to setting up the team right, with good tactics and the right characters in the team. Well done Johnson! You carry on doing a great job for our great club. Long may it continue!! You reds!! 

I don’t think Johnson should go, but his inability to get consistent performances out of a group of players who I think can deliver such, suggests he’s not great.

it is what it is. 

Hes not awful but neither is he brilliant

1 minute ago, keynshamred said:

Why can't he be arrogant, most good managers have been. I think your find it's confidence in his and the teams ability. I like it and think the team needs it as there a young bunch. Why not want your team to be the best and get to the top? Nothing wrong with it at all. 

Totally agree there’s nothing wrong with confidence and showing ambition . To come out and say though in a national newspaper that he thinks he can win the prem with us and also stating he he wants European football in 5 years is cringeworthy . He also constantly says in his press conferences things about performances that we know are rubbish after watching the games. Just be honest , that’s all I want to hear. 

1 hour ago, zombie said:

I’m not sure what you were expecting Fordy, but I’m not an entitled fan who believes we belong in the top 10 of this tough division. We’re the only club in the top two thirds who’ve not played in the premiership. Our budget is nothing compared to today’s opponents.

How funny.

After watching this division quite intensely for the last 3 years, I firmly believe the current squad have the ability to compete in the top 10 in this division.

For whatever reason Lee Johnson cannot consistently get it out of them or give consistency of results.

Archived