IGNORED

The Championship FFP Thread (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

On 14/03/2024 at 19:00, Sandhurst Red said:

It's getting even worse for Reading - even more than Wycombe buying their training ground today.

I know a few folk connected to the club and they had auditors there today, looking for any assets. 

They are even considering dismantling part of the ground and selling off seats and rails as assets. That's how bad it has got.

Many locally think they will not be around in 3 weeks time. The inevitable is going to happen. And to think Dai Young is worth an apparent £17 Billion.... this is just spiteful to the EFL, who I must add should be held accountable for this and allowing him the opportunity to even do it. The bloke was rejected once with Hull and then swindled his way into Reading. 

Reading are an awful club in may respects, with an awful matchday experience, and some of the most plastic fans you could find - they have simply vanished as a fanbase since they left the Prem. That said, their most loyal fans don't deserve this. It outline so much of what is wrong with modern football. 

Not defending some of what has, and is happening at BS3, but those that crucify the Lansdown's would do well to see what happens when you don't have that support and then sell to the wrong person.

other consortium members were why the hull bid got rejected from the premier league, it wasn't down to young. if he's not got prior convictions or cases lodged against him and has significant cash in the bank, along with a decent business plan is mostly what they are looking for, and also why most people get rejected or rather never complete the final steps to get approved as they can't prove the funds.

I dont think you can blame the efl for what has happened at reading, it could happen at any club if the owners decide to cut off funding and they run at a negative cash flow. they have no control other than sanctions after they have bought the club unfortunatley and there is no way to change that as most club owners would object to having the additional liabilities put against their assets (which no doubt would make them worth less in some instances). 

On 18/03/2024 at 14:24, Mr Popodopolous said:

Percy says they're considering an Appeal.

4 points seems light given the turning down of bids for Brennan Johnson but until the Written Reasons are out and the table is updated it is hard to say really.

I think the BJ sale dates its what has reduced the points down to 4 tbh, while your still in breach of ffp on the period before by delaying the sale, it does not make financial sense to sell him for much less than they did sell him for while clubs were trying it on due to the accounts deadline they had to meet.

when your ruling on these cases and the reasoning behind is the financial health of clubs etc, they seem to have been clever and used the rules own purpose against them.

plus I think they may have given a penalty that they wanted to avoid an appeal.

to get rid of this situation every club should be forced to have their accounts start and end on the same date for the purposes of ffp or present ffp accounts for these periods.

for me the perfect dates should be based on upto the last cup final, ie the last date of the season, then you would close out this stupid argument, and it would also be fairer for clubs too - as you wouldn't have to be in a position where you chose to breach or sell a prized player for a low ball offer to not breach.

For me, immediately at the end of the season you should not be allowed a short period to do business at all to fix any breaches you have on the books from the season that has just closed out.

It does not match the spirit of ffp and its intentions

it encourages irresponsible owners to gamble with everything and hope they can find a sale to bail them out after the fact - we are seeing it with Leicester right now if the reports are correct.

if owners want to gamble in the summer then make sales in january when it dont work then so be it

it also gives poor value to the club selling the players as other clubs know they are behind on ffp, they either wait and hope they breach or pick the bones and offer much less than the players worth, clubs should not have to put themselves in that position.

but deals in the short period after the season has ended needs closing out as a loophole because I think it just adds to the problem - and moving forward clubs should not be allowed to use the same argument forest has used and the only way you can do this is by only being allowed to include deals upto a certain date that match the actual season player or calanadar year which starts with a window anyways. i prefer to match it to a season as then we avoid a loopholey transition year or two where people blame the new dates for the breach if they can make out based on the old dates they would have been fine.

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-learn-premier-league-9178706

Leicester City's hopes of avoiding breaching Premier League profitability and sustainability rules (PSR) have been handed a significant blow as a possible points deduction penalty looms.

The Foxes are yet to publish their accounts for the 2022/23 season. For the two previous seasons combined, they made losses of £125.5m, meaning a profit of more than £20m would be required to avoid being over the threshold.

Earlier this month, it was reported that City would be charged by the Premier League and could be faced with a 'hefty points deduction' for next season, should they return to the top flight.

READ MORE: Leicester City learn play-off dates which weren't even a thought before now

READ MORE: Nottingham Forest points deduction and what it means for Leicester City amid FFP worries

Since the concerns over the finances started, it has emerged that Leicester face the prospect of having to sell players by June 30 to avoid being charged with breaching PSR.

The start of July will mark the start of a new financial year meaning any sales after June 30 will not go towards the three-year cycle ending this year.

However, any hopes of selling any of their international stars are set to be diminished. According to the Daily Mail, international managers are set to refuse access to their squad members during the Euro 2024 tournament in Germany. The report claims that FA sources have said that any agents will be permitted to meet with their players to discuss transfers.

Players such as Danny Ward, Wout Faes and Jannik Vestergaard are all on course to travel to Germany for the tournament. However, should Leicester look to sell any of their international players before June 30, they may struggle to do so.

However, the likes of Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Harry Souttar and Patson Daka could be sold to help balance the books without having to overcome that hurdle.

Leicester need 20m to break even on ffp according to this. 

cracks me up that coz of euro 24 they wont be able to sell a lot of them in time due to being on international duty :laugh:, poor guys :laugh: 

i'm enjoying them slipping down the table as well tbh 🤣

• Thanks 1

PL Statement:

The Premier League has today referred Leicester City FC to an independent Commission for an alleged breach of Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSRs) and for failing to submit their audited financial accounts to the League.

The alleged breach relates to the assessment period ending Season 2022/23, when the club was a member of the Premier League. 

Leicester City were relegated to the EFL Championship prior to the introduction of the Premier League’s new Standard Directions, which prescribe a timeline within which PSR cases should be heard. Therefore, the proceedings will be conducted in accordance with a timetable to be set by the independent Commission, and its final decision will be published on the Premier League’s website. 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3938339

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Markthehorn

The EFL statement a few weeks ago said they were forecast to exceed the Upper Loss limit to this season. The £83m plus Allowables one.

EFL would also be seeking a points deduction in those circs should it crystallise.

I never knew there was an upper limit. I thought it was over a 3 year period.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I never knew there was an upper limit. I thought it was over a 3 year period.

There is an Upper Loss limit and it is over a 3 Year Period.

E.g.

PL- £35m x 3=£105m

Championship- £13m x 3=£39m

Side promoted after 2 Championship years.

£13m x 2 and £35m=£61m

Side with 2 PL years relegated

£35m x 2 and £13m=£83m

Plus all the Allowables etc.

Leicester to last year were looking not to exceed £105m plus Allowables, to the present year it is £83m plus Allowables.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Posted (edited)

The CFRP can actually get cases done in 6 weeks so which body will hear it. That includes an Appeal.

Screenshot_20240321-185957_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cdb44558441da941aee76b70028cba67.jpg

Screenshot_20240321-190011_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ce0b5b1b09b532a7d265c8f555906460.jpg

https://efl.com/governance/financial-regulation

Could the PL hand it to the EFL and vice versa?

*CFRU propose Agreed Decision.

*Leicester will surely trjrct.

*28 days max for a Hearing to be held.

Posted (edited)

New Owner Loan Write Off of £4m or so, the true loss thus is £17m before add-backs for P&S purposes.

2nd biggest loss in their history, £19-20m was perhaps their biggest the year they went into Administration.

Didn't release any UK Accounts but HK numbers suggest that was it for 2019-20. Hard to piece together for 2020-21 due to administration.

On 18/03/2024 at 15:15, 1960maaan said:

I love Paddy Power's social media, always good for a joke and a dig.

Screenshot2024-03-18at15_14_21.png.639c0e2021a9f699439cf0d6a86fdb2f.png

I'm sure Everton were way more in a breach than forrest tho, might not on the numbers they agreed on at the end of the case,

but it looked to me that they let them off a massive amount of money on several dubious items they simply didn't challenge evertons value on - as they had more than enough on items that were undisputable. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rob26 said:

I'm sure Everton were way more in a breach than forrest tho, might not on the numbers they agreed on at the end of the case,

but it looked to me that they let them off a massive amount of money on several dubious items they simply didn't challenge evertons value on - as they had more than enough on items that were undisputable. 

Everton getting down to a £124.5m was it from £284-285m pre tax in the Period is quite something really.

2018-19..-£111m down to -£58-59m in a non Covid year. That was a 13 month Period but surely the League didn't disregard a 13 month Period (see EFL v SWFC, they didn't when extended to 14 months). That were an odd precedent potentially.

2019-20 and 2020-21..The combined Covid Averaged year.. -£130m down to -£55m. More understandable. Saw a suggested-£41m in Covid x 2 so you knock £41m off the -£130m and then yes you can work downwards. Maybe there was some Player Impairment permitted too.

2021-22..-£44m down to -£10m.

That first one seems well out of kilter though.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Everton getting down to a £124.5m was it from £284-285m pre tax in the Period is quite something really.

2018-19..-£111m down to -£58-59m in a non Covid year. That was a 13 month Period but surely the League didn't disregard a 13 month Period (see EFL v SWFC, they didn't when extended to 14 months). That were an odd precedent potentially.

2019-20 and 2020-21..The combined Covid Averaged year.. -£130m down to -£55m. More understandable. Saw a suggested-£41m in Covid x 2 so you knock £41m off the -£130m and then yes you can work downwards. Maybe there was some Player Impairment permitted too.

2021-22..-£44m down to -£10m.

That first one seems well out of kilter though.

yeah I honest think the panel from the league wanted to send a point to them and make it so they wouldnt contest it and probs make it more manageable for following seasons.

although I don't agree with being punished twice for the same year, I think fair treatment is if you had a big over spend in 1 year for example you should have that year one become 1/3rd of your 3 year allowance, if you done on same on the other years as well meaning year 2 and 3 mean the next new year then they should be treated the same, if one year is massive in profit from them trying to break out of it then you need to take a independant view on it, as if the last year had 200m+ FFP profit there then maybe you would have to reduce that also so they dont open themselves up to taking 10 points then being able to spend 2-3x as much as they should, but feel if your done for a year then you shouldn't be done for the year again if - especially if it is unavoidable without a unbelievable sale. thinking about it it may be hard to work out when to do what, as no doubt the clubs may want a better option if one year helps more than the other.

i honestly wish all clubs would have to declare their numbers to ffp everytime a playing based contract is about to registered (extended/changed), if they are within FFP fine, if not the league should come back with a fee which covers all the payments and potential wages for the player that would fall outside of FFP. The money goes to a neutral account and can only be released on a drip as the costs come in, or the player is sold etc and part of the transfer you show how much more you need to pay and then get the balance back or it is available to get back.

the game wins as people are buying players for what ever they want to pay (no doubt fees go up for these free spenders) teams down the ladder benefit when they get this money and the owners can invest in their business without consequence, i'd imagine more clubs would get money up front from these teams if they had to cover the money anyways. no one needs to cheat no more and do it abroad as well. the clubs they are saying would spend like crazy already spend like crazy as have the revenue. but if they wanted to spend and maybe get there at a cost they could. you just have to make all this money be in the form of donations not equity or debt.

are you still allowed to donate in league one? is there any limits?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One more thing, Bournemouth Accounts are out and these make for interesting reading!

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/club-release-annual-accounts-for-2023/

The Profit Before Tax wad about £44.8m but this was inclusive of an Exceptional Debt Writeoff of £71.8m on Takeover.

If you exclude that..I wonder. How cannot be included?

You must exclude Cost of Promotion ffp the exclusions too..because Nottingham Forest had it excluded.

The Rolling Position for Bournemouth..pre tax and FFP.

2019-20..-£60m

2020-21..+£17m

(Average -£21.5m).

2021-22..-£55.5m

2022-23..+£44.8m

LESS £71.8m debt Write Off.

Pre Tax Pre adjusted PSR position -£27m.

-£104m. Down to £72m is the challenge, and I assim3 we rightly exclude Debt Writeoff and if Promotion Bonuses excluded for Nottingham Forest..hmm.

Cat 3 until recently 2 Academy and modest infrastructure plus Women's side.

They had another £80m or so net spend this season. Very few Transfer Profits again so far.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t forget £11m of Depreciation allowables this year

For Bournemouth? That is a rapid growth in Infrastructure, do you mean in 2022-23 or?

I think most of that maybe Player Amortisation as it may have bundled in together Depreciation and Amortisation in the headline numbers but I'm happy to be corrected.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For Bournemouth? That is a rapid growth in Infrastructure, do you mean in 2022-23 or?

Yep, it’s in the accounts…..or at least it would be if I read the right line.

As you were Mr P 🤣🤣🤣

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, it’s in the accounts…..or at least it would be if I read the right line.

As you were Mr P 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks..am a little intrigued by Bournemouth all told Dave, it appears they are made of teflon.

Naturally I have challenged the Bournemouth poster who posts about their Financials on their starting point and the Nottingham Forest precedent in respect of Promotion Bonuses, he thinks they are £22m within the 3 year FFP to last year which is eyebrow raising given relatively low Infrastructure add-backs etc and a -£104m position as starting point before Allowables etc.

Given their lack of sales too and increasing Amortisation and wage cost (£86m added, £1-2m in Profit on Disposal) it does make little sense.

Posted (edited)

Bournemouth

Screenshot_20240325-222750_OneDrive.jpg.33d0c31aaf10c4659ec91c7df571674b.jpgScreenshot_20240325-222819_OneDrive.jpg.44f7ce9b8f6f540057d80571345e3186.jpgScreenshot_20240325-222711_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.324e616660fbdae2fe9f6252d4d77991.jpg

Is it me or do Bournemouth pretty much just spend and spend and spend?

Someone explain it to me..that is a big spike on squad valuation. A £27m Profit, not much disposed, £86m more added to the amount to be Amortised..an £83m Loss Limit to this year and no notable Profit yet again so far.

Turning down bids for Kelly..