IGNORED

Window aftermath and rest of the season.

cidered abroad

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just to add to @Robbored and @Major Isewater‘s posts above, both Morrell and Walsh have shown in limited minutes they aren’t just involved to maje up the numbers, they’ve contributed when playing.  We have much more depth.

Last season we felt weaker unless we had Brownhill, Smith, Pack and Bryan across the midfield, and in some respects, Bryan on LM, meant we had a weaker LB in Magnússon.  This season we are much better off.

We’re stronger all round Dave - largely due to signings of Kalas and Webster to solidify the defence. Plenty of cover there as well with Wright,Baker, Kelly and Pisano all capable at CB.

Midfield was very thin after Walsh/Smith were  injured. It left just Brownhill and Pack but it gave LJ the opportunity to give Morrell some game time. Now Palmer has arrived and with Smith/Walsh not that far away from being available the midfield looks pdg.

Its up top that needs refreshing and possibly Semenyo could provide that.

8 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Well I hope the EFL take the appropriate FFP action, because I don't see how they all could afford that.

I think Nottingham Forest's position isn't so terrible. Leeds are in a pretty good place FFP wise (especially as they didn't strengthen yesterday in the end)!

Stoke are taking quite a big gamble but still technically fine right now, Aston Villa are just laughing at the regs and should be hammered, Sheffield Wednesday are breaching it but not like the 2 Birmingham clubs but nonetheless need stronger punishments and Derby is unclear but decent number of big sales in recent years.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There are no guarantees that a new forward would have fired us into the Prem but we are looking very lightweight if we lose Diedhiou to injury or suspension

I get this and it would be good to have another big un in the squad.   

However, we did well with just Weiman up front at the start of the season. And Bobby Reid did well on his own when Diedhiou was out last season.

Along with his hard work, Weiman greatest attribute is his intellegent movement.   We now have Palmer and Walsh, when fit, to feed him (though Pack can too).   Don't know enough about Semenyo to know how he'll fit in but if he's lively he may feed well off this too.   Certainly Taylor is bright and clever enough play in others too. 

Sometimes a forced change can work out well should it happen.

a little disappointed at the window, think most people are, but there are differences compared to last season, not least the fact that this time last year we looked like we were running empty - physically and mentally. reverse is true this Jan. Plus Palmer and Semenyo - who can't feel a bit excited.

Of course, wanted a striker, and a big name at that, but comparisons to last season aren't entirely fair. That said, I think we're all going to be gutted if a poor window once again kicks us in the balls. 

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Nottingham Forest's position isn't so terrible. Leeds are in a pretty good place FFP wise (especially as they didn't strengthen yesterday in the end)!

Stoke are taking quite a big gamble but still technically fine right now, Aston Villa are just laughing at the regs and should be hammered, Sheffield Wednesday are breaching it but not like the 2 Birmingham clubs but nonetheless need stronger punishments and Derby is unclear but decent number of big sales in recent years.

Pretty much agree with that assessment @Mr Popodopolous And I love your comment re Villa “ laughing at the regs”.

The thing that really confuses me however is that, taking them as an example, my understanding is that if they have breached they could get a points deduction during this season.

Given I am correct it seems a really huge gamble should the pick up and get into the top 6, a points deduction could take them back out of the play - offs.

My assesment is that they have 

a) Been assured by the EFL that there would be no points deduction and any punishment would take another form, or

b) They have taken legal advice and believe that they have grounds to fight any points deduction.

My money is on a).

The only way that FFP can continue is for clubs to be  punished with something that has material impact - a points deduction certainly has that, but as I have said previously, I just cannot see that happening.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Certainly don’t disagree with your post, but in scenario a) are the EFL aware of the extent of their overspend?

They may not be but it would appear to be incredibly naive to the point of recklessness for any club to carry on spending knowing the potential punishments.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Certainly don’t disagree with your post, but in scenario a) are the EFL aware of the extent of their overspend?

40 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

They may not be but it would appear to be incredibly naive to the point of recklessness for any club to carry on spending knowing the potential punishments.

This is an interesting and very pertinent point. 
Do the EFL have to wait until accounts are submitted ? Does the spend only become clear at the end of the season ? If this is the case , it would give a team the opportunity to spend wildly and take the risk on promotion. Then if you do go up the EFL rules aren't applicable and they would have chance to recoup with the prize money in the Prem. Very Risky and unfair to other teams.
But supposing said team misses out on Promotion, most teams seem to get embargoes and if you have already assembled the squad, is it really such a hardship. And a years non spending means a step back toward FFP's 3 year rotation.
I wait the first points deduction with baited breath .................. not really .

On 01/02/2019 at 00:08, 29AR said:

In my opinion it’s the fable of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

Right now, I say we could have sold Semenyo, which would have funded a big name on loan, and had an investment on him going forward whilst he was at a club who can sell their non first teamers for 8 figure sums. 

Instead we have gambled on him performing and selling him for more than a big name loan which may or may not have got us the biggest riches plus any sell on fee for him would have netted us. 

Stood in my shoes at 31 January 2019, I do not understand our approach. I literally cannot come close to understanding it. If we chucked a sell on clause, we were not only selling for £2m, more likely £4-5m+  

I wholeheartedly would have sold, paid Britts wages in full, had a bit of change from the initial fee and a sell on, and had a great story for the next year group going to Cheltenham, Newport, etc. 

Ask me in June 2019, I reserve the right to do a full u-turn haha. Only hindsight will show what’s right. 

We can judge the board’s strategy and critique it, and fall on either side of the fence through reasonable arguments, but what we all must do is warmly welcome Semenyo like we did Palmer even if he has less of an immediate impact. 

Or rather than "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" maybe it's "the grass is always greener on the other side". 

21 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

This is an interesting and very pertinent point. 
Do the EFL have to wait until accounts are submitted ? Does the spend only become clear at the end of the season ? If this is the case , it would give a team the opportunity to spend wildly and take the risk on promotion. Then if you do go up the EFL rules aren't applicable and they would have chance to recoup with the prize money in the Prem. Very Risky and unfair to other teams.
But supposing said team misses out on Promotion, most teams seem to get embargoes and if you have already assembled the squad, is it really such a hardship. And a years non spending means a step back toward FFP's 3 year rotation.
I wait the first points deduction with baited breath .................. not really .

My understanding but I am no expert, is that EFL clubs have to submit ‘projected’ accounts in early March and if they are in breach can be subject to a points deduction this season @Mr Popodopolous ?

If that is the case I am with you @1960maaan that simply won’t happen.

I can only imagine all hell breaking loose if say Villa are in the top 6 and say 8 points clear of 7th place and get a 12 point deduction!

@ScottishRed

They can be yes, subject to a points deduction, fine or whatever punishment the EFL deem appropriate in the existing season.

Projected accounts I believe are early March 2019 in this season or of the existing season. Plus the real accounts from the prior 2 seasons (all clubs have to submit last seasons accounts with the EFL by December 2018 or December of the existing season for the prior season). Whether it would go through or not? Uncharted waters- we don't know. Could they dock points/take the appropriate punishment at the end of the season or would it literally be end of March say? Again we don't know but it should be applied like this to be fair on all sides IMO.

Archived