IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

20 minutes ago, miser said:

1-0 defeat. 3 week layoff did us no favours. A number of players well off their game.

I thought I'd leave it for someone else to comment on first, but let's just say at half-time I texted my brother and told him to lump it on Brum (all £5 of it). Maybe worth a point today - Hayles looked decent in the first half.

Edit: Announcer clearly not a footy fan: Half-time score described as 'zero-zero'.

Edited by Sleepy1968

Really disappointing to lose the unbeaten run today. For the first half hour or so we were all over Brum and dictating the play. Every loose ball or 50-50 went our way and we kept the pressure on. It just needed a goal when on top to secure things but the chances were a touch scarce. Gradually, Birmingham got into the game and started to close down a lot of movement. Give them credit but they slowly squeezed us out.

We started the second half started like we finished the first - on the back foot. Whilst trying to move upfield we were caught by a ball wide when Cataldo and Powell were out of position. In fairness it was a good sweeping move that got us at the far post. Sadly, we didn't really have the neccessary to respond immediately. After 67 minutes we took off Layzell (injured?) and Palmer (who was fading from the game), which seemed a little risky at the time. Hayles was also taken off again - hope that injury will go away. However, we managed to get some momentum as the time ran out. Two strikes against the woodwork and a couple of scrambles in the Birmingham box were the limit today. Disappointing for the 3,000 in attendance; we now have four wins from four at the HPC, but only one point from two games at the Gate.

Saw a few players (especially Harrison) who looked lame at the end. She had a strange game, starting up front then dropping into the middle when Palmer went off and occasionally turning up at right back.

Hopefully the injured will be fit for the trip to Charlton in the Conti next Sunday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I thought I'd leave it for someone else to comment on first, but let's just say at half-time I texted my brother and told him to lump it on Brum (all £5 of it). Maybe worth a point today - Hayles looked decent in the first half.

Edit: Announcer clearly not a footy fan: Half-time score described as 'zero-zero'.

Sounded like a bingo caller to me! COYR 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I noticed that! Don't think it's someone that usually works at the club/Ashton Gate. Downsy is in Qatar & Toby Osborne is in Dubai (according to his Instagram stories, anyway)

Was some guy with a beard & long hair. Looked a bit like Joe Wicks but in a baggy City coat

Disappointing afternoon yesterday. Team didn't seem like themselves at times, as mentioned above by others. Also, London City Lionesses won yesterday, who now top the table by a point - although Bristol City have played a game less.

Also, London City's win was at Sheffield United - and that game broke the Championship attendance record set by Ashton Gate at the Liverpool game last season...

FiA866-WIAEkLiJ?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Disappointing afternoon yesterday. Team didn't seem like themselves at times, as mentioned above by others. Also, London City Lionesses won yesterday, who now top the table by a point - although Bristol City have played a game less.

Also, London City's win was at Sheffield United - and that game broke the Championship attendance record set by Ashton Gate at the Liverpool game last season...

FiA866-WIAEkLiJ?format=jpg&name=large

Pretty impressive stuff. Never say never, but I'd be amazed if City ever get that at this level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

City lose 2-1 to Charlton. Ex-loanee Kiera Skeels scored twice, and Abi Harrison came on as a sub to score in injury time.

With Lewes beating Crystal Palace 4-1, City are no longer top in Group D.

Final group game in the Conti Cup is away to Lewes on Friday 16 December

FilSEtgUUAAGXw0?format=jpg&name=large

Is it only me that sees Like Ayling? ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Sticking with all things cup related, City are in tonight's draw for the Women's FA Cup - ball number 1 in the South section. Games to be played on the weekend of 11th December 

Fipjy7iXgAEcwb9?format=jpg&name=medium

Draw just happened. City at home to Southampton. Considering City's remaining games in 2022 are all away, at least this means that there's now a home game.

Full draw:

FirUhKvX0AYZosX?format=jpg&name=small

FirUhKsWYAAh3ZA?format=jpg&name=small

League game away to Lewes had been rescheduled for...Tuesday 10th January at...6pm.

As well as the random kick off/date time (making it harder for any away supporters to get to), it'll now be the second of two consecutive games at the Dripping Pan - the Conti Cup group game is on Friday 16th December, and is the last game of 2022.

Edited by shahanshahan

4 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

@old_eastender we did sign a creative midfielder this summer in Emily Syme. I can't comment on today's game until I see the highlights (which would be out tomorrow), but it's a bit worrying when there hasn't been a win since the Charlton game at the end of October 

The problem today was that Palmer had a poor game and we lacked any muscle in midfield leaving Syme on her own. At the start of the season, we were winning the 50/50s. Not so much today. Felt a bit lightweight with the wind and rain not helping.