IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought the Heineken hospitality was a good deal at £30 (- ST discount usually?), shame I have other commitments. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/watch-city-women-take-on-saints-in-hospitality/

I believe @Dollymarie tried hospitality at a women's game last year & said she enjoyed it. Hospitality at a women's game is also cheaper than that for a men's game, but I understand both types of hospitality are similar 

I'd probably try it myself once if I weren't a City Women season ticket already! ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

I believe @Dollymarie tried hospitality at a women's game last year & said she enjoyed it. Hospitality at a women's game is also cheaper than that for a men's game, but I understand both types of hospitality are similar 

I'd probably try it myself once if I weren't a City Women season ticket already! ?

Yep was lovely, food was fab and me and my sister in law had a great time :) 

• Like 2

Todays North London derby attracted a record crowd of over 47,000. With the rapidly increasing interest in Women’s football then Football clubs must be realising the potential of a relatively new but potentially lucrative major revenue stream. No doubt our women having several games at Ashton Gate underlines this.

In what are financially troubled times for many football clubs the chance of a significantly increasing revenue stream emerging has to be good news. If our women’s team get back into the top division then how long before they could need a larger venue than the HPC for their games ? I imagine SL must be already considering potential options.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

If our women’s team get back into the top division then how long before they could need a larger venue than the HPC for their games ? I imagine SL must be already considering potential options.

I'd expect much more, or even all, games to be played at Ashton Gate. Of course that depends on availability due to the Bears playing there too

29 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Ha. I didn't realise the ticket selection system was restrictive, but it won't let me pick the seat I want ...

image.png.cb245963e6e67a98c76cc2f24597b11f.png

and for the one row in the block that has four consecutive seats left, unlucky if there's three of you going ...

That's odd. I've seen that before for certain cinemas but never for Bristol Sport booking! There's been times where I chose one seat available in a particular row, but because it was the only one there

1 minute ago, shahanshahan said:

That's odd. I've seen that before for certain cinemas but never for Bristol Sport booking! There's been times where I chose one seat available in a particular row, but because it was the only one there

Yep, certainly first time I've noticed it. There are a few 2 or 3 seat groups available (but no single seats). I've decided to watch Tommy Conway on the iplayer instead now because that along with the £3 on the day price rise put me off a bit.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I've decided to watch Tommy Conway on the iplayer instead now because that along with the £3 on the day price rise put me off a bit.

Oh that's a shame. Does the £3 price increase include the discount for City men season ticket holders (when you enter code SAINTS50, I think)? Also, City women season ticket holders get in for free, of course when they book their seat online 

Also, book your seat earlier for next time! ?

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Oh that's a shame. Does the £3 price increase include the discount for City men season ticket holders (when you enter code SAINTS50, I think)? Also, City women season ticket holders get in for free, of course when they book their seat online 

Also, book your seat earlier for next time! ?

Well done  you got me down for £5.50. Code worked with 'adult' but not 'Adult member'. 

I'm sat high in W17 with only a city training top on. It's a bit cold :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

1-0 at half time, Morgan on 29 min. Only frustration is that it is only the one.

Yep  a fairly comfortable game for city, but it's never safe when it's so close. I was a bit far away, but I'm not sure how abi Harrison missed when put through.

Shooting my way in 2nd half.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Southampton are in the rise…might be a decent point all things told.

City failed to capitalise on a one sided first half display, scoring one when they could have had at least two.

Southampton came out with a better plan for the second half: caught city cold almost from the restart for their goal, and were the only team likely to score until added time when City decided to up their game a bit.

Hayles looked quite lively at times, but neither she nor Abi Harrison have much pace to match their good close control.

Fair result overall.

• Thanks 2

I was half an hour late so missed what sounded like City's best spell. We were a bit disjointed today, which was a shame given the sizeable crowd. 

This is Southampton's first season as a professional outfit, so feels like you need to be winning games like this at home if we have ambitions on promotion. They looked physically bigger/stronger to me, but out players definitely looked better technicians.

Good to see Nahki Wells there watching too. 

• Like 1

First time I’ve been to watch the woman’s team. Took my little girl for her first experience of Ashton Gate, as well as her brother, who is now a regular! Really enjoyed it & so did the kids. Was impressed with some of City’s play, especially first half & probably should of added to their 1-0 lead. Started the second half sloppily & seemed to drop their tempo, as well as being a bit disjointed at times. Was impressed with City’s number 4, Layzell, she reads the game well & always looked comfortable. Aimee Palmer also stood out in the middle of the pitch. Abi Harrison & Shania Hayles in particular looked good, but maybe lack that bit of pace to go along with their ability. For Southampton, their number 20 stood out as their best player for me. All in all a good experience & will no doubt take the kids again. COYR 

• Like 1

Thought the result was not unfair in the end. City had by far the better of the first half and might look back at a couple of missed chances that would have made it a different game. However, give the Saints credit: they were business-like and had a solid, disciplined gameplan that finally paid off. In particular, Katie Wilkinson (20) caught the eye with a classy performance, barely putting a foot wrong all afternoon.

I liked Palmer and Syme starting to link up in the midfield, making a lot of the play going forward. Defensively we were sound and gave Southampton few real opportunities. But once again it looked a little more strained at the top end of the field. I know Abi Harrison is going to attract a lot of the opponents' attention, and she swapped places with Hayles and Morgan for a while, but it was a somewhat frustrating day for her. It often looked like she was alone up front and was expecting a teammate in close for the flicks.

Defensively we have some good talents who are forming a useful understanding. The one move that did us was a sweeping run up the flank, a first time low cross and a forward running in at just the right spot to score. It was a great goal, to be fair. With the equaliser just after the restart, it seeemed to knock the girls out of their stride a touch. The Saints slowly strangled the moves from midfield and it became increasingly difficult to get going. As with a recent game, we seemed to run out of steam and ideas as the second half went on.

Good to see a large crowd over getting on for 4,000 at the Gate. I reckon Saints must have brought a coach or two, so perhaps 3k home support. Better than the 500ish at the HPC. Might this make a few in the boardroom open up a conversation?

So the perfect record and the clean sheet is gone but City still top the Women's Championship by a point. What is a concern (as mentioned before) is that we have yet to play the teams now in the top half of that table. October is set with league clashes against Palace, Sheffield Utd and Charlton!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I was half an hour late so missed what sounded like City's best spell. We were a bit disjointed today, which was a shame given the sizeable crowd. 

This is Southampton's first season as a professional outfit, so feels like you need to be winning games like this at home if we have ambitions on promotion. They looked physically bigger/stronger to me, but out players definitely looked better technicians.

Good to see Nahki Wells there watching too. 

Sorry to hear you got there late @Kid in the Riot; was that because of the road closures due to the Great Bristol Run?

And yep, Morgan's goal was just before the 30 min mark. City had a much better first half than the second.

Great you saw Nahki! Where was he?

18 hours ago, Simon79 said:

First time I’ve been to watch the woman’s team. Took my little girl for her first experience of Ashton Gate, as well as her brother, who is now a regular! Really enjoyed it & so did the kids. Was impressed with some of City’s play, especially first half & probably should of added to their 1-0 lead. Started the second half sloppily & seemed to drop their tempo, as well as being a bit disjointed at times. Was impressed with City’s number 4, Layzell, she reads the game well & always looked comfortable. Aimee Palmer also stood out in the middle of the pitch. Abi Harrison & Shania Hayles in particular looked good, but maybe lack that bit of pace to go along with their ability. For Southampton, their number 20 stood out as their best player for me. All in all a good experience & will no doubt take the kids again. COYR 

Hope to see you & your family at the RHPC @Simon79!

Southampton's 20 is Katie Wilkinson, who is very experienced at Championship level with Aston Villa, Sheffield United & more recently Coventry United. Also agree that Layzell had a great game yesterday (as well as Emily Syme)

17 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Thought the result was not unfair in the end. City had by far the better of the first half and might look back at a couple of missed chances that would have made it a different game. However, give the Saints credit: they were business-like and had a solid, disciplined gameplan that finally paid off. In particular, Katie Wilkinson (20) caught the eye with a classy performance, barely putting a foot wrong all afternoon.

I liked Palmer and Syme starting to link up in the midfield, making a lot of the play going forward. Defensively we were sound and gave Southampton few real opportunities. But once again it looked a little more strained at the top end of the field. I know Abi Harrison is going to attract a lot of the opponents' attention, and she swapped places with Hayles and Morgan for a while, but it was a somewhat frustrating day for her. It often looked like she was alone up front and was expecting a teammate in close for the flicks.

Defensively we have some good talents who are forming a useful understanding. The one move that did us was a sweeping run up the flank, a first time low cross and a forward running in at just the right spot to score. It was a great goal, to be fair. With the equaliser just after the restart, it seeemed to knock the girls out of their stride a touch. The Saints slowly strangled the moves from midfield and it became increasingly difficult to get going. As with a recent game, we seemed to run out of steam and ideas as the second half went on.

Good to see a large crowd over getting on for 4,000 at the Gate. I reckon Saints must have brought a coach or two, so perhaps 3k home support. Better than the 500ish at the HPC. Might this make a few in the boardroom open up a conversation?

So the perfect record and the clean sheet is gone but City still top the Women's Championship by a point. What is a concern (as mentioned before) is that we have yet to play the teams now in the top half of that table. October is set with league clashes against Palace, Sheffield Utd and Charlton!

Great comments @Erithacus!