IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

On 22/09/2022 at 13:32, shahanshahan said:

My question is near the end of this, about doing a Bristolian accent. I wasn't expecting her follow up though *practices Glaswegian accent*

After contemplating or not for about 24 hours whether to upload it or not...I realised it wasn't going to get better. Here it is in none of it's glory...

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Hoping for a good start to the Conti Cup campaign. I'm not attending due to it being announced after I had already made other plans.

As expected, a few changes to give some players some first team action.

FeEAmNYXgAI2ErH?format=jpg&name=large

4-0 not a bad start. Should've,could've been more.

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon's entertainment at the RHPC and as miser says, should have been more.

Abi Harrison could have broken scoring records today if things had gone differently. One cleared off the line, smashed one against the bar, put two more wide and scored twice too. Glad to see she's got off the mark for the season, think more goals will follow. 

City overcame the loss of Vicky Bruce in the warm up and galloped into a two goal lead shortly after the halfway point of the first half (an Abi Harrison double) and when the chances came and went during the game, and with only a two goal lead, you feared what might happen if Palace pulled a goal back. Thankfully they didn't and City wrapped up the game with two in the final fifteen minutes, the second of which was a scorcher from Emily Syme. Been said before, usually by the esteemed @Erithacus, but Aimee Palmer makes evrything tick, such a good player and maybe a touch under rated. Other stars for me were Ffion Morgan and Emily Syme when she came on.

Depth wise, I think City are as strong as I've seen them and must almost have two very good players for each position now. Really enjoyed today and congratulations to Lauren & her staff for a great afternoon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great result today after a much improved performance. Right from the start the players were at a higher level than the last couple of games. Speed, precision and positivity were all better.

I can accept that teams regard the Conti Cup in a slightly different light and named less-typical starting XIs, but there were many who were under scrutiny. Even so, I thought City have a solid core and the 'fringe' players are more than capable. Good to see that Lauren Smith might have a happy headache for the next game.

Once City got into their stride, Palace were simply overwhelmed by neat passing and sweeping runs all over the park. Palmer was, once again, at the heart of things. She has a good engine and is a genuine box-to-box midfielder, breaking up plays and taking the initiative forwards. Shania Hayles was a real threat on either flank with hold-up play and quick bursts. Ffion Morgan was equally dangerous with her speed down the flanks; Harrison managed to get her tally up and running for the season with two well-taken strikes following good moves. I suspect she was disappointed to not complete the hat-trick with a couple of decent chances later on. Palace's keeper made a couple of good stops and the woodwork was kind to the visitors.

At the back, Liv Clark proved a competent keeper and hardly put a foot wrong, whilst the back line were always there whenever Palace got the ball into the box. Many times a striker was closed down by several red shirts, putting blocks in and denying the opportunity. Naomi Layzell was imperious at the centre of the line and always in control - a contender for PotM.

The subs came on and kept the pressure on a side I think will prove to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season - and made a statement for the league game against the same opponents in a few weeks. All in all it was a top class performance (if only we could have shown that against the Saints) and worth the trip to the HPC. Pity it was a modest turnout today as the missing fans will have missed a good one.

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

the esteemed @Erithacus

:blush: Shucks... you're the more authoritive between us HM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

The first home game I miss in over a year & it was a lively one...

Anyone else watched these highlights and noticed the commentary refers to Chloe Bull as Chloe O'Connor? Also, that Shania Hayles slip was unfortunate...

Sha, the highlights don't do it justice.

Accounts for Bristol City Women Football Club Limited were published on 5 October. Available to view here:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11460716/filing-history

It's an interesting read and underpins two things. Firstly, women's football makes no money, and secondly, the women's team is just as reliant on the Lansdowns as the men's team is.

Overall the Women's team made a £500,000 loss in 2021/22, up slightly from the £470,000 loss they made in 2020/21. This is mainly down to a drop of 75% in the income from player sales (down from £40,000 to just £10,000), but there is also a huge drop in "other operating income" (and if anyone knows what that might be then please speak up) this has gone from £170,000 in 2020/21 to just £10,500 last season...if anyone knows where that £160,000 is I am sure the Club would be interested to know.

The Men's team, which wholly owns the Women's team, ultimately covers these costs. In turn those costs are covered by Bristol City Holdings Ltd, and so on and so on up the chain through Guernsey to Lansdown's bank account. That half a million quid that is paid down the chain to cover the losses is paid in cash - not a loan and seemingly undocumented - and sits as debt on the books of the Women's club. Therefore that company is now £1.4m in debt to the men's team as opposed to the £0.9m it owed last season. Other debts total about £100,000. There has been an overall increase in debt of 50%.

There is some good news, although even that must be delivered with caution. Turnover was up about 20% from £312,000 to £370,000, a decent % increase even if the actual figures are tiny in the grand scheme of things. Staff costs (ie wages) have come down 17% from £690,000 to £574,000.  That all sounds really good, but it still means that the Women's team is spending a staggering 155% of its turnover on wages. This is down from a ludicrous 221% in season 2020/21. That 221% figure would be completely and utterly unsustainable, so well done to those involved for getting that ratio down from "insane" to merely "pretty silly".

All in all these numbers are chicken feed compared to the full group accounts which we expect to be published later this month - just as an example a spend of £574,000 on 34 staff gives an average annual wage of just under £17,000 also known as one week's wages for a high-profile men's team player. However it clearly shows that for all the growth and hype around the Women's game it is still nowhere near being a money making activity.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Accounts for Bristol City Women Football Club Limited were published on 5 October. Available to view here:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11460716/filing-history

It's an interesting read and underpins two things. Firstly, women's football makes no money, and secondly, the women's team is just as reliant on the Lansdowns as the men's team is.

Overall the Women's team made a £500,000 loss in 2021/22, up slightly from the £470,000 loss they made in 2020/21. This is mainly down to a drop of 75% in the income from player sales (down from £40,000 to just £10,000), but there is also a huge drop in "other operating income" (and if anyone knows what that might be then please speak up) this has gone from £170,000 in 2020/21 to just £10,500 last season...if anyone knows where that £160,000 is I am sure the Club would be interested to know.

The Men's team, which wholly owns the Women's team, ultimately covers these costs. In turn those costs are covered by Bristol City Holdings Ltd, and so on and so on up the chain through Guernsey to Lansdown's bank account. That half a million quid that is paid down the chain to cover the losses is paid in cash - not a loan and seemingly undocumented - and sits as debt on the books of the Women's club. Therefore that company is now £1.4m in debt to the men's team as opposed to the £0.9m it owed last season. Other debts total about £100,000. There has been an overall increase in debt of 50%.

There is some good news, although even that must be delivered with caution. Turnover was up about 20% from £312,000 to £370,000, a decent % increase even if the actual figures are tiny in the grand scheme of things. Staff costs (ie wages) have come down 17% from £690,000 to £574,000.  That all sounds really good, but it still means that the Women's team is spending a staggering 155% of its turnover on wages. This is down from a ludicrous 221% in season 2020/21. That 221% figure would be completely and utterly unsustainable, so well done to those involved for getting that ratio down from "insane" to merely "pretty silly".

All in all these numbers are chicken feed compared to the full group accounts which we expect to be published later this month - just as an example a spend of £574,000 on 34 staff gives an average annual wage of just under £17,000 also known as one week's wages for a high-profile men's team player. However it clearly shows that for all the growth and hype around the Women's game it is still nowhere near being a money making activity.

Saw this out the other day. Most women's teams; even in the WSL; don't even make a profit anyway.