IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

That was my first women's game in over 20 years. The last time being when England played at the memorial. 

Really enjoyed it. It was just a totally different atmosphere to the men's game. Basically no idiots shouting swearwords every 2 seconds. It was really refreshing and something the men's game needs to learn from. 

• Like 2

Just now, JBFC II said:

What difference does that have to do with it? City weren't relegated when the team sheet, with the drawings, was announced pre match.

Their position in the table is irrelevant. Do you really think any of the players care that a child has drawn a picture of them?

If anything, this sort of thing helps bring eyes into the women's game. A child who drew say, Abi Harrison, may now look out for her as their favourite player. It can only be a good thing

Bring eyes to Bristol city women ?

They will have barely any fans next year at the HPC . 

All the plastics here this season to see the other teams .

Bang average and amateur down there.

When you know you know

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

Just now, Eco said:

They'll still be playing at AG and crowds will be a lot lower?  At less than £4 a game for adults you can't complain about value for money.

It's £8 a game isn't it?

Just for comparison, when Reading were relegated last season, theirs were £70 for adults and £35 for u12s for the season after.

An increase after relegation, to what will (I'd presume) be comfortably the most expensive season ticket in the league, feels quite bizarre

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The only time I watch women’s football is when the England ladies are on TV.

I have never ever watched a women’s match ‘live’. However due the exposure our ladies get on the OS and local bulletins their results are kinda forced onto me.

I honestly couldn’t name one player from the women’s team.

Thank you for your contribution

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Admin
34 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Why are season tickets prices rising despite relegation?

city-women_season-tickets_pricing-table_twitface.jpg

BCW_2425_SeasonTickets_PricingTable_No_Creative-875x570.jpg

Are you seriously moaning about a £5 increase? 

Perhaps you would be better to understand how much the club loses by playing at Ashton Gate 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

When you know you know

They're playing at AG next season, not the HPC.

Not quite sure why the need to disparage the club or fans after this season in such a way, the support has been superb (5th highest in the league), who cares whether they're there to see England players or not?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

It's £8 a game isn't it?

Just for comparison, when Reading were relegated last season, theirs were £70 for adults and £35 for u12s for the season after.

An increase after relegation, to what will (I'd presume) be comfortably the most expensive season ticket in the league, feels quite bizarre

Yep my mistake, but even that seems reasonable.

4 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

When you know you know

Me and my son are men's season ticket holders. 

We only went along today because he asked me too because he supports Man City. We had some great banter between us ad he was cheering on Man City and I was cheering on us. You can't do that at a men's game. 

That was his first women's game. So what if he only wanted to go because we were playing Man City. Better than being out on the streets creating trouble. 

Don't know why you're letting this bother you. It has zero impact on your life. 

I actually found it refreshing seeing so many boys being really excited about watching a women's game. That is huge progress. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Are you seriously moaning about a £5 increase? 

Perhaps you would be better to understand how much the club loses by playing at Ashton Gate 

Any sort of increase after relegation seems odd really.

Had we been relegated to league one this season, I heavily doubt people would have been happy with a 6.25% increase across the board

• Admin
2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Any sort of increase after relegation seems odd really.

Had we been relegated to league one this season, I heavily doubt people would have been happy with a 6.25% increase across the board

I'd suggest that it's the funding required to stay at Ashton Gate 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not quite sure why the need to disparage the club or fans after this season in such a way, the support has been superb (5th highest in the league), who cares whether they're there to see England players 

How long have you been watching the ladies then ?

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not quite sure why the need to disparage the club or fans after this season in such a way, the support has been superb (5th highest in the league), who cares whether they're there to see England players or not?

If they are playing at Ashton gate next year  , then I would doubt they actually make a profit from the games.

Just now, phantom said:

I'd suggest that it's the funding required to stay at Ashton Gate 

Perhaps, I'd imagine there'll be a drop in season tickets next season anyway, so not sure how much of a difference that'll make.

It's also a £25 increase on their last championship season, which feels quite extortionate really

It just feels a bit odd to me, but I guess there's a reason I'm not in charge of these things!

7 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

How long have you been watching the ladies then ?

What does that have to do with anything? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

If they are playing at Ashton gate next year  , then I would doubt they actually make a profit from the games.

Likewise, I guess it's to increase attendances as much as possible. 2/3k watching them at AG would be way better than 1k at failand 

1 minute ago, When the river runs said:

I'd be surprised if they 2/3k in the championship even if they're giving tickets away.

Playing at AG I'd say it's very likely. Theyve been getting over 4k for the less Glamourous prem ties

• Robin 1

Went with my girls, been to a few games,  atmosphere is very different, much more friendly vibe, but feels a bit like a pop concert at times, but for the youngsters in the crowd it seemed to get them going.

Will probably get a season ticket as they are great value really for a nice day out & to support the club in a different way. Hopefully they back the team certainly brings more people out when some of the big name players are coming to town.

Actually prefer the female announcer to Downsy too, seems pretty knowledgeable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

For those of you with greater knowledge, do you see Lauren Smith as being the right coach to lead next seasons campaign?

I feel that (speaking purely as a fan here, not as a SC&T board member) Lauren has only been able to work with what resources she's been given.
I listened to the Gavin Marshall interview on the Forever Bristol City podcast where he admitted that the team have the smallest budget in the WSL.
I believe there has been more investment than last time in the WSL, but still not enough compared to all the other teams that have affiliations with Premier League clubs.

Overall, the performances have been a lot better for most games this season, despite the outcome. I would remember when Tanya Oxtoby was in charge and the team would sometimes be 3-0 or 4-0 down within 20/30 minutes. But tonight I was so impressed that we kept Man City to a 0-0 at half time.

Lauren's already proven her success in the Championship, but unfortunately only one team goes up to the WSL. And in this season, there was pretty much a five-horse race between Crystal Palace (eventual champions), Sunderland, Charlton Athletic, Southampton & Birmingham City. And with the likes of Newcastle & Portsmouth coming up to the Championship, it will be interesting.

Also depends on who stays & who goes over the summer (as well as who comes in).

The Fans Forum is happening this Wednesday evening at the SC&T Bar so fans have the opportunity to ask Lauren & Gavin themselves

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The only time I watch women’s football is when the England ladies are on TV.

I have never ever watched a women’s match ‘live’. However due the exposure our ladies get on the OS and local bulletins their results are kinda forced onto me.

I honestly couldn’t name one player from the women’s team.

I 100% believe that you never told us all this before.

In fact you spend so much time not telling us this, that I believe you don't have a squad poster stuck up on your bedroom wall.

• Haha 2

@shahanshahan @phantom

As a matter of interest, how much do you guys think Lansdown needed to put in this season to sign 4 or 5 players good enough to just stay up?

It would be interesting to see that cost compared with the drop in TV revenue (I assume relegation = a drop), lower season ticket numbers, POTD crowds and concession sales during the game.

I don't think the gap will be that big - regardless, another baffling decision by our great overlord.

• Like 1

So, the glaringly inevitable has come to pass. No last-minute, last-gasp stunners. No death-defying feats nor miracles. The atmosphere around the Gate was familiar, helped in no small amount by a large away contingent (despite Man C men playing at the same time at Forest) as well as the familiar Lioness spotters. Even the drummers were somewhat more muted than usual. It was all so...typical.

I dare say the team were more than aware of the situation and perhaps had already come to terms with relegation but this season has been difficult to describe in any other words than miserable. A tale of what could have been, not what was. But that's the reality and now we have to start to focus on the Championship - from now.

We started in an unusual 4-5-1 out formation, with Powell on the bench and Layzell at fullback. That may have had some surprise factor but the way Man City worked around us was not. Given some reshaping with Shaw out, Chloe Kelly played as a 9 and Lauren Hemp tucked in tighter than normal. Kelly often dropped short to take the pass, allowing Hemp and Coombes to fill in behind, opening space. Mary Fowler, the Aussie star, was able to flit into spaces on the right. For the most part we worked hard and held our defensive shape well, particularly in the first half. However, if the visitors had their shooting boots on the half time score would not have stayed at 0-0. We kept our nerve but on the odd occasion when we nicked possession, we squandered it very quickly. The match stats tell their own story: 33% possession, 3 shots - 0 on target. The visitors were miles ahead in that department.

One recurring feature was Man C skipper Alex Greenwood strolling about from centre half, doing her Beckenbauer impersonation and taking the ball 40-odd yards from her own box to near ours - no-one came to greet her as we were all locked into our formation. Although it was something of a blinder that broke the spell (helped by more standing off), more goals soon flew in.

It's no use trying to find real positives from this season, now that we will drop down, but I think the real value of our time back in the WSL will be measured in the next few seasons. Doubtless some players (and perhaps coaches) will depart soon, but those that stay will hopefully be steeled with this experience. It may be time in the bank, earning a bit of interest over the long term. All we need to do in cash out properly. Next season is already looking rather tough, what with those large clubs at the top end being joined by Newcastle and Portsmouth. Whoever will end up on top of that pile will have deserved the title.

And so the wait until the last home game. And the wait to earn just a single point from our fixtures; what a turnaround from twelve months ago. I hear that the club is looking to retain the use of Ashton Gate next season - it will be a strong move if so. We do have something to be proud of here, and it will need some courage to stay with it, both fans and board.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Our ladies aren’t strong enough for the WSL but too strong for the Championship and it’ll remain that way unless some serious investment is forthcoming.

Not a bad response from someone who has absolutely no interest in women's football.

• Thanks 1

It's a sorry but inevitable end to the season. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the WSL or City team, I've only seen a few games and only went to one. The thing that appears to me is they look like they are playing damage limitation lately . The Man U home game, they were clearly better and dominated, but City seemed keener to win the ball and actually created chances. The last couple of times I've seen them they have been very passive in getting the ball back, marking space and just trying to block lines by sitting in. 
Ok , it took a great goal to make the break through yesterday, but anyone watching knew it was a matter of time. City barely laid a glove on Man C, again yes they are clearly better but it didn't look like we really wanted to attack , just in case.  TBF it may be end of season and they have been beaten down to some extent, but surely they should be trying to win games when 4 wins over a season keeps you up. 

Early in the season we seemed to stay in games , create a couple of chances and maybe just fall away. Lately it's looked like capitulation and no self belief at all . 
I may be being unfair as there is such a massive gap in class , but it just felt better organisation and intent may have bridged the quality gap a little. 

IMO , the next step would be getting together the best recruitment and scouting team we can. Try and get the gems early, trawl the lower Leagues  and build for the future as there is no guarantee we will go back up next year.

• Like 1