IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is it these (after 70 minutes) 

20240414_201615.jpg

Nope it was our record in previous seasons v Arsenal plus the fact we'd lost xxx number of games after trailing at half time. Thanks for posting these though, scary enough.

• Like 1

Every time I flick over there another goal down , it must be soul destroying playing for city ladies , they seem to get battered every week , even when the scores are only 2 or 3 they seem to spend nearly all game defending , it’s as if anything below 3 is a victory , 

if the funding isn’t there by city ( which it obviously isn’t )  no point in being in the prem league of ladies football far to big a gap for them , they really can’t enjoy it 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spoons said:

This is hard to watch ….. 

I must admit I don’t watch a lot of women’s football, not because of any sort of sexism or misogyny, but it just doesn’t interest me in the same way as watching snooker or tennis doesn’t interest me.

But I am watching tonight and I would have to ask is this the way City have set up all season ?

Almost seems pointless playing, defending so deeply with no out ball.

Its just a training exercise for Arsenal

Edited by Back of the Dolman

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

I must admit I don’t watch a lot of women’s football, not because of any sort of sexism or misogyny, but it just doesn’t interest in the same way as watching snooker or tennis doesn’t interest me.

But I am watching tonight and I would have to ask is this the way City have set up all season ?

Almost seems pointless playing, defending so deeply with no out all.

Its just a training exercise for Arsenal

The games I’ve watched we defend as 3 units, and each unit is disconnected and easy to play through.  We knacker ourselves by not having any compactness, and are constantly doing doggies to close the ball down.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The games I’ve watched we defend as 3 units, and each unit is disconnected and easy to play through.  We knacker ourselves by not having any compactness, and are constantly doing doggies to close the ball down.

It does seem very poor defensively for a team who are clearly set up defensively.

No point being so defensive if you can’t defend as a team.

May as well try and play higher and put the opposition under pressure a bit 

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

Every time I flick over there another goal down , it must be soul destroying playing for city ladies , they seem to get battered every week , even when the scores are only 2 or 3 they seem to spend nearly all game defending , it’s as if anything below 3 is a victory , 

if the funding isn’t there by city ( which it obviously isn’t )  no point in being in the prem league of ladies football far to big a gap for them , they really can’t enjoy it 

City chose not to fund it properly, which is absolutely pathetic if you ask me.

I do genuinely feel sorry for our girls, most of whom are being asked to do a job beyond them.

If we ever get to the Prem, don't be too shocked if a similar investment strategy is implemented.

• Like 7

It's very different to how we played in the Championship. We tried to keep playing that way but got hammered by Man City and changed to a much more defensive set up. It almost immediately worked and results picked up but dropped off and January signings at West Ham vs the ones we made have made quite a difference.

Plus, in fairness, injuries to Furness, Layzell and others haven't helped.

Edited by astrondrew
  • Like 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly that, and to compound the problem we never pick up anyone, it's like they're fixed to a position somewhere on the pitch and have to stay there 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sadly, it's down to 3 things. The coaching and tactics have made it very hard to get results. I can't see LS learning a great deal from this and rebuilding next season. I would get a new coach. The players are simply not good enough for WPL. When you come up against seasoned internationals every week then it's tough. This leads on to the final point. Investment, recruitment and development. If Bristol Sport is serious about a WPL team then it will cost. 

• Thanks 1

Finally the final whistle. An end to that game and one which we realistically didn't have a chance with. Still a hard pill to swallow, but not unexpected, sadly. Amongst other stats to ponder over, the attendance was 3,500 (perhaps a late Sunday game has had some effect, but I suspect a lowly turnout by Gunner's standards. With West Ham picking up another point the gap is widening still further.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

Sadly, it's down to 3 things. The coaching and tactics have made it very hard to get results. I can't see LS learning a great deal from this and rebuilding next season. I would get a new coach. The players are simply not good enough for WPL. When you come up against seasoned internationals every week then it's tough. This leads on to the final point. Investment, recruitment and development. If Bristol Sport is serious about a WPL team then it will cost. 

See my post below. 

Comms on Sky / FA Player have seemingly leaked information in the past 

To me it needs a clean sweep, if nothing else to change the losing mentally. It must be difficult to keep going every week knowing you are on a different level to the opposition, and with our remaining fixtures our goal difference is going to take a real hammering 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Interesting on Sky comms they mentioned Lauren can relax as she knows whatever happens this season she'll be in charge next season 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I do like the crowd singing. 

It got more like cub campfire songs from the early 1980s

• Admin
Just now, Erithacus said:

Finally the final whistle. An end to that game and one which we realistically didn't have a chance with. Still a hard pill to swallow, but not unexpected, sadly. Amongst other stats to ponder over, the attendance was 3,500 (perhaps a late Sunday game has had some effect, but I suspect a lowly turnout by Gunner's standards. With West Ham picking up another point the gap is widening still further.

I'd imagine the fact their first team played earlier may have had an impact, but that ground has a capacity of 4,500 so not much short 

8 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

The women's team are a subsidiary of the men's team, and you need look no further than Gavin Marshall/Jon Lansdown--> Steve Lansdown. Guaranteed they'll be spending as little as possible next season. But good news, they won't need to scuff up the Ashton Gate pitch 11 times.

Edited by Sleepy1968

• Admin

Did anyone else notice when the game went into injury time how behind Fran Bentleys goal loads of kids appeared with those begging signs for shirts? 

Next shot of that area showed the stewards moving them all along lol

Just now, Sleepy1968 said:

But good news, they won't need to scuff up the Ashton Gate pitch 11 times.

Don’t be so sure about this 🤫

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, phantom said:

See my post below. 

Comms on Sky / FA Player have seemingly leaked information in the past 

To me it needs a clean sweep, if nothing else to change the losing mentally. It must be difficult to keep going every week knowing you are on a different level to the opposition, and with our remaining fixtures our goal difference is going to take a real hammering 

It got more like cub campfire songs from the early 1980s

I don't think Lauren being here next season was 'leaked info'. Didn't it come from an interview where it was mentioned that she had signed a new deal?

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I don't think Lauren being here next season was 'leaked info'. Didn't it come from an interview where it was mentioned that she had signed a new deal?

If you mean this, it's from last October 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smith-signs-new-long-term-deal/

I'm amazed after this season that her position isn't under threat 

The way it was said in comms was like she'd received some recent update 

• Like 2

Catching up on some posts now

On 14/04/2024 at 19:04, Eco said:

I do like the crowd singing. 

Yeah, the North Bank at Meadow Park was loud. Very vocal fanbase. Seemed even louder when I watched footage the game back 

On 14/04/2024 at 19:09, Lanterne Rouge said:

I particularly enjoyed the rousing rendition of `you`re shit ahhhhhh` from what sounded like a busload on a school trip!

I think Arsenal are the only fans I've heard to do that in women's football. I've tried to do it at games myself but am always conscious of kids being around. Although me & some others did try to do this for when Sabrina D'Angelo was in the goal in front of us during the first half, but she didn't take many big goal kicks

On 14/04/2024 at 19:42, Back of the Dolman said:

And renditions of ‘Bristol get battered everywhere they go’

I didn’t think that was part of the women’s games mantra.

I think they only sang that once towards the end of the first half. They mostly sang "Arsenal are massive, everywhere we go". Which makes more sense if they were at an away game, but each to their own.

Because there was a comparably smaller amount of away fans (in the opposite South Stand), I don't think most Arsenal fans in the North Bank saw or heard us. We kept singing as much as we could, and we were noisier than most Arsenal fans surrounding us in the South Stand terrace

In true NTTDS style, here are most of my away day photos!
Meadow Park in Borehamwood is a nice little ground. Not sure how long Arsenal will play there as they continue to have more games at the Emirates.
I'm definitely in no rush to go again but at least I can say I have now been!

DSC_5985.JPG

DSC_5986.JPG

DSC_5987.JPG

DSC_5988.JPG

DSC_5989.JPG

DSC_5990.JPG

DSC_5993.JPG

DSC_5994.JPG

DSC_5995.JPG

DSC_5996.JPG

DSC_5997.JPG

DSC_5998.JPG

DSC_5999.JPG

DSC_6000.JPG

DSC_6001.JPG

DSC_6002.JPG

DSC_6003.JPG

DSC_6004.JPG

DSC_6005.JPG

DSC_6006.JPG

DSC_6007.JPG

DSC_6008.JPG

DSC_6009.JPG

DSC_6010.JPG

DSC_6011.JPG

DSC_6012.JPG

DSC_6013.JPG

DSC_6014.JPG

DSC_6015.JPG

DSC_6016.JPG

DSC_6017.JPG

DSC_6018.JPG

DSC_6019.JPG

DSC_6020.JPG

DSC_6021.JPG

DSC_6022.JPG

DSC_6023.JPG

DSC_6024.JPG

DSC_6025.JPG

DSC_6026.JPG

DSC_6027.JPG

DSC_6028.JPG

DSC_6029.JPG

DSC_6030.JPG

DSC_6031.JPG

DSC_6032.JPG

DSC_6033.JPG

DSC_6034.JPG

DSC_6035.JPG

DSC_6036.JPG

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Meadow Park in Borehamwood is a nice little ground. Not sure how long Arsenal will play there as they continue to have more games at the Emirates.

DSC_5985.JPG

DSC_5986.JPG

DSC_5987.JPG

DSC_5988.JPG

DSC_5989.JPG

DSC_5990.JPG

DSC_5993.JPG

DSC_5994.JPG

DSC_5995.JPG

DSC_5996.JPG

DSC_5997.JPG

DSC_5998.JPG

DSC_5999.JPG

DSC_6000.JPG

DSC_6001.JPG

DSC_6002.JPG

DSC_6003.JPG

DSC_6004.JPG

DSC_6005.JPG

DSC_6006.JPG

DSC_6007.JPG

DSC_6008.JPG

DSC_6009.JPG

DSC_6010.JPG

DSC_6011.JPG

DSC_6012.JPG

DSC_6013.JPG

DSC_6014.JPG

DSC_6015.JPG

DSC_6016.JPG

DSC_6017.JPG

DSC_6018.JPG

DSC_6019.JPG

DSC_6020.JPG

DSC_6021.JPG

DSC_6022.JPG

DSC_6023.JPG

DSC_6024.JPG

DSC_6025.JPG

DSC_6026.JPG

DSC_6027.JPG

DSC_6028.JPG

DSC_6029.JPG

DSC_6030.JPG

DSC_6031.JPG

DSC_6032.JPG

DSC_6033.JPG

DSC_6034.JPG

DSC_6035.JPG

DSC_6036.JPG

Are there no bins at Meadow Park then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

DSC_5985.JPG

DSC_5986.JPG

DSC_5987.JPG

DSC_5988.JPG

DSC_5989.JPG

DSC_5990.JPG

DSC_5993.JPG

DSC_5994.JPG

DSC_5995.JPG

DSC_5996.JPG

DSC_5997.JPG

DSC_5998.JPG

DSC_5999.JPG

DSC_6000.JPG

DSC_6001.JPG

DSC_6002.JPG

DSC_6003.JPG

DSC_6004.JPG

DSC_6005.JPG

DSC_6006.JPG

DSC_6007.JPG

DSC_6008.JPG

DSC_6009.JPG

DSC_6010.JPG

DSC_6011.JPG

DSC_6012.JPG

DSC_6013.JPG

DSC_6014.JPG

DSC_6015.JPG

DSC_6016.JPG

DSC_6017.JPG

DSC_6018.JPG

DSC_6019.JPG

DSC_6020.JPG

DSC_6021.JPG

DSC_6022.JPG

DSC_6023.JPG

DSC_6024.JPG

DSC_6025.JPG

DSC_6026.JPG

DSC_6027.JPG

DSC_6028.JPG

DSC_6029.JPG

DSC_6030.JPG

DSC_6031.JPG

DSC_6032.JPG

DSC_6033.JPG

DSC_6034.JPG

DSC_6035.JPG

DSC_6036.JPG

Great stuff. Good to see a large contingent of Reds made the trip. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Are there no bins at Meadow Park then?

I get the joke, but I'll leave that purely for NTTDS.

I didn't get to see much of the concourse/burger van. Or Gunnersaurus (if he was actually there, but probably in the home end)