IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

5 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

It's going to be a long afternoon.  Like a training game for MU. We drop so deep when they are in possession, their players can play walking football. 

Not too bad after the goal, defensively anyway. Some hefty challenges from Rodgers, Hayles & Napier.  

23 minutes ago, Eco said:

0-2 final, game over once Napier was sent off. Glimpses of quality, battled their hearts out as usual but Utd strolled it really.

Totally agree. The gulf in quality is massive. Thestrup isolated constantly trying to press 3 central defenders. They could just stroll around and find a pass. Setup was about damage limitation, which worked due to poor MU finishing. Still a huge problem holding onto the ball. It's laudable trying to play out from the back, but the players aren't good enough. To many misplaced passes, particularly in midfield. I've said before that there is too much space in the formation of the team. It's too easy for teams to fill these gaps with a press, and force turnovers. Hopefully the players have learnt a lot, not sure about the coaching.  They could struggle in the Championship next season. 

• Like 1

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

Totally agree. The gulf in quality is massive. Thestrup isolated constantly trying to press 3 central defenders. They could just stroll around and find a pass. Setup was about damage limitation, which worked due to poor MU finishing. Still a huge problem holding onto the ball. It's laudable trying to play out from the back, but the players aren't good enough. To many misplaced passes, particularly in midfield. I've said before that there is too much space in the formation of the team. It's too easy for teams to fill these gaps with a press, and force turnovers. Hopefully the players have learnt a lot, not sure about the coaching.  They could struggle in the Championship next season. 

I actually believe that the side has regressed this past year and are a long way off where we were a year ago 

Lauren is as uninspiring as Liam on the touchline and her interviews are just as bad 

Lots of effort but a long way short of being good enough 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

I actually believe that the side has regressed this past year and are a long way off where we were a year ago 

Lauren is as uninspiring as Liam on the touchline and her interviews are just as bad 

Lots of effort but a long way short of being good enough 

I would agree Phantom. Little flair or personality. 

7 hours ago, Pippintogg said:

A quality midfielder, or two, is what we've missed all season, Emily Syme is probably the only one who looks comfortable on the ball but her lack of pace is an issue at this level unfortunately. IMO anyway. Not sure we'd struggle next season, depends how many of this season's squad we'd keep I suppose, also there may be talent in the Academy we're not aware of. Signing Thestrup was a stroke of genius but no doubt she'll be off if, or rather when, we go down. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Possibly too late for most, but a decent discount none the less being advertised by "Her Game Too" 

Hopefully will get wider publicity from the women's social media accounts 

20240318_210919.jpg

You'd hope so. Hopefully a decent crowd will turn up, maybe 6-7K for this one.

• Like 2

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/new-date-for-arsenal-trip/

Arsenal away now rescheduled for Sunday April 14th (Women's FA Cup semi-finals weekend), with a KO of 6.45pm as it's still going to be televised.
Supporter coach details to be fully confirmed soon.
Anyone that booked a coach ticket but can no longer make the rescheduled game should contact Supporter Services for a refund.
Arsenal Fan Services have emailed everyone that has bought match tickets (as they were selling tickets directly), and in that link is an email for anyone to claim a refund if they can no longer make the rescheduled fixture.

Belated upload from Sunday. My first time to Leigh Sports Village. Initially built (and still used) for rugby league, so there's a lot of references at the ground. Decent enough crowd of 4,254, considering it was United's first game at home in over a month. Probably could have been more if United men weren't at Old Trafford later that day.

Still a great performance compared to previous ones. Shame there were no City goals...

DSC_5753.JPG

DSC_5754.JPG

DSC_5756.JPG

DSC_5757.JPG

DSC_5758.JPG

DSC_5759.JPG

DSC_5760.JPG

DSC_5761.JPG

DSC_5762.JPG

DSC_5763.JPG

DSC_5764.JPG

DSC_5765.JPG

DSC_5766.JPG

DSC_5767.JPG

DSC_5768.JPG

DSC_5769.JPG

DSC_5770.JPG

DSC_5771.JPG

DSC_5772.JPG

DSC_5773.JPG

DSC_5774.JPG

DSC_5775.JPG

DSC_5776.JPG

DSC_5777.JPG

DSC_5778.JPG

DSC_5779.JPG

DSC_5780.JPG

DSC_5781.JPG

DSC_5782.JPG

DSC_5783.JPG

DSC_5784.JPG

DSC_5785.JPG

DSC_5786.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Belated upload from Sunday. My first time to Leigh Sports Village. Initially built (and still used) for rugby league, so there's a lot of references at the ground. Decent enough crowd of 4,254, considering it was United's first game at home in over a month. Probably could have been more if United men weren't at Old Trafford later that day.

Still a great performance compared to previous ones. Shame there were no City goals...

DSC_5753.JPG

DSC_5754.JPG

DSC_5756.JPG

DSC_5757.JPG

DSC_5758.JPG

DSC_5759.JPG

DSC_5760.JPG

DSC_5761.JPG

DSC_5762.JPG

DSC_5763.JPG

DSC_5764.JPG

DSC_5765.JPG

DSC_5766.JPG

DSC_5767.JPG

DSC_5768.JPG

DSC_5769.JPG

DSC_5770.JPG

DSC_5771.JPG

DSC_5772.JPG

DSC_5773.JPG

DSC_5774.JPG

DSC_5775.JPG

DSC_5776.JPG

DSC_5777.JPG

DSC_5778.JPG

DSC_5779.JPG

DSC_5780.JPG

DSC_5781.JPG

DSC_5782.JPG

DSC_5783.JPG

DSC_5784.JPG

DSC_5785.JPG

DSC_5786.JPG

Great stuff. If only Shania's shot had gone in or we'd made more use of the corners. Ah well.

• Like 1

Press conference from today.

Some key points:

Smith pleased with Man Utd performance, acknowledges the away support but still wants that home win. Has praise for former City loanee Grace Clinton & Spurs manager Robert Vilahamn.

Jamie-Lee Napier suspended again after being sent off (one match ban I assume as she had two bookings), Carrie Jones has damaged ligaments in her ankle & won't be available for Sunday or probably for Wales in next international break.

Kudos to the journalist who asked about the fans forum that was postponed for no reason that was made public, and Smith replied that it's likely to be held before end of season

• Admin
29 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Some key points:

Smith pleased with Man Utd performance, acknowledges the away support but still wants that home win. Has praise for former City loanee Grace Clinton & Spurs manager Robert Vilahamn.

Jamie-Lee Napier suspended again after being sent off (one match ban I assume as she had two bookings), Carrie Jones has damaged ligaments in her ankle & won't be available for Sunday or probably for Wales in next international break.

Kudos to the journalist who asked about the fans forum that was postponed for no reason that was made public, and Smith replied that it's likely to be held before end of season

Was there ever an official reason given for the Q&A being postponed? 

I'd have thought a longer ban as it was the second red card of the season 

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Some key points:

Wonder who'll replace Napier? Ward did pretty well tracking back after she came on, plus she's quick. I'd go with her. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Was there ever an official reason given for the Q&A being postponed? 

I'd have thought a longer ban as it was the second red card of the season 

None given by the club other than "unforeseen circumstances". However as it was the day before the Arms Fair took place, one theory is that questions about that could have been asked, and/or those against it could have turned up & disrupted it. Also, the team lost at home 7-3 the day before it was due to take place, which could have made things interesting if it went ahead on it's scheduled date.

As far as I'm aware, Napier has only been sent off once. She served one ban (the Brighton game) for getting five yellow cards

• Admin
14 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

None given by the club other than "unforeseen circumstances". However as it was the day before the Arms Fair took place, one theory is that questions about that could have been asked, and/or those against it could have turned up & disrupted it. Also, the team lost at home 7-3 the day before it was due to take place, which could have made things interesting if it went ahead on it's scheduled date.

As far as I'm aware, Napier has only been sent off once. She served one ban (the Brighton game) for getting five yellow cards

Ahh, I misunderstood, I wrongly assumed the suspension was for a previous red

• Like 1

There could not be a greater example of the false equivalence that goes on in the local media than the fact that both City & Rovers’ women’s teams are at home today.

City play Spurs, Rovers play Liskeard.

Bet the chasm in standard doesn’t get pointed out once.

• Like 1

I understand the Gas Girls are already promoted (as of last week's other results) and have sold over 1,000 tickets for their game at the Mem. Could this be a new rivalry in the making?

Meanwhile, in today's game against Spurs it is an imperative that we win. No other result is of any use. We simply cannot go without a victory, what with the remaining fixtures. I will hope that the girls will have it in them to produce the performance that they are capable of and emerge with renewed confidence. However, an adverse outcome will be a nail in the coffin, I fear.

Given that the other teams at the wrong end are not expected to have any fortune today, it may be that that we could do ourselves a huge favour in winning. I'll also hope that there is a big crowd too. It's getting late in the season and we need everything to go our way now.

COYR!

What a way to treat the goalkeepers. Gets Shae in from America, plays several games and does little wrong, gets dropped for Liv Clark (who herself had played consistently well for City and Wales before getting replaced) for the biggest game of the season against Brighton. Shae gets put back in for one game, again does little wrong, and is now dropped for Fran, who presumably won't want to stick around when we get relegated. Crazy selection process.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Super said:

One down 

Same problems as usual. Early goal  conceding possession through poor passing, getting hurried in possession. Better press when spurs keeper has the ball, but should be 2 down. Poor miss from spurs.

Not a massive follower of the women’s team but do like to keep an eye on results as tbf it’s Bristol city and anything Bristol city catches my eye , but every time I look at a result or match stats we have nearly always lost and the match stats are always pretty much veryone sided , are we really that bad in this division I know the women’s game has grown massively are we that far behind the game line and is it simpley , funding 

1 minute ago, redkev said:

Not a massive follower of the women’s team but do like to keep an eye on results as tbf it’s Bristol city and anything Bristol city catches my eye , but every time I look at a result or match stats we have nearly always lost and the match stats are always pretty much veryone sided , are we really that bad in this division I know the women’s game has grown massively are we that far behind the game line and is it simpley , funding 

We are a long way behind the top teams in the PL. It's all about funding now the big clubs have decided the women's game is worth investing in. Like the men's team we can't compete unless we invest. Although it's a lot more affordable in the WPL. However, the best players are always going to be attracted by the big name clubs. I'm not sure about the pathway for younger players to progress, but would hope that it can follow the model of the men's team. Apart from selling our best players! I think the coaching has been poor this season, very little plan B and performances have been predictable. 

• Like 1