IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

18 minutes ago, Eco said:

Great stuff. Good to see a large contingent of Reds made the trip. 

Definitely! The supporters coach was a near sell-out. And I know more people would have gone but couldn't make the re-arranged date. Did see a few City supporters that made their own way up, and saw a few of those that are London-based (hi @SinéadB!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Fair point. Removed 😄

(For those that missed it, it was a picture of the scoreboard (when it was eventually working)

I admire your dedication Shahan.It must be a tough season for all of you dedicated supporters in what feels like a season of wasted opportunity. I was at the game at Ashton Gate when they won promotion and it is pretty sad to see how this season has unfolded.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Slacker said:

I admire your dedication Shahan.It must be a tough season for all of you dedicated supporters in what feels like a season of wasted opportunity. I was at the game at Ashton Gate when they won promotion and it is pretty sad to see how this season has unfolded.

Thank you! And I did say to say myself that I wanted to do every WSL away game if possible (which looks like I will), especially if there'll be no opportunity to do so next season.

And yes, it's coming up to the one year anniversary of that promotion game. If we don't win at home against Liverpool on Saturday, it will be a full calendar year without a win at home in all competitions 

10 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Thank you! And I did say to say myself that I wanted to do every WSL away game if possible (which looks like I will), especially if there'll be no opportunity to do so next season.

And yes, it's coming up to the one year anniversary of that promotion game. If we don't win at home against Liverpool on Saturday, it will be a full calendar year without a win at home in all competitions 

Such a shame, especially when you consider the fantastic home support the team has had this year. 

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Such a shame, especially when you consider the fantastic home support the team has had this year. 

I would be surprised if we keep similar numbers the "Lioness" impact and "named" opposition clearly added thousands to crowds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I would be surprised if we keep similar numbers the "Lioness" impact and "named" opposition clearly added thousands to crowds

I think you are right. I imagine attendances will fall off a cliff next season. 

• Like 1

If relegation is confirmed, I wonder if the club will remain at the Gate next season. (Incidentally, what are the regulations for grounds in the Championship?) I reckon sustained attendances at home this season levels out around 4,000. Attendances at the HPC are significantly smaller due to its restricted size so perhaps there is a feeling that the women could retain a good number of supporters if they stayed. It would be nice to hear what the club is planning on. I dare say there won't be the large turn-outs without the Lioness factor, but that last promotion game did bring out a big crowd.

• Like 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

If relegation is confirmed, I wonder if the club will remain at the Gate next season. (Incidentally, what are the regulations for grounds in the Championship?) I reckon sustained attendances at home this season levels out around 4,000. Attendances at the HPC are significantly smaller due to its restricted size so perhaps there is a feeling that the women could retain a good number of supporters if they stayed. It would be nice to hear what the club is planning on. I dare say there won't be the large turn-outs without the Lioness factor, but that last promotion game did bring out a big crowd.

There are discussions already taking place about this within in the club and during one of the recent SC&T weekly meetings with the club about improving the atmosphere this topic was discussed. Obviously there were confidential financial and logistical details discussed and it is going to be a difficult outcome either way.

Personally speaking it is hard a very tricky decision as ultimately it is not only about the supporter experience but where the women's side would prefer to play. If we dropped to crowds of 1000 would the preference be to play in front of those 1000 people crammed into the HPC, or would it be better having 1000 completely lost in an empty AG8?

Clearly it is down to numbers expected as the HPC only has 400 seats and three of the sides of the ground don't even have cover or basic facilities.

• Admin

The Championship is looking really interesting to see who will be taking our place 

This Sunday (21/04) is:

Lewes (11th) Vs Crystal Palace (1st)

Sunderland (2nd) Vs Charlton (3rd) 

Sunday 28/04 is:

Charlton (3rd) Vs Southampton (4th)

Crystal Palace (1st) Vs Sunderland (2nd)

Screenshot_20240419_110035_Flashscore.jpg

1 hour ago, phantom said:

The Championship is looking really interesting to see who will be taking our place 

This Sunday (21/04) is:

Sunday 28/04 is:

Also, this is the first season where the bottom two are relegated.
Last weekend, both Newcastle United & Portsmouth won promotion to the Championship after winning the National League North & South respectively.
(Pompey having their men's & women's teams promoted to both Championships at the same time? Crazy)

The Championship has been mad this season as there has been no clear frontrunner, and one reason why I am worried if City do indeed relegated, it would be a struggle to get promoted back up right away

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Also, this is the first season where the bottom two are relegated.
Last weekend, both Newcastle United & Portsmouth won promotion to the Championship after winning the National League North & South respectively.
(Pompey having their men's & women's teams promoted to both Championships at the same time? Crazy)

The Championship has been mad this season as there has been no clear frontrunner, and one reason why I am worried if City do indeed relegated, it would be a struggle to get promoted back up right away

Yep, gonna be mega competitive to get back up.

• Sad 1

Some key points from the press conference:
- Abi Harrison back in contention for the squad this weekend
- Carrie Jones will be in the squad this weekend but Lauren Smith doesn't know yet if she'll play or not
- Smith still doesn't think there's any major reason why the team hasn't won at home
- A journalist in attendance said "Good luck for Sunday" not realising the game is on Saturday

8 hours ago, phantom said:

This Sunday (21/04) is:

Sunday 28/04 is:

Screenshot_20240419_110035_Flashscore.jpg

I hope Lewes stay up, they have a unique stadium and sound a proper club.

4 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Some key points from the press conference:
- Abi Harrison back in contention for the squad this weekend
- Carrie Jones will be in the squad this weekend but Lauren Smith doesn't know yet if she'll play or not
- Smith still doesn't think there's any major reason why the team hasn't won at home
- A journalist in attendance said "Good luck for Sunday" not realising the game is on Saturday

Could this be our first W? Liverpool have nothing to play for, well, 4th maybe.

• Robin 1

Yanez, Layzell, Bull (first WSL start), Furness come in for Bentley (illness), Powell, Stratigakis, Evans. Harrison makes the bench

KO 12.30pm, live on FA Player & BBC Radio Bristol. I'm not at the game today as I'm in Norwich to see the men's team today. So it seems very fitting for the women to finally win at home this afternoon

GLmfd4-X0AA6AbR?format=jpg&name=medium

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

That irritating band are playing rand shit during the game again 🤦

What's the obsession with having them at the games so often? 

If you mean the drummers, I had the misfortune to sit in front of them at the recent game against Spurs. They bring absolutely nothing to the match day experience.

• Like 3

• Admin

Just realised that they are stood pitchside between the Dolman and Atyeo stands where the stewards / police normally stand 

Who in their right mind thought it's a good idea to book a samba band to play constantly through the game 

• Like 2

• Admin

Lots of huff and puff but never looked like scoring 

We looked stronger with Furness on the pitch, but once her and Morgan were subbed off our chances were all but done 

I'm at a loss why it took until the 93rd minute to bring on Harrison for defender 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Lots of huff and puff but never looked like scoring 

We looked stronger with Furness on the pitch, but once her and Morgan were subbed off our chances were all but done 

I'm at a loss why it took until the 93rd minute to bring on Harrison for defender 

That was the best I've seen them this season at home, possession-wise it felt pretty equal. Thestrup had a great chance blasted straight at the keeper, she also should have been put through by Rodgers (think) 1st half but the pass was overhit. A few goalmouth scrambles and Evans had a decent effort. All in all a decent team performance, especially first half where Furness was a big influence. Kudos to Jasmine Bull, she done well as they say. Personally I like the drummers.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Eco said:

Personally I like the drummers.

You've got to be on a wind up? 

They played almost constantly through the 90 minutes, offering nothing to the atmosphere

I've never been aware of this at any UK ground apart from ours 

People are there to watch a football match not some two bob drum outfit 

• Like 1

• Admin

Slightly WSL related, was a great result for Chelsea winning 1-0 in the first leg of the Champions league semi final in Barcelona 

Their first home defeat since February 2019 

Now to finish the job off next Saturday evening 

• Like 1

Intrigued to see 4,700 at the Gate - I was wondering if the Saturday lunchtime fixture would clash or draw new fans who would be otherwise at local matches instead on Sundays. I imagine Liverpool brought a few.

But the bottom line is...another home defeat. Looking at this season we have had nine home league games and lost the lot, not including a Cup game against Liverpool. The only positives were 1-1 draws in the Conti Cup - at the HPC! Ashton Gate has been a total loss and with only Man City and Everton left I fear there will not be any relief. Even though Man C are currently stuffing West Ham, I don't feel it will prevent the inevitable.

On 20/04/2024 at 11:56, phantom said:

I know Fran is ill today, but it's amazing how often we've swapped our keeper from game to game 

It's been ridiculous. With none of them doing badly at all. Serve Smith right if they all cleared off to better clubs.

1 hour ago, Coach said:

It's been ridiculous. With none of them doing badly at all. Serve Smith right if they all cleared off to better clubs.

Yaneltz was good yesterday, the charged down kick notwithstanding.