IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

25 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

The numbers attending this season have been excellent, imagine what they might've been like if we had one England player, one star, or managed to win two or three at home. Or played Barcelona at AG now. Imagine Arsenal's crowds if they had our team.

When West Ham played Everton in December the crowd was 614. When we played Arsenal away, it was 3,500.

Leicester are a good comparison, playing at their own ground like us: average 2,300 or so. To our 7000 plus. I don't think "plastics" quite explains this entirely.

Sadly, I fear it will be quite some time now for local (girls) fans to see the top level of women's football and all the top players. Very disappointing. 

I think it shows that the City of Bristol and indeed the whole region is crying out for success. 

We've seen it with attendences at AG for he men's team and the rugby, England ladies, England u21s etc etc etc. 

It is a huge shame that Lansdown decided not to invest. He'll probably now spend years 'investing' to try and get back in the WSL. I just hope the ship hasn't sailed and that we are able to get back there shortly. 

• Like 3

A lot of the ladies are too good for the Championship, but most are not quite good enough for the WSL. Take Abi Harrison for example. Tore the Championship a new one last season, yet this season (albeit with a number of injuries) just hasn't performed to the same standard. Probably due to being constantly played as a midfielder as Smith insisted on carrying on with the 1 up top approach. 

As long as the core of this team is kept together, three or four quality additions should mean that they are at least competitive next season. There will also be the chance for the younger ladies (Mari Ward, Fearne Slocombe) to get some serious game time, and the experience that comes with it. 

There's also no reason why the club can't look for the best talents in the Championship (a bit like Cotts did in League 1), there are some definite diamonds to be picked up. Jamie-Lee Napier came from London City, and was a good fit for the team in the WSL.

Lastly, no more over-the-hill journey women! Take Lisa Evans. Yes, she has a lot of experience (100ish games for Bayern and Arsenal) but she has done next to nothing since being signed in January, there was obviously a reason why West Ham let her join their closest relegation rivals! If older players must be signed, more in the mould of Rachel Furness please!

• Like 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

@shahanshahan @phantom

As a matter of interest, how much do you guys think Lansdown needed to put in this season to sign 4 or 5 players good enough to just stay up?

It would be interesting to see that cost compared with the drop in TV revenue (I assume relegation = a drop), lower season ticket numbers, POTD crowds and concession sales during the game.

I don't think the gap will be that big - regardless, another baffling decision by our great overlord.

Actual amounts I have no idea of, but like all clubs the money comes out of the same budget as the men's teams

Clearly we don't have an EPL budget so the pot we can use is that much smaller to start with, but if say every club spent 10% on their women's teams it is clear we can't compete with the other sides

I believe in terms of what we can spend, we bought to our maximum spending, but it just goes to show how much the EPL dominates all things football in England

• Admin
11 hours ago, When the river runs said:

If they are playing at Ashton gate next year  , then I would doubt they actually make a profit from the games.

I thought you knew everything?

They are making losses this season

11 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Perhaps, I'd imagine there'll be a drop in season tickets next season anyway, so not sure how much of a difference that'll make.

It's also a £25 increase on their last championship season, which feels quite extortionate really

It just feels a bit odd to me, but I guess there's a reason I'm not in charge of these things!

What does that have to do with anything? 

Fair point, I didn't take that into account

I guess the way to justify it is the improvement in facilities. Compare the HPC to AG8 I am sure it is worth the increase

11 hours ago, When the river runs said:

You haven't a clue mate. 

10 years plus

Of course I don't. All those meetings with the SC&T and with Bristol City and Tom Rawcliffe clearly you know better than me 

No idea what you mean by "10 years plus"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I guess the way to justify it is the improvement in facilities. Compare the HPC to AG8 I am sure it is worth the increase

Of course I don't. All those meetings with the SC&T and with Bristol City and Tom Rawcliffe clearly you know better than me 

Yep that's fair. 

To give the club credit, they've done a good job marketing it. Really hope the youngsters who have been drawn in this season stay now for the next couple.

Next season will be tough, no doubt, but if they can have a couple of thousand each week that will only help

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I've been down there roughly that long and seen what an absolute joke it is.

When the girls parents of the academy are paying subs to supply the womens kit , balls etc

Even heard it from Wille Kirk telling parents there is no money invested

Like I said I know to an extent what it's like probably more than most

• Facepalm 1

Just now, When the river runs said:

When the girls parents of the academy are paying subs to supply the womens kit , balls etc

Just now, When the river runs said:

Tell me it's not true . You my friend are a keyboard warrior 

• Haha 2

• Admin
18 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Tell me it's not true . You my friend are a keyboard warrior 

What, the same Willie Kirk that left SIX YEARS AGO, stop living in the past 

15 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

And that's the tip of the iceberg. 

I won't even go into how bent it is down there

Put up or shut up!! 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

What, the same Willie Kirk that left SIX YEARS AGO, stop living in the past 

Put up or shut up!! 

You make me laugh mate

it looks as if nothing has changed in fact possibly worse.

My point was... that I've been there that long to have an idea as to what and how it goes on.

You are brave on the net telling me to shut up. As I said a keyboard warrior 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

You make me laugh mate

it looks as if nothing has changed in fact possibly worse.

My point was... that I've been there that long to have an idea as to what and how it goes on.

You are brave on the net telling me to shut up. As I said a keyboard warrior 

I didn't tell you to shut up!! 

It's not a secret that the women's academy needed changing, which it has in the time SINCE Kirk left us. 

But you have gone from referring to investment in the womens first team to the academy team. It would help if you clarified which side you are commenting about. 

Look at the clubs latest accounts and you can see for yourself the increased investment in the women's team it's very easy to see. 

I'm sure there is an element of self funding in the women's academy younger levels, but I'd bet that's not unique to just them 

You'd probably do best to understand what a keyboard warrior is aswell 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, phantom said:

I didn't tell you to shut up!! 

It's not a secret that the women's academy needed changing, which it has in the time SINCE Kirk left us. 

But you have gone from referring to investment in the womens first team to the academy team. It would help if you clarified which side you are commenting about. 

Look at the clubs latest accounts and you can see for yourself the increased investment in the women's team it's very easy to see. 

I'm sure there is an element of self funding in the women's academy younger levels, but I'd bet that's not unique to just them 

You'd probably do best to understand what a keyboard warrior is aswell 

Have you taken your medicine as your personality disorder seems to be kicking right the in last couple of days.

Since you got a diagnosis , I  guess now you can excuse yourself for being a c***🤣🤣.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I really like this 

I am critical of our media team but this is absolutely spot on 

This is good, you say? I'm not a consumer of any of this stuff but that to me is made for people with very short attention spans experiencing a sugar "high" or some other attention problem. Absolutely dreadful (but perhaps, as you say, "spot on" for those it is aimed at).

31 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Have you taken your medicine as your personality disorder seems to be kicking right the in last couple of days.

Since you got a diagnosis , I  guess now you can excuse yourself for being a c***🤣🤣.

@phantom has responded with a fair bit of information and facts to what you've said, he's clearly someone who knows a lot about where the women's side of things is at right now, especially with his role with the SC&T.

Just as a suggestion, if you want to debate it with him (and as you've said, you've been around BCFC women for a while, so you have the capability to do so) then go ahead, that's what a forum is for. 

Name calling, and attacking the poster, isn't what the forum is for, however. Especially towards an Admin.

Everyone is disappointed about yesterday, and the season as a whole. But let's not turn petty and turn against each other. The only way the team will get out of the championship in the next few years is through everyone singing from the same hymn sheet, there's absolutely no need to be offensive towards other supporters just because you have a different opinion

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

@phantom has responded with a fair bit of information and facts to what you've said, he's clearly someone who knows a lot about where the women's side of things is at right now, especially with his role with the SC&T.

Just as a suggestion, if you want to debate it with him (and as you've said, you've been around BCFC women for a while, so you have the capability to do so) then go ahead, that's what a forum is for. 

Name calling, and attacking the poster, isn't what the forum is for, however. Especially towards an Admin.

Everyone is disappointed about yesterday, and the season as a whole. But let's not turn petty and turn against each other. The only way the team will get out of the championship in the next few years is through everyone singing from the same hymn sheet, there's absolutely no need to be offensive towards other supporters just because you have a different opinion

it's got nothing to do with you.

You already showed me how wet and limp wristed you are yesterday.

People on here trying to tell you how it is  when you've had a massive insight into it for yourself.

1 minute ago, When the river runs said:

People on here trying to tell you how it is  when you've had a massive insight into it for yourself.

Maybe you could try giving some specific examples rather than working purely in innuendo?

It's also interesting to see Willie Kirk held up as a good judge considering his own fortunes in recent weeks.

32 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

Would be fascinated to see where I was 'wet and limp wristed' yesterday, examples would be good. 

Examples of your 'massive insight' would also help, you've mentioned it a few times now but not actually backed it up with anything substantive

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, When the river runs said:

You’re posting on an open forum so ultimately it’s got something to do with everybody reading it.

No need for anybody to make offensive comments and ultimately if you didn’t want anyone else to form an opinion or contribute to the thread then private message.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

You’re posting on an open forum so ultimately it’s got something to do with everybody reading it.

No need for anybody to make offensive comments and ultimately if you didn’t want anyone else to form an opinion or contribute to the thread then private 

Give it a rest mate.

Don't lecture me

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

And you have the audacity to call other people keyboard warriors 😂

You my friend are the Hulk Hogan of keyboard warriors !

Mate I'm no keyboard warrior as I don't start it. 

Trust me I'd say it to your faces all 3 of you at the same time. I'm not shy mate at all

you are all calling me out jumping on board and you genuinely don't know how vile a club that is