IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

City U21 beat Blackburn U21 yesterday 5-0. Probably the most exciting fact was that one of the goalscorers was Rachel Furness! Hopefully this means she'll be match fit for Arsenal next Sunday

(Kudos to a fan page on Instagram who were able to confirm the scorers because the club didn't)

27 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

City U21 beat Blackburn U21 yesterday 5-0. Probably the most exciting fact was that one of the goalscorers was Rachel Furness! Hopefully this means she'll be match fit for Arsenal next Sunday

(Kudos to a fan page on Instagram who were able to confirm the scorers because the club didn't)

I replied to City's tweet asking why there's not a lot of info re. the U21 women on the website etc as it sounds like they're pretty good. Heard nothing back of course. Glad Rachel got a sneaky U21 game!

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Final away game of the season at Chelsea selected for live broadcast on Sky, and pushed back to 6.45pm. it's Emma Hayes' last ever Chelsea home game so I expect that may be one reason why Sky have picked it...

GKZ0Ke9W4AEUYCV?format=jpg&name=medium

More likely they're showing the top two with the chance one of them wins the league that day 

Another TV fixture where I fear for our defence 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2024 at 18:14, phantom said:

More likely they're showing the top two with the chance one of them wins the league that day 

Another TV fixture where I fear for our defence 

Hopefully not as bad a result as 20/21 season!

19 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

According to this article from the England v Sweden programme, Brooke Aspin in what was a 7-3 win over Brighton earlier this month...

GKguI0zXMAAT8DN?format=jpg&name=medium

If only

If she has popped her shoulder it won't be useful for someone to wrap their arm around it!

I hope it's not the end of her season, though I did worry that was the case when she went off during the game.

• Sad 1

It would seem that the deal is a continuation of the present one, and so I imagine that the coverage will be predicated almost entirely to the WSL - the Beeb show about 30 seconds of the Championship leaders at best. I am keen to know how much input the new authorities (New Co) are having in this, seeing as it taking over from the FA. I am also aware that the title sponsors, Barclays, have a current deal for the top two divisions until 2024-25 and am wondering if there is a 'rolling contract' option.

• Like 1

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

It would seem that the deal is a continuation of the present one, and so I imagine that the coverage will be predicated almost entirely to the WSL - the Beeb show about 30 seconds of the Championship leaders at best. I am keen to know how much input the new authorities (New Co) are having in this, seeing as it taking over from the FA. I am also aware that the title sponsors, Barclays, have a current deal for the top two divisions until 2024-25 and am wondering if there is a 'rolling contract' option.

Sky are saying they are increasing to 44 live games next season

Some key points from today's press conference:
- Shania Hayles out of arm sling but not yet match ready
- Rachel Furness in squad contention after playing 45 mins with U21s last week
- Naomi Layzell & Carrie Jones back in training
- In-house 11v11 game took place, Lauren Smith was the ref

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Some key points from today's press conference:
- Shania Hayles out of arm sling but not yet match ready
- Rachel Furness in squad contention after playing 45 mins with U21s last week
- Naomi Layzell & Carrie Jones back in training
- In-house 11v11 game took place, Lauren Smith was the ref

Lauren also said that long term contracts have been signed (including herself) so even if we go down we could retain a lot of the squad - in theory I suppose.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eco said:

Lauren also said that long term contracts have been signed (including herself) so even if we go down we could retain a lot of the squad - in theory I suppose.

That is true! Although I think Shania Hayles contract is up this summer (she didn't sign a new one last summer), and Rachel Furness has a one year contract which ends this season

There are others who signed new one year deals last summer e.g. Jazz Bull, Jesse Woolley, but have an option for another year...

• Like 1

Saw some snippets from Arsenal's press conference this morning (which Sky covered, unsurprisingly)

Jonas Eidvall is serving a touchline ban this Sunday for leaving the technical area while celebrating during the Conti Cup final

Vivianne Miedema is unavailable for Sunday, so there'll be no repeat of her scoring six(?) against Bristol City at Meadow Park like she did a few years ago

Frida Maanum is also not available following her collapse at the Conti Cup Final & continued recovery 

Edited by shahanshahan

A pretty good watch/listen with Liv Clark in this episode of This Girl Can Play. She talks about how she combined uni & football, playing for Wales even though being from Lincoln, being at Bristol City, and even mentions Nigel Pearson & Dan Bentley...

Available on YouTube below or audio wherever you get podcasts from...

• Like 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Sky Sports remembered that they are showing a game with City Women this weekend, so have released this today...

To be fair to Sky 

They've been plugging the game a fair bit on SSN during the week 

Obviously more interest today with Hayes and Eidevell having their pre match interviews 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

That is true! Although I think Shania Hayles contract is up this summer (she didn't sign a new one last summer), and Rachel Furness has a one year contract which ends this season

There are others who signed new one year deals last summer e.g. Jazz Bull, Jesse Woolley, but have an option for another year...

Layzell, Thestrup, Connolly? Can't see them wanting to play at a lower level, hope they don't leave obviously. 

10 hours ago, Eco said:

Layzell, Thestrup, Connolly? Can't see them wanting to play at a lower level, hope they don't leave obviously. 

Layzell signed a two year deal last summer.  As did Thestrup. Can't find anything on how long Connolly's contract is for...

Also available in audio. Recorded this podcast last night with some Arsenal fans ahead of the game on Sunday. Mainly given things from a Bristol City perspective, plus talk about the work I do at the SC&T - including arranging away coach travel with the football club