IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

3 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

That stat doesnt equate to much revenue though with very cheap tickets and freebies boosting attendances.

With Lansdown going through an austerity period this will be as good as it gets im afraid.

look how packed out the ground was today, for a very important match.

Would have been better at the HPC 

Another WSL game at the Gate, another disappointment.

I will accept that there is a good side sat on the treatment tables and today's side is far from first pick all round. However, there also has to be a response that can afford a decent chance of playing against lower-half teams. For too long this afternoon we were uncertain, reserved, stand-offish. Yes, it's inevitable that a makeshift side will struggle but I feel there should have been a little more passion. Starting in a 5-4-1 out is the default formation and designed to prevent being overrun, but it also has the effect of giving players the 'defend first' mindset. It's what we've done all season.

The first 10-15 minutes was encouraging but faded into a fall-back around our own half thereafter. It helps to score the first goal but we didn't defend well enough; both goals both preventable (although well taken in truth). Trying to get forward and opening up the flanks proved difficult; Ella Powell did get a couple of runs going but the invariable outcome was a cross into the box for our only forward to get on the end of it. Too often we offered little threat up front. Ffion Morgan was the other fullback, interestingly, and also tried to get going but, once again, was often found out of position when we lost the ball.

The midfield was finding Vicki Losada a real handful and the Brighton players looked a step quicker in thinking and moving. As the second half started it looked like there had been a stiff halftime talk. The girls were brighter, quicker and had a much more aggressive attitude. Some progress and goals did come from that but it was a Sisyphean task when the defence could not keep it out of the net. Getting back to 3-4 only brought more weak defending and concessions. Lauren Smith might have been a bit more courageous with the substitutions but they didn't really get much joy. The last quarter of an hour had a sense of a desperate all-out gamble that fell short by some margin.

It's not been great watching us this season. There is a clear separation at the foot of the table and it doesn't look like it will be closed yet. We have a decent squad but lack real talent in depth. The girls don't deserve this but the WSL is no place for charity. The champagne from last season's promotion party has dried up, and it's painful seeing hopes and dreams being dashed. The bottom line is we can't defend well enough and can't score enough - plain and simple.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, When the river runs said:

look how packed out the ground was today, for a very important match.

Would have been better at the HPC 

Can we get 3500 at the HPC?

8 minutes ago, mason said:

anyway hows the rugby team getting on? no relegations this year is that right?

Yep. But SL can still manage 2 out of 3 this season. Not exactly maximising his investment!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I will accept that there is a good side sat on the treatment tables and today's side is far from first pick all round. However, there also has to be a response that can afford a decent chance of playing against lower-half teams. For too long this afternoon we were uncertain, reserved, stand-offish. Yes, it's inevitable that a makeshift side will struggle but I feel there should have been a little more passion. Starting in a 5-4-1 out is the default formation and designed to prevent being overrun, but it also has the effect of giving players the 'defend first' mindset. It's what we've done all season.

The first 10-15 minutes was encouraging but faded into a fall-back around our own half thereafter. It helps to score the first goal but we didn't defend well enough; both goals both preventable (although well taken in truth). Trying to get forward and opening up the flanks proved difficult; Ella Powell did get a couple of runs going but the invariable outcome was a cross into the box for our only forward to get on the end of it. Too often we offered little threat up front. Ffion Morgan was the other fullback, interestingly, and also tried to get going but, once again, was often found out of position when we lost the ball.

The midfield was finding Vicki Losada a real handful and the Brighton players looked a step quicker in thinking and moving. As the second half started it looked like there had been a stiff halftime talk. The girls were brighter, quicker and had a much more aggressive attitude. Some progress and goals did come from that but it was a Sisyphean task when the defence could not keep it out of the net. Getting back to 3-4 only brought more weak defending and concessions. Lauren Smith might have been a bit more courageous with the substitutions but they didn't really get much joy. The last quarter of an hour had a sense of a desperate all-out gamble that fell short by some margin.

It's not been great watching us this season. There is a clear separation at the foot of the table and it doesn't look like it will be closed yet. We have a decent squad but lack real talent in depth. The girls don't deserve this but the WSL is no place for charity. The champagne from last season's promotion party has dried up, and it's painful seeing hopes and dreams being dashed. The bottom line is we can't defend well enough and can't score enough - plain and simple.

Conceding seven to a side that was averaging less than one a game is embarrassing. All season the players have played to their limits, and I admire them hugely for that, but they always seem to be stretching and in the past couple of games I think the effort has caught up with them. Agree about the players missing, today Layzell being out was a big blow as Ella for all her effort doesn't possess a left foot and some of her riight footed crossing was wayward. Lisa Evans had a great chance first half but badly fluffed it.

We really had the momentum at 3-4 and the crowd were as animated as I've heard at AG for the women but sadly it petered out.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, When the river runs said:

I stand corrected then. It didn't look like that many on the TV. I suppose they're all behind the camera in the Lansdown

I just thought there wasn't any atmosphere and a packed out Hpc may have helped the players more. 

Yes, only the Lansdown Lower is open for the games against the lower & mid table sides. For the other matches, Dolman is open + on a couple of occasions, the South Stand was too. 

• Like 2

• Admin

Lauren Smith has called on her Bristol City side to "prove everybody wrong" after an "embarrassing" 7-3 home defeat by Brighton.

The Robins are bottom of the Women's Super League, six points from safety, after an 11th loss in 15 games.

Victory would have moved City to within two points of Brighton but a porous defensive display pushes them ever closer to relegation.

"I don't know how to put it other than anger," Smith said.

Having gone 4-1 down in the second half at Ashton Gate, the home side did manage to pull it back to 4-3 before collapsing, conceding three goals from the 89th minute onwards.

"The game had everything in it," Smith added. "I'm really proud of how we got back into it but ultimately you have to look at the score and it's embarrassing.

"Not even the amount of goals, it's the way we are conceding them. The throw-ins and corners that we were good at, it's like we get better at one thing and forget how to do something else. What do you do then?"

With seven matches remaining, the Robins still have to contend with away games at Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea as well as hosting Manchester City.

"Everybody knew this was a big game and a big moment," Smith added. "We were already up against it and now we are really, really up against it.

"We've been looking at it since the start that we were already the relegated team in many people's minds. We put up a fight to show we could do something about it and now I'd say we are the relegated team again.

"There's only one way out of it to prove everybody wrong. It is a big challenge and a mountain, not one that is numerically impossible, but if we don't put 90 minutes in the tank defending then it is numerically impossible."

Next up for Bristol City is the first of those three trips to top-four clubs, away at Manchester United, as Smith tries to maintain some belief among her squad that they can defy the odds and avoid an immediate return to the Championship.

"[It's] definitely the biggest challenge [as a manager], probably the hardest emotional one as well," she said.

"It's a mixture of disappointment, anger, everything is flowing around now. That's the hardest bit and knowing everyone is doing everything they possible can. It's probably the most mis-matched feeling I've ever had."

TAKEN FROM:  Bristol City 3-7 Brighton: Lauren Smith bemoans 'embarrassing' defeat to relegation rivals - BBC Sport

17 hours ago, Erithacus said:

An excellent post. There are a lot of gaps at times in the formation, leading to misplaced passes or players isolated. It's frustrating seeing the same clubs in the men's and women's games leading the leagues but it's all about investment. When I coached BCWFC in the 90's the big clubs were nowhere and not interested. I received nothing for the time and effort I put in, apart from the gratitude of the players and their families. The mens club provided a minibus and old kit, but that was it. However, it was fun and we kept the club alive. City had a chance to make the women's team one of the best in the country with the right investment, but like all things it's back to square one. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I think the situation on the pitch has made the club less reluctant to abandon the fan forum Monday, but given the bed sheet protest about the arms fair at the game yesterday, I’m wondering if the unforeseen circumstances is not wanting the public in the building because of security around the arms fair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Just wanted to say that I have never seen this photo before, and thanks for sharing.
I understand this is the variation of City Women that eventually dissolved in the 2000s?

This must be '95'ish? Carly Bryant, Heidi Bevan and Michelle Munro ( Ithink) were still playing when I first saw them v Doncaster Belles @ Almondsbury in '97.

• Robin 2

12 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Just wanted to say that I have never seen this photo before, and thanks for sharing.
I understand this is the variation of City Women that eventually dissolved in the 2000s?

The history of BCWFC is quite complicated. It really needs a diffinitive history writing. I can't remember the exact date of this but it was around 1999,2000 and taken at Clevedon's Hand Stadium. 

• Robin 1

11 hours ago, Eco said:

This must be '95'ish? Carly Bryant, Heidi Bevan and Michelle Munro ( Ithink) were still playing when I first saw them v Doncaster Belles @ Almondsbury in '97.

Those 3 were cracking players, all loved a tackle and could have played at a higher level. I worked with them occasionally at U16 level in 1997, 98 then the senior squad. There was a lot of talent but not the opportunity girls have today.

Edited by Pippintogg
Date edit
  • Like 4

• Admin

On the subject of the WSL this news story seems to have gone under the radar, one instance I imagine the women's game doesn't get the same publicity as the men's team

Maybe a lack of understanding here, but a potential four day court case sounds very serious and surely more than just using verbal abuse?

Chelsea striker and Matildas captain Sam Kerr is set to face trial after being charged with racially aggravated harassment of a London police officer.

The 30-year-old Australia international pleaded not guilty to the offence at a court hearing on Monday, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Kerr is scheduled to appear at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on 1 February 2025.

It follows an alleged incident in January 2023.

"The charge relates to an incident involving a police officer who was responding to a complaint involving a taxi fare on 30 January 2023 in Twickenham," a Metropolitan Police spokesperson said.

She was charged on 21 January "with a racially aggravated offence under Section 4A [of the] Public Order Act 1986", they added.

However Kerr denied the charge at a plea and trial preparation hearing at Kingston upon Thames Crown Court on Monday.

The striker is currently sidelined after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury at the club's warm weather training camp in Morocco in January.

She has scored 99 goals in 128 matches since joining Chelsea in 2019, and is her country's all-time record goalscorer with 64 goals in 125 games.

Speaking to media in Adelaide on Tuesday, Football Australia chief executive James Johnson said the federation had learned of the "very serious allegations" in the news that morning.

"There is no place for racism in our sport," he said.

"At the same time Sam has rights, natural justice rights, procedural rights that she has to work through and we will respect that."

Asked if Kerr - arguably Australia's biggest sports star - should be stood down as the national team's captain until the court case has played out, Mr Johnson said the governing body needed to "establish the facts" before deciding its "next step".

"We are trying to get to the bottom of it at the moment... we've got to find out what actually happened."

"I haven't spoken to Sam other than a text message to check in on her wellbeing."

Matildas coach Tony Gustavsson told reporters in Sydney that he was "surprised" by the allegations but couldn't say anything further.

TAKEN FROM:  Sam Kerr: Chelsea striker pleads not guilty to racially aggravated offence - BBC Sport

2 hours ago, Pippintogg said:

Those 3 were cracking players, all loved a tackle and could have played at a higher level. I worked with them occasionally at U16 level in 1997, 98 then the senior squad. There was a lot of talent but not the opportunity girls have today.

Looks like I got my dates slightly wrong! It was a long time ago to be fair and I appear to have lost the programme. 

• Robin 1

As a simple question: is there any official documentary/historical recording of the original City Girls? I know that was a long time ago (it doesn't seem so to old duffers like me!) and that the organisation then was a whole world away from the WSL, but does the club have a space in its heritage? If not, perhaps there should be.

I remember watching local women's football since the days of (City fan) Marcia Dean and wonder 'where are they now?' Are any of the girls still involved with football?

• Robin 1

20 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

As a simple question: is there any official documentary/historical recording of the original City Girls? I know that was a long time ago (it doesn't seem so to old duffers like me!) and that the organisation then was a whole world away from the WSL, but does the club have a space in its heritage? If not, perhaps there should be.

I remember watching local women's football since the days of (City fan) Marcia Dean and wonder 'where are they now?' Are any of the girls still involved with football?

I am not fully sure but based on previous correspondence @Chessels Chick had worked at the previous version of the club

2 hours ago, phantom said:

On the subject of the WSL this news story seems to have gone under the radar, one instance I imagine the women's game doesn't get the same publicity as the men's team

Maybe a lack of understanding here, but a potential four day court case sounds very serious and surely more than just using verbal abuse?

Saw this last night. Reaction on Twitter was wild

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I have thought about this many times. Many still go to AG and I see them around. It would be great to get the ball rolling on a proper history of the club  and perhaps get it in print. I'll get my thinking cap on and reach out to some of the ex players. 🤔 

• Like 1

As mentioned by @shahanshahan I was involved with the original Bristol City WFC ...as founder member player and club secretary! We started off in 1987 as Bedminster, became Bristol Women and then Bristol United before becoming Bristol City WFC at the start of the 1992/93 season (thanks to involvement of Shaun Parker Community Officer at the time)

Marcia did play for us from 1994/95 season including in the semi-final of the FA Women's Challenge Cup against Liverpool played at Mangotsfield United FC 🤩 but she is a gashead!! And often wore rovers shirt under her City one 😜

Most of us were City fans though and several have season tickets still- some of us are still playing football together for Bristol Badgers Women's Walking Football Club (as are now 30+ years older!!)

20240305_204034.jpg

20240305_210234.jpg

Edited by Chessels Chick
  • Like 8
  • Robin 2

• Admin
5 hours ago, Pippintogg said:

I have thought about this many times. Many still go to AG and I see them around. It would be great to get the ball rolling on a proper history of the club  and perhaps get it in print. I'll get my thinking cap on and reach out to some of the ex players. 🤔 

For fear of you treading on people's toes and also to prevent you duplicating work already done I'd advise speaking to both Neil Palmer and Scott Davidson first. 

It's possible both the former players association and the Bristol City Heritage have the ball rolling on this already. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

For fear of you treading on people's toes and also to prevent you duplicating work already done I'd advise speaking to both Neil Palmer and Scott Davidson first. 

It's possible both the former players association and the Bristol City Heritage have the ball rolling on this already. 

Thanks, but knowing City I won't hold my breath until the contact me about my work with BCWFC. 😀

I didn't know that about the foundations of the team, @Chessels Chick. That's the sort of stuff that ought to be included. I know Marcia played a number of games for the equivalent Rovers side around that time, but was a passionate footballer when the women's game was a mere footnote . I also think I was there for that cup match against Liverpool, but my recollection is getting a little hazy these days - after all, it was pre-Internet!

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Chelsea striker and Matildas captain Sam Kerr is set to face trial after being charged with racially aggravated harassment of a London police officer.

The 30-year-old Australia international pleaded not guilty to the offence at a court hearing on Monday, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Kerr is scheduled to appear at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on 1 February 2025.

It follows an alleged incident in January 2023.

"The charge relates to an incident involving a police officer who was responding to a complaint involving a taxi fare on 30 January 2023 in Twickenham," a Metropolitan Police spokesperson said.

She was charged on 21 January "with a racially aggravated offence under Section 4A [of the] Public Order Act 1986", they added.

However Kerr denied the charge at a plea and trial preparation hearing at Kingston upon Thames Crown Court on Monday.

The striker is currently sidelined after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury at the club's warm weather training camp in Morocco in January.

She has scored 99 goals in 128 matches since joining Chelsea in 2019, and is her country's all-time record goalscorer with 64 goals in 125 games.

Speaking to media in Adelaide on Tuesday, Football Australia chief executive James Johnson said the federation had learned of the "very serious allegations" in the news that morning.

"There is no place for racism in our sport," he said.

"At the same time Sam has rights, natural justice rights, procedural rights that she has to work through and we will respect that."

Asked if Kerr - arguably Australia's biggest sports star - should be stood down as the national team's captain until the court case has played out, Mr Johnson said the governing body needed to "establish the facts" before deciding its "next step".

"We are trying to get to the bottom of it at the moment... we've got to find out what actually happened."

"I haven't spoken to Sam other than a text message to check in on her wellbeing."

Matildas coach Tony Gustavsson told reporters in Sydney that he was "surprised" by the allegations but couldn't say anything further.

TAKEN FROM:  Sam Kerr: Chelsea striker pleads not guilty to racially aggravated offence - BBC Sport

Crazy - Sam Kerr is of Indian descent (both parents born in India) - maybe this was cultural / religious or an  Indian / Pakistani clash perhaps.

6 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Crazy - Sam Kerr is of Indian descent (both parents born in India) - maybe this was cultural / religious or an  Indian / Pakistani clash perhaps.

You saying you have to be white to be racist?

• Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I didn't know that about the foundations of the team, @Chessels Chick. That's the sort of stuff that ought to be included. I know Marcia played a number of games for the equivalent Rovers side around that time, but was a passionate footballer when the women's game was a mere footnote . I also think I was there for that cup match against Liverpool, but my recollection is getting a little hazy these days - after all, it was pre-Internet!

My profile pic is of a very proud moment - a photo shoot at Ashton Gate when we became Bristol City WFC and first wore the kit 😍

I was out of the game for a couple of years following bad ankle break in 1996 - when I returned most of the better senior players had left to join Southampton and the first team was mainly made up of previous youth team members (such as Carly Bryant, Heidi Bevan and Mich Munro mentioned before)

I played for the reserves for a few years (including scoring goal in Cup final at Yate Town a rare occurence as played right back 😜) before hanging my boots up. Other founder members also left to set up a new team (again called Bristol United) after several disagreements with the then management 

We always felt this led to a rewrite of the history of the club which might be why we've been forgotten 😳 A shame as we were real pioneers of the women's game - and also very successful for many years 🏆 🏆 🏆

Edited by Chessels Chick
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2