IGNORED

City v Stoke City - Match day 2

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

If 2 of our midfielders weren't playing well, then we wouldn't be controlling the game like we are. 

Yes, composure is key, but he's looking to get us forward quickly and I'd encourage that. Especially with Bakinson doing a great holding job. 

Yes he’s looking to get us forward but as usual he is average with the ball.  I just expect a bit more if we are looking to get promoted. He is running around a lot though which is good

Solid defending so far and wouldn’t have been too disappointed with 0-0 at HT but that goal just before half time tops off a disciplined first half

Would like us to be a bit less sloppy in the final third, some loose balls to no one in the middle of the half.

Mawson looks outstanding, I love how he steps in high up the pitch to make a tackle. 

we might see more space second half and Pato can get on the ball a bit more

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

My only criticism is he could get on the ball a little bit more, but I think stoke are doing a job on blocking him off.

Looks classy when he gets on the ball though and always looking forward. For all the talk of Walsh and Morrell, he’s been a surprise to most I think

Bakinson matched up against John Obi Mikel though.

10 years ago Mikel was winning the Prem, and Bakinson was in year 7.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Bakinson looks absolutely class. Some fantastic moments. Had a very quiet spell too but I don't mind that, there was little room for him and he didn't come into defence like I expect Pack would have. He stayed in midfield and came into the game more last 10 or so.

Think this is a really good point. Unlike Pack and Smith, Bakinson doesn’t constantly drop really deep to get the ball off the defence. This means he is receiving the ball further up the pitch and we are able to pass through midfield. 

I think I see Moore in the central of a 3 as his natural position. He gets longer to watch the game and to make decisions which mitigates his flaws. The two leaders Kalas and Mawson either side guiding him through the games. And he's able to step up and bring the ball out or assist in the midfield the best.

Itching to see Joe Williams, as he does what Weimann does but better IMO. Great from Martin. I still don't think Stoke is a great team. 

COYR!

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Yes he’s looking to get us forward but as usual he is average with the ball.  I just expect a bit more if we are looking to get promoted. He is running around a lot though which is good

Yes he can certainly do more, but always, he does so much work, it often overlooked and even when his final contribution isn't the best, I always think we miss his input when he's not in the team. 

21 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Strange usnt it

22 players in the pitch and you can put your house on certain (obsessed)  posters making a negative one  about AW

Yet James Collins watching for Sky raving about him 

And @JoeAman08 'Weimann just isn’t very good at football    - Surprised how he played Prem and International football then really ....eh

Over and over he gets into good positions and it breaks down at him consistently. What I like is he will try and make the correct pass or touch but more often than not he doesn’t have the quality to get it done. Headless chicken wouldn’t be fair but the game rarely looks slow for him. For one of our highest earners and most experienced players at good levels I wonder why he looks least composed out of everyone else.

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Radio Stoke are really impressed with us. They describe us playing the fast free flowing attacking football that Sky Sport would have you believe we’d been playing for the past two years. 

TBF, I have seen football this good since 2017. 

We are moving the ball quickly, little one touch passes popping the ball about in a way similar to how we did with Reid, Brownhill and Pato. 

I am liking the way Wiemann is picking the ball up and driving at Stoke, something we have lacked for some time now. 

Still think long term we are asking for trouble with Pato and Wiemann in midfield, but can't really complain so far. 

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Bakinson just looks like he won't faulter. Much more composed and calm that Massengo.  

Bakinson doesn’t chase the ball in his defensive midfield role. Massengo likes to press and chase lost causes. Why he looked so poor against Coventry imo. Would have liked to see him or Nagy in the Weimann role today. Use their energy and workrate a bit further up the pitch. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

My one real issue is with Bakinson though. 

Can was get the commentators to agree on the pronunciation, because at the moment the main person says it one way and the co-commentator say it another.

At half time Gilmartin even said it 2 different ways in one sentence. 

It’s Backinson not Bakeinson 

1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

We are moving the ball quickly, little one touch passes popping the ball about in a way similar to how we did with Reid, Brownhill and Pato. 

I am liking the way Wiemann is picking the ball up and driving at Stoke, something we have lacked for some time now. 

Still think long term we are asking for trouble with Pato and Wiemann in midfield, but can't really complain so far. 

I don't think that's the long term plan. Williams is PERFECT for that Weimann role.

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

@IAmNick can you clip that little passing interchange between bakinson and Martin just then? (approx 48 mins) Sums up what they bring brilliantly 

I only clip the highlights at the moment I'm afraid... I used to have a rolling 60s buffer I could pick from but haven't bothered this season. Could turn it back on though!

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Weimann plays at the top of midfield, whilst I see Williams being more the base of the middle. Walsh I feel would be better at the tip. 

Williams can play further forward as well, its why the idea of him Morrell and Walsh was an intriguing prospect as they could all interchange, Walsh also picked the ball up from deep as well if you look at his heatmaps.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Weimann plays at the top of midfield, whilst I see Williams being more the base of the middle. Walsh I feel would be better at the tip. 

That's a big shout. Someone who's, as yet, proven nothing at championship level, will be better than a proven player who regularly gets goals and assist at this level,  having also played in the Premier league. 

Archived