IGNORED

City v Stoke City - Match day 2

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Weimann starts nagy not even on bench very disappointing.

Would Nagy starting and Weimann not even on the bench have made you happy? From what I've seen of your posts recently, if you won a £1,000,000 you'd moan it wasn't £2,000,000.

What's wrong with the team? looks a sensible line-up against a physical Stoke City side.

I feel like this is a big test for the system assuming how it's looked so far. I don't think Stoke look very good but traditionally these have been very hard games.

I personally hope Weimann is played closer to Bakinson and is more disciplined this week.

Agree with Martin in for Diedhiou from what we've seen. Assume/hope it's Moore in the centre of the three as it was midweek.

We're very close to serious, serious, centre back problems with three natural ones, and the cover player having to play left wing back.

3 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Nagy has to be injured.

Really hope he hasn't been left out.

As @mozosays, Bakinson and Martin starting is positive but worried Weimann seems to be continuing in midfield. I just don't see him as a midfielder. His workmate is great but I don't think his positional discipline, defensive ability or ability to retain possession is good enough in the long run and I don't want us to lose or demotivate good midfielders whilst persevering with a striker out of position. 

Excited to see Martin start with Wells. I think those two have the potential to strike up a real partnership. Great to also have an on form Semenyo to come on and stretch things late on.

Very surprised not to see Nagy involved unless injured. Massengo also nowhere to be seen. 

Hopefully Bakinson can provide the defensive minded cover we’ll need with Paterson and Weimann in the middle. He’ll be up against Obi Mikel and all his experience. Cant help but feel we’ll be overrun in midfield again though with that lineup.

2-1 Stoke ?

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

I feel like this is a big test for the system assuming how it's looked so far. I don't think Stoke look very good but traditionally these have been very hard games.

I personally hope Weimann is played closer to Bakinson and is more disciplined this week.

Agree with Martin in for Diedhiou from what we've seen. Assume/hope it's Moore in the centre of the three as it was midweek.

We're very close to serious, serious, centre back problems with three natural ones, and the cover player having to play left wing back.

Indeed. I think that is the biggest risk of not starting Eliasson. What happens if Rowe and another centre-back both pick up knocks?

8 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Nagy doesn’t even make bench and Weimann continues in midfield ? what does Weimann have over Holden?

Perhaps AW has awkward picture of LJ & Holden, because on footballing terms it make no sense at all how he keeps getting picked. Really p'off by this, love to eat humble pie but lousy decision to me. 

Happy to see Martin in for Diedhiou.  Ball will stick better for one.

That midfield concerns me! Bakinson deserves his chance, Paterson while not 100% a true CM, fair enough. Good end product.

Weimann however?? That combination leaves a big risk of Bakinson being exposed, bypassed or both.

Chosen the safe options at wing back. Not too bothered either way at that.

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Picking Weimann in midfield is a stupid, stupid idea.  Having no threat from wide is likely to put us on the back foot too much and punting.  Not optimistic about this and really don't understand the reasoning, but I'll be delighted if I'm wrong.

So stupid, it’s resulted in 4 wins, 2 draws and only 1 defeat under Holden (8 games, but didn’t play on Wed).  Too much focus on what he doesn’t do defensively, rather than what he gives us elsewhere.  FWIW I’m surprised he keeps getting the gig in midfield, but until I see a series of below par displays in there then I’m open to it.  I did think he was below par last week, but that’s one game.  

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

That for me is the learning from Coventry....they have to play more as a three, not a one-two....especially away.  But on the flip, someone will need to get onto Mikel Obi to stop him having an easy afternoon.

I guess if Kalas is anything other that short-term, we might dip into the transfer market.

5 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Excited to see Martin start with Wells. I think those two have the potential to strike up a real partnership. Great to also have an on form Semenyo to come on and stretch things late on.

Very surprised not to see Nagy involved unless injured. Massengo also nowhere to be seen. 

Hopefully Bakinson can provide the defensive minded cover we’ll need with Paterson and Weimann in the middle. He’ll be up against Obi Mikel and all his experience. Cant help but feel we’ll be overrun in midfield again though with that lineup.

2-1 Stoke ?

Don’t you think Stoke fans might think the sane with Mikel Obi being the only defensively minded CM alongside Clucas and Powell (who is not much of a grafter at all)?

Just now, Davefevs said:

So stupid, it’s resulted in 4 wins, 2 draws and only 1 defeat under Holden (8 games, but didn’t play on Wed).  Too much focus on what he doesn’t do defensively, rather than what he gives us elsewhere.  FWIW I’m surprised he keeps getting the gig in midfield, but until I see a series of below par displays in there then I’m open to it.  I did think he was below par last week, but that’s one game. 

I think you're confusing results and performances to be honest.  We have 8 or 9 central midfielders, we don't need to convert a striker to one just because he runs about a bit.  It's nonsense.

Just now, Nibor said:

I think you're confusing results and performances to be honest.  We have 8 or 9 central midfielders, we don't need to convert a striker to one just because he runs about a bit.  It's nonsense.

No, I’m not....I’m just using it as an example.  I think Weimann has been perfectly fine in there....it’s just feels a slightly strange selection with other options, but he’s doing a fine job in there.  He finds pockets to get the ball and drag opponents out of position.  He works hard when we have and don’t have the ball.

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Perhaps AW has awkward picture of LJ & Holden, because on footballing terms it make no sense at all how he keeps getting picked. Really p'off by this, love to eat humble pie but lousy decision to me. 

Early start for you... But in football terms, which is the only appropiate subject matter, AW is a coaches type player, and just perhaps the work rate and contribution he makes is overlooked  by us couch coaches.

With Morrell, Williams and Walsh injured. I don’t really see an issue with Weimann in midfield? You can’t play Palmer and Paterson together unless you’re chasing a game.

Bakinson in for Massengo which is a easy one. As is Martin in for Fam. 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

With Morrell, Williams and Walsh injured. I don’t really see an issue with Weimann in midfield? You can’t play Palmer and Paterson together unless you’re chasing a game.

Bakinson in for Massengo which is a easy one. As is Martin in for Fam. 

My issue is Weimann over Nagy - unless Nagy is injured or on the way out of course.

Archived