IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival

RedM

I'm glad others have heard what I do with the Arctic Monkeys... It's Vic Reeves as the pub singer...always has been. Totally overacted band imo.

And if you think that's bad, you'll have your mind blown by Elton John...totally past it now. 

This is him now...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm glad others have heard what I do with the Arctic Monkeys... It's Vic Reeves as the pub singer...always has been. Totally overacted band imo.

And if you think that's bad, you'll have your mind blown by Elton John...totally past it now. 

This is him now...

Completely agree about Elton John: been past it for ages. But I still think it will be good. They are good songs, and guests, the band and the crowd will all carry it, regardless of his voice.

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Completely agree about Elton John: been past it for ages. But I still think it will be good. They are good songs, and guests, the band and the crowd will all carry it, regardless of his voice.

Yes fantastic back catalogue I agree. The crowd will carry it. Have they confirmed his guests? 

I heard a few rumours it could be Kate Bush!

• Like 1

Can't believe the slating Arctic Monkeys are geting from some. I wasn't too familiar with their stuff before last night, but I thought they were superb.

Thinking man's music after the same old noise assault stuff from The FF.

BTW, only heard one song from someone who's name I have forgotten. An all girl band with a dreamy sound.

Can somebody help? I enjoyed what I heard of them.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Almost felt like Alex didn’t engage with the crowd and just walked off.  Honestly one of weirdest headline sets I’ve seen 

Don't think he said much at AG either, but yes he sounded rough and pissed off

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Almost felt like Alex didn’t engage with the crowd and just walked off.  Honestly one of weirdest headline sets I’ve seen 

They’ve never been the type to interact with crowds, it’s not something they do having seen them live multiple times 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Can't believe the slating Arctic Monkeys are geting from some. I wasn't too familiar with their stuff before last night, but I thought they were superb.

BTW, only heard one song from someone who's name I have forgotten. An all girl band with a dreamy sound.

Spice girls?

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Los Bitchos?

Pretenders are on tonight at 7.45pm, Park stage. BBC iplayer has it.

I had the privilege of seeing them last month in Belfast in a small venue. Until that gig, I had always underestimated Chrissie's rhythm guitar playing. One of the best gigs I've ever been to. 

If you want to see and hear what a modern day electric lead guitarist should sound like, then listen to James Walbourne. I was so impressed by him. He's been with them for a few years now, but boy can he play!

• Like 1

I've only seen Arctic Monkeys once live. In 2006 when I was 18, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not had come out, but Favourite Worst Nightmare hadn't. At that age, in that small hall in Exeter, and having listened to that first album so much, that show meant something. Turner was young, raw, still Sheffield, and lager, and lads lads lads to the core. They were bloody brilliant and that night in the summer of '06 is one of the best nights of my life.

We've all got albums that we listened to as teenagers/young adults, and they sit with you. Songs like Riot Van, Red Lights Indicate Doors Are Secured, and Still Take You Home mean something to me. That album together with Hot Fuzz, those are the two albums of my youth.

For me Arctic Monkeys are bloody brilliant because they were releasing stuff like that at the right moment in my life.

I fell away from them later on. Don't particularly love their recent stuff, and it's a shame they're no longer delivering for everyone. But there may be an 18 year old out there who stood in that field and felt something. And if they did, then it's a good set.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomF said:

Even so it was very flat.  

Rick Astley living his best life on pyramid right now ?

I was so happy for him, such a kick in the teeth for all his haters years ago. Fantastic for him to play the drums on the pyramid 

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, TomF said:

Genuinely one of the most wholesome sets I’ve ever seen. Just fun. 

I went to see Doreen Doreen last night, Astralobe 1.20am. After the Artic Monkeys I felt a bit meh, but they were brilliant. I've never seen them before but lots of people rave about them, they are always on at The Fleece.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I was so happy for him, such a kick in the teeth for all his haters years ago. Fantastic for him to play the drums on the pyramid 

Whenever he's interviewed, he comes across as a top bloke who doesn’t take himself too seriously and clearly still loves what he does.

I saw him when he was the warmup act for Peter Kay during his tour 15 years or so ago. There was a danger that he could have been seen as a joke figure but he went down a storm, it helped that a significant proportion of the crowd were women who would have been fans during his heyday

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

With respect...like Art...it's individual. But they are pretentious crap...trying to be what you say. It has no substance. Many before them adhere to what you crave...they are just cheap wannabes. They are in the same bracket as the Kaiser Chiefs...been around for ages, and no one knows any difference. Shocking. 

If you want thinking man's music check out later Talk Talk and Mark Hollis. You won't regret it.

Arctic monkeys are riding a wave of mediocrity in the industry. 

• Haha 1

Poor Lewis Capaldi is seriously struggling mentally. He just says he had been struggling and now will probably take the rest of the year off.

He now can't sing his last song and the crowd are doing it for him. I hope he gets some care

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

With respect...like Art...it's individual. But they are pretentious crap...trying to be what you say. It has no substance. Many before them adhere to what you crave...they are just cheap wannabes. They are in the same bracket as the Kaiser Chiefs...been around for ages, and no one knows any difference. Shocking. 

If you want thinking man's music check out later Talk Talk and Mark Hollis. You won't regret it.

Arctic monkeys are riding a wave of mediocrity in the industry. 

I know all about Mark Hollis, thanks. Been a fan for years and I agree with you. 

Doesn't mean to say that everything you don't like is shit. It's about personal taste. Why would you let any band get to you ? One man's meat and all that.

Edited by AppyDAZE

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I know all about Mark Hollis, thanks. Been a fan for years and I agree with you. 

Doesn't mean to say that everything you don't like is shit. It's about personal taste. Why would you let any band get to you ? One man's meat and all that.

Like I said...like Art...it's individual. 

But put Mark Hollis and AMs in same sentence is sacralidge. 

I think over time you'll see it. 

AM don't come under ' thinking man's music ' however way you look at it. 

They just stand out right now as there is **** all mainstream that's ' different '.

7 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm not sure you could class the first album as thinking man's music :laugh:.

Elton isn't great in the clip Spudski posted, but he was brilliant at AG last year and his voice sounded great.

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not sure you could class the first album as thinking man's music :laugh:.

Elton isn't great in the clip Spudski posted, but he was brilliant at AG last year and his voice sounded great.

Technology is a fantastic thing at live concerts when vocalists have lost their voice. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

Poor Lewis Capaldi is seriously struggling mentally. He just says he had been struggling and now will probably take the rest of the year off.

He now can't sing his last song and the crowd are doing it for him. I hope he gets some care

He’s got Tourette’s hasn’t he? Has he also got mental issues as well.