IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

Just been to the sonny stores pop up in Quaker's friar, they’ve taken over the old Klausterhaus site whilst their usual place on Raleigh Road is being refurbed. 

3 courses for £25, every weekday lunch. New menu every day.  

Was amazing value (those with a * are eligible for the deal), essentially getting a 3 course meal that’s typically cost £40-£50 for £25. Highly recommend, and is an amazing work day pick me up!

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Just been to the sonny stores pop up in Quaker's friar, they’ve taken over the old Klausterhaus site whilst their usual place on Raleigh Road is being refurbed. 

Was amazing value (those with a * are eligible for the deal), essentially getting a 3 course meal that’s typically cost £40-£50 for £25. Highly recommend, and is an amazing work day pick me up!

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

It’s about time I had a day in the central work offices ha

On 26/04/2024 at 15:28, petehinton said:

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

Went to Sonny Stores  last night, was really looking forward to it but unfortunately it was a total disaster, took 20 minutes to take drink order so decided to order food at same time, had to chase the one starter and bread that we’d ordered, it finally turned up after we had been in there for 1 hour, by this time several tables had been vacated by disgruntled diners.

We felt very sorry for the wait staff as the problem seemed to be in the kitchen, we asked if the main courses were going to be the same sort of wait time and should we “cut our losses” and just leave, we were advised that it might be best to leave.

The place was packed and when we left there was a big queue of people waiting for tables that were not free because of the backlog.

Can only assume the increase in capacity was a bit much for them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

Went to Sonny Stores  last night, was really looking forward to it but unfortunately it was a total disaster, took 20 minutes to take drink order so decided to order food at same time, had to chase the one starter and bread that we’d ordered, it finally turned up after we had been in there for 1 hour, by this time several tables had been vacated by disgruntled diners.

We felt very sorry for the wait staff as the problem seemed to be in the kitchen, we asked if the main courses were going to be the same sort of wait time and should we “cut our losses” and just leave, we were advised that it might be best to leave.

The place was packed and when we left there was a big queue of people waiting for tables that were not free because of the backlog.

Can only assume the increase in capacity was a bit much for them.

Is this the Quakers Friar venue?

Went to the Ivy in Cardiff last night. Went a couple of yrs ago before watching The Cure & it was v good. Last night, food was good, service sub Fawlty Towers. Starters took well over an hour - they gave us a free bottle of wine as compensation. Then brought wrong mains / sides - I felt sorry for the waiter in the end but fair play to them, they gave us the lot (2 people, starters & mains + wine) for nothing, so at least they put it right.

Edited by TDarwall
  • Like 1

Four of us went to the Nutmeg in Clifton Village recently after it was recommended by my son who’d eaten there with his partner. He reckoned it was better than the Rasassary in Hotwells - he was right.

The food was fantastic and the waiter, an English guy was extremely helpful particularly when it came to desserts.

Anyone that eats at India restaurants regularly will know that most don’t have much of a selection when it comes to desserts - the Nutmeg is  very different.

As for the main courses all four were superb. One buddy had lamb shank prepared Indian style and he reckoned it was the best he’d ever had. I don’t recall ever seeing lamb shank on an Indian menu before.

The tab, including beers came to around £50 ahead - a bit expensive for sure but we’ll worth it.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2024 at 18:47, Pickle Rick said:

Although in Bath, I enjoyed a meal at a the Coconut Tree. There’s a couple in Bristol as well.

Sri Lankan tapas-esq, so you get to order multiple dishes. Maybe 3 or 4 per couple. I think we ordered 5 though 😅

The majority of the food is spicy, but wonderful. Every dish ordered was great.

https://www.thecoconut-tree.com/

And as for drinks, they’ve got a great cocktail menu. I went for a Yaka!

Coconut Tree is excellent, very good value for money and the food is delicious!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Anyone been to the Chef's Table next to the Scotia recently? Just booked up for anniversary treat and wondered if the hype is deserved? 

Will be going for the Menu Exepcional but the wine flight looks a bit pricey. 

On 20/04/2024 at 08:50, petehinton said:

Rassasy last night was good, can see why people rave about it.  

4,500 miles from Delhi still the best curry house in Bristol though as it stands, imo

I went there during lockdown when it was 2-4-1 or whatever the dopey scheme was that the chancellor introduced (Sunak) thought it was poor, not a patch on the two round the corner Dhamaka & Urban Tandoori 

Anyone been to La Panza, opposite Redcliffe Church in a building that resembles a house rather than a restaurant.

The place is a little different, the furniture is not the best, there are no slick uniforms on the staff but the food is fantastic.

I love Italian food and am always moaning about how bad the Italian restaurants are in Bristol, for me, the food at La Panza is the most authentic Italian food in Bristol right now.

Edited by candygram for mongo

10 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I went there during lockdown when it was 2-4-1 or whatever the dopey scheme was that the chancellor introduced (Sunak) thought it was poor, not a patch on the two round the corner Dhamaka & Urban Tandoori 

Interesting, I’d definitely recommend going back now though as that was a fair while ago. 

15 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Anyone been to La Panza, opposite Redcliffe Church in a building that resembles a house rather than a restaurant.

The place is a little different, the furniture is not the best, there are no slick uniforms on the staff but the food is fantastic.

I love Italian food and am always moaning about how bad the Italian restaurants are in Bristol, for me, the food at La Panza is the most authentic Italian food in Bristol right now.

Yes I've been - totally agree. Great food, the pasta was exceptional. That reminds me, I must go back!

Not Bristol but with the summer on the way I’m sure many will be heading off to Cornwall over the next few months. Adam Handling is opening a new pub called the Tartan Fox near Newquay. I’m down there the week it opens so will 100% be heading there. Ate at his pub the Loch and Tyne in old Windsor and it was one of the best meals I’ve eaten anywhere so really excited about this new location in an area we tend to head to nearly every year. 

• Like 1

On 14/05/2024 at 13:09, jambodinho said:

Not Bristol but with the summer on the way I’m sure many will be heading off to Cornwall over the next few months. Adam Handling is opening a new pub called the Tartan Fox near Newquay. I’m down there the week it opens so will 100% be heading there. Ate at his pub the Loch and Tyne in old Windsor and it was one of the best meals I’ve eaten anywhere so really excited about this new location in an area we tend to head to nearly every year. 

If you’re going to Newquay and are looking for other options, you must make sure you make a reservation at Kahuna.

Haven’t been now for a couple years, but it’s easily up there with my favourite restaurants.

The wait for food is longer than your norm, but that’s because they cook fresh.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TfPUhTLVwRfBTeCo7?g_st=ic

• Like 1