IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

Just now, Slippin cider said:

Ah ok, not actually been myself but Mrs Cider went with some friends and raved on about it , I’ll have to try it. 

There were unusual items on the menu that I’d never seen on any Indian menu previously - tandoori crab was one, rabbit with qual egg was another, creamy lobster another one - as I said pretentious.

Alarmingly no mushroom bhaji…………:facepalm:

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Chatting with my lad midweek he and his partner when to the Nutmeg an Indian restaurant in Clifton Village. He said it was excellent with a great variety of set menu’s to select from.

We’re thinking of going there ourselves - has anyone else been there?

Yeah, Nutmeg is lush. Would be in my top 3 Indians in Bristol for sure. 

Was a favourite of LJ’s in his time as manager too!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Chatting with my lad midweek he and his partner when to the Nutmeg an Indian restaurant in Clifton Village. He said it was excellent with a great variety of set menu’s to select from.

Very similar in terms of quality to Rassasy in Hotwells which I recall you enjoyed.  

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very similar in terms of quality to Rassasy in Hotwells which I recall you enjoyed.  

Oddly enough my lad made the same comparison Kid. If it turns out to be as good I’ll be delighted 

Had dine in at nutmeg once years back and really enjoyed. Had a few takeaways since as it’s often on Uber eats and they send through discounts. Understandably didn’t stand out quite as much as a takeaway as the presentation element of the dishes isn’t there. Still very nice though 

I believe they have opened a small plates place down next to hippodrome in last year but not checked it out yet. Mate who is a Bristol food influencer went in for the launch and the pics looked great 

had meal in mint room one and it was nice but the few extra £ on everything made a massive difference on the bill at end. Might have been a couple of expensive Indian spiced old fashions on there that didn’t help either ha 

Rasassy in hotwells is a takeaway fave of mine , never had dine in there though. 

always find coronation curry house a bit of an odd one. It’s ranked as pretty much top restaurant in Bristol on Tripadvisor , and although the food is nice, the restaurant itself is pretty no frills. Can’t quite work out how it has reached its incredible rating. Is it because the guy who runs it is meant to be a top bloke?

• Like 1

Had a post match curry in Raj - Kings St on Saturday. Haven’t been for years and although it’s one of the old school Indian restaurants I really enjoyed it, some lovely flavours.

I’m looking forward to trying Rassay but might have to wait until next season. I’m off to Little French next month for my birthday, so looking forward to that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Had a post match curry in Raj - Kings St on Saturday. Haven’t been for years and although it’s one of the old school Indian restaurants I really enjoyed it, some lovely flavours.

I’m looking forward to trying Rassay but might have to wait until next season. I’m off to Little French next month for my birthday, so looking forward to that. 

Found it an odd vibe in there personally, went in just before Christmas. Food was nice enough, but every waiter/waitress acted like we were bothering them whenever we asked to order more drinks/sides. 

Am going to Rassay myself on Friday!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Found it an odd vibe in there personally, went in just before Christmas. Food was nice enough, but every waiter/waitress acted like we were bothering them whenever we asked to order more drinks/sides. 

Everyone was fine on Saturday, though we weren’t long in there as I had a train to catch. These things can happen though.

Enjoy Rassay, if you come back with a glowing review I might have to make a summer trip up at some point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Everyone was fine on Saturday, though we weren’t long in there as I had a train to catch. These things can happen though.

Enjoy Rassay, if you come back with a glowing review I might have to make a summer trip up at some point. 

Out of curiosity, did you ever try any Indian restaurants whilst you were living in France?

I have tried quite a few, most of which were embarrassingly poor, but I have also found two, perhaps three at a pinch, that have been surprisingly good - all in Paris/Île de France.

46 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Out of curiosity, did you ever try any Indian restaurants whilst you were living in France?

I have tried quite a few, most of which were embarrassingly poor, but I have also found two, perhaps three at a pinch, that have been surprisingly good - all in Paris/Île de France.

Yes we had one in Carcassonne that was ran by a couple from India. When we got to know them we explained that we liked our curries with a bit more spice than the a French and they would prepare meals especially for our taste.

They soon realised that most Brits liked it that way and would then offer any Brits eating there the spicier menu. Our French friends could barely handle a Korma.

Also had a very good one in Marseille once but besides that very hard to find decent ones. 

• Like 1

The successor restaurant to Al's Tikka Grill is now open in what was Ashton Plate just next to the Coopers on Ashton Road - now named Ali's Curry Palace. 

Went there Saturday after the Huddersfield game and it's up to it's usual standards, BYO too so good value night out. Book on 0117-985-5164

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes we had one in Carcassonne that was ran by a couple from India. When we got to know them we explained that we liked our curries with a bit more spice than the a French and they would prepare meals especially for our taste.

They soon realised that most Brits liked it that way and would then offer any Brits eating there the spicier menu. Our French friends could barely handle a Korma.

Also had a very good one in Marseille once but besides that very hard to find decent ones. 

There was one in Toulouse ran by a family from Bradford, was excellent!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, petehinton said:

I had exactly the same experience in there about 10 years ago, never been back. Most recent one i've had was Dhamaka on Clare Street, it was superb

This has always been my favourite tapas spot. I know it's Bath, but it's a no brainer on the train. Looking forward to trying the new Chefs work, to see if it's good as the previous one. Anyone else been and rate it? La Perla.

https://www.la-perla.co.uk/menu/

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5yL334IWVe/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==

Edited by spudski

Although in Bath, I enjoyed a meal at a the Coconut Tree. There’s a couple in Bristol as well.

Sri Lankan tapas-esq, so you get to order multiple dishes. Maybe 3 or 4 per couple. I think we ordered 5 though 😅

The majority of the food is spicy, but wonderful. Every dish ordered was great.

https://www.thecoconut-tree.com/

And as for drinks, they’ve got a great cocktail menu. I went for a Yaka!

• Like 2

Reverting to the subject of ‘Indian’ restaurants in France, and following on from the responses from @ralphindevon and @frenchred, the poor ones to which I referred earlier were mainly Bangladeshi or even Pakistani.

The two or three good ones were Indian managed, although, interestingly, none of them had an English background.

My main complaint was not so much the spice level, something that is easily rectified, but the generic sauces.

On one occasion, in a restaurant managed and staffed by Indians, I commented that it was a shame there was no lamb Rogan Josh on the menu (just various lamb ‘curries); the manager stated that it would be no problem to prepare me a Rogan Josh.

Et Voilà, two minutes later, our dishes arrived; my wife’s chicken Tikka Masala and my lamb Rogan Josh - with what looked and tasted like identical sauces 😂.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Reverting to the subject of ‘Indian’ restaurants in France, and following on from the responses from @ralphindevon and @frenchred, the poor ones to which I referred earlier were mainly Bangladeshi or even Pakistani.

The two or three good ones were Indian managed, although, interestingly, none of them had an English background.

My main complaint was not so much the spice level, something that is easily rectified, but the generic sauces.

On one occasion, in a restaurant managed and staffed by Indians, I commented that it was a shame there was no lamb Rogan Josh on the menu (just various lamb ‘curries); the manager stated that it would be no problem to prepare me a Rogan Josh.

Et Voilà, two minutes later, our dishes arrived; my wife’s chicken Tikka Masala and my lamb Rogan Josh - with what looked and tasted like identical sauces 😂.

I've had very similar where everything tastes pretty much the same hence why we stuck to the one owned and ran by the family from Bradford. Luckily for us they spread out and opened a second one, in the centre of Toulouse which again was very good.

But I do agree with your post previously!

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

I've had very similar where everything tastes pretty much the same hence why we stuck to the one owned and ran by the family from Bradford. Luckily for us they spread out and opened a second one, in the centre of Toulouse which again was very good.

But I do agree with your post previously!

I have visited ‘La Ville Rose’ on numerous occasions, mostly for business reasons and, unfortunately, generally just for a day or two.

I do remember two magnificent meals there, though; one in the centre (the street directly opposite the railway station) and, memorably, in a relatively small village a few kilometres outside.

In the town centre restaurant, I was advised by my client to try the ‘magret en croute de sel’. I was extremely sceptical, but it was magnificent - the first and only time I have tried it.

The village restaurant remains one of my favourite experiences (of traditional French restaurants).

It was early lunchtime, and I had a few hours to spare, so stopped in this small village, intending to have a light lunch before my final meeting at 16H00.

Unfortunately, I was tempted by the ‘Plat du Jour’, a duck cassoulet, with which I ordered a pichet (25cl) of the local red wine.

So far, so good.

And then the owner/chef popped out to serve my starter (some homemade duck terrine) and my wine, explaining that the main course would be ready in a few minutes.

Upon hearing my accent, he sat down to chat (and share my pichet of wine).

Well, the pichet was finished pretty quickly, and he soon returned with a replacement, 50cl of a better wine, that would go better with my duck cassoulet and which, of course, we again shared - still no main course.

In fact, said my new found friend, he had some wonderful saucisses de Toulouse, which he would add to my cassoulet.

Oh, and of course, he would also replenish the now empty pichet.

And so it went on.

Finally, my cassoulet arrived (and it was truly magnificent), and I managed to leave at about 15H30 - the restaurant was long empty and, would you believe it, the lovely manager refused payment!

I slipped a generous tip under the place mat, but this remains one of my favourite ever meals, both for the food itself and the overall experience.

Can you imagine something similar in the UK?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Although in Bath, I enjoyed a meal at a the Coconut Tree. There’s a couple in Bristol as well.

Sri Lankan tapas-esq, so you get to order multiple dishes. Maybe 3 or 4 per couple. I think we ordered 5 though 😅

The majority of the food is spicy, but wonderful. Every dish ordered was great.

https://www.thecoconut-tree.com/

And as for drinks, they’ve got a great cocktail menu. I went for a Yaka!

Coconut Tree is amazing. Tried Nadu the other day too which is very similar and also very decent.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have visited ‘La Ville Rose’ on numerous occasions, mostly for business reasons and, unfortunately, generally just for a day or two.

I do remember two magnificent meals there, though; one in the centre (the street directly opposite the railway station) and, memorably, in a relatively small village a few kilometres outside.

In the town centre restaurant, I was advised by my client to try the ‘magret en croute de sel’. I was extremely sceptical, but it was magnificent - the first and only time I have tried it.

The village restaurant remains one of my favourite experiences (of traditional French restaurants).

It was early lunchtime, and I had a few hours to spare, so stopped in this small village, intending to have a light lunch before my final meeting at 16H00.

Unfortunately, I was tempted by the ‘Plat du Jour’, a duck cassoulet, with which I ordered a pichet (25cl) of the local red wine.

So far, so good.

And then the owner/chef popped out to serve my starter (some homemade duck terrine) and my wine, explaining that the main course would be ready in a few minutes.

Well, the pichet was finished pretty quickly, and he soon returned with a replacement, 50cl of a better wine, that would go better with my duck cassoulet and which, of course, we again shared - still no main course.

In fact, said my new found friend, he had some wonderful saucisses de Toulouse, which he would add to my cassoulet.

And so it went on.

Finally, my cassoulet arrived (and it was truly magnificent), and I managed to leave at about 15H30 - the restaurant was long empty and, would you believe it, the lovely manager refused payment!

I slipped a generous tip under the place mat, but this remains one of my favourite ever meals, both for the food itself and the overall experience.

What a great story, we loved our time over there, truly a memorable experience

If your ever there the Indian was called L'Agra and was actually in blagnac close to the airport, another has since opened in Cornebarrieu, next to an expat bar that serves thatchers gold! Called Rajpoot, both worth a go!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frenchred said:

If your ever there the Indian was called L'Agra and was actually in blagnac close to the airport, another has since opened in Cornebarrieu, next to an expat bar that serves thatchers gold! Called Rajpoot, both worth a go!

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

So far, so good.

And so it went on.

Having just booked a trip to Toulouse, I wasn't expecting to visit a thread on Bristolian restaurants and find tips on where to go in Toulouse!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Having just booked a trip to Toulouse, I wasn't expecting to visit a thread on Bristolian restaurants and find tips on where to go in Toulouse!

:laugh:, I lived there for 12 years mate, it's a cracking city and the suburbs are mostly great as well, few expat bars dotted around and a huge Bristolian/Chester/Scottish expat community

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Message me if you need any info mate, glad to help

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, frenchred said:

It’s great how an influx of English has improved the Indian food around Blagnac.

I had an evening there fairly recently, early flight, and saw there was 3 nearby, the two you mentioned and one called Layaja which was in Cornebarrieu and the pub was called The Temple Meads. Sadly we had eaten a big lunch so didn’t try any.

I did go to one of them when I was living in Carcassonne, a little excursion after a trip to IKEA. Very good from memory and I’d forgotten about it until now.

47 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

It’s great how an influx of English has improved the Indian food around Blagnac.

I had an evening there fairly recently, early flight, and saw there was 3 nearby, the two you mentioned and one called Layaja which was in Cornebarrieu and the pub was called The Temple Meads. Sadly we had eaten a big lunch so didn’t try any.

I did go to one of them when I was living in Carcassonne, a little excursion after a trip to IKEA. Very good from memory and I’d forgotten about it until now.

The Temple Meads was called the carpet Diem before the landlord was an absolute loon but a lovely bloke, has retired to Spain now but has visited me in portishead previously! They sale That hers gold in there (under the bar!)

The bell English pub as was , was ran by a guy from Bristol! Alas it's gone now and he now works for Airbus!

• Like 1

On 14/04/2024 at 16:24, Robbored said:

Yes Nutmeg is awesome!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

4,500 miles from Delhi still the best curry house in Bristol though as it stands, imo. 

Been there many times, but gut feel is that it's gone down hill a bit in recent times.  Like Urban Tandoor, the chilli fish starter is the best thing.