IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 22/03/2024 at 12:27, jambodinho said:

Lisbon is high on my list purely down to the series “Somebody Feed Phil” on Netflix. He also ate at Ponto Final. Looked incredible. If you’ve not seen the series, at least have a look for that Lisbon episode. Certainly looks like a foodies heaven over there 

I've watched a lot of his episodes, as he visits some great places...however he has to be one of the most irritating people ever to watch. 

I love watching Antony Bourdain as well. Again some great experiences. Honest as well. 

As for Portugal, as everyone has said, fabulous seafood at incredible prices. 

Had the best ever Turbot in Alvor. Simply BBQd with lemon and butter outside the restaurant. 

And cooked the freshest sardines on an up turned lobster pot, under a fire on the beach. Fresh lemon, chilled vino Verde and super bock, watching the sun go down. Lives long in the memory. 

And who can't resist a Portuguese tart....😁

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Not long got back from Porto, cracking city, quality food, surprised me how serious they took there food, mercado do bolaho is an unreal market to visit on a sunny afternoon 

dirt cheap aswell 

Did you form the impression that their proportions are huge?

I have been to Portugal and Madeira on several occasions and, apart from the quality and (by UK/French standards) fantastic value for money, I often found difficulty in finishing my plate.

As you say, their markets, especially their fresh fish and seafood, are quite spectacular. 

7 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I think it'd genuinely who he is.

Maybe...seems he's a bit marmite with viewers. 

Comes across like a character from the sit coms he writes. Over the top. 

Each to their own though. I'll still watch 👍

Just now, spudski said:

If you like travel & food, it's a good watch.  I might be wrong, he may be a right mardy sod in real life! 🤣

2 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

If you like travel & food, it's a good watch.  I might be wrong, he may be a right mardy sod in real life! 🤣

Yes, that's why I see past his presentation style, as travel and food programmes are what I watch most. 

Now Antony Bourdain was a mardy sod...which I actually prefer 😂

• Like 2

I like Phil. His series has certainly made me want to visit places I’d not really thought of going to before. As mentioned before, Lisbon looks incredible and I’ll get there in the future. In the new series, Edinburgh and Washington DC look great. 
I loved Bourdain. Thought he was so cool. His series were a bit more political and highlighted the negative affects that tourism had on places. Made me not want to visit the places he’d been to 😂 He obviously had his own demons and that made him come across like he was a glass half empty kind of guy. Somebody feed Phil is a bit more cheerful but I’d probably rather sit and listen to Bourdain talk in his unique style. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes he does come across as a character from Everybody Loves Raymond, I can tolerate him but I loved ELR and love his food series but can totally understand people finding him irritating.

Bourdain is/was just brilliant though. Greatly missed.

• Like 2

Went to Cow and Sow on Queen Square last night using First Table offer (50% off food bill). Was bloody lovely! 3 course meal for 4 people, including loads of sides, £5 supplement for steaks and service charge, came to just £140. Saved over £100 with the First Table app. Brilliant offer. And to top it all off, on a Monday they allow you to bring your own wine for only £5 per bottle corkage charge, so that saved us a fortune on drinks too! 👍

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

On 26/03/2024 at 13:12, CyderInACan said:

Now this is great to see. One of Bristol's best kept secrets right here in BS3  

Such a dreadful article though. They've just aggregated a load of TripAdvisor scores.

To my knowledge Dave can't even cook paella there at the moment as he doesn't have an extraction system. Plus there's the small issue that the opening hours are "spontaneous" shall we say!

• Haha 1

Went to Achari last night on Cotham Hill as stop one of the death of my 20s tour. 

Haven’t been since pre covid and remember it being lush, but really can’t recommend enough. Proper lush food if you like your Indian, BYOB (charge £1 if you have brought booze in), and real cheap. 

Was a group of 9 of us, and 18 poppadoms, a main & naan each, shared rice, and £1 drink fee all came to just £16 each incl service charge!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Gonna concentrate on Tare Bistro which also looks great tbf

Went here a few weeks back and it we really good 

went to Gambas a couple of months back and thought that was great too.

Gambas prob edged it if I had to pick a winner 

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Went to Gambas in Cargo this week, wow, literally the best seafood I've eaten in the UK. Pricy as mind.

3 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Went here a few weeks back and it we really good 

went to Gambas a couple of months back and thought that was great too.

Gambas prob edged it if I had to pick a winner 

Well, I've made my feelings on Gambas clear in the past!

Question is, did you have the fried aubergine with molasses and/or goxua dessert? Two of the finest dishes in Bristol!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Gonna concentrate on Tare Bistro which also looks great tbf

It is, but that’s a huge shame. Can’t be cost related as Tare is fully booked all night every night consistently. Sigh. 

Off to Marmo again next Saturday in happier news!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Question is, did you have the fried aubergine with molasses and/or goxua dessert? Two of the finest dishes in Bristol!

Had both funnily enough as part of 9 dishes, but the pulpo a la Gallega octopus and tortita de camarones blew my little mind, especially the latter. Genuinely never eaten anything like that in the UK. Wine list is also extremely good, my Mrs has no interest in wine but she loved everything, La Mar 2021 and Samerias 2018 in particular. Top gaff that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Had both funnily enough as part of 9 dishes, but the pulpo a la Gallega octopus and tortita de camarones blew my little mind, especially the latter. Genuinely never eaten anything like that in the UK. Wine list is also extremely good, my Mrs has no interest in wine but she loved everything, La Mar 2021 and Samerias 2018 in particular. Top gaff that.

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, they've been doing the tortilitas de camarones for a few years now. Perfect appetiser with a glass of fino. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

It is, but that’s a huge shame. Can’t be cost related as Tare is fully booked all night every night consistently. Sigh. 

Off to Marmo again next Saturday in happier news!

Apparently not. The owners have said the reason they're closing is that it's not financially viable in the week. 

There is a trend away from taster menu's to small plates, so seems they're following that model. 

Enjoy Marmo.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Apparently not. The owners have said the reason they're closing is that it's not financially viable in the week. 

There is a trend away from taster menu's to small plates, so seems they're following that model. 

Enjoy Marmo.

Your penultimate paragraph is interesting.

Over the years, I have experienced several tasting menus, sometimes accompanied with the recommended wine floats, and, whilst most have been interesting, I can’t say I have left any of them with the feeling that I have enjoyed a fantastic meal.

As I said, the experiences have generally been interesting, but not sufficiently so that I felt like returning.

I appreciate that age affects appetite, but I far prefer a delicate starter followed by a well prepared and presented main course, than the typical 9 course tasting menus.

I rarely have a cheese course nowadays, as I have a wonderful cheese shop close by, and I find frequently that their choice and quality is superior than the majority of local restaurants, even including Michelin starred - obviously, far from the Île de France region, one is tempted to diversify and try local cheeses, dishes and wines.

On 04/04/2024 at 20:18, Kid in the Riot said:

Must admit it did not.

Went with my wife rather than with a big group. Ordered a fair few dishes but the aubergine didn’t jump out on paper over some of the others we ordered.

the octopus was one of best dishes I have eaten in Bristol though.

we also didn’t order any desert as the wife has no sweet tooth so we often skip it and just get a couple extra dishes earlier in meal 

I do like a desert tho so will save space for it next time