IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Bristol now home to just one Michelin star then.... 

its crown of the food capital outside of London maybe slipping? See paco tapas lost there star... no wonder he's set his sights on casamia again 

Think as my previous posts on Paco would suggest, I'm not surprised by that. Quite reassuring that they do go around checking them and not just let restaurants have "legacy" stars. 

On 28/01/2024 at 10:09, 1960maaan said:

Any one been to Mowgli yet ?
Looks good, and I always liked the look of the stuff the owner does on TV , but not been yet. 

Went last week.

Absolutely shambolic, our food took ages to arrive, several tables (including ours) got stuff that we didn’t order & heard a couple behind complain theirs had arrived cold.

Food was ok when it finally did arrive but certainly won’t be rushing back.

Not a patch on Dishoom in London.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Went last week.

Absolutely shambolic, our food took ages to arrive, several tables (including ours) got stuff that we didn’t order & heard a couple behind complain theirs had arrived cold.

Food was ok when it finally did arrive but certainly won’t be rushing back.

Not a patch on Dishoom in London.

That's a real shame, looked great on TV.

Almost popped in mowgli the other night on a walk in, but looked like there would be a wait so ducked it in the end. Maybe we dodged a bullet, although count have just been an off night on service I guess  

perhaps service will pick up when some of the initial crowds tail off

Finally got around to visiting Noah's last night and it was excellent. Fresh seafood served traditionally.

Porthilly oysters and huge Isle of Islay scallops to start, then we shared a delicious grilled whole black bream from Cornwall and cod loin and chips. The latter was about as good as fish n chips gets. A chunky cod loin which fell apart beautifully in a light but crispy batter. Yeah, it's £19.50 but the quality makes it comfortably worth it. They also do a match day special before City and Bears games, and an early evening special, where it's £15 and comes with a drink - that's great value.

Interesting drinks menu too. I had a Hungarian dessert wine called "fairytale" and a really nice amaretto made in Somerset. 

Already looking forward to going back.

20240208_203118.jpg

20240208_200556.jpg

20240208_200548.jpg

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Finally got around to visiting Noah's last night and it was excellent. Fresh seafood served traditionally.

Porthilly oysters and huge Isle of Islay scallops to start, then we shared a delicious grilled whole black bream from Cornwall and cod loin and chips. The latter was about as good as fish n chips gets. A chunky cod loin which fell apart beautifully in a light but crispy batter. Yeah, it's £19.50 but the quality makes it comfortably worth it. They also do a match day special before City and Bears games, and an early evening special, where it's £15 and comes with a drink - that's great value.

Interesting drinks menu too. I had a Hungarian dessert wine called "fairytale" and a really nice amaretto made in Somerset. 

20240208_203118.jpg

20240208_200556.jpg

20240208_200548.jpg

It looks very nice, especially the fish.

I don’t recall ever eating Isle of Islay scallops before (I probably drank too much of their whisky) but they look remarkably like mussels to me.

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It looks very nice, especially the fish.

I don’t recall ever eating Isle of Islay scallops before (I probably drank too much of their whisky) but they look remarkably like mussels to me.

The bream was great, as was the green salsa it came with. 

You can see the scallops just above the oysters 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The bream was great, as was the green salsa it came with. 

You can see the scallops just above the oysters 😉

Ah Yes, quite obvious now you menton it 😉.

A propos oysters, I am always amazed how expensive they are in restaurants, especially in the UK.

I am fortunate to have an excellent wet fishmonger close to me, and can often buy a dozen for about €5, opened in front of me (I don't know if you have ever tried, but opening oysters is a real bugger, even with a proper knife).

I prepare a simple Mignonette with a fresh eschalot (ludicrously cheap over here) and Voila, an excellent lunch for two - actually, I eat them all, as my wife cannot stand oysters, although she will help me with the accompanying bottle of chilled Sancerre.

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am fortunate to have an excellent wet fishmonger close to me, and can often buy a dozen for about €5, opened in front of me (I don't know if you have ever tried, but opening oysters is a real bugger, even with a proper knife).

I always wear garden gloves when opening them...and am rightly considered a bit of a wus 🤣

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

I always wear garden gloves when opening them...and am rightly considered a bit of a wus 🤣

Many years ago, I saw an old friend of mine, a chef in a local restaurant, take a huge chunk out of his hand whilst opening oysters.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t wearing gloves, but he was experienced.

I am just so nervous doing it, and, even in the fishmonger, it takes about 10 minutes to open a dozen oysters.

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Many years ago, I saw an old friend of mine, a chef in a local restaurant, take a huge chunk out of his hand whilst opening oysters.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t wearing gloves, but he was experienced.

I am just so nervous doing it, and, even in the fishmonger, it takes about 10 minutes to open a dozen oysters.

Not surprised. Lethal things...but well worth the risk.

On 04/02/2024 at 14:29, Slippin cider said:

Went here today for a stunning Sunday roast , the farm shop is also amazing!

https://www.lowdengardencentre.com/

Mentioned Lowdens further back in this tread and I agree!

The roast is amazing, as is the regular menu, cakes and coffee. Wins all round and all at a great price.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 00:35, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ah Yes, quite obvious now you menton it 😉.

A propos oysters, I am always amazed how expensive they are in restaurants, especially in the UK.

I prepare a simple Mignonette with a fresh eschalot (ludicrously cheap over here) and Voila, an excellent lunch for two - actually, I eat them all, as my wife cannot stand oysters, although she will help me with the accompanying bottle of chilled Sancerre.

22 hours ago, Red7 said:

Not surprised. Lethal things...but well worth the risk.

If you’re ever down my old part of France there are étangs (lagoons) behind the Med where they grow Oysters all along the coast from Perpignan to Montpelier.

There’s one place called Leucate where if you follow the étang down to where the inlet meets the sea, this is where all the oyster boats bring their catch in to shack type places where they unload them into tanks to go through the ultraviolet light system to filter out any bad stuff.

On the land side of the shacks are very basic restaurants, just tables and chairs, no cookers or anything. Here you can get the best oysters ever, simply delicious and will make you realise how different an oyster that has traveled any distance to be in a supermarket or fishmongers taste compared to fresh out of the water.

All served with the wine grown on the banks of the étangs, like a Picpoul de Pinet, which goes perfectly with seafood.

These shacks are the closest thing you’ll see to food outlets in S.E. Asia. Just an amazing experience.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BJ2Fz1DCjKc2JFet8?g_st=ic

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

If you’re ever down my old part of France there are étangs (lagoons) behind the Med where they grow Oysters all along the coast from Perpignan to Montpelier.

There’s one place called Leucate where if you follow the étang down to where the inlet meets the sea, this is where all the oyster boats bring their catch in to shack type places where they unload them into tanks to go through the ultraviolet light system to filter out any bad stuff.

On the land side of the shacks are very basic restaurants, just tables and chairs, no cookers or anything. Here you can get the best oysters ever, simply delicious and will make you realise how different an oyster that has traveled any distance to be in a supermarket or fishmongers taste compared to fresh out of the water.

All served with the wine grown on the banks of the étangs, like a Picpoul de Pinet, which goes perfectly with seafood.

These shacks are the closest thing you’ll see to food outlets in S.E. Asia. Just an amazing experience.

Well, as the old saying goes, every day is a school day.

I never knew one could get oysters from the Mediterranean.

On the subject of buying fresh oysters, one of my bugbears is that, of course, they are sold by weight, and then opened.

I swear there must be about 1/2 litre of sea water in one kilo of oysters, so 50% of the purchase weight is discarded immediately, not to mention the weight of the heavy shells.

The same is true of fresh shrimps, although at least the heads and shells can be used for stock.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

That sounds amazing. Coincidentally I had a glass of Picpoul with my oysters at Noahs - L'Abeille 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, as the old saying goes, every day is a school day.

I never knew one could get oysters from the Mediterranean.

On the subject of buying fresh oysters, one of my bugbears is that, of course, they are sold by weight, and then opened.

I swear there must be about 1/2 litre of sea water in one kilo of oysters, so 50% of the purchase weight is discarded immediately, not to mention the weight of the heavy shells.

The same is true of fresh shrimps, although at least the heads and shells can be used for stock.

Yeah I wasn’t sure when I first arrived there about getting oysters out of the warm waters of the Med.

The truth is, that area is known for its pretty constant and often strong winds. These constantly churn over the sea and the étangs keeping the water relatively cool compared to other parts. A good 5/6c cooler than Nice for instance. Great for shellfish not for swimming.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That sounds amazing. Coincidentally I had a glass of Picpoul with my oysters at Noahs - L'Abeille 

It’s often the case that whatever surrounds the vineyards food wise, will usually compliment the wine perfectly. Here the vineyards of Picpoul de Pinet touch the waters where they farm oysters and other shellfish.

IMG_1908.jpeg.d467221865e684764bb55676ec10c975.jpeg

Further inland on the slopes of the Montagne Noire a hearty red would go perfectly with Sanglier (wild boar) that roam amongst those vines.

Here you can see the shacks of Leucate, you can see where the South East Asia reference come from. It’s blisteringly hot there in the summer too.

IMG_1909.thumb.jpeg.985b247434e39cd4b7e85fb587455652.jpeg

• Like 3

Went to king st brewhouse after watching rugby in town yesterday to check out ‘eat the bird’ pop up thee 

they have a few places wales and south west but first time I have really heard of it . 

had a Korean chicken burger which has just won some national award , was absolutely banging! Cannot recommend it highly enough. 

shared a loaded buffalo and blue chicken fries too which was completely unecessary mindful of how big the burgers were anyway , but was also top draw  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Went to king st brewhouse after watching rugby in town yesterday to check out ‘eat the bird’ pop up thee 

they have a few places wales and south west but first time I have really heard of it . 

had a Korean chicken burger which has just won some national award , was absolutely banging! Cannot recommend it highly enough. 

shared a loaded buffalo and blue chicken fries too which was completely unecessary mindful of how big the burgers were anyway , but was also top draw  

Is it only a pop up? I’d heard they were coming to Bristol but didn’t realise it was just a pop up. They have a branch below the apartments at the County Ground in Taunton. Eaten there a few times before a t20 game or after a day watching some county championship cricket. It is fantastic. They were on a tv show a while back that was looking for the best takeaway food restaurant in the country and they won the fried chicken category. 

On 09/02/2024 at 07:42, Kid in the Riot said:

20240208_203118.jpg

20240208_200556.jpg

20240208_200548.jpg

We went there for lunch on Saturday - totally agree, thought it was excellent. The mussels were fantastic. We also had scallops, then the hake and the sole for mains. All washed down with a lovely bottle of white. Great lunch - we'll be back too!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Is it only a pop up? I’d heard they were coming to Bristol but didn’t realise it was just a pop up. They have a branch below the apartments at the County Ground in Taunton. Eaten there a few times before a t20 game or after a day watching some county championship cricket. It is fantastic. They were on a tv show a while back that was looking for the best takeaway food restaurant in the country and they won the fried chicken category. 

You may well be correct about it not being a pop up 

I always presume that even a place is operating out of a pub it’s more of temporary arrangement perhaps, a pop up or kitchen takeover or similar, while they test the water for perhaps a proper location of own 

Looking at website there is no mention of a limited period , so hopefully it stays there for good . 
nice to be able to get a decent pint with it at present too 

• Like 1