IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 10/12/2023 at 14:13, petehinton said:

Booked in to Pazzo on the 23rd. Have mourned pasta loco ever since it shut so suddenly. Here’s hoping it fills the void 

If you like your pasta Pete, would give La Panza a go if you haven't already. Quirky little place, but the food is fantastic.

Visited the Mayflower yesterday having met up in the White Hart.

Much to my surprise the entrance was underneath the shuttered facade and we had to descend a flight of stairs to enter the restaurant. The decor was pretty much what you’d expect in any Chinese restaurant.

The food was simply wonderful and I could see why it has such great reputation. At one point our group were the only  white people in there, everyone else was Chinese - obviously a good sign! We’ll definitely be going again and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes Chinese food.

After eating we all piled into the Bay Horse which was packed. Last night was the first time in years that I’d been in Bristol on a Friday evening and had forgotten just how busy it gets. Nailsea is definitely a one horse town in comparison.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Much to my surprise the entrance was underneath the shuttered facade and we had to descend a flight of stairs to enter the restaurant. The decor was pretty much what you’d expect in any Chinese restaurant.

The food was simply wonderful and I could see why it has such great reputation. At one point our group were the only  white people in there, everyone else was Chinese - obviously a good sign! We’ll definitely be going again and I’d recommend it to anyone who likes Chinese food.

After eating we all piled into the Bay Horse which was packed. Last night was the first time in years that I’d been in Bristol on a Friday evening and had forgotten just how busy it gets. Nailsea is definitely a one horse town in comparison.

I thought that was the restaurant I remembered and, now you mention going downstairs to reach it, my memory is confirmed 👍.

Glad you enjoyed your meal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’ve been there as well as Watersky (I think) over by ikea. Both very much Chinese restaurants that you’ll see packed with Chinese people; as you say a great sign. 

On 10/12/2023 at 09:17, Slippin cider said:

Pasture is fantastic, been a few times , just booked Sunday lunch ….first available date was in early May for 2 people!! 

You’re better off booking for 4, then on the day say that 2 have dropped out. Got a decent chance of getting in quicker.

I’m trying out Black Cumin on Thursday. Looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Won a £150 Pasture in the work charity raffle today! That’s a night out sorted!  

Lucky git!

17 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You’re better off booking for 4, then on the day say that 2 have dropped out. Got a decent chance of getting in quicker.

Bit of a shitty thing to do to the restaurant and potential diners though...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’ve only been Pasture once and that was in June. I’ve known people to do the above and be in at a couple weeks notice.

And the restaurant loses potential income because there is 2 people sat at a table that could have had 4 people around it. The hospitality industry has had a rough few years with covid and now their costs sky rocketing at the same time that customers have less and less money to spend on luxury’s such as eating out. You wouldn’t do it to a much smaller restaurant so why do it to pasture, just because they are doing well in difficult circumstances? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

And the restaurant loses potential income because there is 2 people sat at a table that could have had 4 people around it. The hospitality industry has had a rough few years with covid and now their costs sky rocketing at the same time that customers have less and less money to spend on luxury’s such as eating out. You wouldn’t do it to a much smaller restaurant so why do it to pasture, just because they are doing well in difficult circumstances? 

Selfishness 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Take it out on them.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

43 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Went to Steak of the Art the other day, it was ok but won’t be rushing back. It took an absolute age to get the food out.

As a 'Steak House'...I think they are really poor, so I'm not surprised. 

People go on about Pasture being the best. I disagree...I've found the Ox in Corn St, much better. 

Steaks and other items on menu all quality, and service and ambience much nicer imo. 

Worth trying if you haven't. 👍

https://theoxbristol.com/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spudski said:

People go on about Pasture being the best. I disagree...I've found the Ox in Corn St, much better. 

Steaks and other items on menu all quality, and service and ambience much nicer imo. 

Yeah they were the first of the new wave of central steakhouses if I recall correctly. Great heritage to build on as that used to be the well known Markwicks 

Markwicks sell Bristol restaurant - The Caterer

THE OX, Bristol - Old City - Updated 2023 Restaurant Reviews, Menu & Prices - Tripadvisor

• Like 1

On the subject of steaks, has anyone been to The Falcon in Wotton recently? Not strictly Bristol, I know… but close enough for me.

Been a few times, but on the last occasion I went it was disappointing for a few reasons.

The recent reviews looks like it’s doing well these days.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uJQryB4e3Ra8Y6Fi7?g_st=ic

10 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

On the subject of steaks, has anyone been to The Falcon in Wotton recently? Not strictly Bristol, I know… but close enough for me.

Been a few times, but on the last occasion I went it was disappointing for a few reasons.

The recent reviews looks like it’s doing well these days.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/uJQryB4e3Ra8Y6Fi7?g_st=ic

A friend of mine went there last week and said it was superb. 

I've heard other good comments from people locally over the past year. 

Haven't been there myself yet though.

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2023 at 06:58, spudski said:

My mate raves about the place, i need to give it a go. 

• Like 1