IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

13 hours ago, daored said:

Any suggestions for an Italian central (ish) to meet some friends in August. It has to be kid friendly (3 and 2 year old). Was thinking la grotto, many Friday lunch time spent there , but understand now closed. Last time in Bristol we were taken to Prezzo and it was shit . Any independent recommendations would be welcome 

Sadly, La Grotta has closed! It was a great little place too. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/end-era-la-grotta-set-8491815

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, daored said:

Any suggestions for an Italian central (ish) to meet some friends in August. It has to be kid friendly (3 and 2 year old). Was thinking la grotto, many Friday lunch time spent there , but understand now closed. Last time in Bristol we were taken to Prezzo and it was shit . Any independent recommendations would be welcome 

Ciao in Denmark Street is my go to. Family friendly, family run, amazing value and superb food.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, daored said:

Giuseppes,  as mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

Went out to Haveli the Yard last night and was really impressed. 
The service was good, really friendly staff and nice place. They didn't have the IPA, but instead of just saying "it's off" they explained they were having problems with new pumps, which I appreciated. I think it's a family business and they have managed to get a very nice atmosphere .
The food was delicious . I had the Machli Pokara to start which was lovely , Sag Gosht , a little spicey for my Wife but I loved it. She had the Garlic Tandoori Prawn which we both enjoyed. 
I will definitely go back and highly recommend .

On 07/08/2023 at 20:21, Kid in the Riot said:

Very reasonable still, given it's high quality fare https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:92f1e2b2-789c-437c-883e-223be373fca8

On 07/08/2023 at 21:17, Club and Country said:

Would tend to agree, obviously it's not the cheapest but you really are getting what you pay for 

We went to the Cow and Sow last night, prices are similar I think. Had the RibEye and the Wife had the the Sow sticky pork belly, the food and service was great again. Not made it to Pasture yet but will try and get there in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and agree with many of the Bristol recommendations. Have absolutely loved our meals at Pasta Ripiena, Root, Box E, Adelina Yard, Wilson's, Bulrush, Marmo and Cor. Some were visited following recommendations on this thread so thank you! I would also add Chido Wey as a little gem if you get a table! 

This Friday, we're out into Bath for the night so am looking for recommendations. I lived in Bath for a few years but have always been really underwhelmed with the restaurants. That may be because there is so much on offer in Bristol though?! I've eaten at the Olive Tree previously and we all felt that we had had better meals at non Michelin star restaurants in Bristol. Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, whale said:

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and agree with many of the Bristol recommendations. Have absolutely loved our meals at Pasta Ripiena, Root, Box E, Adelina Yard, Wilson's, Bulrush, Marmo and Cor. Some were visited following recommendations on this thread so thank you! I would also add Chido Wey as a little gem if you get a table! 

This Friday, we're out into Bath for the night so am looking for recommendations. I lived in Bath for a few years but have always been really underwhelmed with the restaurants. That may be because there is so much on offer in Bristol though?! I've eaten at the Olive Tree previously and we all felt that we had had better meals at non Michelin star restaurants in Bristol. Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated! 

Few places have popped up in bath recently, see a few below , having lived in Bristol and bath , bath is shockingly behind Bristol in terms of quality and choice but is slowly upping its game 

Hudson's steakhouse, not as good as pasture but kept to its roots and has never changed and will never let you down 

Menu Gordon Jones - similar to olive tree but much less refined and Gordon Jones is a loon! You will prob struggle to get in now though 

jars meze - about as traditional Greek place as you will find, all family run and owned 

Pinxto - very good tapas

honourable mention for antica, noyas kitchen and comptoir & cuisine 

• Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001p471

Had an email this morning:

The Hidden World of Hospitality with
Tom Kerridge

After several weeks of keeping it under wraps we are so excited to announce that The Pony Chew Valley will feature on the BBC TWO program
"The Hidden World of Hospitality with Tom Kerridge"
this Thursday August 17th at 8PM.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2023 at 11:11, exAtyeoMax said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001p471

Had an email this morning:

The Hidden World of Hospitality with
Tom Kerridge

After several weeks of keeping it under wraps we are so excited to announce that The Pony Chew Valley will feature on the BBC TWO program
"The Hidden World of Hospitality with Tom Kerridge"
this Thursday August 17th at 8PM.

Really good show. Need to book into the Pony for a roast soon. The community aspect of the Pony is incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I haven't actually ever been, always booked up!

Never been to the original in CV but we did go to the North Street pop-up a couple of times before it closed. As you'd expect it was very good, albeit probably a slightly more urban ambience than the original! 

• Like 1

Went to the Pony at Chew today for lunch. Fabulous food & reasonable choice of beer, and importantly low/no alcohol options.
Bit of a change from when we went pre renovation, nice biggish open space at the back , overlooking the garden and onto the fields.
We had Scallops (me) & Steak Tartar (Wife) , then Pork (me) & lemon sole (wife) which was huge , with a couple of sides. We took a desert out to the garden to share on the outside seats. Everything was top notch , nice and relaxed and good service. Check the prices so you don't get a surprise like the guy who left a shitty review that never mentioned the food at all. 
My Mrs is already planning to go again with her Sister & husband to be. 
Booking should be easy now with extra space @exAtyeoMax , there were a couple of empty seats today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Went to the Pony at Chew today for lunch. Fabulous food & reasonable choice of beer, and importantly low/no alcohol options.
Bit of a change from when we went pre renovation, nice biggish open space at the back , overlooking the garden and onto the fields.
We had Scallops (me) & Steak Tartar (Wife) , then Pork (me) & lemon sole (wife) which was huge , with a couple of sides. We took a desert out to the garden to share on the outside seats. Everything was top notch , nice and relaxed and good service. Check the prices so you don't get a surprise like the guy who left a shitty review that never mentioned the food at all. 
My Mrs is already planning to go again with her Sister & husband to be. 
Booking should be easy now with extra space @exAtyeoMax , there were a couple of empty seats today. 

Sounds good. Some ridiculous comments on tripadvisor, which rates it only the 3rd best restaurant in Chew Magna! Seriously who the **** would put this in a review : "The car parking was spacious although the rain spoilt it a bit by producing mud." 

I do fancy it but probably need to choose between Pony or the Chef's Table next to the Scotia. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Sounds good. Some ridiculous comments on tripadvisor, which rates it only the 3rd best restaurant in Chew Magna! Seriously who the **** would put this in a review : "The car parking was spacious although the rain spoilt it a bit by producing mud." 

I do fancy it but probably need to choose between Pony or the Chef's Table next to the Scotia. 

Not been to the Chef's table, just looking at the website. 
Will go on the list when the Mrs sees it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Hey people, I’m doing a pop-up at the Scrandit on Christmas Steps this Thursday-Sunday.

If you’re into South East Asian cuisine it will totally be up your street!

@Kid in the Riot you might be interested for sure ? 

Hi mate, you down there for all the advertised hours? I'll come say hi, and the scallop ceviche is giving me feelings ?

• Like 1