IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 25/05/2023 at 12:09, CyderInACan said:

Booked into Souk Kitchen on North St for Anniversary Meal on Saturday. It's bloody lovely in there, cosy & atmospheric. 

Only ever been in for breakfast, which was lovely. Look forward to hearing a review.

Only just seen this thread. 

Don’t know if anyone else has recommended it but absolutely love Muino on Cotham Hill. Bravas further down gets all the Tapas plaudits, and Pasta Loco is also nearby and well known, but the small tapas tasting plates in Muino are great and not too expensive. Table of 7 of us basically ate our way through the whole menu!

And a couple of weeks ago took the wife to Adelina Yard in Welsh Bsck for our anniversary. I hadn’t realised how few tables it has. Tasting menu expensive but exceptional, so somewhere to consider for a real occasion. Didn’t try the wine flight that went with the tasting menu as the wife’s given up alcohol, but it also seemed popular. 

• Like 2

On 27/05/2023 at 07:41, 1960maaan said:

Only ever been in for breakfast, which was lovely. Look forward to hearing a review.

It was, as usual, excellent. Usual selection of different small plates but by far and away the Octopus was the star of the show. We also had the Lemon Sole, Meatballs, crispy potatoes, watermelon and the Halloumi. Along with a large glass of white for ‘er indoors and a large rosé for me. Our table booking was fairly early at 7:15pm but it was nicely busy but I’m sure it would be much busier and buzzier in another hour for sure. 

recommended as always, as it seems to keep turning out great value and delicious food pretty much on our doorstep. 

FE7D3584-3F73-4AB7-94BA-305210C1ECE5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

You’re absolutely correct. Siam Thai is in Chipping Sodbury? And is also decent, but I love the one in Cheddar. 

The Zen is fantastic...really authentic. 

I used to go there under its previous owner, where the Chef was from Laos. Which was even better. The owner was a bit like Basil Fawlty...who was in a relationship with the chef. He'd come to the table calm and eloquent, but as soon as he went into the kitchen he'd start shouting at the chef, arguements ensued, pots could be heard falling...then he'd Swan out again like no one could hear ?? The food was awesome and the entertainment value was just as good. They used to serve a Gewurtztraminer that was to die for ...never been able to find it since sadly. 

The Siam Thai in Sodbury has been going for years and the food has been generally good. However yesterday I was told it now had a recent 1/5 hygiene rating ?? which I've checked and sadly true. Inspection report doesn't read well. 

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/97116

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

The Zen is fantastic...really authentic. 

I used to go there under its previous owner, where the Chef was from Laos. Which was even better. The owner was a bit like Basil Fawlty...who was in a relationship with the chef. He'd come to the table calm and eloquent, but as soon as he went into the kitchen he'd start shouting at the chef, arguements ensued, pots could be heard falling...then he'd Swan out again like no one could hear ?? The food was awesome and the entertainment value was just as good. They used to serve a Gewurtztraminer that was to die for ...never been able to find it since sadly. 

The Siam Thai in Sodbury has been going for years and the food has been generally good. However yesterday I was told it now had a recent 1/5 hygiene rating ?? which I've checked and sadly true. Inspection report doesn't read well. 

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/97116

Oh right, hopefully it’s just a minor blip, sometimes they shoot back up to a 5 within a month.

On another note, what’s the Mexican/Tapas place like? 

35 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Oh right, hopefully it’s just a minor blip, sometimes they shoot back up to a 5 within a month.

On another note, what’s the Mexican/Tapas place like? 

Awful mate...avoid. It's the sort of food you would make yourself at home mid week. 

And as for the Greek Village at the bottom of the street...I always thought the coriander tasted weird...

Raided after they were found to have hooked up to the mains via a street light outside and growing weed in the loft...over 300 plants...they've literally done a runner ??

52 minutes ago, spudski said:

Awful mate...avoid. It's the sort of food you would make yourself at home mid week. 

And as for the Greek Village at the bottom of the street...I always thought the coriander tasted weird...

Raided after they were found to have hooked up to the mains via a street light outside and growing weed in the loft...over 300 plants...they've literally done a runner ??

Oh that’s a shame, thanks for the head up

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomF said:

Haha yep I meet my mate in Bath every month or so and there so many as you say!  Few nice little gems amongst the many tho. 

Have you tried Thai Basil up Walcot St? Fantastic family run restaurant, perfect location for a pint in The Bell before and after.

On 02/06/2023 at 07:04, Rob k said:

I’m going here this evening in Clifton for a birthday, i shall let you know how it goes 

https://www.cliftonthai.co.uk

@TomF I went last night and had Salt and pepper squid, beef Massaman curry, and the table shared a pad Thai and a coconut rice, it was very nice indeed, for the 3 of us with drinks, starters and mains around £135. 

The one caveat i will put in, that’s the first Thai restaurant I’ve been to for about 20 years so don’t have much to compare it too but as said, i thought it was good, there were also a lot of Thai people in there eating which is usually a good sign. 

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TomF said:

Thank you! Will give it a try as that’s an easy(ish) drive from Portishead for the wife although she hates parking around there ?

There was loads of free parking on the streets around the restaurant - i could have parked literally outside 

1 minute ago, TomF said:

Reach media needs to go bust, and soon. 

I know HdV now own/run Avon Gorge, but the article is clearly referencing the centre HdV (photo, courtyard etc) the article is so poorly written that it defies belief that someone thought it fit to publish albeit online.

I agree. how long can that outfit carry on.

On 17/03/2023 at 17:25, Robbored said:

It’s excellent my favourite Indian that I’ve been to. Hope you booked - it get very busy over the weekend.

Try the duck -it’s amazing. They do a set meal as well and is excellent vfm. 

I’m not fan vegetarian restaurants, not that I’ve ever been to one. They just don’t appeal to me.

Took the Mrs to Rassasy on Friday night.

Very impressed to be honest, Chicken Madras was exceptional. I think we will be frequenting there quite a bit in the future.

• Like 1