IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 06/08/2023 at 17:09, 1960maaan said:

Went out to Haveli the Yard last night and was really impressed. 
The service was good, really friendly staff and nice place. They didn't have the IPA, but instead of just saying "it's off" they explained they were having problems with new pumps, which I appreciated. I think it's a family business and they have managed to get a very nice atmosphere .
The food was delicious . I had the Machli Pokara to start which was lovely , Sag Gosht , a little spicey for my Wife but I loved it. She had the Garlic Tandoori Prawn which we both enjoyed. 
I will definitely go back and highly recommend .

I’ll second Haveli the Yard. Lovely Indian restaurant and a decent selection on draught.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Has anyone been to the olive shed on the harbour? I walked past it the other day and the food looked quite nice, might pop in for lunch next time im passing 

Yes mate...I use it regularly. If you can get a table outside on a sunny day it's fab. 

Small plate type Tapas. Not a huge menu.

The Calamari is freshly made and good quality. 

Negroni is nice as well. 

Estrella too.

• Like 1

Just now, spudski said:

Yes mate...I use it regularly. If you can get a table outside on a sunny day it's fab. 

Small plate type Tapas. Not a huge menu.

The Calamari is freshly made and good quality. 

Negroni is nice as well. 

Estrella too.

Cheers - i will give it a go then ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob k said:

Has anyone been to the olive shed on the harbour? I walked past it the other day and the food looked quite nice, might pop in for lunch next time im passing 

Crikey that’s been going for a long time now.

I used to go there quite often when I lived in Bristol some 20 years ago. It was about the only thing around there at the time, now there’s all sorts around.

Always enjoyed it on a summers evening, especially 2003 which was a boiling hot summer in Bristol. Good to see it’s still going strong.

17 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Crikey that’s been going for a long time now.

I used to go there quite often when I lived in Bristol some 20 years ago. It was about the only thing around there at the time, now there’s all sorts around.

Always enjoyed it on a summers evening, especially 2003 which was a boiling hot summer in Bristol. Good to see it’s still going strong.

Yeah I have been there once - again though - a long time ago. Top quality & always gets good reviews. Great location too. 

13 hours ago, spudski said:

I still haven't been there, but hoping to soon.
I grew up around there and the place was my mates Dad's hardware shop . Looking forward to seeing how it's changed.

• Like 1

Went to the trusty steed Souk Kitchen last night. Bit surprised to find it only half full on arrival given it was a beautiful warm evening. 

Then viewed the menu which offered a possible explanation - they've certainly jacked the prices up. We used to always start with the flatbread and dips which I reckon was about £6. Now the bread alone is £4.60 and the dips are about £5 EACH! A pretty basic tomato salad £9.50, a courgette dish £8... a sign of the times I guess, they're certainly not the only ones that have increased prices. 

That said, still thoroughly enjoyed all of the food which was up to the usual high standard. And actually the bill at the end wasn't too bad!

• Sad 1

On 08/09/2023 at 10:05, Kid in the Riot said:

Went to the trusty steed Souk Kitchen last night. Bit surprised to find it only half full on arrival given it was a beautiful warm evening. 

Then viewed the menu which offered a possible explanation - they've certainly jacked the prices up. We used to always start with the flatbread and dips which I reckon was about £6. Now the bread alone is £4.60 and the dips are about £5 EACH! A pretty basic tomato salad £9.50, a courgette dish £8... a sign of the times I guess, they're certainly not the only ones that have increased prices. 

That said, still thoroughly enjoyed all of the food which was up to the usual high standard. And actually the bill at the end wasn't too bad!

A staple favourite of ours', never lets you down. Trying Cor on North St on Thursday. Expecting good things. 

• Admin

Went out tonight, taking my mum out for a meal as haven’t seen her for a while, wasn’t going to be anything special just a bit of pub grub at the Yanleigh, which is basic pub grub, but has always been OK when I’ve been in there.  Car park was rammed and all tables I could see pulling in were full, so I didn’t bother, ended up somewhere I haven’t been before, but I’ll definitely go back, Alfresco, Cleeve (on the A370).  Three of us, all had different meals and starters, no one had anything negative to say about any of it.  Friendly service, reasonable prices and tasty food.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Don’t think it’s open in Bristol yet, but keep tabs and get on it!

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/restaurants/bristol/?cn-reloaded=1

I went to the Mowgli in Cardiff before watching the excellent Coldplay ?

Amazing food and it’s simply a must.

Ahhhh absolutely buzzing. One round the corner from where I work on charlotte street. Delicious!

• Flames 1

We definitely need to talk about Adelina Yard. 

I'm giving that place an 8 and a half cans of Natch out of 10. 

Just a couple of pics below of the amuse bouche and dessert. But the stand-out dish was smoked eel. That is, pieces of smoked eel, in a smoked eel custard with puffed rice amongst other ingredients. I don't like smoked dishes, or eel in particular, but this dish was fantastic. Partridge (not Alan) main was exceptional, and even the petit fours Somerset cyder fruit jellies were magnificent.

Full attention to detail. This is comfortably one of the best restaurants in Bristol. 

Their 4 course lunch for £38 Weds-Fri  is frankly an absolute bargain given the levels of cooking on display. 

20230928_122039.jpg

20230928_133424.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We definitely need to talk about Adelina Yard. 

I'm giving that place an 8 and a half cans of Natch out of 10. 

Just a couple of pics below of the amuse bouche and dessert. But the stand-out dish was smoked eel. That is, pieces of smoked eel, in a smoked eel custard with puffed rice amongst other ingredients. I don't like smoked dishes, or eel in particular, but this dish was fantastic. Partridge (not Alan) main was exceptional, and even the petit fours Somerset cyder fruit jellies were magnificent.

Full attention to detail. This is comfortably one of the best restaurants in Bristol. 

Their 4 course lunch for £38 Weds-Fri  is frankly an absolute bargain given the levels of cooking on display. 

20230928_122039.jpg

20230928_133424.jpg

Sorry but I refuse on principle (and probably political grounds) to eat at any restaurant that uses the term, let alone serves, an ‘amuse bouche’.  Should be closed down immediately.  I regard anyone who favours an ‘amuse bouche’ as my class enemy.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry but I refuse on principle (and probably political grounds) to eat at any restaurant that uses the term, let alone serves, an ‘amuse bouche’.  Should be closed down immediately.  I regard anyone who favours an ‘amuse bouche’ as my class enemy.

Fantastic 😂 

The amuse bouche was a beetroot meringue with cods roe puree in the middle. 

Assume that would be your class enemy too 😉 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I'd definitely prefer an amusing bush.

• Haha 3

On 11/09/2023 at 11:02, CyderInACan said:

A staple favourite of ours', never lets you down. Trying Cor on North St on Thursday. Expecting good things. 

What did you think, Reg?

I went for my 60th last month & was massively underwhelmed, incredibly expensive (the bill was around £200) the vegetarian selection really mediocre & at 7.30 they didn’t have enough beer for me, my daughter & stepson to have a pint each.

Won’t be rushing back, though it is clearly doing very well.

14 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I quite like my Bouche being amused

On 18/09/2023 at 13:53, Pickle Rick said:

I went to the Mowgli in Cardiff before watching the excellent Coldplay ?

Amazing food and it’s simply a must.

Stayed over in Leicester after the game last week and went to Mowgli's. The food is not your usual Indian fare and the dishes are smaller, which is good in my view as you can order a greater selection of interesting dishes. All was good, tasty and reasonably priced. It was though quite a "fast food" type establishment with all our dishes being delivered within a matter of minutes and lingering not encouraged.  If you want to take time I'd suggest ordering in stages. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Stayed over in Leicester after the game last week and went to Mowgli's. The food is not your usual Indian fare and the dishes are smaller, which is good in my view as you can order a greater selection of interesting dishes. All was good, tasty and reasonably priced. It was though quite a "fast food" type establishment with all our dishes being delivered within a matter of minutes and lingering not encouraged.  If you want to take time I'd suggest ordering in stages. 

Fair shout.

When we went to the Cardiff restaurant, we took our time and food came out gradually. Sounds like a bit of a different experience. We were there for over an hour I’d say.

It was nice to have a good selection. I think perhaps 6 or 7 dishes were ordered between the two of us. We maybe went overboard!

Went to Pazzo today on Whiteladies Road (used to be Bar Humbug) …run by the guys and gals from Pasta Loco that closed in July . The place is bright and the decor modern and inviting. 
The food was great, I had a Crab starter and then Duck Confit for main and Mrs Cider had Scallops and then a delicious Goat curry pasta dish which was superb! Proper Garlic bread and some great wine complemented everything. Looking forward to another visit soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.30fda73a5946274676eaafc9887e7761.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f88ca872192713bb2f036a3c3930e8bb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 30/09/2023 at 08:56, GrahamC said:

What did you think, Reg?

I went for my 60th last month & was massively underwhelmed, incredibly expensive (the bill was around £200) the vegetarian selection really mediocre & at 7.30 they didn’t have enough beer for me, my daughter & stepson to have a pint each.

Won’t be rushing back, though it is clearly doing very well.

We enjoyed it - the sharing plates we had were excellent, with special mentions for the Cuttlefish and the Bavette. Wine was expensive though I thought. It's quite small but didn't feel too overpowering so there was a nice atmosphere. Jon Lansdown was also there at the same time & seemed to be enjoying himself with his fellow guests.

A good addition to North Street. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin

Went to Little French the other evening, great service, food was good, scallop starter, Cote de Beouf to share, followed by a simple, but delicious chocolate mousse.  Nice wine list, whole experience was pricey but good.  Been meaning to try it for years, ever since it featured in Remarkable Places to Eat.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Went to Little French the other evening, great service, food was good, scallop starter, Cote de Beouf to share, followed by a simple, but delicious chocolate mousse.  Nice wine list, whole experience was pricey but good.  Been meaning to try it for years, ever since it featured in Remarkable Places to Eat.

Been four times now , never had the Cote de beouf , how was it? Had the scallops and the mouse. Delicious.