IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm glad you said this. We ended up there after a Weller gig and thought they were being ****ts because we got there late.
Shit service, average food in a place I didn't want to go to. Not a big fan of the one in Clifton TBF.

We're due to visit the Ivy in Clifton for some family thing in the not too distant - have to say that I've not heard great things about it.

Evidently, we're only going because my sister has 'always' wanted to eat there. I'm not sure she has done her homework on the place and just recognises the name of it. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We're due to visit the Ivy in Clifton for some family thing in the not too distant - have to say that I've not heard great things about it.

Evidently, we're only going because my sister has 'always' wanted to eat there. I'm not sure she has done her homework on the place and just recognises the name of it. 

First time we went there we were turned away as we just wanted drinks, fair enough  at times I suppose. 
Not been there for ages so I wont comment as it may have improved, but like you say not heard great things.

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

First time we went there we were turned away as we just wanted drinks, fair enough  at times I suppose. 
Not been there for ages so I wont comment as it may have improved, but like you say not heard great things.

Curiosity got the better of me and I've just had a look at the menu, it doesn't look that interesting. It also appears to be quite expensive for what I'm going to guess are smaller than average portions. Can't worry too much, someone else has agreed to pick up the tab, but if it was my call, I'd look to go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Three Michelin starred places to try, the Italian restaurant Marmo, the Blaise Inn pub in Henbury and Mediterranean restaurant COR.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/michelin-guide-three-bristol-restaurants-8279031?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Three Michelin starred places to try, the Italian restaurant Marmo, the Blaise Inn pub in Henbury and Mediterranean restaurant COR.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/michelin-guide-three-bristol-restaurants-8279031?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

I am sure they are all very nice, but I am sceptical as to whether they have a Michelin Star, almost certainly not the Blaise Inn.

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not a Star, but an award.

The Michelin Guide has named 20 eateries given a Bib Gourmand award, including an impressive three spots hailing from Bristol.

Not been to any of Marmo, Blaise Inn or COR , any thoughts ?

I went to Marmo earlier this year. Has a lovely bistro vibe to it and the staff and wine are excellent. I though the food was great too, but they do like to play with some odd combinations (on the menu we had at least) which I guess could end up being a bit hit and miss depending on your taste! Would recommend though - definitely worth a try, we had a lovely evening there.

Want to try Pasta Ripiena next door too....

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not a Star, but an award.

The Michelin Guide has named 20 eateries given a Bib Gourmand award, including an impressive three spots hailing from Bristol.

Not been to any of Marmo, Blaise Inn or COR , any thoughts ?

I concur with @Bob Turnip on Marmo. It's not traditional Italian food, but a twist on Italian. I had fried pigs head as a starter, which I'd never had before but was excellent. 

Not been Blaise Inn, but it's run by the previous head chef of Harvey Nichols. I ate there a few times and the food was always really good, so I'm sure she's continued that at Blaise.

I know the owner of COR so a bit biased but I visited in Nov and thought it was excellent. He used to be head chef at Gambas.

I thought Rassasy was excellent last weekend @Robbored. Went with the set menu and thoroughly enjoyed it. Up there with Nutmeg for me. Tandoori lamb chops and the lamb curry were the highlights. The rasmalai dessert (made of milk solids) didn't have the most pleasing of textures, but that's Indian desserts for you! Good value too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I thought Rassasy was excellent last weekend @Robbored. Went with the set menu and thoroughly enjoyed it. Up there with Nutmeg for me. Tandoori lamb chops and the lamb curry were the highlights. The rasmalai dessert (made of milk solids) didn't have the most pleasing of textures, but that's Indian desserts for you! Good value too. 

Glad you enjoyed it Kid, it’s my favourite Indian that I’ve been to and better than the Mint Room and Urban Tandoori in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 17:34, Bristol Rob said:

Curiosity got the better of me and I've just had a look at the menu, it doesn't look that interesting. It also appears to be quite expensive for what I'm going to guess are smaller than average portions. Can't worry too much, someone else has agreed to pick up the tab, but if it was my call, I'd look to go elsewhere. 

I have to say, i went to the restaurant in Cheltenham last summer and i actually thought it was nice. The portion sizes were ok, i had squid to start and a monkfish and prawn curry for the main which i enjoyed 

With a free Saturday afternoon and no excuses, me and the Mrs went to Grano for lunch. Really enjoyed it.
Friendly and good service, 2 mains drinks ( beer & a cocktail) and 2 Puds for around £50 which I though was good.
Really need to go back on an evening now. 

On 23/03/2023 at 15:30, Bob Turnip said:

I went to Marmo earlier this year. Has a lovely bistro vibe to it and the staff and wine are excellent. I though the food was great too, but they do like to play with some odd combinations (on the menu we had at least) which I guess could end up being a bit hit and miss depending on your taste! Would recommend though - definitely worth a try, we had a lovely evening there.

Want to try Pasta Ripiena next door too....

Ripiena is amazing.

I think Pasta Loco, Ripiena, Marmo, Wilsons and Pasture are my Bristol Top 5. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Go on...

I'm heading to Menu Gordon Jones in Bath for my bday, v excited. 

Was really good mate. Menu changes weekly but there’s a few plates that are consistent broadly. 

Concept is that all plates are shared, so recommended to have two starters and two mains to share, as they are ‘a portion and a half’ which I personally haven’t come across before. Just big plates in the middle and given a few small plates each as ‘your own’ and then you can just scoop stuff onto your plate as and when. Almost a tapas type style but with big portions. Food was amazing. Really nice pastas and meats. 

Pretty incredible they can have an award winning bakery during the day downstairs, and such a popular up and coming restaurant upstairs in the same building in the evening. It all changes over from 6pm I believe, from then You enter in/out of a separate door so feels almost like going into a secret party or something.

Get to leave to the smell of all the bread and pastries being set up for the following morning too, although was too full to even give that a thought 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Really surprised that (as far as I can find) the Mayflower near the Bus Station isn't on this list. I honestly think it is up there with the best Chinese restaurants anywhere in the UK. 

It's probably the most underrated restaurant in Bristol. 

The area and frontage probably puts people off. 

However...it's always full of Chinese people which is always a good sign if you want some sort of authenticity. 

Everyone I know who's eaten there races about it. 

I've had some great meals there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Could any of you local's recommend a list of restaurants in Bristol that would be worth looking at for a couple of weekend's time?

a lot of the recommends on this thread will need advance booking, so be aware of that.

what do you like? what's your budget? etc.

23 hours ago, 2015 said:

Could any of you local's recommend a list of restaurants in Bristol that would be worth looking at for a couple of weekend's time?

Does it need to be a certain area ? 
Any style preference ?
Price range ?

Lots of choices and plenty on here could give you a good steer, but might be handy to narrow it down a little.
Not been out a lot lately, but these are the ones I've been and enjoyed.

Grano old market , Pasta . Very good recently, will have to book probably, closed Sundays-Tuesday

Kensington Arms , Redland , Sunday lunch. Nice lunch and you might get in without a booking. Was busy but seemed to have odd tables, we booked on the Thursday before.

Bianchis,  Montpellier , another Sunday lunch but the best roast potatoes I've had. Bit pricey maybe and you will have to book.

As I say, others on here will be more helpful.

Edited by 1960maaan