IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Food critique is like Art and Music. What's good for one person, is awful for another. 

Read up about how he became a food writer. Not just the one I posted.

He's established himself now, over a period of time. Because he is a good writer, he admits that himself. Not because of knowledge of food. He writes and gets paid to do it.

However...his critique is no more important than anyone else, who is a keen foodie, and visits many restaurants, and knows about ingredients, cooking styles, price points, etc. The only difference being they aren't paid to do it, and don't get the platform. 

I'd rather listen to keen foodies on here (like yourself), or local food blogs, who know the local area, and how it ticks, than him.

Food critiques in general are bazaar. The amount of coverage they get, and influence can ruin or establish a business. Just because of one person's opinion. 

When he started out, he had no more knowledge of food, restaurants, business, than anyone else that was just keen on eating out. 

I've read his opinions, and often disagree with them. Obviously others like his opinions. Food and food experience is subjective. 

I'm a keen foodie, visit many different types of establishments, both here and abroad. 

I've also cooked professionally. Not restaurants, but in high end ski chalets in France. Where expectations were high. Had to do courses etc. 

I've also recently done business plans and menu plans for local establishments to myself. 

So it's not like I have no idea at all on the subject. 

It's all just opinions. His is no more important than yours imo. 

I agree that your or anyone’s opinion on restaurants is any less valued than Rayner - unlike him you have experience of working in a professional kitchen including French cuisine and that makes you more qualified.

Maybe you should write regular food reviews. You’re certainly articulate enough.

Edited by Robbored
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I disagree that you’re opinion on restaurants is any less valued than Rayner - unlike him you have experience of working in a professional kitchen including French cuisine and that makes you more qualified.

Maybe you should write regular food reviews. You’re certainly articulate enough.

Thanks for the kind words RR.

As I posted earlier. Critique on food and restaurants is subjective imo.

Everyone can have an opinion, and like or dislike different things. 

I wouldn't say I'm anymore qualified than anyone else who has an opinion.

I may have a certain understanding, that others may not. But I'd never be dismissive of their opinion. I may totally disagree with them, or totally agree.

In this instance, I find Jay Rayner not to my liking. And haven't for a while. Just an opinion, nothing more.

Others love him. It's subjective. 

There will be many that are far more qualified than me to have an opinion based on experience. 

You've only got to read reviews left on restaurant websites, to see how different we all are with opinions. 

Every review is valued. You can choose to agree or disagree and make you're own mind up. 

When I cooked in Chalets, I would have 12 to 14 people to cater for, every day for a week. Then it would be a new set of people arriving each week. All meals and drinks catered for. Unlike a restaurant, you have the same people to please for 7 days. 

It was a tough gig. Everybody had their own preferences. Every day was different. Some preferred fine dining, others preferred a more relaxed ' family' service experience. 

Expectations were high. Keeping certain items fresh at altitude was also a nightmare. Fruit and Veg goes off really quick. 

I wouldn't want to do it now. Everyone seems to have an allergy to something. It's a ball ache. If you had someone with a nut allergy visit, everything in the kitchen food wise was removed, deep cleaned and fresh brought in. 

Anyone doing a review wouldn't have a clue as to the restrictions and such like in place. 

Hence why I feel certain reviews are often misrepresentative. As they have no idea as to what's going on behind the scenes. And it can only take one bad review to ruin a business. 

As for writing a food blog/ review, I think there are enough as it is. Plus time is a premium. I'd have to give up posting here :laugh: 

It's certainly a tough time for the restaurant industry. Produce and power charges gone through the roof. 

Pop ups, street food, markets are on the rise for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Nah...it's because you're a troll.

Go back to doing what you do best.

Jizzing over posters of Tony Blair.

I'm really not interested in your opinion.

I'd rather discuss with others who I respect. 

I don't like you, or respect your opinion. Just avoid. 

Christ. What an utter fanny you really are.

@Robbored The Mint room is good but on the expensive side- Clifton premium I suppose. I had a lamb shank which was very good but the service was very slow and it wasn’t particularly busy. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Thanks for the kind words RR.

As I posted earlier. Critique on food and restaurants is subjective imo.

Everyone can have an opinion, and like or dislike different things. 

I wouldn't say I'm anymore qualified than anyone else who has an opinion.

I may have a certain understanding, that others may not. But I'd never be dismissive of their opinion. I may totally disagree with them, or totally agree.

In this instance, I find Jay Rayner not to my liking. And haven't for a while. Just an opinion, nothing more.

Others love him. It's subjective. 

There will be many that are far more qualified than me to have an opinion based on experience. 

You've only got to read reviews left on restaurant websites, to see how different we all are with opinions. 

Every review is valued. You can choose to agree or disagree and make you're own mind up. 

When I cooked in Chalets, I would have 12 to 14 people to cater for, every day for a week. Then it would be a new set of people arriving each week. All meals and drinks catered for. Unlike a restaurant, you have the same people to please for 7 days. 

It was a tough gig. Everybody had their own preferences. Every day was different. Some preferred fine dining, others preferred a more relaxed ' family' service experience. 

Expectations were high. Keeping certain items fresh at altitude was also a nightmare. Fruit and Veg goes off really quick. 

I wouldn't want to do it now. Everyone seems to have an allergy to something. It's a ball ache. If you had someone with a nut allergy visit, everything in the kitchen food wise was removed, deep cleaned and fresh brought in. 

Anyone doing a review wouldn't have a clue as to the restrictions and such like in place. 

Hence why I feel certain reviews are often misrepresentative. As they have no idea as to what's going on behind the scenes. And it can only take one bad review to ruin a business. 

As for writing a food blog/ review, I think there are enough as it is. Plus time is a premium. I'd have to give up posting here :laugh:

It's certainly a tough time for the restaurant industry. Produce and power charges gone through the roof. 

Pop ups, street food, markets are on the rise for a reason. 

Fair play that sounds like it must have been an amazing experience. Very hard work no doubt but I hope it left you some time to enjoy the slopes!? And the aprés ski too of course. 

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Fair play that sounds like it must have been an amazing experience. Very hard work no doubt but I hope it left you some time to enjoy the slopes!? And the aprés ski too of course. 

Yes, it was good fun at the time. Met some incredible people. Learnt a lot. And had some memorable experiences, and made lifetime friendships.

Thankfully once you got into a routine, there was plenty of time for the slopes, and Apres. You live on adrenaline for the best part of 5 months....and alcohol :laugh: 

Sadly it's a lot harder for Brits to find this sort of work since Brexit. So much red tape. 

Waking up in the mountains every morning, with such beautiful scenery is such a pleasure. 

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Ivy Brasserie’s feel like a human experiment project to me. Unbelievably average, expensive and yet tick so many boxes for loads of people who just want to post about going there on Insta. 

Mate of mine used to work in the kitchen, and so much of it is microwaved and extremely cheap ingredients. So so many better indie options. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Ivy Brasserie’s feel like a human experiment project to me. Unbelievably average, expensive and yet tick so many boxes for loads of people who just want to post about going there on Insta. 

Mate of mine used to work in the kitchen, and so much of it is microwaved and extremely cheap ingredients. So so many better indie options. 

My mate gave me an account of his visit recently. Sounded horrific.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

Ivy Brasserie’s feel like a human experiment project to me. Unbelievably average, expensive and yet tick so many boxes for loads of people who just want to post about going there on Insta. Mate of mine used to work in the kitchen, and so much of it is microwaved and extremely cheap ingredients. So so many better indie options. 

The Ivy is a lovely venue to be fair. The service is good and the food ok. But like you, my chef mate said the kitchen is a mess; they mentioned bad hygiene too, which is unforgiveable for a brand name like The Ivy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The Ivy is a lovely venue to be fair. The service is good and the food ok. But like you, my chef mate said the kitchen is a mess; they mentioned bad hygiene too, which is unforgiveable for a brand name like The Ivy.

Me and Mrs Cider did go to The Ivy in Clifton a while ago for breakfast and have to say it was lovely but that’s not to say every restaurant is the same .

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Went to the Mint Room last night. It was the most unusual Indian restaurant that I’ve ever been to, not least the menu which was a little pretentious. I was a little disappointed and didn’t think the food was that good.

I’ve not been but Mrs went with friends a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it …for me, you can’t beat Urban Tandoor…superb food .

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

I’ve not been but Mrs went with friends a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it …for me, you can’t beat Urban Tandoor…superb food .

I’ve never seen lobster or crab on an Indian menu before. I realise that they’re trying to be a step up against other Indian restaurants but it was too pretentious Imo. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’ve never seen lobster or crab on an Indian menu before. I realise that they’re trying to be a step up against other Indian restaurants but it was too pretentious Imo. 

India has a diverse diet...it's such a vast country. 

Many of the coastal regions and southern areas consume lots of fish and shell fish. 

More than chicken or meat. 

Pulses and veg are the main diet however. 

So it may seem pretentious RR...but in fact it's not. 

When I've been to Goa and Kerala as well as Sri Lanka...I pretty much lived off fish, prawns, crabs and even lobster. There was an abundance. 

So to serve it in a restaurant is a true reflection ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Went to the Mint Room, and it really feels like it's nice, but I've done that now. Urban Tandoor is different, we went back and will go back again.

Check out their social Media, it's interesting.

The Good Measure pub on Chandos Road, every Thursday from 6pm, has a pop-up. Mr Noodle operates from the kitchen at what was formerly Chandos Social, which is conveniently just down the street from the award-winning Good Chemistry-owned pub.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/bristols-ramen-pop-up-serving-8236922?fbclid=IwAR0DGT4Jo49wv_26C5JEYVpcP6jJre54_7XOOmYi5xAZEXPzMq6vfMQlark

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What did you order?

Lamb Cutlets starter - was ok but nothing special 

Main -Lobster biriany. The spices overpowered the taste of the lobster. My buddy had soft shell crab and he said the same

We were disappointed. and won’t be going there again,

On 11/03/2023 at 15:11, Slippin cider said:

I went there for the 4th or 5th time last week.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about. The food is little more than 'average curry house' the service is rushed and whilst the prices are agreeable, there is nothing about the place whatsoever that makes me think 'this is exceptional' - each and every time, I leave feeling underwhelmed. 

I'm sure it's just because they book a table at every awards dinner going that they win things, nothing about the venue, the staff, the food or the service is stand out.

I'm obviously missing something that everyone else gets, but for me the reputation it has isn't justified. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I went there for the 4th or 5th time last week.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about. The food is little more than 'average curry house' the service is rushed and whilst the prices are agreeable, there is nothing about the place whatsoever that makes me think 'this is exceptional' - each and every time, I leave feeling underwhelmed. 

I'm sure it's just because they book a table at every awards dinner going that they win things, nothing about the venue, the staff, the food or the service is stand out.

I'm obviously missing something that everyone else gets, but for me the reputation it has isn't justified. 

I’ve only been to the Small St restaurant once and it was very good but the sister restaurant at the top of Whiteladies road is excellent and has recently been refurbished.

Another great restaurant is Coronation Curry house next to The Avon Packet 

On 09/03/2023 at 12:06, Robbored said:

I’ve eaten in possibly hundreds of Indian restaurants over many decades and have only seen duck on the menu in one - The Ramassay in Hotwells and it was delicious. Glad to see it on the menu in the Mint Room.

Rassasy - going there this weekend.

Forgot to add my thoughts on Root at Wapping Wharf from a couple of weeks back. It's excellent, really couldn't fault anything. Apart from maybe the homemade limoncello at the end which was "bracing", shall we say. There was no meat on the menu. Only a couple of fish/mussels dishes and the rest is all vegetarian. Lots of inventive dishes and all the flavours hit the spot. Only second time I've been but I'd put it right up there as one of the best I have been to in Bristol. 

Menus — ROOT BRISTOL 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Forgot to add my thoughts on Root at Wapping Wharf from a couple of weeks back. It's excellent, really couldn't fault anything. Apart from maybe the homemade limoncello at the end which was "bracing", shall we say. There was no meat on the menu. Only a couple of fish/mussels dishes and the rest is all vegetarian. Lots of inventive dishes and all the flavours hit the spot. Only second time I've been but I'd put it right up there as one of the best I have been to in Bristol. 

Menus — ROOT BRISTOL 

It’s excellent my favourite Indian that I’ve been to. Hope you booked - it get very busy over the weekend.

Try the duck -it’s amazing. They do a set meal as well and is excellent vfm. 

I’m not fan vegetarian restaurants, not that I’ve ever been to one. They just don’t appeal to me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Menus — ROOT BRISTOL 

Went there a while back and keep meaning to get back. Loved it. And really interesting, inventive, tasty vegetarian dishes.
If they brought back those pre-covid vegan pies at Ashton Gate I could be persuaded to give up meat! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Went there a while back and keep meaning to get back. Loved it. And really interesting, inventive, tasty vegetarian dishes.

Yeah, slightly embarrassed it was about 4 years since my last visit. It's seriously good. Shame a fair few will be put off by the lack of meat. If you like good seasonal food you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 06:13, nebristolred said:

Bit late but we went to The Ivy in Kensington and couldn't believe how bang average it was for the price. Definitely felt like you were paying more for the experience and the venue than the food - not to mention being treated p*ss poorly by staff.

I'm glad you said this. We ended up there after a Weller gig and thought they were being ****ts because we got there late.
Shit service, average food in a place I didn't want to go to. Not a big fan of the one in Clifton TBF.