IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

6 hours ago, spudski said:

I haven't eaten there yet Rob, even though I walk past it most days. Locals say it's decent grub at reasonable prices, and that the Sunday lunch is decent as well. Sort of middle of the road hearty food, well cooked at a reasonable price.

Although its advertised as 'Italian' it's sort of misleading. As it's not Authentic Italian. 

Yes it serves Pizza and pasta dishes, but you only have to look at the menu to realise it's not ' authentic'. 

The pizza menu is especially telling. Apart from the Margherita...not one other pizza is authentic Italian...and there is a Hawaiian ?? 

It did make me giggle...most just have a bunch of random different toppings and an Italian name attached to them. The Fiorentina is hilarious. 

It makes sense though, as numerous people have told me they are Albanian and not Italian. 

The same people have also opened the Greek takeaway at the bottom of the high st. 

I now fancy a pizza tonight, so may get a take away from there tonight, just to say I've tried. ☺️?

Either way...never heard a bad word said about the place, only good experiences.

I can highly recommend the Thai at the bottom of the high st. It's very good. Ran by the same Thai family for years.

Avoid the Tudor Raj Indian. It's shocking. 

Tbh...we've got some pretty poor standard eateries in and around Sodders. Shame really, as it has great potential for someone to come in and make a statement.

On a tangent...I had some authentic Italian food in Nailsworth recently. Giuseppe's...Calabrian chap. Also sold me from his kitchen a years worth of Nduja and some home made Cannoli nom nom ❤️? Can highly recommend. No fuss, non pretentious. Just real and authentic and really friendly, at decent prices.

Hahahaha i had the Fiorentina pizza last night!! It was nice enough but you’re absolutely right it’s deffo not Authentic!! However all enjoyed their meal and for the 8 of us (no starters or dessert) was about £150 or so with a drink each. 
I’ve been in the Tudor before, i also won’t return unless I’ve had about 10 pints and it’s about 11pm!!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Rob k said:

Hahahaha i had the Fiorentina pizza last night!! It was nice enough but you’re absolutely right it’s deffo not Authentic!! However all enjoyed their meal and for the 8 of us (no starters or dessert) was about £150 or so with a drink each. 
I’ve been in the Tudor before, i also won’t return unless I’ve had about 10 pints and it’s about 11pm!!

I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see you!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm not sure whether or not you are being serious, but, if have you have never seen it, it is an amusing few minutes.

All I’m getting here in Portishead is a black screen telling me the video isn’t available in this country! 

And I’ve just realised that you can probably see the video just as easily in my reply as you could when you posted it…doh!

Sorry! 

And I’ll take a look on my Milan based machine shortly!

Edited by italian dave

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

All I’m getting here in Portishead is a black screen telling me the video isn’t available in this country! 

And I’ve just realised that you can probably see the video just as easily in my reply as you could when you posted it…doh!

Sorry! 

And I’ll take a look on my Milan based machine shortly!

Try this one.

Went to the reopened pony and trap in chew magna the other night for a steak night. They seem to be doing it like a banqueting service at present rather than book your own table time 

Food was nice but not spectacular.

infuriatingly the knives were so blunt we couldn’t cut through the steaks (which were far from tough). Mentioned it to staff and apparently some new knives are on the way. 

Sure it will be back up to previous form in no time though, but perhaps a touch underwhelmed 

Edited by internetjef

On 04/02/2023 at 20:13, internetjef said:

Went to the reopened pony and trap in chew magna the other night for a steak night. They seem to be doing it like a banqueting service at present rather than book your own table time 

Food was nice but not spectacular.

infuriatingly the knives were so blunt we couldn’t cut through the steaks (which were far from tough). Mentioned it to staff and apparently some new knives are on the way. 

Sure it will be back up to previous form in no time though, but perhaps a touch underwhelmed 

They’ve started taking bookings now for what looks like normal book your own table. Through to April. 

2 hours ago, Ecko said:

Off to Spiny Lobster this weekend. Has anyone been? Recommend any dishes? 

I've had lobster there twice. First time was fresh in from Cornwall and it was incredible - the herb butter they use on it under the grill is amazing. 2nd time, the other week, it was a Canadian lobster, so would assume not quite so fresh - was very good, but not at previous lobster levels.

Mrs Turnip had skate and enjoyed and the halibut and monk fish looked amazing.

Can't go wrong there really - cracking little plaice.... ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ecko said:

Off to Spiny Lobster this weekend. Has anyone been? Recommend any dishes? 

Myself and Mrs Cider went very recently and it was superb ….can’t remember what she had but I had Turbot and it was delicious and very well cooked …enjoy! I look forward to your review.

We are off to Little French again next week as that was excellent when we last visited a month ago ?

• Like 3

Not in Bristol and not a restaurant so a bit left-field nevertheless supposedly does a brilliant ploughmans ??

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Not in Bristol and not a restaurant so a bit left-field nevertheless supposedly does a brilliant ploughmans ??

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02CBogafivML3cNouqRkdBr9apDK8Xa1KYgsvu5PDDwUjAn3UqFdC1gG8eS8AVsLM8l&id=132525063479352

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02CBogafivML3cNouqRkdBr9apDK8Xa1KYgsvu5PDDwUjAn3UqFdC1gG8eS8AVsLM8l&id=132525063479352

I can vouch that their ploughman's is superb,!

• Like 1

Revisited Old India on Saturday night with my Mrs. and won't be going back.

Chaos.

Waste of time booking as they let people in booking or not so had to wait 20 minutes to get a table. Parties of 4 going in with no booking in front of us.

Food was ok, but had a half bottle of wine left and already paid the bill when they asked if we'd mind leaving as they had people waiting for a table. I said we'll finish the wine thanks, he said they have outside tables or we can take the drinks downstairs. Bloody cheek.

Anyway we'd had enough of the noise, so we took our glasses downstairs - only to be told that it is an independent bar totally separate to the restaurant upstairs. But the fella let us finish our drinks at a table, saying he's told them not to do this before.

We won't be returning and they'll get a negative review from us on trip advisor.

Food is ok, nothing more, but it is chaotic with dreadful service.

• Sad 2

On 14/02/2023 at 14:19, bcfc01 said:

Revisited Old India on Saturday night with my Mrs. and won't be going back.

Chaos.

Waste of time booking as they let people in booking or not so had to wait 20 minutes to get a table. Parties of 4 going in with no booking in front of us.

Food was ok, but had a half bottle of wine left and already paid the bill when they asked if we'd mind leaving as they had people waiting for a table. I said we'll finish the wine thanks, he said they have outside tables or we can take the drinks downstairs. Bloody cheek.

Anyway we'd had enough of the noise, so we took our glasses downstairs - only to be told that it is an independent bar totally separate to the restaurant upstairs. But the fella let us finish our drinks at a table, saying he's told them not to do this before.

We won't be returning and they'll get a negative review from us on trip advisor.

Food is ok, nothing more, but it is chaotic with dreadful service.

Check out Haveli the Yard.

0117 930 0298
https://goo.gl/maps/Nn6wZ4zhY9j5Skhz7

I loved it in there. Great food, drinks selection (including those on tap) and service.

Located on Upper Maudlin St opposite the BRI.

Free parking nearby too on Lower Park Row.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Good to see this recently-opened family-run restaurant in Bedminster included in a top food guide. Michelin took a look at COR in North Street and liked what it saw.