IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

• Admin
On 15/09/2022 at 12:17, CyderInACan said:

Cannot understate how much of a loss this is to BS3. Really bad news. 

Not been for quite a few years since I moved out of BS3, but was a regular when I did live there, shame to see it going, might have to try and get in for a nostalgic meal.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 19:33, Maltshoveller said:

A group of 10 are planning another steak night in good old Bristol

Done Pasture last month

Mugshot wouldnt let us book a group that size!!!!

so  where should we book?

Cheers

But late, but Ashville Steakhouse is a must try. Not quite Pasture, but deffo up there.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 11:42, formerly known as ivan said:

Just come across this thread. I’m sure Pasture has been mentioned. My favourite steak place. Lucky if you can get a booking at a decent time at any point in the near future.

For Italian, Don Gionvannis opposite temple meads is my go to place. Best lasagna I’ve ever had accompanied by some amazing dauphinois potatoes.

Went to Milk Bun in Clifton last week for a burger. Whilst the burger was nice, it cost £17 alone (yes that was with a double pattie). Mac n cheese was ok. Chicken strips were very nice! But having cost the best part of £60 for two burgers and two sides I won’t be going back anytime soon.

Don Giovanni’s is probably the most understated restaurant in central Bristol; a great location, but not at the same time (!) as it’s not much to look at from the outside. And from the inside, window views are of traffic by Temple Meads.

But they’re better than San Carlo in my opinion, while much cheaper.

I think they’re still on Tastecard if anyone else has one of those still?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Don Giovanni’s is probably the most understated restaurant in central Bristol; a great location, but not at the same time (!) as it’s not much to look at from the outside. And from the inside, window views are of traffic by Temple Meads.

But they’re better than San Carlo in my opinion, while much cheaper.

I think they’re still on Tastecard if anyone else has one of those still?!

Completely agree mate. Even during lockdown when they were operating a takeaway only it was worth the drive from Whitchurch to Temple Meads on a few occasions.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Here’s a boring fact for you…

Before my daughter was born 6 years ago as a present from work they got me and my partner a gift voucher for don gionvanni’s but it was literally just writing on a piece of paper as they had never been asked for vouchers before. When we used the voucher months later they had signs around the restaurant saying gift vouchers available on request… I like to claim that was my doing!

• Haha 2

Not seen it on the thread (apologies if it is) but just down from the Cosy in Corn Street (towards the centre) on the corner left hand side is a "new" chain type Italian - went there a few weeks ago and the food was superb and pretty good value - just cannot remember the name for the life of me :laugh:

1 hour ago, Markman said:

Not seen it on the thread (apologies if it is) but just down from the Cosy in Corn Street (towards the centre) on the corner left hand side is a "new" chain type Italian - went there a few weeks ago and the food was superb and pretty good value - just cannot remember the name for the life of me :laugh:

San Carlo? 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 08:50, Pickle Rick said:

But late, but Ashville Steakhouse is a must try. Not quite Pasture, but deffo up there.

I've not had a decent steak at Pasture yet. Been three times and each time disappointed.

The Ashville and The Ox on the other hand have all been fantastic. Cooked to perfection and always quality meat.

It seems both of those places source the meat from Buxton Butchers of Winterbourne. Which again...everyone I know who uses them recommends. 

Howells in Chipping Sodbury is also a very good Butchers.

On 04/10/2022 at 12:46, spudski said:

I've not had a decent steak at Pasture yet. Been three times and each time disappointed.

The Ashville and The Ox on the other hand have all been fantastic. Cooked to perfection and always quality meat.

It seems both of those places source the meat from Buxton Butchers of Winterbourne. Which again...everyone I know who uses them recommends. 

Howells in Chipping Sodbury is also a very good Butchers.

Very surprised about Pasture!

If it’s not too far, Cam Butchers are the best I’ve used.

Was disappointed with Howells as the sausages split every time I cooked them!

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

Very surprised about Pasture!

If it’s not too far, Cam Butchers are the best I’ve used.

Was disappointed with Howells as the sausages split every time I cooked them!

Yes I was expecting Pasture to be better, especially as others had said it was good. I've been spoilt with Steaks over the years, so I guess I've got high standards 

Did you ***** the sausages first? If it's natural casing, they generally split.

A high percentage of sausages these days have awful plastic or plant based casings that don't split.

Everything split back in the days when everything was natural.

Lower heat and pricking the casing is the secret.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Yes I was expecting Pasture to be better, especially as others had said it was good. I've been spoilt with Steaks over the years, so I guess I've got high standards 

A high percentage of sausages these days have awful plastic or plant based casings that don't split.

It took a second or two to work out what expletive you were suggesting they did to the sausages. 

• Haha 3

Been to pasture 3 times over the last couple of years and been really impressed each time .

Both steaks and sides always really good 

Ox really good too, although I feel sometimes they oversalt the chips 

Ashville does a good steak too but doesn’t have the feel of a nice night out like the other two which are a bit flasher 

have resisted that steak on stone place (mugshot) as think it’s a bit of cheek to have to pay top end restaurant prices then cook it yourself ha. Too tight that’s my problem 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, internetjef said:

have resisted that steak on stone place (mugshot) as think it’s a bit of cheek to have to pay top end restaurant prices then cook it yourself ha. Too tight that’s my problem 

Ironically Mugshot is probably the best of the lot! ….been to all of them and although very good Mugshot is my favourite. The hot stone thing is a choice , you can ask for it to be cooked by the chef . 

3 hours ago, internetjef said:

Ah didn’t realise this , thank you. Will now try soon 

I reviewed Mugshot earlier in this thread and overall wasn't massively impressed, apart from the cocktails! Next time I'd definitely get them to cook my steak though, instead of the hot stone gimmick. But a couple of other things weren't totally up to scratch either. It wasn't good enough to knock Pasture off its well-deserved throne.

Went Pizza Bianchi last night on the Triangle. From the guys that run Pasta Loco and Bianchis. A solid 8/10. Great wine, pizzas and tunes. 

Also went Bar 44 in Clifton in July and have to admit I was really surprised at how good it was. Some of the dishes were really exceptional and again the ? were spot on! Excellent Spanish tapas to rival my city favourite Gambas. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 21:00, ralphindevon said:

It took a second or two to work out what expletive you were suggesting they did to the sausages. 

I have only just read it, but still have no idea.

Perhaps illogically, I assumed that the ***** word was Source, but you appear to have confirmed it was an expletive - not only that, but Source appears to get through the censors.

Can you perhaps give me the consonants, or even the initial letter?

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have only just read it, but still have no idea.

Perhaps illogically, I assumed that the ***** word was Source, but you appear to have confirmed it was an expletive - not only that, but Source appears to get through the censors.

Can you perhaps give me the consonants, or even the initial letter?

What do you do to a sausage with a fork to allow juices out, begins with P ends in K with ric in the middle 

• Thanks 1

On 06/10/2022 at 17:44, spudski said:

I only probe the sausages when cooking for correct temperature!

Honestly, you have to make an order at Cam Butchers if you like butcher produce.

Bring a cool box and bulk buy; perhaps go smaller first visit so you can sample some things, but I can hear guarantee they’ll be top notch ??

• Thanks 1

One of Bristol's best Vegan restaurants to close 

https://www.bristol247.com/food-and-drink/news-food-and-drink/vegan-junk-food-restaurant-to-close/

VEGAN ‘JUNK FOOD’ RESTAURANT TO CLOSE

By MIA VINES BOOTH, Wednesday Oct 5, 2022

A restaurant known for its “dirty vegan junk food” has closed its doors.

Seitan’s Corner is closing after receiving an offer to buy the lease for the building, the Zetland Road restaurant announced on social media on Wednesday morning.

“Unfortunately after careful consideration we have made the hard decision to close the business,” the restaurant said in the announcement.

Yo“We were looking to refurbish but with the current climate and an offer to buy our lease we took the difficult decision to move on.”

Seitan’s Corner, which sits just off Gloucester Road, originally opened in December 2020, with a ‘hellish’ themed menu, including items such as the ‘Beezlebub Burger’ and ‘Hell Freezes Over’.

The restaurant’s announcement highlighted the difficulties facing all businesses despite good reviews: “Ironically I had a notification today that we are in the top 10 per cent restaurants on TripAdvisor worldwide?!

“We leave with pretty much five stars on every review site and that level of support and love will stay with us forever.”

In an interview with Bristol Live when it first opened, owner Seb Marvani acknowledged the difficulties of opening a new restaurant during Covid restrictions at the time: “Tier 3 has made opening a new restaurant a little tricky”.

The news comes after popular restaurants Casamia and the Pony Bistro also announced closures in May and August this year.