IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

One of Bristol's best Vegan restaurants to close 

https://www.bristol247.com/food-and-drink/news-food-and-drink/vegan-junk-food-restaurant-to-close/

VEGAN ‘JUNK FOOD’ RESTAURANT TO CLOSE

By MIA VINES BOOTH, Wednesday Oct 5, 2022

A restaurant known for its “dirty vegan junk food” has closed its doors.

Seitan’s Corner is closing after receiving an offer to buy the lease for the building, the Zetland Road restaurant announced on social media on Wednesday morning.

“Unfortunately after careful consideration we have made the hard decision to close the business,” the restaurant said in the announcement.

Yo“We were looking to refurbish but with the current climate and an offer to buy our lease we took the difficult decision to move on.”

Seitan’s Corner, which sits just off Gloucester Road, originally opened in December 2020, with a ‘hellish’ themed menu, including items such as the ‘Beezlebub Burger’ and ‘Hell Freezes Over’.

The restaurant’s announcement highlighted the difficulties facing all businesses despite good reviews: “Ironically I had a notification today that we are in the top 10 per cent restaurants on TripAdvisor worldwide?!

“We leave with pretty much five stars on every review site and that level of support and love will stay with us forever.”

In an interview with Bristol Live when it first opened, owner Seb Marvani acknowledged the difficulties of opening a new restaurant during Covid restrictions at the time: “Tier 3 has made opening a new restaurant a little tricky”.

The news comes after popular restaurants Casamia and the Pony Bistro also announced closures in May and August this year.

I have never eaten in this restaurant and, frankly, had never even heard of it prior to this article.

I was intrigued, however, by the restaurant's quote relating to its ranking on Trip Advisor and Bristol Live's own article.

The restaurant's own quote says:

"Ironically I had a notification today that we are in the top 10 per cent restaurants on TripAdvisor worldwide?!", which is commendable, outstanding even (if true).

Bristol Live, however, goes on to add that the 'top-rated vegan Bristol restaurant':

"ranks at #193 of 1,162 restaurants in Bristol".

Now, I am neither a statastician nor even an expert on Trip Advisor, but can anybody explain to me how a restaurant that does not even rank in the top 10% of restaurants in Bristol - it falls comfortably within the top 20 % (16.60%, to be precise), but not in the top 10% - ranks in the top ten per cent Trip Advisor reviews worldwide? 

• Like 1

Re: steaks, after watching this programme a couple of years back, https://www.completefrance.com/food-and-drink/remarkable-places-to-eat-little-french-8307380/ we went to Little French for our anniversary and that was THE best steak and chips I've ever had hands done. The service was great, food amazing, but it's small so had to book 5 months in advance!

On 07/10/2022 at 20:42, Kid in the Riot said:

I reviewed Mugshot earlier in this thread and overall wasn't massively impressed, apart from the cocktails! Next time I'd definitely get them to cook my steak though, instead of the hot stone gimmick. But a couple of other things weren't totally up to scratch either. It wasn't good enough to knock Pasture off its well-deserved throne.

Went Pizza Bianchi last night on the Triangle. From the guys that run Pasta Loco and Bianchis. A solid 8/10. Great wine, pizzas and tunes. 

Also went Bar 44 in Clifton in July and have to admit I was really surprised at how good it was. Some of the dishes were really exceptional and again the ? were spot on! Excellent Spanish tapas to rival my city favourite Gambas. 

Agreed re: Mugshot, I thought it was style over substance really.  In park with Steak of the Art which I also thought was bang average.

My fave restaurant is Paco, get the taster menu, amazing, albeit very pricey!  It's a special event restaurant not a nipping out for some tea place!

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 18:33, Jerseybean said:

I really don’t get the hype with Urban Tandoor. Been a couple times now and hasn’t hit the spot.

A lot of the curries look the same and the spices aren’t great. You could get a Bhuna or a Patia and you’d probably not notice which one is which! Also, the medium dishes are spicy when they shouldn’t be, such as a Rogan Josh.

Shadin not given a mention?! ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

I do rate numbers 3, 4 & 6 on the list.

Golden Moments at 507 in Saltford deserves and shout while on the topic of Indian restaurants.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 19:16, Slippin cider said:

Not been but enjoy , and do report back ?

Yeah, was very very good tbf. Definitely worthy of the star. Some seriously good dishes. If you like red meat especially, though there were some excellent veggie and seafood too. I would upload some pics but they'll all 4mb which is too big in size it seems. @TomF?

On 19/11/2022 at 22:21, Club and Country said:

Anyone been to Cor on north street yet? 

Not yet. But I know the Aussie Chef Mark, who was head chef at Gambas. Very good chef, so I'm sure it's excellent. Will visit soon, menu looks great. Edit: forgot to say, a mate went and confirmed it was excellent. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

I know I'm very late but I don't suppose anyone can recommend anywhere for Christmas Dinner around the City centre that is reasonably priced?  

We had ours last year at Browns, which was good food, but - as you might expect - north of £30 per head.

This year, we're skipping the food and going on a pub crawl. I've thrown £200 in the whip to start us off.  Poor old teetotal staff member got outvoted. :laugh:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We had ours last year at Browns, which was good food, but - as you might expect - north of £30 per head.

This year, we're skipping the food and going on a pub crawl. I've thrown £200 in the whip to start us off.  Poor old teetotal staff member got outvoted. :laugh:

I'm leaning towards a Pub crawl but it's convincing the other half! I've booked us in for Premier hospitality on Boxing Day so I'm hoping that will suffice ?

We're traveling down from Lincolnshire for the Christmas period so it's going to be something a little different!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

I know I'm very late but I don't suppose anyone can recommend anywhere for Christmas Dinner around the City centre that is reasonably priced?  

Not sure if you mean on Xmas day itself but I had a three course Xmas dinner at The Kenny on Sunday and it was excellent: Christmas & NYE — The Kenny (thekensingtonarms.co.uk) 

• Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 22:56, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, was very very good tbf. Definitely worthy of the star. Some seriously good dishes. If you like red meat especially, though there were some excellent veggie and seafood too. I would upload some pics but they'll all 4mb which is too big in size it seems. @TomF?

Not yet. But I know the Aussie Chef Mark, who was head chef at Gambas. Very good chef, so I'm sure it's excellent. Will visit soon, menu looks great. Edit: forgot to say, a mate went and confirmed it was excellent. 

I was booked in to Paco tapas on Sunday but we got a call to say they are not opening on Sundays anymore - booked in to bar 44 in Clifton now instead.

Im a bit gutted as was looking forward to it 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I was booked in to Paco tapas on Sunday but we got a call to say they are not opening on Sundays anymore - booked in to bar 44 in Clifton now instead.

Im a bit gutted as was looking forward to it 

Bit surprised by that as it was packed on Fri evening. Bar 44 is really good too so sure you'll enjoy that. The gambas are excellent, as are the cocktails.