IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Went here the other day and was pretty disappointed.

a series of small gripes rather than one shocker.

granted we went in with high expectations , off the back of previous excellent experiences at pacos / Casa Mia (westbury - years back), and other bits the chef has been involved in.

service wasn’t brilliant (sometimes left waiting for orders for a while), had chefs menu in end but they wouldn’t tell us what was on it before ordering which was a bit annoying (pretty sure they knew and could have told us).
 Most of courses were nice but  we didn’t love many of  them.

was a nice meal but we didn’t feel it justified the high cost. 

also I asked for a beer on arrival before switching on to the wine. There was none on menu but they said they had a couple of choices off menu. Ordered one of them which was a Peroni variant of some kind. When the bill came … £13!!!  (For a 500ml bottle circa 5-6% alc). 

some of the wine was quite reasonably priced, but I feel nobody should ever be served a £13 beer without being warned of its cost ha 

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

granted we went in with high expectations , off the back of previous excellent experiences at pacos / Casa Mia (westbury - years back), and other bits the chef has been involved in.

service wasn’t brilliant (sometimes left waiting for orders for a while), had chefs menu in end but they wouldn’t tell us what was on it before ordering which was a bit annoying (pretty sure they knew and could have told us).

also I asked for a beer on arrival before switching on to the wine. There was none on menu but they said they had a couple of choices off menu. Ordered one of them which was a Peroni variant of some kind. When the bill came … £13!!!  (For a 500ml bottle circa 5-6% alc). 

some of the wine was quite reasonably priced, but I feel nobody should ever be served a £13 beer without being warned of its cost ha 

Sadly doesn't surprise me. Looking at the menu, I wasn't going to rush down there anyway. Was it a case of style over substance like Paco do you think? It was £13 for a CAN of local beer at the previous incarnation of Casamia. Just a piss take really, nothing can justify that kind of mark-up. 

Off to Root tomorrow evening. Last went probably 4 years ago and thought it was excellent, so hoping the standard is still as high. 

2 hours ago, internetjef said:

If I won the lottery I still wouldn't pay those prices.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sadly doesn't surprise me. Looking at the menu, I wasn't going to rush down there anyway. Was it a case of style over substance like Paco do you think? It was £13 for a CAN of local beer at the previous incarnation of Casamia. Just a piss take really, nothing can justify that kind of mark-up. 

Off to Root tomorrow evening. Last went probably 4 years ago and thought it was excellent, so hoping the standard is still as high. 

Looking at the menu, the whole thing is a piss take. 

14 hours ago, internetjef said:

had chefs menu in end but they wouldn’t tell us what was on it before ordering which was a bit annoying

That’s ridiculous. Sounds like they’ve disappeared up their own backsides. Shame as when we went for the Tasting Menu w. Wine Flight, sat at the Chef’s Table, a few years ago, everything was top drawer. 

• Like 1

Yeah was a bit frustrating.

I am a bit fussier than my wife so whereas she was happy to go chefs table without knowledge , I was hoping to get a clearer steer on which of the (many different) main menu dishes were included , before committing to the £80pp price. 

plus there was plenty of dishes on main menu we could have pieced together ourselves ala carte for a similar value if it might have been more to our / my preference 

I reckon we were just a bit unlucky with the service on the night maybe , and sure it will come good.

Of the few times we had been to pacos and the old Casa Mia the service and attentiveness has always been brilliant. Even if you were paying a bit of a premium and it might need to be saved for special occasions , at least it did feel pretty special. 

im sure it will come good , and it definitely doesn’t look as pricy now as the menus they were doing prior to closing Casa Mia at the general . The menu setup is a bit closer to pacos in style which I liked , just a bit annoyed with the lack of transaparency regarding chefs menu options 

Plus don’t get me started on the £13 beer again ha, that one did seem pretty unforgivable 

Award winning burgers at Fattso at the Stag and Hounds, Old Market, open Wednesday to Friday (5pm-9pm), Saturday (12pm-9pm) and Sunday (12pm-8pm).

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/national-burger-awards-2023-names-8203192?fbclid=IwAR2Cs3s3KsIYNqzTV5-QXwErWYWx1xXmSH4sO2tD8ioo5cPNhYWZIMUnNz4

5 hours ago, internetjef said:

Yeah was a bit frustrating.

I am a bit fussier than my wife so whereas she was happy to go chefs table without knowledge , I was hoping to get a clearer steer on which of the (many different) main menu dishes were included , before committing to the £80pp price. 

plus there was plenty of dishes on main menu we could have pieced together ourselves ala carte for a similar value if it might have been more to our / my preference 

I reckon we were just a bit unlucky with the service on the night maybe , and sure it will come good.

Of the few times we had been to pacos and the old Casa Mia the service and attentiveness has always been brilliant. Even if you were paying a bit of a premium and it might need to be saved for special occasions , at least it did feel pretty special. 

im sure it will come good , and it definitely doesn’t look as pricy now as the menus they were doing prior to closing Casa Mia at the general . The menu setup is a bit closer to pacos in style which I liked , just a bit annoyed with the lack of transaparency regarding chefs menu options 

Plus don’t get me started on the £13 beer again ha, that one did seem pretty unforgivable 

Really interested to know...without trying to sound like a ****.

Looking at the menu...what did you glean from eating at the Chefs table?

It's pretty much straight forward, basic ' Italian style' food. 

Apart from presenting it ' stylishly '...it's common food eaten commonly. 

Like I said...not being funny...but I don't see anything in the menu that you wouldn't experience at any regular ' Italian' restaurant. 

Just intrigued why anyone would pay or want to experience a chef's table with such a basic menu. 

19 hours ago, spudski said:

Really interested to know...without trying to sound like a ****.

Looking at the menu...what did you glean from eating at the Chefs table?

It's pretty much straight forward, basic ' Italian style' food. 

Apart from presenting it ' stylishly '...it's common food eaten commonly. 

Like I said...not being funny...but I don't see anything in the menu that you wouldn't experience at any regular ' Italian' restaurant. 

Just intrigued why anyone would pay or want to experience a chef's table with such a basic menu. 

Sorry I have mixed up the terms.

chefs menu , was basically letting the chef pick a selection of dishes off the menu. Chefs picks rather than you pick yourself

its not a chefs table thing where you sit there and watch them cook it / get a walk through 

it’s just a menu choice, or you can pick your own selection ala carte instead 

4 minutes ago, internetjef said:

chefs menu , was basically letting the chef pick a selection of dishes off the menu. Chefs picks rather than you pick yourself

its not a chefs table thing where you sit there and watch them cook it / get a walk through 

Ah right oh...no worries 

3 hours ago, internetjef said:

May be wrong but "Chefs menu" sounds a bit like "Today's Specials",also known as ,"We have got lots of this we need to shift before it goes off".

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

May be wrong but "Chefs menu" sounds a bit like "Today's Specials",also known as ,"We have got lots of this we need to shift before it goes off".

They pitch it as a selection of our signature/best dishes from across the money 

cynic in me suggests you may be correct though ha 

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

' without pretentiousness?'

jeeeeeez...you'd think we would have seen through this crap now.

Seriously, has anyone ever rocked up to a joint serving that type of food, presented like that, and thought it was worth it?

It's complete pretentiousness...and naming the ***** Jay Rayner in the article underlines my view. He's so out of touch. 

No offence JB...but this type of food and presentation is so past it.

• Haha 1

Went to Bianchis last Sunday, has the be some of the friendliest, most helpful staff ever. 
Best potatoes too, I find that poor or even average potatoes can ruin a Sunday roast , veg was top class too. If I was trying to find something to moan about, the meat was a little fatty but very tasty. 
Not the cheapest roast out there, but worth a visit.

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Hilarious you think your opinion is up there with a guy that is paid to judge restaurant quality. ? 

Perhaps you should read this before posting such crap.

It's hilarious that you actually think anyone cares what you think. 

It's quiet a skill being so vociferous when you're obviously so dumb. ???? *****.

He can write, and has an opinion. Got lucky. Has no professional knowledge on food. He says so himself. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/jay-rayner-how-to-become-a-food-critic-2016-4

• Hmmm 1

On 08/03/2023 at 08:35, Jerseybean said:

Just a short stroll away for us, it's had several different iterations as a restaurant previously, I think one was called Howards. This one has probably been going for 18/24 months or so and I am definitely looking forward to going when a suitable occasion presents itself. 

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Going on Friday eve to the Indian restaurant in Clifton called the Mint. None of us have been there before. It comes with an excellent reputation which is why we’re going .

Has anybody know of it? An opinion would be appreciated.

The Mint Room? Is absolutely brilliant. Enjoy. Would recommend the duck if that’s your thing ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

The Mint Room? Is absolutely brilliant. Enjoy. Would recommend the duck if that’s your thing ??

I’ve eaten in possibly hundreds of Indian restaurants over many decades and have only seen duck on the menu in one - The Ramassay in Hotwells and it was delicious. Glad to see it on the menu in the Mint Room.

I’ll definitely go for it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Going on Friday eve to the Indian restaurant in Clifton called the Mint. None of us have been there before. It comes with an excellent reputation which is why we’re going .

Has anybody know of it? An opinion would be appreciated.

Yes, went before Xmas. Service v slow but it was packed. If there's a few of you, I'd recommend the sharing platters to start.

14 hours ago, spudski said:

He can write, and has an opinion. Got lucky. Has no professional knowledge on food. He says so himself. 

I don't think not being a pro chef prevents one from being a great food critic. Rayner is respected by many in the industry. He's also well known for his dry wit, so not sure that letter is supposed to be taken entirely seriously. 

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, went before Xmas. Service v slow but it was packed. If there's a few of you, I'd recommend the sharing platters to start.

There’ll be three of us and we’re booked in early evening 6:30pm so hopefully it won’t be packed. We’ll probably turn up a little early.

Having a beer or two beforehand so we’re bussing in and Uber back, 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think not being a pro chef prevents one from being a great food critic. Rayner is respected by many in the industry. He's also well known for his dry wit, so not sure that letter is supposed to be taken entirely seriously. 

Food critique is like Art and Music. What's good for one person, is awful for another. 

Read up about how he became a food writer. Not just the one I posted.

He's established himself now, over a period of time. Because he is a good writer, he admits that himself. Not because of knowledge of food. He writes and gets paid to do it.

However...his critique is no more important than anyone else, who is a keen foodie, and visits many restaurants, and knows about ingredients, cooking styles, price points, etc. The only difference being they aren't paid to do it, and don't get the platform. 

I'd rather listen to keen foodies on here (like yourself), or local food blogs, who know the local area, and how it ticks, than him.

Food critiques in general are bazaar. The amount of coverage they get, and influence can ruin or establish a business. Just because of one person's opinion. 

When he started out, he had no more knowledge of food, restaurants, business, than anyone else that was just keen on eating out. 

I've read his opinions, and often disagree with them. Obviously others like his opinions. Food and food experience is subjective. 

I'm a keen foodie, visit many different types of establishments, both here and abroad. 

I've also cooked professionally. Not restaurants, but in high end ski chalets in France. Where expectations were high. Had to do courses etc. 

I've also recently done business plans and menu plans for local establishments to myself. 

So it's not like I have no idea at all on the subject. 

It's all just opinions. His is no more important than yours imo. 

• Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, spudski said:

Perhaps you should read this before posting such crap.

It's hilarious that you actually think anyone cares what you think. 

It's quiet a skill being so vociferous when you're obviously so dumb. ???? *****.

Jesus - touchy or what.

I was pointing our Jay Rayner is a pretty famous food critic now. I have no idea why you would be so dismissive of an opinion from an expert. I like reading his reviews, but then again i am obviously dumb. ?

9 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Jesus - touchy or what.

I was pointing our Jay Rayner is a pretty famous food critic now. I have no idea why you would be so dismissive of an opinion from an expert. I like reading his reviews, but then again i am obviously dumb. ?

Nah...it's because you're a troll.

Go back to doing what you do best.

Jizzing over posters of Tony Blair.

I'm really not interested in your opinion.

I'd rather discuss with others who I respect. 

I don't like you, or respect your opinion. Just avoid. 

• Haha 1