IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

4 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

What is peoples opinion on San Carlo? I wanted to go back in January but we ran out of time - It's all my other half as spoke about since we arranged to come for Christmas and it looks great but was wondering if you lot had any feedback?

Ridiculously overpriced. Been there loads with work, but I wouldn't go back again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Oh, that’s not good, I’m taking a customer to the Manchester restaurant next week ??

I used to go to the Manchester San Carlo Rob. Been a while, but it was always rammed, and used more like a cocktail bar. Very noisy (or buzzing, depending on your view).

Lots of shouty orange girls, usually off their tits on overpriced prosecco.

Day time was quieter and food ok.

At night it was hit or miss.

I found food was better if in a couple. The bigger the party...the worse it became.

On a different tangent...can anyone recommend a decent traditional ' stand up' tapas bar...rather than a sit down version. I just find the concept of sitting down to eat tapas and be charged a ridiculous amount for it, kind of misses the point. 

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

On a different tangent...can anyone recommend a decent traditional ' stand up' tapas bar...rather than a sit down version. I just find the concept of sitting down to eat tapas and be charged a ridiculous amount for it, kind of misses the point. 

Could be wrong, but I don't think there's anywhere in Bristol that does that. In Gambas you can sit at the counter overlooking the chefs kitchen and eat tapas which is as close to a traditional experience as you'll get. You can do the same at Cantina a few containers down, but with tacos and burritos, which is a very Mexico City style experience. 

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Could be wrong, but I don't think there's anywhere in Bristol that does that. In Gambas you can sit at the counter overlooking the chefs kitchen and eat tapas which is as close to a traditional experience as you'll get. You can do the same at Cantina a few containers down, but with tacos and burritos, which is a very Mexico City style experience. 

That's been my experience too kid. I was hoping someone might know of something ' traditional' locally. Tbh...I don't know of one nationally. 

My gut instinct, is that it's down to UK ' Health and Safety laws. As in what's allowed in a bar type environment, and how long it's allowed to be ' on show' and not chilled or in the kitchen.

Shame really. I love a traditional Spanish tapas or Italian cichetti bar... Where you can stroll in, order a glass of vino, and eat a few items at the bar, whilst chatting with friends. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's been my experience too kid. I was hoping someone might know of something ' traditional' locally. Tbh...I don't know of one nationally. 

My gut instinct, is that it's down to UK ' Health and Safety laws. As in what's allowed in a bar type environment, and how long it's allowed to be ' on show' and not chilled or in the kitchen.

Shame really. I love a traditional Spanish tapas or Italian cichetti bar... Where you can stroll in, order a glass of vino, and eat a few items at the bar, whilst chatting with friends. 

If you're in London, try Jose's* just south of Tower Bridge. The Spanish owner/chef will greet you, it's just like wandering into a bar in Seville, rather than the sort of Spanish-themed restaurant most UK tapas places are.

After the tapas, walk to the other side of Guy's for a pint with the friendly medical students at The George then back to wherever from Borough tube. 

* It was open last year, but do check. 

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you're in London, try Jose's* just south of Tower Bridge. The Spanish owner/chef will greet you, it's just like wandering into a bar in Seville, rather than the sort of Spanish-themed restaurant most UK tapas places are.

After the tapas, walk to the other side of Guy's for a pint with the friendly medical students at The George then back to wherever from Borough tube. 

* It was open last year, but do check. 

Cheers RR... appreciate the reply.

I very rarely get into London these days. But if I do, I'll check it out. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

It is mate...sadly not done here in the UK.

We do pubs so we'll... however a proper traditional tapas or cichetti bar would be so welcome. As you say...'perfection'.

It would be ace but having been to the real deal in Spain you'd never really recreate the beauty of it, would you? 

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It would be ace but having been to the real deal in Spain you'd never really recreate the beauty of it, would you? 

Probably not...however we have some really good produce in this country that is suitable for ' stand up' tapas/cichetti. 

Seeing it plated up beautifully at the likes of Paco Tapas, sat down and charged accordingly, just makes no sense to me...when the same beautiful products could be eaten stood up at the bar at a fraction of the price. 

The lunchtime and after-work hours would do a roaring trade imo.

Why buy a sandwich, crisps, drink for lunch, when you could stroll in with your work colleagues/ friends and have a drink a few tapas stood up at the bar.

You can tell I'm passionate about it.

During the summer I made a smorgasbord of traditional cichetti for a local bar, to convince the owner it would work, especially with the passing walking trade. 

They often turn customers away who want food. All they offer is a sandwich or cake. It's a no brainer...and doesn't need a trained chef. Plus very little waste, and often long life on products.

Hopefully she'll see the light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I think it's more that it is just not in our culture. If you're after the type of tapas you find displayed at the counter then this is a really good place in Soho: Pix Pintxos :: Vibrant tapas bars in Central London (pix-bar.com) 

And there's also the famous Sabor off Regent St to: Counter - Sabor (saborrestaurants.co.uk)   Never been but supposed to be excellent. You can just walk-in and grab a seat at the counter.

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spudski said:

I suppose it is all down to personal preferences.

A few years ago, my wife and I spent a week or so in Andalusia, travelling around a bit before arriving in Sevilla, where our daughter was studying.

We visited various tapas bars/restaurants in Malaga, always seated at a table, and enjoyed everything.

Driving up to Granada, we tried a highly recommended tapas bar, where, as advised, we reserved a couple of stools at the bar.

Whilst the tapas themselves were excellent, we both found the experience slightly uncomfortable, constantly having to shift to let people through, and people brushing against us if they couldn’t get past quickly enough.

When we arrived in Sevilla, it was wonderful.

OK, perhaps Sevilla is a relatively small and sophisticated town and, of course, our daughter knew where to take us (and spoke the language!), but our dining (tapas) experiences were absolutely fantastic, culminating in the most wonderful restaurant, with fantastic decor and smooth, friendly and efficient service.

Needless to say, prices were very reasonable, and we sat down and ate comfortably and casually, but sumptuously, throughout the evening, with no bustling at the bar and, one of my bugbears in the UK, nobody hassling us to hurry up, as we were only able to have the table for two hours maximum - we stayed there until well past midnight, and I would have happily stayed until dawn, such was the experience.

Somehow, I don’t think eating at the bar would have provided the same relaxed and enjoyable experience.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suppose it is all down to personal preferences.

A few years ago, my wife and I spent a week or so in Andalusia, travelling around a bit before arriving in Sevilla, where our daughter was studying.

We visited various tapas bars/restaurants in Malaga, always seated at a table, and enjoyed everything.

Driving up to Granada, we tried a highly recommended tapas bar, where, as advised, we reserved a couple of stools at the bar.

Whilst the tapas themselves were excellent, we both found the experience slightly uncomfortable, constantly having to shift to let people through, and people brushing against us if they couldn’t get past quickly enough.

When we arrived in Sevilla, it was wonderful.

OK, perhaps Sevilla is a relatively small and sophisticated town and, of course, our daughter knew where to take us (and spoke the language!), but our dining (tapas) experiences were absolutely fantastic, culminating in the most wonderful restaurant, with fantastic decor and smooth, friendly and efficient service.

Needless to say, prices were very reasonable, and we sat down and ate comfortably and casually, but sumptuously, throughout the evening, with no bustling at the bar and, one of my bugbears in the UK, nobody hassling us to hurry up, as we were only able to have the table for two hours maximum - we stayed there until well past midnight, and I would have happily stayed until dawn, such was the experience.

Somehow, I don’t think eating at the bar would have provided the same relaxed and enjoyable experience.

I agree...if you are with your loved one and want to relax and just enjoy the food and stay a while...sitting away from the bar is probably more ideal.

However...on the move, with friends/ colleagues or aperitivo hour...the experience is more like being at the pub. Stood up chatting to all, but instead of just drinking, you have food as well. ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...if you are with your loved one and want to relax and just enjoy the food and stay a while...sitting away from the bar is probably more ideal.

However...on the move, with friends/ colleagues or aperitivo hour...the experience is more like being at the pub. Stood up chatting to all, but instead of just drinking, you have food as well. ?

Actually, I was with my wife ?.

Only joking Darling ?.

Seriously, though. I agree.

I remember when I was working in Spain many years ago, it was always a pleasure to have an aperitovo or dos, nibbling at a few tapas, standing at the bar and chatting.

I suppose it is a bit like a quick pint or two before football; it was always more enjoyable standing up at or near the bar, laughing, joking and having a little sing song. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Actually, I was with my wife ?.

Only joking Darling ?.

Seriously, though. I agree.

I remember when I was working in Spain many years ago, it was always a pleasure to have an aperitovo or dos, nibbling at a few tapas, standing at the bar and chatting.

I suppose it is a bit like a quick pint or two before football; it was always more enjoyable standing up at or near the bar, laughing, joking and having a little sing song. 

For me, it's the one thing that sets us apart from many other countries.

I love a good pub.

I also love a good tapas/ cichetti bar.

I've often pondered whether if we had had the ' aperitivo' culture, instead of just the drinking culture, whether we'd be less of a drunken fighting nation.

I guess we'll never know.

However...I love how all ages come together, respect one another, eat, drink and be merry, and all have a great time. 

Instead, it's so often, get pissed, snort some coke, fight, hassle some girls, eat a kebab, be sick, then social media your experience, saying how great it was. ???

It's the one side of the UK I hate.

Sadly it's becoming more common...even out in the sticks.

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Off to Pasture tmrw night for the pre-fixe festive menu. Be interesting to see how it stacks up against the a la carte. 

I know someone that did their other menu (radius is it?) the other week and he said it was unreal, and he was very apprehensive as is more then happy just having the normal pasture experience 

really has been a superb go to place in Bristol 

• Like 1