IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

• Admin
22 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Been four times now , never had the Cote de beouf , how was it? Had the scallops and the mouse. Delicious.

Lovely and tender, they will only cook it medium rare, almost a char on the outside and rare right in the middle, I’d definitely have it again.  Plenty for two as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2023 at 21:49, GrahamC said:

Went to Tare in Cargo on Friday night, it was absolutely outstanding, one of the best places I have ever eaten in Bristol.

No wonder it is reservations only & booked well in advance.

Not been yet but will have to try it soon, glad you enjoyed it. Going to try The Chefs Table soon so will report back .

• Like 1

Myself and Mrs C were fortunate enough to visit The Chefs Table yesterday afternoon and wow, what a place! Fantastic food and staff. As it was quiet we had private dining and went for the 7 course tasting menu with wine flight . Every dish was a work of art and paired perfectly with wine . 
Michelin recommended this place should have a star without doubt. 
Not cheap but worth every penny !

https://chefstable.restaurant/

image.thumb.jpeg.f9475ecae8a38f5aabccda539a4c20a6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e62ba03adb42c24cda52cc0f94771f5c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b236cac009f6b360b83d75291b75a5e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.224c975806ca7bed53e773aacf4be928.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2de19cbaca28c2ff9a7f94926e636ae0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9d176092fc263b751fdc657516fe45a0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Myself and Mrs C were fortunate enough to visit The Chefs Table yesterday afternoon and wow, what a place! Fantastic food and staff. As it was quiet we had private dining and went for the 7 course tasting menu with wine flight . Every dish was a work of art and paired perfectly with wine . 
Michelin recommended this place should have a star without doubt. 
Not cheap but worth every penny !

https://chefstable.restaurant/

image.thumb.jpeg.f9475ecae8a38f5aabccda539a4c20a6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e62ba03adb42c24cda52cc0f94771f5c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b236cac009f6b360b83d75291b75a5e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.224c975806ca7bed53e773aacf4be928.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2de19cbaca28c2ff9a7f94926e636ae0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9d176092fc263b751fdc657516fe45a0.jpeg

Yes, Mrs Turnip and I went a few months ago. Was superb. Yes it's expensive but, the food was faultless and a really nice atmosphere and great staff. Well worth it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

No offence to anyone on this thread but is it just me that thinks all these places are just an overpriced crock of shit?

It’s all a matter of opinion I spose, I can do a Maccy Ds with the best of em but for a special occasion or a once in a while treat it’s fine and it really was superb . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

It’s all a matter of opinion I spose, I can do a Maccy Ds with the best of em but for a special occasion or a once in a while treat it’s fine and it really was superb . 

McDonald's is possibly the worst food in the world. It has cornered the market very well by playing to its strengths. It is at least not exuberantly overpriced and doesn't expect people to pay mad money for six chips because they are "hand cut".Even I can slice a potato!

Went to Palomar fish restaurant on Glos Rd a few weeks back. Bristol has a real dearth of good seafood places, which is bonkers given the location. 

Few pics below showing my oysters, each with a frozen ball of watermelon sorbet, scallops and chorizo starter with a pea puree, and then half lobster pappardelle pasta.

Absolutely brilliant meal and I'd highly recommend, if you like seafood. Will def be going back to try their seafood platter. 

20231010_202607.jpg

20231010_202602.jpg

20231010_204821.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, Slacker said:

McDonald's is possibly the worst food in the world. It has cornered the market very well by playing to its strengths. It is at least not exuberantly overpriced and doesn't expect people to pay mad money for six chips because they are "hand cut".Even I can slice a potato!

Depends what one orders , a salad or a chicken wrap for example wouldn’t be the worst food in the world . And I don’t believe you can slice a potato 🥔 ….:laughcont:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

Depends what one orders , a salad or a chicken wrap for example wouldn’t be the worst food in the world . And I don’t believe you can slice a potato 🥔 ….:laughcont:

Not only can I slice potato,it only takes me one attempt to cook a chip.Maybe if theses geniuses didn't have to "triple cook" their " hand cut" chips,they wouldn't be so expensive?

P.S.Genuine question. What is the process for a triple cooked chip?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Not only can I slice potato,it only takes me one attempt to cook a chip.Maybe if theses geniuses didn't have to "triple cook" their " hand cut" chips,they wouldn't be so expensive?

P.S.Genuine question. What is the process for a triple cooked chip?

I think it’s something to do with the oil temperature, they’re part cooked a couple of times and then finished on a high temperature thus triple cooked …..I think .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

I think it’s something to do with the oil temperature, they’re part cooked a couple of times and then finished on a high temperature thus triple cooked …..I think .

Seems a little excessive. Do you think they are noticeably better?

17 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Went to Palomar fish restaurant on Glos Rd a few weeks back. Bristol has a real dearth of good seafood places, which is bonkers given the location. 

Few pics below showing my oysters, each with a frozen ball of watermelon sorbet, scallops and chorizo starter with a pea puree, and then half lobster pappardelle pasta.

Absolutely brilliant meal and I'd highly recommend, if you like seafood. Will def be going back to try their seafood platter. 

20231010_202607.jpg

20231010_202602.jpg

20231010_204821.jpg

I really wish I could get into seafood. To be honest, this looks horrendous to me. I don't mind a bit of white fish and occasionally cooked prawns or tuna but that is about it for me.

On 20/03/2022 at 17:39, Red DNA said:

Years ago I worked for a long time at The Smyth Arms, every Sunday we put chunks of cheese and crisps in bowls along the bar. Good for business to get people in early before the free food was gone and the salted crisps made them drink more ?
As an alternative to cheeses and crisps I also recall having chitterlings on offer for free at The Queens Arms (?) in Chew Magnawl), loverly jubbly ?

Don’t know of any pubs who offer these freebies these days. 

Stumbled across your old post skimming through this thread.

I should declare an interest, but anyway, although the Queens in Chew Magna no longer has chitterling on the bar (sometimes roast potatoes though), we have amazing chefs producing amazing food (and drinks, we are a great pub serving great food, real ales, lagers, ciders, wines and cocktails, not a gastropub).

https://www.thequeenschewmagna.co.uk/

No need to take my word for it, the reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1869005-d23659747-Reviews-The_Queen_s_Chew_Magna-Chew_Magna_Somerset_England.html

https://dishcult.com/restaurant/theponytrap?sortOrder=0&page=1&bookingDate=2023-11-14&covers=2&promotionId=0&bookingTime=19%3A30

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 16:07, Slacker said:

I watched The Founder on one of the streaming services the other day, not a great movie, but a fair watch. 

As for the food being crap, can't comment as I can't recall when I last used them, but part of me seems to remember from reading the book Fast Food Nation about 20 years ago, that because of their buying power, they were generally about to get the best cuts of meat for the lowest prices as cattle farmers had little choice but to make a tiny margin on their work. 

What they do with these great cuts of meat after they've got them however is something of a mystery. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I watched The Founder on one of the streaming services the other day, not a great movie, but a fair watch. 

As for the food being crap, can't comment as I can't recall when I last used them, but part of me seems to remember from reading the book Fast Food Nation about 20 years ago, that because of their buying power, they were generally about to get the best cuts of meat for the lowest prices as cattle farmers had little choice but to make a tiny margin on their work. 

What they do with these great cuts of meat after they've got them however is something of a mystery. 

I probably eat a Maccy Ds about once every couple of months or so but a relative of mine used to work for them up until a few years ago and she has told me that they only use good ingredients and British and Irish beef that is seasoned before cooking and that’s it . :yawn:

Not sure if this restaurant has been mentioned in the thread, but me and the other half went to Chris & Jo’s kitchen on St Michael’s Hill. 

We had a roast there a few years back and always said we’d eventually return.

We both had starters/main/drinks which were all excellent.

Limited, but often changing menu. A small, intimate place. Craft/independant brewers offered in good variety .

Highly recommend 👍

https://www.facebook.com/chrisjoskitchen

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 2