IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Anyone going out for Christmas lunch/dinner on Monday?

I'd love to hear some reviews if you are.

Went to Lowden Garden Centre near Melksham for a family Christmas meal (I know, not Bristol) to ‘kind of’ answer your question. Will be at home on Xmas day for a family meal though.

Lowdens has the most wonderful restaurant. Been there plenty of times. The place runs like clockwork and I’d have to recommend their Sunday roast 👌

However, I especially recommend their Moroccan Lamb Flatbread if you were to go for lunch. 

Sorry for not directly answering your question, but had to mention 👍

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Went to Lowden Garden Centre near Melksham for a family Christmas meal (I know, not Bristol) to ‘kind of’ answer your question. Will be at home on Xmas day for a family meal though.

Lowdens has the most wonderful restaurant. Been there plenty of times. The place runs like clockwork and I’d have to recommend their Sunday roast 👌

However, I especially recommend their Moroccan Lamb Flatbread if you were to go for lunch. 

Always worth mentioning, I’m never anywhere near Melksham but I’m sure others on here are.

The Moroccan lamb sounds lush, right up my street.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Always worth mentioning, I’m never anywhere near Melksham but I’m sure others on here are.

The Moroccan lamb sounds lush, right up my street.

Check the menu.

Many good things.

Never had anything other than a top meal!

https://www.lowdengardencentre.com/?page_id=61

I’m eastern outskirts of Bristol, so well in range 😉

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 14:13, petehinton said:

Booked in to Pazzo on the 23rd. Have mourned pasta loco ever since it shut so suddenly. Here’s hoping it fills the void 

Was very good, as expected. Really delicious brocolli rigatoni dish. Service brilliant too. Nice touch that they’ve really taken the OG pasta loco decor with them too. 

• Like 2

• Admin
On 11/11/2023 at 11:37, Slippin cider said:

I think it’s something to do with the oil temperature, they’re part cooked a couple of times and then finished on a high temperature thus triple cooked …..I think .

Only just catching up on this.

Chip the potatoes, not too thin,  put them in a bowl of water for an 30-45 minutes to remove starch.  Drain and rinse.  Boil until soft, but not at the point of breaking up, put in the freezer of fridge until cold.  Heat oil to 130°C and cook the chips until they start to go golden.  Remove from oil, drain on kitchen paper, chill again, when you need them heat oil to 190°C and cook agin until the perfect colour and crispy, drain in kitchen paper and serve straight away.

This will give you a lovely, fluffy, crispy chip, you’ll never achieve the same by frying a raw potato just the once.

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2024 at 19:35, Maesknoll Red said:

Only just catching up on this.

Chip the potatoes, not too thin,  put them in a bowl of water for an 30-45 minutes to remove starch.  Drain and rinse.  Boil until soft, but not at the point of breaking up, put in the freezer of fridge until cold.  Heat oil to 130°C and cook the chips until they start to go golden.  Remove from oil, drain on kitchen paper, chill again, when you need them heat oil to 190°C and cook agin until the perfect colour and crispy, drain in kitchen paper and serve straight away.

This will give you a lovely, fluffy, crispy chip, you’ll never achieve the same by frying a raw potato just the once.

Some people don't like to start cooking their tea straight after finishing breakfast 

• Haha 2

On 23/12/2023 at 22:45, Pickle Rick said:

Been there quite a few times for Sunday lunch ….it’s absolutely superb ! 

• Flames 1

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

Interesting. I'd say the opposite; that it always seemed sparcely populated. I'm usually out in Bristol midweek as opposed to Friday and Saturday nights though. But it never seemed busy, especially in comparison to say Turtle Bay, just around the corner. 

Think I only went there twice for drinks. Good, inventive cocktails, but I wouldn't think to eat there. 

Interested to see what goes in it's place.

Anyone know what’s the latest with Pasture’s new burger restaurant/butchers/deli that was meant to be opening last year?

Prime by Pasture I believe it was going to be named. Going on the corner of St Thomas Street and Cross Street in Redcliffe Quarter. Anyone work in the area and seen any developments there? 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

@spudski My daughter is 13 tomorrow and wants to go for a pizza in that Italian where the white lion was in Yate - have you been in there? 

Depends what you want mate...it's far from traditional as they advertise. The better pizza locally is  the Italian in Sodbury. Even that's not traditional, but better. Haven't been to the ' white lion Italian ' so only going by friends experiences there.

Mind you...a 13 year olds taste would most likely be different to mine or yours? 🤷

Yate and Sodders is crying out for a traditional wood fired pizza establishment. Someone could make a killing. 

The Greek place that got done for growing weed would be ideal. 

I don't live in Sodders or Yate anymore, haven't for a while. So it may have changed for the better. Even though I visit every week. 

Have fun either way 😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rob k said:

Peter Sanchez-Inglesias wants to reopen Casamia. Not necessarily in Bristol either…

What a disaster it was when he upped sticks and moved to London leaving things to that chef who seemingly revelled in getting bad reviews and being edgy 

if it's unfinished business as he calls it surely has to re open in Bristol 

Edited by Club and Country
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Haven't been there for a few years but we have a work meal at Aqua on Welsh Back next week. Looking forward to it as have always had decent food there, going back over 20 plus years. Anyone been there recently? 

Aqua for me is as solid as they come 

Went there a few weeks ago for first time in a few years and was impressed 

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, Club and Country said:

What a disaster it was when he upped sticks and moved to London leaving things to that chef who seemingly revelled in getting bad reviews and being edgy 

if it's unfinished business as he calls it surely has to re open in Bristol 

I've lost faith in him a bit tbh. The last casamia as you say was a bit of a disaster. I've been Paco a few times now and there's better tapas restaurants in Bristol. 

The thing I hear repeated about his last few places including Decimo in London is "style over substance" and I'd agree with that. 

Hate to say it but since his brother passed away he's obviously taken a different direction, and the results aren't as successful imo. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot

So the Mrs has finally got some dates for The Bank for a Sunday roast, after all the hype and all this time , is it worth it ?

We will find out in April , anyone had one of their Roasts before ?

• Flames 1

56 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've lost faith in him a bit tbh. The last casamia as you say was a bit of a disaster. I've been Paco a few times now and there's better tapas restaurants in Bristol. 

The thing I hear repeated about his last few places including Decimo in London is "style over substance" and I'd agree with that. 

Hate to say it but since his brother passed away he's obviously taken a different direction, and the results aren't as successful imo. 

Heard the same about Decimo , very rarely hear paco mentioned by anyone to be honest 

just had to google it to check if Casa was still going as again don't hear anyone mention that either anymore 

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Heard the same about Decimo , very rarely hear paco mentioned by anyone to be honest 

just had to google it to check if Casa was still going as again don't hear anyone mention that either anymore 

Yeah, he says he needs to rebirth Casamia but he does already have Paco and Casa, so essentially he's looking to expand. 

Couple of other bits of news, the Lido restaurant in Clifton is closed for a couple of weeks as they are revamping their kitchen. 

Also, Gambas now have a private dining room that's very good, a bit like the one at Pasture. 

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, he says he needs to rebirth Casamia but he does already have Paco and Casa, so essentially he's looking to expand. 

Couple of other bits of news, the Lido restaurant in Clifton is closed for a couple of weeks as they are revamping their kitchen. 

Also, Gambas now have a private dining room that's very good, a bit like the one at Pasture. 

The one in Pasture, have you experienced it? Different menu? Different wines? Or is it basically just a private room? 

9 hours ago, Jose said:

The one in Pasture, have you experienced it? Different menu? Different wines? Or is it basically just a private room? 

It's called Radius , a separate room seated round a bar for between 8/10 people, we went as a couple and it's very sociable 

went a few weeks ago, and as far as value for money (don't get me wrong it's still not the cheapest) against other tasting menus this was right up there 

I said further up my only complaint was there was too much food, but the whole concept, service and food was top draw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

It's called Radius , a separate room seated round a bar for between 8/10 people, we went as a couple and it's very sociable 

went a few weeks ago, and as far as value for money (don't get me wrong it's still not the cheapest) against other tasting menus this was right up there 

I said further up my only complaint was there was too much food, but the whole concept, service and food was top draw

Thanks. Might give it a go.

9 hours ago, Club and Country said:

As a miserable git, that bit put me off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Had tickets to see Russell Howard at the Hippodrome last year.

Beforehand, had a few beers sat outside The Ostrich in the sun & then had a meal at Gambas; some of the best tapas I've had.

Just as well as Russell Howard was abysmal, genuinely didn't laugh once.

• Like 1