IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

11 hours ago, spudski said:

I can highly recommend the Urban Tandoor Saffron Lamb Shank. 

My wife and daughters went out for an Indian dinner on Christmas Day, would you believe, and I had the same or, at least, similar - Nalli Nihari.

Not in Urban Tandoor, but in a very nice Indian restaurant.

• Like 2

Took the family to the Mayflower last night - fantastic Chineses food and lots of it so much that my son filled a carry out carton for his lunch tomorrow - lazy bugger as he’s a chef!

including drinks it worked out at around £35 pp we all had two beers so that would have added quite a bit to the bill.

I’d recommend it to anyone who likes Chinese food.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Freddy bird will be on Saturday kitchen live next Saturday morning. Probably promoting his new restaurant. If you’ve never been to littleFrench or 1 York Place then you’ll get a decent idea of his style of cooking on the show. 

Going to the new one in Clifton this eve , will report back 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Freddy bird will be on Saturday kitchen live next Saturday morning. Probably promoting his new restaurant. If you’ve never been to littleFrench or 1 York Place then you’ll get a decent idea of his style of cooking on the show. 

Having been to Little French about five times I will try 1 York Place. I like FB style of cooking.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Any one been to Mowgli yet ?
Looks good, and I always liked the look of the stuff the owner does on TV , but not been yet. 

Yes went to the Bristol one last month, and the London Charlotte st one a fair few times as I work round the corner. 

Really good and very reasonable price too. The decor in the Bristol one is incredible, read somewhere online it’s the most money they’ve spent on any of their sites. Would deffo recommend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jambodinho said:

How’d it go? 

Very enjoyable 

went on a table of 4.

ordered a load of different snacks/starters which we shared. All were nice 

I had a slow cook ox dish for main with Pedro Jimenez Source which was lovely. 

we over ordered a bit on sides. The portions on the mains were actually pretty generous , so we had a whole potato side that went spare.

we were so stuffed we didn’t all get a desert but I shared a lemon posset type dish with shortbread with one of the other diners and it was amazing. 

service good , nice place . Would recommend.

did rack up quite a bill with a few bottles of wine on top etc , but a nice evening all round 

Edited by internetjef
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Very enjoyable 

went on a table of 4.

ordered a load of different snacks/starters which we shared. All were nice 

I had a slow cook ox dish for main with Pedro Jimenez Source which was lovely. 

we over ordered a bit on sides. The portions on the mains were actually pretty generous , so we had a whole potato side that went spare.

we were so stuffed we didn’t all get a desert but I shared a lemon posset type dish with shortbread with one of the other diners and it was amazing. 

service good , nice place . Would recommend.

did rack up quite a bill with a few bottles of wine on top etc , but a nice evening all round 

Sounds amazing. Will get in there at some point. Thanks for the review 

5 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Went for Sunday lunch 3 weeks ago, was ok nothing spectacular. £26.00 for the beef and cauliflower cheese was a extra £6.00.

Yesterday tried the Ox for Sunday lunch, been a few times for evening meals but this was the first time for lunch. Would highly recommend £22.00 for the beef which included cauli cheese, leeks and greens and red cabbage, luckily we didn't order any extra sides as was plenty.

Maybe not as good as Pasture etc but no need to book months in advance, didn't book till Thursday and their was plenty of tables available. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, readie14 said:

Went for Sunday lunch 3 weeks ago, was ok nothing spectacular. £26.00 for the beef and cauliflower cheese was a extra £6.00.

Yesterday tried the Ox for Sunday lunch, been a few times for evening meals but this was the first time for lunch. Would highly recommend £22.00 for the beef which included cauli cheese, leeks and greens and red cabbage, luckily we didn't order any extra sides as was plenty.

Maybe not as good as Pasture etc but no need to book months in advance, didn't book till Thursday and their was plenty of tables available. 

Always found the Ox very reliable. Lovely & atmospheric down there too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Always found the Ox very reliable. Lovely & atmospheric down there too. 

Me too...prefer it to Pasture. Equal quality steak if not better imo, and nicer ambience. 

Also like to go to this place that's a sister company for after dinner drinks. 

I often end up like Rowley Birkin after a few Negronis. 😆

https://milkthistlebristol.com/

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Me too...prefer it to Pasture. Equal quality steak if not better imo, and nicer ambience. 

Also like to go to this place that's a sister company for after dinner drinks. 

I often end up like Rowley Birkin after a few Negronis. 😆

https://milkthistlebristol.com/

Yeah done both quite a few times. Decent places. I think they used to have Pata Negra on Corn St too but think that closed a while ago 

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah done both quite a few times. Decent places. I think they used to have Pata Negra on Corn St too but think that closed a while ago 

Yes they did...would often go there too. Especially if they had an Iberico ham being cut on the counter ..all washed down with a chilled fino Sherry. Damn...I'm hungry now 😜🤣

Edited by spudski
  • Flames 1

On 30/01/2024 at 16:56, spudski said:

Yes they did...would often go there too. Especially if they had an Iberico ham being cut on the counter ..all washed down with a chilled fino Sherry. Damn...I'm hungry now 😜🤣

I went to Andalusia a few years ago and popped in to a nice little bar/restaurant in Malaga for some tapas.

I forget what we ate, although I remember one was black pudding and another was Iberian ham, goats cheese with honey.

They were all very enjoyable (and reasonably priced), but I just couldn’t tear my eyes away from the hams standing behind the bar, all slowly dripping their fat in to a little tray.

I have been in numerous Spanish bars and restaurants over the years, but this was the first time I ever noticed it.

And just to think, when I first started going there, in the mid 1980s, people would be smoking at the bar adjacent!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I went to Andalusia a few years ago and popped in to a nice little bar/restaurant in Malaga for some tapas.

I forget what we ate, although I remember one was black pudding and another was Iberian ham, goats cheese with honey.

They were all very enjoyable (and reasonably priced), but I just couldn’t tear my eyes away from the hams standing behind the bar, all slowly dripping their fat in to a little tray.

I have been in numerous Spanish bars and restaurants over the years, but this was the first time I ever noticed it.

And just to think, when I first started going there, in the mid 1980s, people would be smoking at the bar adjacent!

To digress away from the ham...cheese with honey...now isn't that a taste sensation. I first had it in Italy about 20 years ago. I have it with cheese pretty much always now if nibbling. 

This discussion was had with friends a while back...it led to cheese on fruit cake. Tried it...again another taste sensation. Especially mature cheddar on a densely rich fruit cake. 

Give both a try if you haven't. Manchego goes especially well with honey. 👍

Tare, with just 20 covers isn’t the biggest but they certainly make up for it in the quality and flavour of their food, we had the lunch menu which consists of bread and olive oil and two small plates from a good selection and a glass of wine , all for £24 which is great! 
There are add on sides and deserts if required and are extra. We had a few sides …Potato rosti with cheese and quails egg black pudding scotch eggs on mustard mayo . All were delicious…came away very happy and full …a bargain at £63 all in . Look forward to another visit sometime. 

IMG_9400.jpeg

IMG_9399.jpeg

IMG_9401.jpeghttps://tarerestaurant.co.uk/

Edited by Slippin cider
  • Like 4

On 08/01/2024 at 16:01, spudski said:

Depends what you want mate...it's far from traditional as they advertise. The better pizza locally is  the Italian in Sodbury. Even that's not traditional, but better. Haven't been to the ' white lion Italian ' so only going by friends experiences there.

Mind you...a 13 year olds taste would most likely be different to mine or yours? 🤷

Yate and Sodders is crying out for a traditional wood fired pizza establishment. Someone could make a killing. 

The Greek place that got done for growing weed would be ideal. 

I don't live in Sodders or Yate anymore, haven't for a while. So it may have changed for the better. Even though I visit every week. 

Have fun either way 😀

On the topic of pizza, I miss Pizza Provencale in Clifton 😭

Easily some of the best pizza in the area now has to be from Pizza Adorare. It’s takeaway and often pre-order only as they can fill up on orders before they open for the night. They move around location wise.

https://www.facebook.com/PizzaAdorare

• Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 22:21, Bristol Rob said:

I must be the only person who thinks Urban Tandoor is just 'okay'.

Must have been there half a dozen times and whilst there is nothing wrong with the food at all, I just can't understand the hype.

It does the job. I’ve been 3 or 4 times and don’t find it top notch.

Shadin on Staple Hill is my go to.

Haveli the Yard was awesome.

1 hour ago, Pickle Rick said:

On the topic of pizza, I miss Pizza Provencale in Clifton 😭

Easily some of the best pizza in the area now has to be from Pizza Adorare. It’s takeaway and often pre-order only as they can fill up on orders before they open for the night. They move around location wise.

https://www.facebook.com/PizzaAdorare

I noticed they've started opposite Drill Cut in Sodbury. Will do well when word of mouth gets around. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Tare, with just 20 covers isn’t the biggest but they certainly make up for it in the quality and flavour of their food, we had the lunch menu which consists of bread and olive oil and two small plates from a good selection and a glass of wine , all for £24 which is great! 
There are add on sides and deserts if required and are extra. We had a few sides …Potato rosti with cheese and quails egg black pudding scotch eggs on mustard mayo . All were delicious…came away very happy and full …a bargain at £63 all in . Look forward to another visit sometime. 

IMG_9400.jpeg

IMG_9399.jpeg

Evening. Did you eat at the full restaurant , or the new tare bistro one they have opened up (next door to 7 lucky gods).

I am going to the latter in a few weeks. Looks like it’s easier to order small plates in bistro rather than the main one where it looks like more set menus 

8 hours ago, internetjef said:

Evening. Did you eat at the full restaurant , or the new tare bistro one they have opened up (next door to 7 lucky gods).

I am going to the latter in a few weeks. Looks like it’s easier to order small plates in bistro rather than the main one where it looks like more set menus 

I didn’t know there was another bit , we ate in the part where the kitchen was .

20 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

IMG_9400.jpeg

IMG_9399.jpeg

I think probably my favourite restaurant in Bristol. Lush mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

I think they are two separate boxes in the cargo bit totally independent of each other (in terms of location / building) , but they can’t be more than 100 metres apart ha 

Ah ok , I did notice that Salt n Malt now has a separate dining room a few meters from the actual fish n chip restaurant. They also do a lunch deal for a tenner which is well worth it .