IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

2 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Must admit it did not.

Went with my wife rather than with a big group. Ordered a fair few dishes but the aubergine didn’t jump out on paper over some of the others we ordered.

the octopus was one of best dishes I have eaten in Bristol though.

we also didn’t order any desert as the wife has no sweet tooth so we often skip it and just get a couple extra dishes earlier in meal 

I do like a desert tho so will save space for it next time 

Agree on the pulpo. Make sure you try the aubergine next time. 

Are you going Sprints next week? Should meet for a cider!

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree on the pulpo. Make sure you try the aubergine next time. 

Are you going Sprints next week? Should meet for a cider!

Yes going with 3 mates 

will come and say hello if I see you in there before the set starts 

gonna check out that Detroit style pizza place upstairs in renatos before the gig

think they used to do it out of a hatch in the orchard years back. Never had it but heard good things and a bit different to all the other sourdough stuff most places are doing these days (although no complaints with sourdough pizzas) 

9 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Yes going with 3 mates 

will come and say hello if I see you in there before the set starts 

gonna check out that Detroit style pizza place upstairs in renatos before the gig

think they used to do it out of a hatch in the orchard years back. Never had it but heard good things and a bit different to all the other sourdough stuff most places are doing these days (although no complaints with sourdough pizzas) 

Nice one mate, hopefully will remember what you look like. Been a while since Nice 🤣👍

6 hours ago, frenchred said:

Just been to Rich's Cider Farm for their Sunday roast carvery, was excellent value and a cracking roast!

Worked there as a lad for a fiver an hour. Really is good food and cheap too. Hope you managed to get up the Watchfield for a Stan before you left!

Finally made it to Bank for a Sunday Roast , absolutely top notch . 
If I was being picky , Bianchi's roast potatoes are better but over all the best I've had in a long, long time. 

• Like 1

Looking for a restaurant for my fiancées Birthday and am thinking that seafood is the way to go. 

Noah's and Spiny Lobster seem to be the two big hitters from this thread. Anyone have any strong thoughts on which one to go for or if there's another option I've missed? 

16 hours ago, whale said:

Looking for a restaurant for my fiancées Birthday and am thinking that seafood is the way to go. 

Noah's and Spiny Lobster seem to be the two big hitters from this thread. Anyone have any strong thoughts on which one to go for or if there's another option I've missed? 

I'd say you can't go wrong with either. Both nice venues for a special occasion too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, whale said:

Spiny Lobster out of the two. 

My partners birthday next week too, and looking for some suggestions. We live in Southville, and ideally would like to walk within 30mins. Any suggestions? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Spiny Lobster out of the two. 

My partners birthday next week too, and looking for some suggestions. We live in Southville, and ideally would like to walk within 30mins. Any suggestions? 

Cor in bedminster?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Cor in bedminster?

Great suggestion; we went there for my birthday earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Was looking to try somewhere different, but thanks for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

Not the biggest fan of Lounges, but think this is a real positive for the harbourside, decent food, somewhere actually dog friendly for a huge dog walking area, and will be a brilliant view for a breakfast/lunch/evening bite at the very least. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/bristol-restaurant-chain-lounges-could-9214332?fbclid=IwAR2NNatwOB4iA55ahv7GWHM-8ilL5TNr9SxQWA3NN3A2mQ1tct82678Sfko_aem_ASkPgpmHecmpq2RHfYXHGQksVCTlHFsvotESzkV32RnbRtz6zsBIImS9vF_-SvRGZzQ#lusq5tyjnjz6j4i7k3n

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not the biggest fan of Lounges, but think this is a real positive for the harbourside, decent food, somewhere actually dog friendly for a huge dog walking area, and will be a brilliant view for a breakfast/lunch/evening bite at the very least. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/bristol-restaurant-chain-lounges-could-9214332?fbclid=IwAR2NNatwOB4iA55ahv7GWHM-8ilL5TNr9SxQWA3NN3A2mQ1tct82678Sfko_aem_ASkPgpmHecmpq2RHfYXHGQksVCTlHFsvotESzkV32RnbRtz6zsBIImS9vF_-SvRGZzQ#lusq5tyjnjz6j4i7k3n

Bristol lads who are absolutely smashing it 

they are what they are, an upmarket spoons almost (which might even be abit harsh!)

see the lad that ruined Casamia is opening up his own restaurant in bedminster....didn't realise he had just been at Tare aswell 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I'm a fan, I think they're great. 

Speaking to a mate that works for them and they'll have nearly 300 sites by the end of the year. They've opened 36 venues this financial year alone. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, petehinton said:

Makes me laugh how everyone of there establishments has a name that finishes with the letter O. 

The one they had in Cardiff covered in portraits of Mussolini was also very odd. 

Apparently they get all their furnishings or did from a warehouse in Romania. 

If Wetherspoons did a lounge...

It's a shame what's along that stretch of the harbour side. Just all a bit meh...

Imo...it would suit smaller buildings, that could be let to non chain like establishments. 

You could easily double what's there with smaller units. 

• Like 1

Lounge's do a decent job, really don't mind them.

Quite looking forward to seeing what they do with that work going on on Welsh Back by the Hole in the Wall. Supposed to be a food court of sorts with pop up restaurants and bars. Always thought Bristol could do with something a bit like Freight Island in Manchester, not that there is much space for it.

• Like 2

Talk about build it and they will come. When the Fishponds Lounge "Porto" was in the smaller site by the park , we could get in a lit more often than now, usually rammed.  The food and service is usually good.

I would say the bigger building isn't so great for acoustics , you can struggle with conversations at times . 
The big one in Keynsham hasn't got the same homely feel as the smaller ones do and loses something from the experience. Be interesting to see what happens with the Harbourside site.

On 09/04/2024 at 21:05, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm a fan, I think they're great. 

Speaking to a mate that works for them and they'll have nearly 300 sites by the end of the year. They've opened 36 venues this financial year alone. 

Yup. Big fan of the original on North St. I do wonder though wether they’ve overstretched themselves in their seemingly relentless expansions. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Yup. Big fan of the original on North St. I do wonder though wether they’ve overstretched themselves in their seemingly relentless expansions. 

As somebody who works in the industry, they don’t seem to have. 

• Like 2

Chatting with my lad midweek he and his partner when to the Nutmeg an Indian restaurant in Clifton Village. He said it was excellent with a great variety of set menu’s to select from.

We’re thinking of going there ourselves - has anyone else been there?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Chatting with my lad midweek he and his partner when to the Nutmeg an Indian restaurant in Clifton Village. He said it was excellent with a great variety of set menu’s to select from.

We’re thinking of going there ourselves - has anyone else been there?

Not heard of this one but will check it out , The Mint Room is lovely in Clifton and Urban Tandoor at the top of Whiteladies is superb as well .

Just now, Slippin cider said:

Not heard of this one but will check it out , The Mint Room is lovely in Clifton and Urban Tandoor at the top of Whiteladies is superb as well .

Been to the Mint Room and wasn’t overly impressed. They were very pretentious I thought.