IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, 22A said:

OK folks, a neutral has answered our eternal question.

Was it ever a question?

Some of the comments are funny, going on about 1982, which in reality is more embarrassing for them, as we’ve achieved more in 42 years than they have in all their years, even the years as a non league club. 

Also, I saw a few times this season, on Twitter, that their home games are near sell outs? Have they reduced their capacity? Because not one game has been close 🤣

There's really no comparison {& I'm not blowing our trumpet]

Not even Swindle would be a comparison. They have a bigger stadium, have been in the Premier League & have won a major cup competition. Although they haven't won the Watney Cup.

A better comparison would be Forest Green or Cheltenham, much more their level.

24 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

2023/24 Attendances courtesy of transfermarket.com:

City    22,784

Sags     8,152

Still, they are the bigger club with the best support (Gas logic).

When the Gas took 75 to Fleetwood and it was expressed as a percentage of their home support and then multiplied by the "nothing riding on the game" co-efficient it was actually the third highest away attendance in the history of the game....................

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

When the Gas took 75 to Fleetwood and it was expressed as a percentage of their home support and then multiplied by the "nothing riding on the game" co-efficient it was actually the third highest away attendance in the history of the game....................

Spot on.

People get hung up on the headline numbers but fail to bring into account the multiple adjustment factors that have to brought in in order to transform that headline number into a correct, albeit theoretical, attendance figure.

When correctly adjusted, as you have just done, they have a genuinely awesome away support. We are very much not worthy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

BCFC Women - 7,384

If you do 'highest home crowd this season' across men's and womens football and the rugby you should be able to find the worst supported side in the region!

So, in first place we have....

Bristol City - 25,857 v Leicester.

Second....

Bristol Rugby - 21,076 v Exeter 

Third

Bristol City women - 12,008 v Arsenal.

And propping up the table....

Fewers - 10,335 against Norwich.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If you do 'highest home crowd this season' across men's and womens football and the rugby you should be able to find the worst supported side in the region!

Second....

Third

Bristol Bears had 26387 v Bath, a higher crowds than Rovers 3 last attendances put together...

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Second....

Third

And that was only because they thought they`d just breeze past The Canaries and be heading for Anfield in the next round. They were booking hotels and coaches before the match.

Deluded doesn`t even begin to cover it.

• Like 5

When you think about the mix of old and loan players and the age of supporters who do attend, a quote from the great Blackadder seems fitting:-

They 'are in a stickier situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'.

We all know that sport is a money game. The assumption that new owners would prompt a great new era have clearly not become reality. What next?

Edited by Open End Numb Legs
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And that was only because they thought they`d just breeze past The Canaries and be heading for Anfield in the next round. They were booking hotels and coaches before the match.

Deluded doesn`t even begin to cover it.

Plus a 15% (I presume) away allocation and Norwich travel well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Second....

Third

The women's Man Utd home game had 14,138 . More than the capacity of the Mem , that they can't sell out anyway .

• Like 1

Rovers have announced that their women's team will go back to full control of the club (having been run by their Community Trust since the team was reformed in 2019).

Not just that, but that the team will play all home games at the Memorial Stadium, as they compete in the National League South West (tier 4) next season...

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/20242/april/gas-girls-return-home-to-bristol-rovers-stewardship/

On 18/04/2024 at 13:41, Swede said:

There's really no comparison {& I'm not blowing our trumpet]

Not even Swindle would be a comparison. They have a bigger stadium, have been in the Premier League & have won a major cup competition. Although they haven't won the Watney Cup.

A better comparison would be Forest Green or Cheltenham, much more their level.

Also we get bigger home crowds than them and we’re shite and there’s only a few teams in league 2 that bring 500 or more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Also we get bigger home crowds than them and we’re shite and there’s only a few teams in league 2 that bring 500 or more.

To be fair your attendances have held up well this season considering the dross you’ve had to put up with 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Surely she's pissed 3/4 of her voters off with this monstrosity? Screenshot_20240419-191804_Chrome.thumb.jpg.21ebe5544bdcc5503e055759263b723f.jpg

Oh dear Thangham, what were you thinking?!

My MP for the past nine years and really popular locally. I certainly voted for her. 

Bad show by her party research staff though, have they not realised that ~98% of her constituents, even those of us who live in spitting distance of the Tinpottery, are anything but supporters of that shower? More City than gas in this neighbourhood. 

Such trivia wouldn't sway my vote in a general election, but what a lack of judgement from a senior politician.

Anyway, as it happens, due to the boundary changes I believe Thangham has been moved to contest the new Bristol Central constituency at the next election, where there's a good chance she will lose out to the Green candidate. Unless the huge Sag vote can save her

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Oh dear Thangham, what were you thinking?!

My MP for the past nine years and really popular locally. I certainly voted for her. 

Bad show by her party research staff though, have they not realised that ~98% of her constituents, even those of us who live in spitting distance of the Tinpottery, are anything but supporters of that shower? More City than gas in this neighbourhood. 

Such trivia wouldn't sway my vote in a general election, but what a lack of judgement from a senior politician.

Anyway, as it happens, due to the boundary changes I believe Thangham has been moved to contest the new Bristol Central constituency at the next election, where there's a good chance she will lose out to the Green candidate. Unless the huge Sag vote can save her

I know the greens are popular at local level but can’t see that support holding up in a general election, what is it with Bristol politicians throwing their weight behind the Gas? Used to be the horse faced MP Leslie ? Also our useless Mayor and now Thangam 

Oh well, that'll be agod send to the Tories and their subservient press it will surely know the spurious charges against Rayner off the front page  . I mean, that Fylde bloke ripping of the party funds is nothing compared to the shame of this!

But joking aside, they'd do well to steer clear of pinning your flag to the mast of a club, especially if it were a tight marginal..........not that there will be any left !

4 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Shaun, at least you know you're 5hite. Those cretinous ******** actually believe they are something special.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Swede said:

Shaun, at least you know you're 5hite. Those cretinous ******** actually believe they are something special.

Swede, we’re definitely shite but have the potential to get in league one if only we had a decent owner who wasn’t full of bullshit and surrounded by crooks😁

7 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Wasn't Jeffrey Archer linked with the sags back in the day?

He still is. He compiles all of their numerical data, such as attendances, size of fanbase and is currently working on the amount of seats required in any new stands or stadium.

He is a very accomplished writer of fiction with a wild imagination. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8