IGNORED

Arnold Clark Cup

Port Said Red

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I watched the entire game on ITV4 and England were far and away the better team. Belgium managed one shot - a screamer - all game.

Whilst I like see England ladies doing well there’s something missing and definitely wouldn’t pay to see them play.

Something missing? What, like pain and misery usually associated with watching the men’s team?! I thought it was an exciting, cohesive display of attacking football. Over 30 shots and some great goals. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Any more Men want to give their opinion (completely unasked for) on the standard of the game compared to the Men's game? Have a night off.

Yep should never be compared. Fair play to the ladies they are some team and must have a good chance of being world champions in a few months.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

Any more Men want to give their opinion (completely unasked for) on the standard of the game compared to the Men's game? Have a night off.

If you join a forum, you’re entitled to express opinions. It’s what they’re for. And you expect to see different ones in return. That’s the point. Nobody needs to be invited.

That said, most of the opinions are positive, as is mine. Women’s football has come a long way in the last few years, and I’d be delighted if NP could get our men playing that well.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

My opinion is - It was a cracking game, high skill level from the England team. Very enjoyable evening. Ashton Gate looked great to a whole new audience including a few of the blue few who must have been impressed. Might pop down to see the City women's team in their final home match at the Gate 

• Like 2

No reason not to believe the Lionesses could win the WC but it will be interesting to see how they cope with being one of the favourites in an overseas environment without the partisan English support. I don't know what stadiums are being used down under (they have some very large ones) and whether they will be packed but they can expect the usual 'warm' impartial antipodean welcome especially if they have to play the Matildas further down the line. 

59 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think it's great, they come along and see how big the gap really is now

They had the pleasure of taking their hats, coats, gloves and scarves off at Bristol’s other stadium.

They now have something to dream about ?

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just imagine them being under cover in a football ground and not a ridge pole in sight!

They must have been quite scared ?

I thought the pitch looked a bit tired and marked and with us playing on it Sat and Tuesday plus the bears games coming up I reckon it might be coming to the end of it's life and may need completely replacing for next season mind its still miles better than some of the pitches we have had at the gate going back a few years.

Great to have a top international competition held at Ashton Gate! For all the detractors and disinterested, it cannot be denied that the club has had a feather in their cap for hosting such an event. I don't know how well this will be received in the corridors of power but I am hopeful we will be looked on favourably in the future.

I watched the first game: South Korea didn't really get going until the second half and were lucky to be just the one goal adrift. However, with Italy making a few substitutions they started to control the midfield and grabbed a neatly-placed equaliser. I thought the match would end even but the Italians made a last effort and found space at the back post. Replays on the big screens seemed to show an offside and the Koreans complained loudly afterwards - but the ref blew for time and went off. Unlucky for the Koreans.

England showed the sort of form that carried them to the Euro22 title and were on the pace right from the start. Weigmann selected a strong starting line-up and it showed. Belgium were hardly able to get the ball into our half and at times it looked like an Attack v. Defence training game. Not our fault. We were a yard faster and a second quicker thinking - a product of some top competition and top coaching I believe.

Anything England did that was positive came through Keira Walsh - and it's not hard to see how she has become one of the best (and priciest) midfielders in the world. She was always available and it is a great sign to see England players who have team-mates right beside them - making for a fluid and powerful base to move up the field. Chloe Kelly was a constant threat, either in the box (scoring two 'sniffer' goals) or sending in nasty crosses from the right - which tormented the Belgian defenders until one poked it in her own net. Williamson was moved up late on as Wubben-Moy came on for some valuable gametime, but seemed to lack a bit of bite I thought. Still didn't stop her rifling in a shot from the edge of the box, though. A comfortable win and time for the spaghetti streamers.

@shahanshahan  I saw you in the Lower Lansdown just a few rows down from me. I thought you were recreating a scene from 'A Fistful of Dollars'.   ;)

Edited by Erithacus
format
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, pillred said:

I thought the pitch looked a bit tired and marked and with us playing on it Sat and Tuesday plus the bears games coming up I reckon it might be coming to the end of it's life and may need completely replacing for next season mind its still miles better than some of the pitches we have had at the gate going back a few years.

Ys Thought pitch looked well tatty tonight . Not sure how much the rain shower during first game helped 

Really enjoyed the whole experience tonight . First game interesting with flash's  of good play in front of about ,6000. Loved the packed gate for the England game  and the bouncy buzzy  bouncy atmosphere of the crowd. So different to watching England men's team live. And the quality of England's play was very impressive. But I feel there is no way you can compare the footballing or the crowd experience to the men's game . It is so far apart . Enjoyed tonight very much thank you England lady's team and  Ashton gate for tonight . But back to the proper stuff Saturday. Back down the gate against Hull. COYR

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Yep it's bizarre and to paraphrase the joke about vegans...

How do you know if someone doesn't like women's football? Don't worry they'll tell you... 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the game and my 9 year old son loved the experience of seeing a team win a trophy. 

Walsh and Stanway looked class in Midfield, thought Lauren James looked unstoppable at times but then also looked totally uninterested at others. 

Personally thought the Mexican Wave and random camera phone waving was a bit disrespectful, I know it's a bit of fun and the game was over but not sure I'd be happy watching a men's game and doing it. The football on show was entertaining enough without weirdos shouting at me to get up to do a stupid wave. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

9 hours ago, Super said:

Yep should never be compared. Fair play to the ladies they are some team and must have a good chance of being world champions in a few months.

That's fine, but it works both ways. In my experience the comparisons seem to be more than welcome when they're favourable to the women, but when they're not it's "shut up and stop comparing them"

• Like 4