IGNORED

Stefan Bajic - Signing confirmed

Finley_Smith10

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

French with Slav parentage.

Im disappointed we haven’t discussed pronunciation of his surname yet. Though obviously we didn’t really bother with Massengo.

Buy-itch? That’s my assumption, though we’ll probably call him Badge-ick.

It will either be Badge-lick or Buy-itch I think but no doubt he will be called Ba-gic by City fans!  Less cringy than Na-gee for Nagy though!

33 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It will either be Badge-lick or Buy-itch I think but no doubt he will be called Ba-gic by City fans!  Less cringy than Na-gee for Nagy though!

Yes Buy itch or Bay itch, I would imagine. As long it's not "flapper" or "dracula" or "jigsaw" "swiss cheese" I will be happy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Im disappointed we haven’t discussed pronunciation of his surname yet. Though obviously we didn’t really bother with Massengo.

I reckon you're right. I was assuming ba-jique but that was on an assumption it was a French Surname. If it is from Eastern Europe, Buy-itch sounds about right.  

Being late to this one, I don’t see him coming here to sit on the bench. 6’3” french u21 players tend to play at their clubs. I’d see it as Bentley leaving for a small fee to be a prem back up. Makes sense as his wage will be high for our current setup. A small fee and getting his wages gone would be a big help I think. 

Would be a risk but I don’t think Bentley is overly special that you pass up a good young talent. However there is merit to sending Max on loan and having bajic and bentley fight it out too. Max needs a season in L1 working on getting better in a crowded penalty area. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Buy-Itch would be correct, however, Serbian Media feels the lad has no interest in his parentage and therefore he may view himself as solely French and may prefer the francophone Buy-eek. ala Pulisic.

Additionally, the lad is PSG’s first choice keeper in 2026 on my Football Manager save 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

If he does sign and gets in the team and has a stinker, he'll soon become Stefan Tragic to his detractors (hopefully this won't be the case) :) 

13 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Nice to see so many people writing off Max.  Beggars belief this forum at times.  Young for a keeper and surely it’s clear to see he has a lot of strengths.  I remember when Semenyo was never going to be good enough….

I certainly don't want to write off O'Leary but I think we also need to be pragmatic. He's 26 in October and made his debut at the very end of Cotts' reign. Six years and three managers later, he's spent the last two seasons as back-up to a keeper who is only three years older than him. O'Leary might be relatively young but Bentley was the same age as O'Leary was when he joined us as first-choice and had already been a first team Championship goalkeeper for three years.

I honestly don't think Bentley is going to get a Premier League club come in for him and he might well be here for the long-term. There has to be a point where Max wants first team football and I think, if he was going to dislodge Bentley, last season was his chance, which he did not quite take.

I can easily see O'Leary moving on, getting regular football and becoming a good Championship goalkeeper but he is at a point where he needs to be first choice. I honestly don't see that happening this season and I think, for his sake, a move would be the right thing. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I reckon you must be a bit crackers to want to replace Bentley with MOL or an unknown player. The amount of points he has saved us with important saves. We are developing a strong team spine, and for me he is very important.

He's an interesting one, Bentley. I've never felt like he's an outstanding keeper. But after his return to the team, I realised just how good he is for us.

I think we are about his level, he is about our level and it's a good fit. Of course he has some weaknesses but I think he's a good #1. But the successful teams always look to improve on what they have, even if what they have is already good.

I know nothing about this chap we're linked with though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

He's an interesting one, Bentley. I've never felt like he's an outstanding keeper. But after his return to the team, I realised just how good he is for us.

I think we are about his level, he is about our level and it's a good fit. Of course he has some weaknesses but I think he's a good #1. But the successful teams always look to improve on what they have, even if what they have is already good.

I know nothing about this chap we're linked with though. 

I think I agree. I think we'd do very well to recruit a better goalkeeper than Bentley but I think - if he moved to a Premier League team or Championship promotion favourite - he might be struggle to be first choice. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Being late to this one, I don’t see him coming here to sit on the bench. 6’3” french u21 players tend to play at their clubs. I’d see it as Bentley leaving for a small fee to be a prem back up. Makes sense as his wage will be high for our current setup. A small fee and getting his wages gone would be a big help I think. 

Would be a risk but I don’t think Bentley is overly special that you pass up a good young talent. However there is merit to sending Max on loan and having bajic and bentley fight it out too. Max needs a season in L1 working on getting better in a crowded penalty area. 

I’ve looked at his career to date, he has started 6 league games in Ligue 1 for St. Etienne, also coming on as a sub 3 times, at Pau last season he started 15 Ligue 2 games.

24 total career games is nowhere near enough to think that he’s coming here to displace Bentley at the relative stages of their careers.

Of course DB could get injured, have a poor run of form etc, but I’ll bet that if this lad signs he starts the season on the bench barring some last minute crisis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve looked at his career to date, he has started 6 league games in Ligue 1 for St. Etienne, also coming on as a sub 3 times, at Pau last season he started 15 Ligue 2 games.

24 total career games is nowhere near enough to think that he’s coming here to displace Bentley at the relative stages of their careers.

Of course DB could get injured, have a poor run of form etc, but I’ll bet that if this lad signs he starts the season on the bench barring some last minute crisis.

Will you please stop using facts and logic to construct an opinion. This is the internet!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can’t see us directly replacing a keeper of Bentley’s calibre with a relatively untried 20 year old. It’s not unheard of by any means, just look at the Leeds keeper. But I’d be surprised if he came straight in as number 1.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I can’t see us directly replacing a keeper of Bentley’s calibre with a relatively untried 20 year old. It’s not unheard of by any means, just look at the Leeds keeper. But I’d be surprised if he came straight in as number 1.

Is a tough one. It is a name I have seen around before and sure he is quite highly thought of. Maybe on a free clouds it a bit. If he was on an open market with a couple years on his contract he’d probably be 3-5m euros. Pay that for a keeper in the championship and he probably starts. Just my guess though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is a tough one. It is a name I have seen around before and sure he is quite highly thought of. Maybe on a free clouds it a bit. If he was on an open market with a couple years on his contract he’d probably be 3-5m euros. Pay that for a keeper in the championship and he probably starts. Just my guess though. 

He would be an exciting signing, but we also thought that about the young keeper we signed from Bayern a few years ago. I guess we will see one way or another.

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He would be an exciting signing, but we also thought that about the young keeper we signed from Bayern a few years ago. I guess we will see one way or another.

The one formerly known as Ivan?

• Flames 2