IGNORED

Conway

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Or just maybe he’d prefer to play for Scotland and England isn’t the centre of the universe… 

Though he evidently qualifies for Scotland it comes down to whether he feels Scottish.

If he does, then of course he'll be delighted with this call-up - a dream come true.

If he's never felt remotely Scottish, and has actually always strongly thought of himself as English, then he can just reject the call-up.

'Thanks, but no thanks.'

If I was in his shoes in those circumstances it would be a very easy decision to make.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I wonder if Alan McInally had any input after creaming himself over the fact that he qualified for Scotland when he was covering the Blackburn game for Sky.

Sounds like output rather than input :whistle2: but anyway yep, the thought had occurred to me too.

First I'd heard of it for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sounds daft but I’m a bit gutted England  hasn’t come calling . Can’t be many England u21 strikers playing first team football & scoring regularly 

Probably right, the u21s aren't exactly packed with goalscorers. Balogun probably in the best form out of the last squad, 5 in 6 so far at Riems in Ligue 1. The rest of that squad struggling for minutes and/or goals

7 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Great to see Tommy get some recognition. A good opportunity for him. I was hoping that he was Taunton Irish but you can't have it all.

My Auntie's maiden name was Conway, she was born in England and lived all her life over here but her family hail from Mayo originally, though most now reside around Dublin/Kildare. We were at a family wedding last Saturday, when we checked the latest scores and noted that Tommy had scored against Blackburn, the question was asked as to whether we knew if he had any Irish connections!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

My Auntie's maiden name was Conway, she was born in England and lived all her life over here but her family hail from Mayo originally, though most now reside around Dublin/Kildare. We were at a family wedding last Saturday, when we checked the latest scores and noted that Tommy had scored against Blackburn, the question was asked as to whether we knew if he had any Irish connections!

Great part of the world. If you haven't heard of the 'curse' on the GAA team of Mayo, check it out. They've reached and failed to win 11 finals since it was supposedly placed on them.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Great part of the world. If you haven't heard of the 'curse' on the GAA team of Mayo, check it out. They've reached and failed to win 11 finals since it was supposedly placed on them.

2021 was the big chance with Kerry and the Dubs out. They'll win another one sometime but it's a remarkable run of final defeats including 6 between 2012 and 2021!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Birthplace doesn't necessarily matter. My partner was born in England, both parents Welsh. She's Welsh in her eyes (unfortunately!)

I spent my life hovering between telling people I’m “Half English Half Welsh” and feeling English.

Father was 100% Welsh, mother 100%English, I was born (just) on the English side of the border in Shrewsbury, but only because the maternity hospital was there - we lived in Wales at the time, and until I was 10. I’m 66 now and have never lived in Wales since.

It’s rarely straightforward!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I spent my life hovering between telling people I’m “Half English Half Welsh” and feeling English.

Father was 100% Welsh, mother 100%English, I was born (just) on the English side of the border in Shrewsbury, but only because the maternity hospital was there - we lived in Wales at the time, and until I was 10. I’m 66 now and have never lived in Wales since.

It’s rarely straightforward!

It's just my take on things,but I would say you were born in England, therefore you are English. Obviously in these strange times you are apparently entitled to identify as anything you like,even Welsh if for some strange reason you prefer.

Or heaven forbid....even French!!!!

Edited by Slacker

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

It's just my take on things,but I would say you were born in England, therefore you are English. Obviously in these strange times you are apparently entitled to identify as anything you like,even Welsh if for some strange reason you prefer.

Or heaven forbid....even French!!!!

Based on that sole criterion, of course, Boris Johnson is a Yank and Cliff Richard is Indian!