IGNORED

Conway

And Its Smith

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Any excuse to have a Clash song has to be supported sir 

Have been waiting for us to sign a defender with the surname "Law "  You fought the Law and the Law won 

Of course Tommy could be a "Goal robber " too

Or...

Tommy is scoring....

And we're South of the RIVER!

• Like 1

On 21/08/2022 at 18:39, 1960maaan said:

I watched him a few times in the U21s, always thought he looked the most promising. When Britton was scoring shed loads, Conway was the one with the touch and movement.  Now he has Wells and Weimann to help him he looks the real deal, I hope he can keep this run going for a while.

But how would Britton have done if he had Weiman and Wells setting him up. He was decent on the deck but better in the air and definately more aggressive. But not so quick as Conway but not as slow as Martin. We'll never know. Pity.

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Or...

Tommy is scoring....

And we're South of the RIVER!

Far too contrived, but…

The Playoffs are coming, Premier League’s zooming in
Meltdown expected, up at the Mem
Defenders stop running, they have such fear
'Cause Tommy is scoring goals
South of the river
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

But how would Britton have done if he had Weiman and Wells setting him up. He was decent on the deck but better in the air and definately more aggressive. But not so quick as Conway but not as slow as Martin. We'll never know. Pity.

Sure those who saw him train every day know, and it's them who make the decisions.

• Like 1

I would think if you take the song by The Who "Tommy The Pinball Wizard" Ever since I was a young boy, I watched football , From Sheffield down to Brighton , I watched them all , But I ain't seen nothing like. He 's Tommy Conway and he sure plays a mean football. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Like comparing apples to oranges.  Conway had the huge advantage of going through the academy and it showed.  Conway has an all round game up to championship standard.  

I don't think the club could wait for Britton to catch up, if he was going to of course. I hope he can prove himself but the Irish second tier ain't the place to do it imo. 

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

How can we praise NP for all the good he has done but question releasing a player who had about 20 minutes in a nothing game? 

He got sussed out. Clearly had a chance to impress when NP first arrived and did not. Pearson didn’t even have him training with the first team last year when he was giving opportunities to almost anyone. He wasn’t good enough and was not going to be good enough. Why are we still bringing Britton up? NP gotten everything right except releasing a bloke who has ended up in the Irish league? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Just in case that's how it came out, I wasn't criticising Britton. I enjoyed watching him and think with service he will score. But it doesn't look like he's getting a regular start at the moment.

Conway has an all round game and work ethic. As @bcfc01 said, it may have a lot to do with being with the club from 7 years old. Britton came alive in the box, he lived on service. Conway has great technique and links play really well and does a lot of work in the channels. I was surprised and impressed with his strength and hold up play too , hard to see in the U21's. I always thought he was the better technical player.
We will never know how things would have gone with a run in the first team for Britton. But it certainly looks like Nige got this one right. 

34 minutes ago, Selred said:

If we wanted a chant, surely something along the lines of My Way.

I can see that that working:

Goals! he’ll score a few

He’ll score on each home & away day

He’s more, much more than this 

He’s Tommy Conway 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Jeez said:

I can see that that working:

Goals! he’ll score a few

He’ll score on each home & away day

He’s more, much more than this 

He’s Tommy Conway 

We'll have to go some to beat this effort from Hearts - excuse the formatting, lost interest in trying to sort it out.

And now, the end is near,

We've followed Hearts, from Perth to Paisley, We've traveled far by bus and car, And other times, we went by railway

We've been, to Aberdeen, We hate the Hibs, they make us spew up,

So make a noise you Gorgie Boys, We're going to Europe

To see, HMFC, We'll even dig, the Channel Tunnel,

When we're afloat, on some big boat, We'll tie our scarves, around the funnel,

We have no cares, for other players,

Like Rossi, Boniek or Tardelli,

When we're overseas, the Hibs will be in Portobelly

We all can laugh, at Hibs When we play Chelsea, Metz or Inter,

They'll be up at Dundee, And relegated by mid winter,

While we go, marching on, And show the Huns, the way to do it,

They lost again, while we had slain, The might of Europe The day's, not far away, When we will reach, the heights of glory, We'll follow Hearts, through foreign parts, And Gorgie Boys, will tell the story, How we scored three, at Napoli, Hibs lost away, again, at Greenock, When Hibs went down, we took the crown, As Kings of Europe

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gavlin said:

I would think if you take the song by The Who "Tommy The Pinball Wizard" Ever since I was a young boy, I watched football , From Sheffield down to Brighton , I watched them all , But I ain't seen nothing like. He 's Tommy Conway and he sure plays a mean football. 

Let’s polish that a little, but I would suspect that too many of the young’uns don’t know the song…

Every since I was a young boy, I watched them play football,

From Sheffield down to Brighton, I must have seen them all,

But I ain’t seen like him, skills he has them all,

His name’s Tommy Conway, he sure plays a mean football!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Supports Arsenal!!

Its just a job!.

He may have grown up supporting Arsenal/still support them now, no issue with that.

It’s clear he loves the club and loves what he does, despite it being just a job. You can still be passionate about the environment you’re in.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2022 at 18:17, And Its Smith said:

Assuming those who said loan him out, he ain’t ready have now re-evaluated. Definitely ready and glad he isn’t being loaned out. He can play anywhere across the front as well so valuable player to have. The lad must be on cloud nine right now. 

Yep really impressed with him. The thing that struck me most is his movement. It's clearly instinctive, and that space he found for the chance he missed in the first half was really cleverly done.

I think if we didn't already have Semenyo and Scott doing so well, he'd get more recognition. He's looking like the best young forward to come through the academy* since Lita.

*Not including Semenyo in that as he wasn't strictly academy. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Just in case that's how it came out, I wasn't criticising Britton. I enjoyed watching him and think with service he will score. But it doesn't look like he's getting a regular start at the moment.

Conway has an all round game and work ethic. As @bcfc01 said, it may have a lot to do with being with the club from 7 years old. Britton came alive in the box, he lived on service. Conway has great technique and links play really well and does a lot of work in the channels. I was surprised and impressed with his strength and hold up play too , hard to see in the U21's. I always thought he was the better technical player.
We will never know how things would have gone with a run in the first team for Britton. But it certainly looks like Nige got this one right. 

With respect as Britton is currently on the subs bench for a side in the Irish second division, I think we can all take a fairly decent guess.

I am totally baffled by this ongoing obsession with him, Saikou Janneh also left us this summer, scored 2 goals in his only ever first team start, is now playing at a far higher standard yet he never gets highlighted.

Don’t get it.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With respect as Britton is currently on the subs bench for a side in the Irish second division, I think we can all take a fairly decent guess.

I am totally baffled by this ongoing obsession with him, Saikou Janneh also left us this summer, scored 2 goals in his only ever first team start, is now playing at a far higher standard yet he never gets highlighted.

Don’t get it.

Because Britton is a local lad from Hanham who was working on a building site with his old man only a few years ago..

I genuinely think its more of the story and background of Britton that gets certain fans going more than the actual ability of the kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep really impressed with him. The thing that struck me most is his movement. It's clearly instinctive, and that space he found for the chance he missed in the first half was really cleverly done.

I think if we didn't already have Semenyo and Scott doing so well, he'd get more recognition. He's looking like the best young forward to come through the academy* since Lita.

*Not including Semenyo in that as he wasn't strictly academy. 

Lita wasn’t academy either so that begs the question since who?  Can’t think of anyone!

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t get it.

I agree that we made the right decision in letting him go, but just to be accurate he played from the start in their recent 1-2 win at promotion rivals Cobh Rangers, he hasn't scored there yet, but he can score goals at that level as he showed at Waterford. They are one of only a couple of full time teams in that league though.

• Thanks 1