IGNORED

Conway

And Its Smith

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m 52, Clash well in my era, I quite like them, just don’t think London’s Calling LP is the best ever album as most officianados (and my mates) think! ?

Would have made an awesome single album. Too much filler to be a true classic ' double ' imo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Joe Strummer lived in Broomfield which is about 9 miles west of Bridgwater.

Hugh Cornwell has lived in Box near Bath for decades, went to Bristol Uni and used to play guitar for weekend cash in Keith Floyd's restaurant. Jet Black lived just outside Tetbury.

A Stranglers song would be perfect although not sure which one..

Anyways, it looks like we'll keep Conway for beyond this Summer- that's not a bummer. His goals are peaches.

P.s Sil Wilcox used to be a roadie/helper for the Stranglers and ended up managing them (after Hugh left) ever sine - the other band he manages? The Wurzels.

the clash's ex manager bernie rhodes lives/lived near bridgy too.....

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

the clash's ex manager bernie rhodes lives/lived near bridgy too.....

Another local connection is that one of my favourite bands  when I was a yoof was Clifton based The Cortinas. Nik Sheppard went on to play guitar for Joe Strummer when the Clash split whilst Pete Howard of Bath based EAT played drums after Topper Headon was sacked due to his drug problems.

So- both Clash & Stranglers have very strong connections with Bristol and the West country.

Meanwhile Neil Diamond and Sweet Caroline is pretty much without meaning to England and I have found it entirely embarrassing that this was the best we could do in two Euro finals when England has one of the greatest selection of bands in the world -ever.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Another local connection is that one of my favourite bands  when I was a yoof was Clifton based The Cortinas. Nik Sheppard went on to play guitar for Joe Strummer when the Clash split whilst Pete Howard of Bath based EAT played drums after Topper Headon was sacked due to his drug problems.

So- both Clash & Stranglers have very strong connections with Bristol and the West country.

Meanwhile Neil Diamond and Sweet Caroline is pretty much without meaning to England and I have found it entirely embarrassing that this was the best we could do in two Euro finals when England has one of the greatest selection of bands in the world -ever.

I used to work with Dexter Dalwood. 

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Would have made an awesome single album. Too much filler to be a true classic ' double ' imo.

Not quite sure I agree having given it a recent reappraisal, there are a couple of tracks that sound better now I am older. Now the Sandinista triple album definitely needed a good editor. I remember Joe Strummer saying once, when asked about side b of the 3rd disc. "Oh only the very brave go there". :)

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Nik Sheppard and Danny Swann joined from the Cortinas. They both went to Ashton Park school.

Edited by Port Said Red

27 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

Just of interest, what was his goalscoring record like prior to first team? Was he prolific for u23s?

Decent enough.  

Last Season:

image.thumb.png.8b4b5d36eb9f777353f43eee73553354.png

That young Wells guy is doing okay since stepping up!!!

Season before: (spent 4/5 months on loan at Bath)

image.thumb.png.e598ae82129030fc68b22e37b0f44703.png

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, redapple said:

I’ve seen The Stranglers 71 times so yes im a bit bias, but despite only being 52 your music taste with Bowie, The Clash and the Stranglers is PDG.

What does PDG mean?

I’m 53, not a musical expert by any means but grew up with all types of music because of TOTPs. I remember seeing David Bowie on there in the early 70s. 
I remember seeing the Jam on there for the first time. Kate Bush, Blondie… As a kid, the 70s was mega for different genres of music. I’m so lucky to have been around then.

• Like 4

On 23/08/2022 at 19:22, Fordy62 said:

Let’s polish that a little, but I would suspect that too many of the young’uns don’t know the song…

Every since I was a young boy, I watched them play football,

From Sheffield down to Brighton, I must have seen them all,

But I ain’t seen like him, skills he has them all,

His name’s Tommy Conway, he sure plays a mean football!

I love that! 
so much better than the Tommy Conway Baby song.

On 28/08/2022 at 19:05, redapple said:

Yes agree , crying out for an anthem that everybody can sing. And I have no idea of what that might be ! 

Just use the tune of 'Tommy can you hear me' by The Who

Tommy can you hear us

Can you hear the fans sing

When you're  running  down the wing

Can you hear the fans sing 

Scoring goals is your thing.

Can you gear the fans sing  

1 minute ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

I still think we could do something with Back Home In Bristol by the Dreadnoughts. Slow it down  a bit and some clever words, would be an awesome anthem.

Still can’t believe this isn’t played at the Gate or a song has been made up to it. 

Same for Danny Nedelko!

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 03:26, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Joe Strummer lived in Broomfield which is about 9 miles west of Bridgwater.

Hugh Cornwell has lived in Box near Bath for decades, went to Bristol Uni and used to play guitar for weekend cash in Keith Floyd's restaurant. Jet Black lived just outside Tetbury.

A Stranglers song would be perfect although not sure which one..

Anyways, it looks like we'll keep Conway for beyond this Summer- that's not a bummer. His goals are peaches.

P.s Sil Wilcox used to be a roadie/helper for the Stranglers and ended up managing them (after Hugh left) ever sine - the other band he manages? The Wurzels.

For The Record. I was brought up in Guildford. The Stranglers were originally The Guildford Stranglers and played a lot of early gigs at The Star. The boys were banned from playing Guildford venues when there was a wholesale rearrangement of furniture at Guildford Civic Hall. JJ is still gigging as the Stranglers and they recently did their first gig at what is kind of Guildford Civic  recently. 

For any real Stranglers fans I was at many many of their gigs, but notably was at the Rock Goes To College gig where they kicked over the drums and walked because not enough tickets went into town. Black notably yelling out Bushy Hill, Bellfields you lot have got a forking clue. I was from Bushy Hill one of about four locally who got in. 

13 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

What does PDG mean?

I’m 53, not a musical expert by any means but grew up with all types of music because of TOTPs. I remember seeing David Bowie on there in the early 70s. 
I remember seeing the Jam on there for the first time. Kate Bush, Blondie… As a kid, the 70s was mega for different genres of music. I’m so lucky to have been around then.

As above ref the Stranglers. The Jam were from Woking, Sheerwater to be precise. And being that Woking was a godless shithole the home town gig was Guildford. The last Jam gig was in Brighton but the previous night they played Guildford. It was effing heaving in there as the doors just got thrown open five minutes before they came out. 

The frontal lobotomy that was the DJ Mike Reed was giving it large on stage. Someone dragged him out and Wellers old man came out and yelled into the Mike…if anyone goes daaarrrn pick ‘em up FOR THE JAM….place went mental. 

For anyone interested I have Joy Division on my CV and must have seen the Undertones twenty times. The most violent gigs were the Clash and very notably Souxsie who on one particular occasion had Robert Smith on guitar. They were mates. Never seen scenes like it or since. I broke my ducking toe as the bastards took my steelies off me going in. Happy days!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

• Admin
4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I loved the moment inTommy’s interview where he nearly said’ promotion ‘ ( which is obviously what the squad want and feel possible) before saying  something like ‘ doing well’ . 

This, 100% ^^^

Also from the transcript of his interview in the Post:

image.png

The kid definitely plays Fifa in sweat-mode and I'm here for that!