IGNORED

Conway

And Its Smith

Conway is one of those strikers that just has a knack of being on the end of things, he’s a finisher and what I like the most about him, he works really hard for the team. Presses and wins the ball and uses it well. He is still very young and will get better but Semenyo in my opinion is far nearer the finished product and offers that little bit more in terms of strength, power and pace 

would love to see the two of them and Weimann as our strike force not that I don’t think Wells has done really well

• Like 1

Seems to be playing with no fear at the moment. With 20-20 hindsight, it's good that he hasn't been scarred by being thrown in too early last year or the year before. Refreshing to see him play with such enthusiasm. Never stopped running and very direct with the ball, up against two big centre halves but he wasn't bullied at all physically and they certainly didn't enjoy their afternoon

4 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

The academy production line has been absolutely incredible this last few years. It’s always been decent but it’s just getting silly now. Take a bow all involved. Tommy is wonderful. 

The year group of Conway, Bell etc would have been the first to come through the academy the whole way under the EPPP system, so despite the ones we’ve lost over the years we’re seeing the higher quality of player retained and developed as well 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pezo said:

I'm assuming at some point he is going to tire and need a rest but until then championship defenses are probably quite fearful.

Well luckily he's going to get a mid season rest along with almost everyone else, that might help.

I wonder if fans of teams like Bath and Yate feel the same way we do about Tammy when they see him doing well?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pezo said:

I'm assuming at some point he is going to tire and need a rest but until then championship defenses are probably quite fearful.

Probably, also worth bearing in mind this is really his breakout season, as his appearances in the pandemic one were sporadic.

However if the transfer window closes & Semenyo, Wells & Weimann are all still here, we will have plenty of opportunity to mix & match.

I wouldn’t discount Chris Martin, either, not a favourite with some on here but still has a part to play & an ideal sub.

• Like 2

I’m another member of the Tommy Conway fan club. The lad looks to be the real deal to me, and someone who will surely get better and better with experience. His work-rate, desire, and general nuisance reminds a bit of a young Vardy. If he has half the career he’s had, he’ll have done very well. 

1 hour ago, westonred said:

He reminds me of a young Alan Shearer anyone else think that ?

Yep. Very similar to Shearer when he was at Southampton, very direct, spins off the defender, and just looks a natural scorer.

He's put on some muscle and is a tad quicker than last season as well.

He got a right kicking yesterday from the big lad in their defence, but it didn't stop him playing well.

Been watching and waiting for this lad to shine.

21 minutes ago, tin said:

I’m another member of the Tommy Conway fan club. His work-rate, desire, and general nuisance reminds a bit of a young Vardy. If he has half the career he’s had, he’ll have done very well. 

A very promising young player and, if he perseveres and heeds the advice of his manager(s) and fellow, senior professionals, he should go far.

Re. the comparison to Vardy, I hope he receives some sound advice concerning his choice of personal partner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Probably, also worth bearing in mind this is really his breakout season, as his appearances in the pandemic one were sporadic.

However if the transfer window closes & Semenyo, Wells & Weimann are all still here, we will have plenty of opportunity to mix & match.

I wouldn’t discount Chris Martin, either, not a favourite with some on here but still has a part to play & an ideal sub.

Can you remember when we only had one striker at one point, I think it was the season after we stayed up following promotion. Now we might have the opposite problem!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

@Davefevs and I have both commented that he looks like a young Shearer. 

We have indeed….

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A very promising young player and, if he perseveres and heeds the advice of his manager(s) and fellow, senior professionals, he should go far.

Re. the comparison to Vardy, I hope he receives some sound advice concerning his choice of personal partner.

…Probably more like Vardy though.

Looks like his partner is Alex Scott now they’re housemates! ???

Conway's attacking attributes are clearly very good, and he is a natural goalscorer. 

But one thing that impresses me the most (also the same with Alex Scott) is the aggression he has to his game. Within the first 5 minutes of yesterday's game, he pressed the Cardiff defence and made a challenge that got the crowd going. 

It's great to see that aggression from someone of his age. 

He possesses similar qualities to Semenyo, can you imagine those two charging at defenders, with Weimann in behind? 

The academy production line is very strong, and we have the likes of Palmer-Houlden, Owers and Kadji (to name a few) waiting in the wings. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Conway's attacking attributes are clearly very good, and he is a natural goalscorer. 

But one thing that impresses me the most (also the same with Alex Scott) is the aggression he has to his game. Within the first 5 minutes of yesterday's game, he pressed the Cardiff defence and made a challenge that got the crowd going. 

He possesses similar qualities to Semenyo, can you imagine those two charging at defenders, with Weimann in behind? 

The academy production line is very strong, and we have the likes of Palmer-Houlden, Owers and Kadji (to name a few) waiting in the wings. 

Tommy Backwell as well..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

But one thing that impresses me the most (also the same with Alex Scott) is the aggression he has to his game. Within the first 5 minutes of yesterday's game, he pressed the Cardiff defence and made a challenge that got the crowd going

Again this is a huge credit to our academy and the coaches involved. Without being aggressive you won’t make it at the top level in this country and it seems that it is being instilled in the vast majority of our academy players.

Conway is a fantastic talent, really hoping he can stay injury free this season and he kicks on. Going to be a top striker at this level and possibly the level above.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Again this is a huge credit to our academy and the coaches involved. Without being aggressive you won’t make it at the top level in this country and it seems that it is being instilled in the vast majority of our academy players.

Conway is a fantastic talent, really hoping he can stay injury free this season and he kicks on. Going to be a top striker at this level and possibly the level above.

The insight from Trevor Challis during the Luton game was very interesting. 

During different phases of play, he stated that the academy teams were following suit, so we have a style of play throughout the academy that will make progression through the age groups to the first team seamless. 

Highlighted Conway's pressing as something that the academy strikers were coached to do, in order to mirror what the first team wanted. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Remember on one occasion when O’Dowda got in behind Scott by Section 82, Scott busted a gut to get back and blocked that cross coming into the box.

The aggression and desire from the young boys is all there to see. Brilliant!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Remember on one occasion when O’Dowda got in behind Scott by Section 82, Scott busted a gut to get back and blocked that cross coming into the box.

The aggression and desire from the young boys is all there to see. Brilliant!

Having that at their age is fantastic. The aggression and determination to win the ball back for the team. 

Scott's trio of sliding tackles against Wigan was incredible. 

There's a special feeling about this squad at the moment. It feels as though Pearson has cleared out the bad influences, and we now have a good blend between experience and youth. 

Multiple leaders on the pitch and within the squad, and passionate youngsters keen to make their mark. 

• Flames 1

32 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

The insight from Trevor Challis during the Luton game was very interesting. 

During different phases of play, he stated that the academy teams were following suit, so we have a style of play throughout the academy that will make progression through the age groups to the first team seamless. 

Highlighted Conway's pressing as something that the academy strikers were coached to do, in order to mirror what the first team wanted. 

I thought Challis was excellent.

I saw comments / heard somewhere saying “the u23s don’t play the same as the first team”, “they don’t play a target man”, blah blah blah.  I watched pretty much all of the u23 games that were broadcast on Robinstv or other clubs channels, and I thought there were lots of parallels.

Neither were playing possession at any cost football, we played a fair bit of counter attack football, etc, so I’d say it was indeed quite similar, accounting for personnel differences which you’ll get between age group and senior teams.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Challis was excellent.

I saw comments / heard somewhere saying “the u23s don’t play the same as the first team”, “they don’t play a target man”, blah blah blah.  I watched pretty much all of the u23 games that were broadcast on Robinstv or other clubs channels, and I thought there were lots of parallels.

Neither were playing possession at any cost football, we played a fair bit of counter attack football, etc, so I’d say it was indeed quite similar, accounting for personnel differences which you’ll get between age group and senior teams.

Challis speaks very well. Also get the impression that he is perfectly suited to academy football. 

Great to hear that we are trying to mirror our style of play all the way through the age groups. 

Nige really has created a 'club' feel once again. For a while we seemed to only be focused on the first team and signing players from other clubs. 

Now there seems to be a genuine pathway for our youngsters, and opportunities will be presented to those that are ready for the step up. 

• Like 1