IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think it’s something we may have to accept to a large degree Lew

I can’t say I was greatly knowledgable about Naismith or his career , but there are various comments on Luton’s Forum about his faux pas’s

Doesnt mean he shouldn’t be striving to eliminate them , but I get the impression that it’s going to happen occasionally

Same as me mate.

But I’ve been very impressed with him on the whole. I admire his confidence and ability to play it on the deck in tight areas, but sometimes there’s nothing wrong with hitting balls into the channels!!

3 clean sheets at home on the bounce though. Can’t be bad…

• Like 6
1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Thought we did play ok tonight and just about edged it but we gave them some soft chances which they did not take. Luckily we have some of the best Strikers in the League.

Some observations of mine: Throw ins down the right hand channel kept going all the way back to the keeper so we were surrendering an advantage and slowing things down too much. 

Too slow to spot the runs of the forwards at times, either being overly patient or not spotting the runs being made. 

Anyway a good win and we're playing well currently.

Throw ins are my pet peeve at all levels of Football. You launch it line immediately into a 50/50. You win it. It’s another 50/50. 

The most common handover of possession is conceding a throw in. At lower levels especially it’s handed straight back with an aimless launch down the line. If you can keep possession regardless of it going back to the keeper it’s definitely more proactive than gambling on 1 to sometimes 3 50/50’s going in your favour. 

My team used to get crucified for losing possession within 10 seconds of a throw in. If you manage to get the ball to the other side of the pitch in 10 seconds it’s almost a guaranteed shot at goal. (Grass roots and non league football) 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Same as me mate.

But I’ve been very impressed with him on the whole. I admire his confidence and ability to play it on the deck in tight areas, but sometimes there’s nothing wrong with hitting balls into the channels!!

3 clean sheets at home on the bounce though. Can’t be bad…

That’s the thing , sometimes you have to take some bad with the good, 

FWIW I think he’s a real positive with his passing ability , confidence in the ball , and his set pieces (I expect a handful of goals from him before seasons end)

I also like that he appears to be a leader, something we’ve been harping on about for 4/5 seasons

The more he settles in , I think the errors will become less frequent , but anyone who expects perfection is going to be disappointed !

• Like 7

Enjoyable game again. Thought we were the better side overall. Semenyo goal to wrap it up was a delight, but Huddersfield bit post just before.

The football has been quite good all season tbh, especially at home. In defeat to Sunderland, thought there were good aspects and green shoots.

We look a good danger to opposition and was thinking, what a luxury it is to be able to bring a player like Williams on plus Massengo of course. The depth is not bad right now...

To have all 5 strikers on the scoresheet by the end of August also has to be good, for competition and confidence.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Enjoyed that. We have played better this season, but continued progress and a joy to watch the progress. With so few opportunities to change and evolve the squad, it is impressive that this comes with essentially the same team as last season bar 2 (starting 11).  Plenty to improve on, but much to admire. 

it seems some really struggle to enjoy that progress, it is most bizarre. After years of the crappiest football in decades under LJ, where a shot on goal was a success, games are now entertaining and often with exceptionally great goals. No matter where we end up, the games are great to watch. Long may it continue. 

Yeah I think some people are already taking our tenacity, creativity and work rate for granted and now judging us as if we shouldn't make any mistakes which is mad. We've earned the 11 points from 5 games (plus 2 Cup wins). 

• Like 2

Mixed performance, but enjoyable night tonight. 

Internally I was screaming at Semenyo to pass it across the box and then he pulled that out. Glad we scored when we did as it was starting to look shaky . 

Agree with the person who commented about us having to play a higher line as we can't deal with the press when we sink back - at least that's my observation having seen us against Sunderland too. Against clinical teams we may come unstuck. 

Thought Wells played really well up top too. 

1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Throw ins are my pet peeve at all levels of Football. You launch it line immediately into a 50/50. You win it. It’s another 50/50. 

The most common handover of possession is conceding a throw in. At lower levels especially it’s handed straight back with an aimless launch down the line. If you can keep possession regardless of it going back to the keeper it’s definitely more proactive than gambling on 1 to sometimes 3 50/50’s going in your favour. 

My team used to get crucified for losing possession within 10 seconds of a throw in. If you manage to get the ball to the other side of the pitch in 10 seconds it’s almost a guaranteed shot at goal. (Grass roots and non league football) 

On City tonight i'm unsure whether it was a lack of movement from forward players, whether Sykes was not giving the forwards enough time to make a move or the aim was to just slowly retain the ball.

I suppose it if it just throw ins to complain about then i'll take that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

That’s the thing , sometimes you have to take some bad with the good, 

FWIW I think he’s a real positive with his passing ability , confidence in the ball , and his set pieces (I expect a handful of goals from him before seasons end)

I also like that he appears to be a leader, something we’ve been harping on about for 4/5 seasons

The more he settles in , I think the errors will become less frequent , but anyone who expects perfection is going to be disappointed !

He’s certainly played a part in making City fun to watch again! 

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Enjoyed that. We have played better this season, but continued progress and a joy to watch the progress. With so few opportunities to change and evolve the squad, it is impressive that this comes with essentially the same team as last season bar 2 (starting 11).  Plenty to improve on, but much to admire. 

it seems some really struggle to enjoy that progress, it is most bizarre. After years of the crappiest football in decades under LJ, where a shot on goal was a success, games are now entertaining and often with exceptionally great goals. No matter where we end up, the games are great to watch. Long may it continue. 

Completely agree. We are playing with much more flair than we have for a long time. 

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Really? Wilson, Kalas, Klose, Tanner, Pring. Some decent alternatives there.

Kalas, yes. But when is he going to be fit? 
I’m not even sure NP is totally convinced by the others you mention. And he keeps talking about the need for a new central defender. 
The defence we’re currently employing is like watching the climax of a cliffhanger movie. Which is not to be overly negative - it’s just a reason why I think the top six is beyond us. 

Edited by firstdivision
12 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Sometimes you go to football, - travel a long way to be there - for one moment, for it all to be worth it. That happened tonight - it was the moment AS’ rocket hit the net. Glorious. 

Hands off tomorrow anyone thinking about it. 

I think their keeper will have his hands off it for a while. That must have got close to breaking his wrist….Spoken by a bloke who had his wrist broken by a shot. I don’t know if I have ever seen a shot hit so bloody hard

1 hour ago, Gratz260689 said:

Sykes? Take it you mean vyner? Sykes was quality defensively tonight saved vyners ass a few times

Nope. I mean Sykes. Was one occasion in the first half that Vyner bailed him out, because running back he looked like he was towing a caravan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not seeing the same as some tonight, while we were very good at times, I never felt comfortable. Maybe Huddersfield were better then expected or we were a tad blase at times?

Excellent win against a half decent side all said and we move on!

Nahki looked the player we expected.

BTW, Antoine is a beast!!

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm not seeing the same as some tonight, while we were very good at times, I never felt comfortable. Maybe Huddersfield were better then expected or we were a tad blase at times?

Was a bit nervy at times agree Ska, not least Huddersfield hitting the post just before Semenyo's clincher and the impressive Bentley save at 1-0. Once it went to 2-0 fairly relaxed of course but definitely wasn't one way traffic.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was a bit nervy at times agreee, not least Huddersfield hitting the post just before Semenyo's clincher and the impressive Bentley save at 1-0. Once it went to 2-0 fairly relaxed of course but definitely wasn't one way traffic.

They are certainly better than their position suggests Mr P, maybe we're not as good as ours suggests as well?

Blackburn away should show us I guess, I'll take a point now if offered.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Looking at the Huddersfield Forum Ska, mixed views but a number of comments that it was one of their better performances this season 

Not sure if you get many comfortable games at his level to be fair , most sides are going to have a spell on top or threaten in games

• Like 2