IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

29 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm not seeing the same as some tonight, while we were very good at times, I never felt comfortable. Maybe Huddersfield were better then expected or we were a tad blase at times?

Excellent win against a half decent side all said and we move on!

Nahki looked the player we expected.

BTW, Antoine is a beast!!

I thought they were terrible yet you still had the feeling we would gift them a goal. Credit to the fans that made that journey to watch that.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

No I think they are relegation candidates. 

We didn't even need to get out of second gear tonight and still easily beat them. 

We weren't anywhere near our best tonight but still won relatively comfortably imo.

They had a couple of moments as would any opponent in this division (helped by a couple of mistakes by Naismith), but I thought they lacked quality throughout their team. Not impressed at all.

• Like 1

Is anybody starting to see parallels between this season and the start of 2017-2018?

A footballing identity starting to form after two years of dross.

Progressing in the league cup.

Academy products really starting to shine through (Reid, Bryan - Semenyo, Conway, Scott)

I don’t think we’ll be in an automatic promotion spot at Christmas or reach the league cup semi finals again, but neither do I think we’ll crash and burn in the latter half of the season like we did then. I think we’re in steadier, more experienced hands than we were under LJ. 

• Like 6

How a game can turn in an instant! From the Terriers Pat Jones hitting the post, to Atkinson's long pass and THAT goal from Antoine. Sensational.

Wonderful Wells, City's exciting, attacking football, with fantastic pressing  and Kal's nerve jingling 'interventions'.

Enjoy the highlights.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Admin
3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Interestingly, Pearson was rather critical of the way we saw the game out during his post-match interview on Radio Bristol.  Says we needed to show more authority, and acknowledged how errors had put us in trouble on occasions.  
A good three points considering we didn’t play particularly well for periods of the game.

He's always at his pissiest when we win ?

Despite their position, we are only the second team this season to stop Huddersfield scoring, the other being Burnley.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

On City tonight i'm unsure whether it was a lack of movement from forward players, whether Sykes was not giving the forwards enough time to make a move or the aim was to just slowly retain the ball.

I suppose it if it just throw ins to complain about then i'll take that.

Huddersfield changed their set up after 10+ minutes.  Anjofin started quite deep, more close to Russell, but he then went closer to Rhodes, trying to occupy Atkinson whilst Rhodes tried to cut down Naismith’s passing lanes.  We had a similar spell v Cardiff if you recall.

But we stuck at it, we finally got some ball into Scott (or James - coming deeper) who was able to face forward.  Dasilva took up aggressive high positions and dragged Turton back towards his goal meaning Anjorin, despite plugging one gap, was leaving a hole to their right side of Russell.  That was the channel that Weimann ran for Scott pass that started the move for the goal.

I think we know what we’re trying to do…it might take 10 minutes to work that opening, but the fans aren’t getting on our backs either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Still think he’s rusty….short turnaround, no rush.

Yeah i was being a bit tongue in cheek, he did look a bit rusty when he first came on but nothing that a full 90 wouldn't solve and it's not like he's coming back from a hamstring injury. 

Having said that i think we'll see them all get a regular chance in the coning months. 

12 hours ago, Selred said:

Still think the same?

Yep.  Conway and Semenyo still look like our best forwards to me along with Weimann when he plays up front.

Yes Wells scored and had a fairly decent game, but one goal is not enough to make me change my mind on him.  My concern is what he doesn't do rather than what he does.

At least I predicted the score right for a change.  Decent overall performance by the lads and a bit of variation up top.  Our defensive frailties would have been exploited by a decent side though 

Happy to take the win and 7th place and the positivity that now exists around the place.  Blackburn are going to provide a sniffer test on Saturday though.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2
4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yep.  Conway and Semenyo still look like our best forwards to me along with Weimann when he plays up front.

Yes Wells scored and had a fairly decent game, but one goal is not enough to make me change my mind on him.  My concern is what he doesn't do rather than what he does.

At least I predicted the score right for a change.  Decent overall performance by the lads and a bit of variation up top.  Our defensive frailties would have been exploited by a decent side though 

Happy to take the win and 7th place and the positivity that now exists around the place.  Blackburn are going to provide a sniffer test on Saturday though.

This post leaves me feeling cold.........

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm not seeing the same as some tonight, while we were very good at times, I never felt comfortable. Maybe Huddersfield were better then expected or we were a tad blase at times?

Excellent win against a half decent side all said and we move on!

Nahki looked the player we expected.

BTW, Antoine is a beast!!

Agree.  I thought there were some below par performance from some: Naismith nearly cost us twice, which would have more than undone his classy touches; Vyner likewise once, and unike Naismith seemed unable to pick out a red shirt; Scott never seemed to get into it; Williams and Martin were anonymous when they came on. Bents made a crucial save, but his distribution was wayward and at times dangerous.

Positives were Wells, a rejuvenated JD and - of course - Semenyo.

Man-for-man we're a better side than Huddersfield,  yet we contrived to let them get to our box throughout the second half. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Is anybody starting to see parallels between this season and the start of 2017-2018?

A footballing identity starting to form after two years of dross.

Progressing in the league cup.

Academy products really starting to shine through (Reid, Bryan - Semenyo, Conway, Scott)

I don’t think we’ll be in an automatic promotion spot at Christmas or reach the league cup semi finals again, but neither do I think we’ll crash and burn in the latter half of the season like we did then. I think we’re in steadier, more experienced hands than we were under LJ. 

I predicted at the start of the season that we'd have a strong start to the season before fading away. I very much expect an LJ era season, which is much better than what we've had since LJ left btw.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Conway looked knackered last night i expect he will get a rest on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure Conway got clattered at some point and suddenly his running was gone. He might need to rest a knock if I'm remembering that correctly.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He was the man of the match....

He scored, he pressed, he absolutely ran them ragged with his movement. Not sure what more he could of done! Was terrific! 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not having a go, honestly, but that reads very much like - I don’t want to evolve my opinion of Wells, my mind is made up.

For many people, both here and on Twitter Wells was their MOTM or a close contender.  FWIW I thought he had a couple of poor touches in the opening 10 minutes, then I though he gave as good an all-round forwards performance as you could give for a player of his type / ability level.

Judging on a single game basis…What didn’t he do (for you) last night?

• Like 3
10 hours ago, glynriley said:

Nope. I mean Sykes. Was one occasion in the first half that Vyner bailed him out, because running back he looked like he was towing a caravan. 

Sykes was certainly blowing after 35 mins of the first half, and not offering the necessary cover for Vyner at times. I think at half time, there were probably words around managing his runs/exertions better in the second half, as the defensive side of his game was more evident for the second 45 mins.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not sure what you were watching last night. Wells had a great game and a better game than Conway. Quite comfortably too.

I think Conway needs dropping a game or two to keep him fresh and hungry.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Not sure if you get many comfortable games at his level to be fair , most sides are going to have a spell on top or threaten in games

100% this. Against both Huddersfield and Blackpool we looked technically superior and could have been out of sight if we were more clinical. We also came away with 4 points.

That should be enough!

We can't expect this young squad to be the finished article or to blitz opponents. It's a tough league and most sides have similar levels. It's about being slightly better when you can, which we have been in nearly every game this season.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

My Man of the match.

And to think at one point it looked like he might be off, can't see that happening now, I feel finally we are seeing the player we all thought we had signed it helps he is actually starting games long may it continue; he even had his own little song last night the fans are really starting to warm to him.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Selred said:

He was the man of the match....

He scored, he pressed, he absolutely ran them ragged with his movement. Not sure what more he could of done! Was terrific! 

i thought that too,also much of the same against luton, hes a different player this year,maybe because hes no1 main striker on the pitch with conway whereas always been second fiddle in previous seasons, in fact,i thought they all did well for the most part,my only disappointment was matty james, didnt seem to be doing a lot so much so i was hoping hnm would come on for him after 30 mins

Edited by redsquirrel

Does anyone else think the second half seemed to fly by quickly last night.

Happy we bagged three more points from a pretty ordinary game, and glad to see us scoring two relatively spectacular goals.

Semenyo was pretty smart. In the first minutes after coming on, he looked a bit like Bambi on ice. The Huddersfield defenders must've thought they had him in their pocket. Then Boooom !

Semenyo's first few touches probably knocked £1M off his transfer fee, but that super goal may have added another £4M to it.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
10 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Does anyone else think the second half seemed to fly by quickly last night.

Happy we bagged three more points from a pretty ordinary game, and glad to see us scoring two relatively spectacular goals.

Semenyo was pretty smart. In the first minutes after coming on, he looked a bit like Bambi on ice. The Huddersfield defenders must've thought they had him in their pocket. Then Boooom !

Semenyo's first few touches probably knocked £1M off his transfer fee, but that super goal may have added another £4M to it.

His first touch was a bit clumsy at times, but he's been out for a while.

But 3 goals in around 75 minutes, two of them excellent finishes, bodes well for when he's fully attuned to games.

Excited to have him back (hopefully he is going nowhere), he makes a huge difference.

Boooom ! Is a good description of him..