IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

I would imagine 1000s of people who cannot get to London to pay their respects will go to Bristol City Centre cenotaph or Town Hall where there will be a book of remberence  to leave flowers and pay their respects so i would imagine the Football would be off on Police request 

Edited by westonred
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, but if the Royal Family advised the government departments of culture and sport they didn’t feel cancellations were necessary, it would make the decision making organisation’s situation easier.

It would, but the fears of a backlash from the media (and social media) will be in the sporting authorities mind.

Just now, BS2 Red said:

It would, but the fears of a backlash from the media (and social media) will be in the sporting authorities mind.

I think that’s the only feasible situation that minimises backlash.

By the same token, a backlash against the DCMS and Royal Family would occur should they cancel things.

Tricky situation either way.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, but if the Royal Family advised the government departments of culture and sport they didn’t feel cancellations were necessary, it would make the decision making organisation’s situation easier.

West Ham and Hearts sang GSTQ last night. Think it would be that.

Seems a bit inappropriate, doesn’t it? ‘Long to reign over us…’ etc? Without wishing to seem flippant, that ship has surely sailed? 

9 hours ago, phantom said:

PREMIER LEAGUE chiefs will decide on Friday whether to cancel this weekend’s fixtures following the death of The Queen.

But while there will be no order banning sport, it is thought likely League bosses will agree calling off matches is the right decision.

It comes after Friday's racing programme and the second day of England’s final Test against South Africa at The Oval, last night’s Premiership Cup match between Northampton and Saracens and tonight's two scheduled EFL games were postponed, although Manchester United, Arsenal and West Ham’s European games all went ahead.

An EFL statement read: "As a mark of respect, following the passing of Her Majesty, The Queen Elizabeth II earlier today, the EFL has confirmed that its fixtures scheduled for tomorrow evening (Friday 9 September) – Burnley v Norwich City and Tranmere Rovers v Stockport County - have been postponed.

"A determination regarding the remainder of this weekend’s scheduled fixtures will be made following a review of the official mourning guidance, in addition to further consultation with DCMS and other sports on Friday morning. "

The Government is not planning to enforce a shutdown in sport as the UK enters 10 days of national mourning following the passing of the longest-reigning Sovereign in British history.

But Prem chief executive Richard Masters and his board are aware of a potential backlash if they play the weekend’s matches as scheduled.

And another factor is the potential drain on police resources as towns and cities up and down the land pay tribute to The Queen after her 70-year reign.

A final call will be made by lunchtime with Premier League chiefs aware that clubs will be setting off for overnight stays ahead of Saturday's games and that fans also will need to know if they are travelling.

But while there will be no Government action to block sports fixtures from taking place, football, rugby and racing in particular are thought to be leaning towards postponements, while there is speculation that the entire Test might be cancelled.

So far there has only been a brief statement by the ECB, which said: “Following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Friday’s play between England and South Africa men at The Oval, along with all scheduled matches in the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy, will not take place.

“For fixtures beyond Friday, updates will be provided in due course.”

Matches are still likely to take place over the coming 10 days after this weekend although sports bodies will be expected to mark the passing of Her Majesty at the age of 96.

That will see fans and players asked to respect one-minute silences before games, the national anthem also to be played and black armbands worn.

If the weekend’s football matches are called off it will be a break with precedent from the last time a monarch died in the middle of the football season.

A full Football League fixture list, including the North London Derby between Spurs and Arsenal, took place on Saturday February 9 1952, three days after the death of King George VI.

The Government has contacted sports bodies to make it clear they have the final say on whether fixtures should be played - with a green light if there are suitable marks of respect paid.

MInisters accepted that it would not have been feasible for the games at Old Trafford and the London Stadium to have been postponed when thousands of fans were already at the ground when the confirmation of The Queen’s death came last night.

But it is expected that no sporting events will take place during the Queen’s funeral parade and service, expected to be on Monday September 19, although any night matches would be allowed to get ahead

Where did this report come from?

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think it’s The Mail.

Predictably, The Mail are very much in favour of mass leisure cancellations so I’m not reading too much into it yet.

I also very much suspect they're just taking a wild punt to be first with the story. That page will be getting bucket loads of traffic, if it happens they can claim the exclusive and if not they'll bill it as a u-turn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Just watching the early morning Countdown on C4+1 and it appears they are not showing advertising, which seems a reasonable compromise.

As far as cancelling Saturday's matches, my question is; what value is there in it? Are we expected to sit in darkened rooms, watching them rehashing the same facts and film from Elizabeth's life? 

No we're not, some will of course but more will be looking around for alternative entertainment which seems a pointless disruption.

Working in the industry, Channel 4, ITV1 and a few sky station will have no ads for at least 24 hours. Sky News won’t have any for 48 hours too I don’t think. All digital outdoor advertising will be switched off for a few days as well

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd imagine all sport will be postponed today (inc Bears v Bath tonight at AG) and over the weekend, but will resume midweek.

The funeral is next Monday so that shouldn't effect next weekends sporting fixtures, either. 

Week on Monday?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think it’s The Mail.

Predictably, The Mail are very much in favour of mass leisure cancellations so I’m not reading too much into it yet.

If they have people working in the home office and the Ministry of defence etc, and they will, they then have access to whats called Operation London Bridge. Each Monarch has a protocal named after a bridge to be followed in the case of their death. Queen Elizabeths London Bridge has been in place for a significant period. 

• Like 1

Would much rather be able to show my respect by observing a silence than  to have to have an official mourning period whatever that entails . 
Surely a fantastic lady who has done everything and lived to 96 should have their life celebrated . 
When the funeral takes place cancel everything during that time and give people the option to watch or not .

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If they have people working in the home office and the Ministry of defence etc, and they will, they then have access to whats called Operation London Bridge. Each Monarch has a protocal named after a bridge to be followed in the case of their death. Queen Elizabeths London Bridge has been in place for a significant period. 

Didn’t ask?

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Would any of us really want to go? There would be no music, it would just all feel very sombre and flat. 

Very much doubt that any of the TV/radio stations would give much attention to the matches. 

Are they going to stop the crowd cheering, chanting etc? I think you are over estimating the number of people who care enough to stop enjoying themselves.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Would any of us really want to go? There would be no music, it would just all feel very sombre and flat. 

Very much doubt that any of the TV/radio stations would give much attention to the matches. 

As this thread displays, yes, a lot of us would want to go. I don’t agree it would be sombre and flat - yes, we may not have Galvanize played but you can bet S82 will still be singing.

Dont get me wrong - a lot of people are upset. But an equal number, if not more people, want life to go on asap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Would It be sombre and flat? Once the game started it would be like a normal game I reckon 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Are they going to stop the crowd cheering, chanting etc? I think you are over estimating the number of people who care enough to stop enjoying themselves.

Personally it just doesn't feel right to chant and cheer. 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

As this thread displays, yes, a lot of us would want to go. I don’t agree it would be sombre and flat - yes, we may not have Galvanize played but you can bet S82 will still be singing.

Dont get me wrong - a lot of people are upset. But an equal number, if not more people, want life to go on asap.

And life will go on. 

But right now it is all very raw. 

2 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Not looking for a word for word account of what he said, but what was the gist of it ?

From memory: "Britain made being racist illegal in the 60s, but we still suffer racism. Why should any black people mourn"

Something like that, I can't remember the exact words. 

• Thanks 1

All those moaning about cancellations are exactly the same folks who'd be up in arms were an incident to happen at an event because emergency response was deployed elsewhere. Why oh why oh why, finger of blame pointed, where's my compo...

Between the 7/7 London bombings and my leaving work there were 29 serious incidents averted by UKIC ('serious' denotes the anticipated deaths of 10 or more individuals.) For obvious reason none were widely publicised. You can probably add a dozen more to that total and don't ignore the incidents that did occur, those which the 'why oh whyers' love to highlight. So for the next few days throughout the land wherever people will gather, manholes and conduits are being lifted, checked and sealed, ditto street furniture, vacant properties, properties of significance and more. Subjects of interest require extra close scrutiny. The normal course of events sees ALL items into the Palace of Westminster first delivered elsewhere, where they are subject to checks then monitored all the way until delivered within the secure perimeter of the Palace.  Imagine how much more will be going there, Westminster Abbey and surrounding buildings over the next few days? The hundreds of dignitaries and VIPs attending the funeral, all their itineraries, lodgings, movements to be assessed and triple checked. The volume of human resource required is phenomenal which is why much of it is shipped in from around the country.

It has nothing to do with whether or not Royals or Government wish to shut things down. They don't, but in the messed up world we live in they must.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3