IGNORED

Erling Haaland, are we in the early days of the greatest goalscorer ever?

BCFCGav

Norway have an improving side- on paper!

Not just Haaland + 10...Odegaard is Norwegian, Berge too.

Plus assorted players in top divisions across Europe ie the top 5 Leagues including England- better than expected probably.

Sky is the limit for Haaland...if he can improve his all-round game too, given his ability, age trajectory- nuff said!

Good bit of analysis by Carragher on Sky just now (there'll probably be a clip of it posted later). Highlighted how the Man Utd defenders didn't do that much wrong in terms of their positioning and setup, but Haaland puts the fear of God into defenders so they back off and he gets the space, and how Martinez tried to get tight to him at the start but after a couple of minutes Haaland just barged him out of the way so he then backed off. Carragher compared it to when he faced Thierry Henry at the peak of his powers who had the same effect on him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Good bit of analysis by Carragher on Sky just now (there'll probably be a clip of it posted later). Highlighted how the Man Utd defenders didn't do that much wrong in terms of their positioning and setup, but Haaland puts the fear of God into defenders so they back off and he gets the space, and how Martinez tried to get tight to him at the start but after a couple of minutes Haaland just barged him out of the way so he then backed off. Carragher compared it to when he faced Thierry Henry at the peak of his powers who had the same effect on him.

I was at Anfield on an occasion where that happened:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2684737.stm

Pires, Bergkamp and Henry played little triangles around Liverpool all night, it was a joy to watch even as a Liverpool fan.

• Like 1

I love Pep's reaction on the touchline, even he can't quite believe what they have.

You have to admire his patience to some extent. They could have gone out and bought any number of lesser strikers in the last couple of seasons, but he has played with "false 9s and 10s" relying on the whole team to chip in while he waited for the one he really wanted.

Edited by Port Said Red

I went to the game last night and whilst i realise that the opposition were always going to offer little....

The bloke is outrageous - His movement is like something that I have never seen before. Everytime manchester city cross the ball the crowd is on the edge of their seats as they assume he is going to be on the end of it. Their reaction when he isnt is like that of a missed shot. (They also booed when he was subbed at HT.)

It sounds mad but I don't think I've ever seen a player (who isn't a gk) get up off the floor as quickly as him. He almost bounces straight back up and carries on running in one motion.

He looks absolutely massive on the pitch... I know he's hardly short at 6ft4... but he looks like a year 11 kid playing against primary school kids. He must scare the living daylights out of defenders just by his physical presence. 

Couple of side notes. They played a cover of you'll never walk alone at HT over the tanoy... bit odd if you ask me.

Also Gundogan is some player. That he can't get a regular starting place there speaks volumes as to how good they actually are.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I love Pep's reaction on the touchline, even he can't quite believe what they have.

You have to admire his patience to some extent. They could have gone out and bought any number of lesser strikers in the last couple of seasons, but he has played with "false 9s and 10s" relying on the whole team to chip in while he waited for the one he really wanted.

Which is of course an example of the privileged position that Guardiola and Man City are in. 

You can wait for Haaland and rely on midfielders (and Jesus) to "chip in" when those midfielders are De Bruyne, the two Silvas, Grealish, Mahrez, Gundogan etc. It's harder to do when you have Fred and McTominay, or Pulisic and Havertz, or the litany of other options that other clubs have. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Which is of course an example of the privileged position that Guardiola and Man City are in. 

You can wait for Haaland and rely on midfielders (and Jesus) to "chip in" when those midfielders are De Bruyne, the two Silvas, Grealish, Mahrez, Gundogan etc. It's harder to do when you have Fred and McTominay, or Pulisic and Havertz, or the litany of other options that other clubs have. 

Yes he has built himself a great squad and for less money than United have forked out as has been pointed out elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Surely he can't keep going at this rate. If he played around 50 games in all comps this season he could be on for 100 goals!

He's certainly going to break some records this season that's for sure.

You may well be right, at some point people will work out how to play against him. Still quite something to witness though for now. 

2 hours ago, One Team said:

You may well be right, at some point people will work out how to play against him. Still quite something to witness though for now. 

Isn't it a bit like prime Messi.

Teams might work out how to play against him, but being able to do so on the pitch is a very different issue.

• Like 1

He’s so brutally efficient it’s ridiculous…

I said, before he arrived, that in all my time watching City (which is a long time), I would pay to watch only one side beat us..The Man City team we lost to in the league cup…they were extraordinary on the eye…now they have a man that needs 1.5 chances to score a goal…I’d definitely pay!

And we have Lincoln in the next round…?

Apart from his immense footballing talent, the Viking Nordic Meat Shield seems to be a considerate bloke as well.

There was a video doing the rounds of the Man City players throwing their warm up tops to the kit guy with little thought...but not the Viking...folds his top up, walks over to the guy and places it in his kit bag whilst acknowledging him. 

Then this happens during the game...made me chuckle as he obviously knows he's good enough for it to not trouble his game...a one off.