IGNORED

Erling Haaland, are we in the early days of the greatest goalscorer ever?

BCFCGav

I've always really liked watching Haaland play and would watch Dortmund periodically for that reason, so I'm over the moon he's in the Prem now (albeit I'd have preferred him at a slightly more historic club). I've known for a while his goalscoring exploits are pretty special, but reading this really puts into perspective what he's doing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62825097

I wonder if we're seeing the formative years of a player who in 15 years time we'll be calling the greatest goalscorer ever. With his pace, power, finishing and game intelligence already this good at 22, maybe even the greatest player ever...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I've always really liked watching Haaland play and would watch Dortmund periodically for that reason, so I'm over the moon he's in the Prem now (albeit I'd have preferred him at a slightly more historic club). I've known for a while his goalscoring exploits are pretty special, but reading this really puts into perspective what he's doing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62825097

I wonder if we're seeing the formative years of a player who in 15 years time we'll be calling the greatest goalscorer ever. With his pace, power, finishing and game intelligence already this good at 22, maybe even the greatest player ever...

I posted on another thread Jimmy Greaves' record before he was even 20 years old, it completely blows every other player out of the water.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Interesting to read, I was at the Villa V Man City game a few weeks ago, in the first half he just aimlessly trotted left to right across the pitch having no impact on the game at all, in the second half his movement was slightly better, of course got the tap in for City's goal, and oddly he got MOTM

Certainly didn't deserve it on my opinion, but ultimately did score for City

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting to read, I was at the Villa V Man City game a few weeks ago, in the first half he just aimlessly trotted left to right across the pitch having no impact on the game at all, in the second half his movement was slightly better, of course got the tap in for City's goal, and oddly he got MOTM

Certainly didn't deserve it on my opinion, but ultimately did score for City

I recall hearing similar about Jimmy Greaves as mentioned above; something along the lines of his doing nothing all game except to score two goals.

We all prefer the forward who runs around a lot but ultimately it's about scoring goals.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

I'm glad he's not at bloody Man U !

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I posted on another thread Jimmy Greaves' record before he was even 20 years old, it completely blows every other player out of the water.

I also posted about JG on that other thread PSR.

There is no doubt that Haaland is an exceptional striker and his physique gives him greater strength than Greaves and he presents more of a threat in the air.

However Greaves played in an era where he displayed blistering speed despite quagmire pitches and where defenders could apply almost any type of physical challenge to stop a player. Haaland has a major advantage in both respects.

It is of course impossible to compare players from different eras, but my belief is that were he playing in this Man City team, a Jimmy Greaves at his peak would match Haaland's scoring record at the very least .

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I recall hearing similar about Jimmy Greaves as mentioned above; something along the lines of his doing nothing all game except to score two goals.

We all prefer the forward who runs around a lot but ultimately it's about scoring goals.

Exactly.

I give you Liam (piglet) Robinson in the early nineties. Ran around like a thing possessed, but couldn't 'score in a brothel'.

He did however scare the life out of defenders into leaving spaces for others.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

No, Messi and Ronaldo have raised that bar. Messi especially is a one off player that personally I think we will never see the same again.

A genius with a football. I am just going to enjoy his last couple of seasons playing football.

Haaland is clearly a good footballer, but I don’t see him being able to match Messi’s 20 plus years of greatness in goal scoring, assists, and perhaps the best passer of a ball ever.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I also posted about JG on that other thread PSR.

There is no doubt that Haaland is an exceptional striker and his physique gives him greater strength than Greaves and he presents more of a threat in the air.

However Greaves played in an era where he displayed blistering speed despite quagmire pitches and where defenders could apply almost any type of physical challenge to stop a player. Haaland has a major advantage in both respects.

It is of course impossible to compare players from different eras, but my belief is that were he playing in this Man City team, a Jimmy Greaves at his peak would match Haaland's scoring record at the very least .

Agreed. I don't wish to labour the point, but this paragraph alone illustrates the fact that he would have scored goals in any era. Whether he would have scored at quite this rate is unlikely, but he would still have been phenomenal.

"In the 1960–61 season, Greaves scored hat-tricks against Wolves, Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City; he scored four goals against Newcastle United and Nottingham Forest; and hit five goals in a 7–1 win over West Bromwich Albion. His hat-trick against Manchester City on 19 November included his 100th league goal, making him the youngest player to pass the 100-goal mark, at the age of 20 years and 290 days."

How bad Chelsea must have been defensively not to have walked the league with him in the side, makes our worries over Naismith seem minor. :)

51 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

No, Messi and Ronaldo have raised that bar. Messi especially is a one off player that personally I think we will never see the same again.

A genius with a football. I am just going to enjoy his last couple of seasons playing football.

Haaland is clearly a good footballer, but I don’t see him being able to match Messi’s 20 plus years of greatness in goal scoring, assists, and perhaps the best passer of a ball ever.

Agreed about Messi. Football fans compare his goal ratio with Ronaldo but in truth he is more than that. He's a playmaker who scores goals for fun. The best passer, dribbler, goalscorer, assist maker and he's up there with the best free kick taker of the last 40 years at least. The only one who can compare for me is Maradona

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Superjack said:

Exactly.

I give you Liam (piglet) Robinson in the early nineties. Ran around like a thing possessed, but couldn't 'score in a brothel'.

He did however scare the life out of defenders into leaving spaces for others.

'And here's to you, Liam Robinson....

City love you more than you will know...'

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I bet he wouldn't have scored half as many goals at Man Utd. 

Incredible impact he's made - but it's really not hard to score goals, playing for Man City. 

Sterling won't score half the goals for Chelsea compared to Man City for the same reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Agreed about Messi. Football fans compare his goal ratio with Ronaldo but in truth he is more than that. He's a playmaker who scores goals for fun. The best passer, dribbler, goalscorer, assist maker and he's up there with the best free kick taker of the last 40 years at least. The only one who can compare for me is Maradona

All opinions. For me, best passer of a ball in recent times was Iniesta. Ronaldinho for dribbling. Ronaldo/Ronaldo as goalscorer.  

Messi however was fantastic as a deep direct runner and his touch is incredible - one of the best ever, as Haaland will be barring injury or crazy lifestyle choices.

Altogether different players but enjoying that Haaland has rocked 3 leagues, scores goals and genuinely looks comfortable in a very competitive league.

If he went to la liga he would hit 35 plus a season without much issue and for me is way head as this generations best player.

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

Maradona always gets called a cheat in england, but the guy was absolutely a genius!

as for haaland, his power, burst of speed and calmness in front of goal is what makes him, he’s frightening and it will be good to see how many he gets per season in the premier league, clearly he doesnt have quite the skill and touch of say brazilian ronaldo, but with that man city team he doesnt need it.

• Like 2

Haaland is 6’4” and built like brick shithouse - two tremendous assets for any striker. What makes him so special is his natural instinct to find just a yard or two in the box. 

One of the MotD pundits, Ian Wright I think analysed Haalands really clever movement in and around the 6 yard box saying he’d not seen such subtle movement like it before. 

Add to Haalands undoubted quality Man City have class everywhere on the pitch to supply the ammo. DeBruyne in particular must be high up in PL assists table.

I can’t see anyone stopping Man City winning the PL this season.

If you were old enough to remember Joe Corrigan, Colin Bell, Dennis Tueart, Willie Donachie, Micky Summerbee, Joe Royle and all, perhaps you'd have more respect for Manchester City history? I think it is great that investment in such a grand old club has catapulted them way beyond the reach of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. That said, I share your enthusiasm for Haaland. He is destined for a record shattering career.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CiderJar said:

If you were old enough to remember Joe Corrigan, Colin Bell, Dennis Tueart, Willie Donachie, Micky Summerbee, Joe Royle and all, perhaps you'd have more respect for Manchester City history? I think it is great that investment in such a grand old club has catapulted them way beyond the reach of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. That said, I share your enthusiasm for Haaland. He is destined for a record shattering career.

First time I've ever heard Mike Summerbee called Micky. It seemed so strange I just had to comment. Agree with all your other comments as this will affect Manchester United so much.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If you watched him in that match at Peterborough, you would have been enthused by Liam.  Two goals scored, if I recall correctly, but he never hit those heights again. Nice lad though!

I've been scouring t'internet to find a video of the 2 he scored against Peterborough in the last game of the season, can't remember if it was the first or second but you'll struggle to see a ball hit as sweetly as he caught it, I swear it swerved 3 different directions before hitting the top corner!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If you watched him in that match at Peterborough, you would have been enthused by Liam.  Two goals scored, if I recall correctly, but he never hit those heights again. Nice lad though!

He caused chaos for defences even if his goal return was struggling

A poor mans Andi Weimann , but I liked him

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Sadly he became a bit of a joke figure with the amount of chances he used to miss.

On 29/09/2022 at 13:07, BCFCGav said:

Notts Co are "more historic" than Man City, I'd liked to have seen him somewhere like that too. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Notts Co are "more historic" than Man City, I'd liked to have seen him somewhere like that too. 

Yea he was always unlikely to go and play National League though, they never would've been able to pay his wages for starters plus no Champions League football. 

• Like 1