IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

Last couple of games they’ve gone with the similar eleven:

2C74066B-9E38-496F-8BB6-A9A55A39C62B.thumb.jpeg.fba22b043cd2304731a77cc6d5ae4d6a.jpeg

Iroegbunam or Dozzell being the change.  But as per the OP, JCS and Amos might be back, but likelihood only JCS comes into the eleven.  That might be a switch to a back 3.

Hoping Weimann and Scott can get into Johansen and stop him feeding Chair and Willock.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Good day fellow-Reds. The first game in a block of 12 games before the World Cup and a welcome return to Ashton Gate as we face QPR, its more than month ago since we last played there. There is a national train strike on Saturday so their fans may be stuck on the M4 for a couple of hours.

NP has said ‘We'd like to be around the top six when we get to the next break which is the World Cup, we've got a lot of games coming up and it's really important that we are still in a positive position when the next break comes along. That's going to take a lot of hard work from everybody in terms of trying to keep the squad fit and available and making sure our performance levels remain high. If we get to that break in a good position then I think we have more reasons to be optimistic.’

Nigel ‘there are reasons to be optimistic’ Pearson: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-need-to-sustain-our-levels-pearson/

We are likely to be without Matty James and Timm Klose who are both carrying injuries. They expect to be boosted by the return of three key first team operators. Defender Jake Clarke-Salter is in line for selection as well as the midfield duo of Luke Amos and Taylor Richards with the latter making just one appearance since his return to Loftus Road on-loan from Brighton and Hove Albion.

They parted company with Mark Warburton at the end of last season. On 1st June they appointed Aston Villa assistant manager Michael Beale as their new head coach. The 41-year-old agreed a three-year contract at Loftus Road. He ended his playing career at 21 to become a coach and spent time working in academies at Chelsea and Liverpool. "I've been looking for the right opportunity and I think I have that now - the right club, the right people, the right ambition and the right support," Beale told the QPR website at the time of his appointment. "I'm a London boy and know everything this club stands for. This is a wonderful opportunity for me and a really good time for the club as well."

Les Ferdinand MBE is their director of football.

They’ve had some quality players over the years and here a journalist, come life-long fan, offers thoughts on their all time best team, http://thememorystore.net/news/2015/05/my-greatest-ever-qpr-xi-journalist-john-crowley-who-first-saw-hoops-play-aged-three

Stan Bowles features he once uttered one of football's most famous quotes: ‘I blew the lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic.’ Sadly he is now struggling with Alzeimer's Disease and requiring full-time care, these two articles give a flavour of his colourful past and his desperately sad present situation: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9115627/Stan-Bowles-Don-Shanks-led-thrilling-lives-Stans-Alzheimers-battle-wiped-memories.htmland https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8636582/stan-bowles-qpr-legend/

Got me thinking about who would appear in the  best Bristol City XI ever team….

Last season both games ended 2-1

Head to head results are close, we’ve won 34, lost 36 and drawn 25 against them. They are in decent form having lost one, drawn two and won three of their last six games. Currently sitting in sixth place (prior to Fridays Hull v Luton game) they will feel, like us, that this could be a good season.

Here’s a classic City counter-attacking goal from the pre-NP era ? https://t.co/HZ0dbQ2EJt

Of course NW enjoyed a very successful loan spell with them scoring 20 in 66 appearances. Here are five other players who have played for both clubs: https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/features/played-for-both-bristol-city-290922/

They secured the deadline day signing of teenager Tim Iroegbunam on loan from boss Mick Beale's previous club Aston Villa. The 19-year-old midfielder moved to West London on a season-long deal. There were rumours that we wanted him on loan. Defender Ethan Laird also joined them on a season-long loan from Manchester United as did Tyler Roberts from Leeds.

Here are all their recent transactions:

In
Jake Clarke-Salter (free, Chelsea)
Kenneth Paal (free, unattached)
Tyler Roberts (loan, Leeds United)
Taylor Richards (loan, Brighton & Hove Albion)
Ethan Laird (loan, Manchester United)
Leon Balogun (free, Rangers)
Tim Iroegbunam (loan, Aston Villa)

Out

Charlie Austin (released)
Dominic Ball (free, Ipswich Town)
Dillon Barnes (released)
David Marshall (free, Hibernian)
Lee Wallace (released)
Keiren Westwood (released)
Jordy de Wijs (undisclosed, Fortuna Dusseldorf)
Yoann Barbet (released)
Moses Odubajo (free, Aris Saloniki)
Charlie Kelman (loan, Leyton Orient)
Charlie Owens (loan, Colchester United)
Stephen Duke-McKenna (loan, Leyton Orient)

Total spent: £0m, total received: £810k

QPR facts

• In June 2019, the club gifted the stadium naming rights to The Kiyan Prince Foundation, a local charity set up by the father of Kiyan Prince. Prince was a former QPR youth player who was fatally stabbed in 2006.
  • They pioneered AstroTurf pitches in the UK – they were the first football club to replace grass with artificial pitches in 1981 and they were the first club to remove them in 1988.
  • In January 2002, a family of QPR fans called the Winton’s funded the transfer of Danny Shittu to QPR from Charlton Athletic – the Winton family also funded the signing of striker Doudou the summer prior.
  • In 1967 QPR became the first Third Division team to lift the League Cup, coming from two goals behind to beat West Brom 3-2 in the final.
  • Well known fans include: Bill Bailey - Comedian, Martin Clunes - Actor, Pete Doherty - Singer, Ashley Giles - Cricketer and Shane Richie - Actor.

Their early history

Queens Park Rangers F.C. were formed in 1886, when a team known as St Jude's Institute (formed 1884) merged with Christchurch Rangers (formed 1882), although their official founding date is 1882 the same as when Christchurch were first formed. They were called Queens Park Rangers, because most of the players came from the Queens Park area of North-West London.

QPR became a professional team in 1889. The club were elected into the Southern Football League in 1899. They first won the Southern Football League in 1907–08. As Southern League champions that year, the club played in the first ever Charity Shield match, against the Football League champions, Manchester United. They lost 0–4 in a replay after the first game had finished 1-1. Both games were played at Stamford Bridge. QPR were Southern League champions for a second time in 1911–12.

The club joined the Football League in 1920, when the Third Division was formed, mainly with Southern League clubs. When the Third Division was split into North and South the following season, QPR, like most of the former Southern League clubs that had joined the Football League to form the Third Division, were in the Third Division (South).

QPR played their home games in nearly 20 different stadia (a league record), before permanently settling in Loftus Road in 1917 (although the team briefly played at White City between 1931–32 and 1962–63 in the hope of attracting larger crowds).

The club played on two grounds within Park Royal. The first was the Horse Ring, the site of the now-demolished Guinness Brewery, on the Royal Agricultural Society's show grounds from 1904 to 1907 which had a capacity of 40,000. When the Society sold the grounds in 1907, the club moved to the Park Royal Ground, 400 yards south, an almost exact replica of Ayresome Park, with a capacity of 60,000. They were forced to move out in February 1915 as the ground was taken over by the Army.

More recent history

A fascinating TV programme ‘The four year plan’ is worth a watch:

The film chronicled the take over of the nearly bankrupt club in 2007 by a consortium of billionaires and their effort to promote the team to the Premier League by 2011. The consortium consisted of Bernie Ecclestone, Flavio Briatore and Alejandro Agag, steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal and Amit Bhatia. It is an observational documentary that follows the club from within the boardroom. The cameras for this documentary were brought in by the new owners to create the film, and although the club gave permission for the cameras to be there, they had no say on where or when the cameras would be filming. The title derives from a statement made by Briatore in 2007 where he declared his 'target to be Premier League in four years'.

Alternative QPR acronyms

Print Queue Device Driver

Queer Platonic Relationship

Question, Persuade, Refer (suicide prevention program)

Quality-Price Ratio (wine evaluation)

Quarterly Progress Report

Quadrature Partial Response

Quarterly Performance Review

Quarterly Program Review

Quality Problem Report

Quarterly Progress Review

Quality Project Requirement

Quarterly Production Review

Quality Pricing Program

Quantitative Performance Requirements

Quick Progress Report

Given the importance of promoting good mental health I’m particularly struck by the value of QPR standing for Question, Persuade, and Refer — the three simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR can learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade, and refer someone towards help.

The ref is Jeremy Simpson. His record is 7 games 33 yellow and no reds. He was in charge of our 3-3 draw at Blackpool this season. Assistant Referees: Nigel Lugg and Lee Venamore. Fourth Official: Scott Oldham.

Here is what Rob Atkinson said in his pre-match interview: 

Dave Fevs informed this excellent coverage for their fan base: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/58625

Whether you are one of the 20,000+ who will be at Ashton Gate or be supporting the City from  elsewhere, enjoy and here’s to a great performance and another home win! COYR.

3C9A16B5-ECCF-4A22-8408-E08BF45DF820.jpeg

Why on earth is Bill Bailey a Horrible Hoop?! I mean, I get he now lives in London, but the bloke's from Keynsham. 

Just now, phantom said:

He used to watch Bath City many years ago, but after he moved to London he followed his local side

That doesn't wash with me. When I lived in south-west London I watched Wimbledon a few times, Plough Lane was a 10-minute walk, but I'd never call myself a Wimbledon fan. I remained a City fan and still attended the Gate on a season, and supported City when we played in London. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 3
16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That doesn't wash with me. When I lived in south-west London I watched Wimbledon a few times, Plough Lane was a 10-minute walk, but I'd never call myself a Wimbledon fan. I remained a City fan and still attended the Gate on a season, and supported City when we played in London. 

Same when i lived in Aberystwyth watching them play in the welsh prem, always still a city fan.

Mind you BB doesn't strike me as a hardcore football fan, maybe follows qpr casually.

• Like 2
Just now, Partridge is a robin said:

Same when i lived in Aberystwyth watching them play in the welsh prem, always still a city fan.

Mind you BB doesn't strike me as a hardcore football fan, maybe follows qpr casually.

I hope so. I always like watching his stuff and as well as a great stand-up, he's a very good comic actor.

From years of using White City tube station, I developed a healthy dislike of QPR fans. Always unpleasant encountering them when they were playing at home. 

Feels like a big game Saturday and one we don't want to lose after 2 straight defeats albeit against very good opposition. Lose and we'll not only find ourselves adrift of the top 6 but we could find ourselves just a few points off the relegation places and a bit of doubt will set in amongst players and fans again. QPR are probably the best team we have met at home so far this season and are on a decent run so it won't be easy. That said I'd be disappointed if we couldn't take at least a point from the game. Defend like we have at home so far and I think the firepower we have could be enough for all 3. It'll be a good test though. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Same with me. Watched Millwall when I lived in South East London, but only when City weren’t playing. Mind you, Bristol City and Bath City are maybe different propositions!

• Like 1

45 years ago tomorrow, 1st October, was my first visit to Ashton Gate. A thrilling top flight 2-2 draw against……………QPR.

I’ll be back tomorrow, same day, same date, same opposition but that’s where the similarities end, although I guess they’ll be a few other City and maybe QPR fans there tomorrow that were there 45 years ago. 

• Robin 5
  • Admin
13 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess the answer is that he watched Bath but wasn't a fan / supporter 

11 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

45 years ago tomorrow, 1st October, was my first visit to Ashton Gate. A thrilling top flight 2-2 draw against……………QPR.

I’ll be back tomorrow, same day, same date, same opposition but that’s where the similarities end, although I guess they’ll be a few other City and maybe QPR fans there tomorrow that were there 45 years ago. 

That’s pretty impressive considering where you live 

but it’s a double edge sword,  great place to live just a bit more travel to watch city 

Edited by sticks 1969
16 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Feels like a big game Saturday and one we don't want to lose after 2 straight defeats albeit against very good opposition. Lose and we'll not only find ourselves adrift of the top 6 but we could find ourselves just a few points off the relegation places and a bit of doubt will set in amongst players and fans again. QPR are probably the best team we have met at home so far this season and are on a decent run so it won't be easy. That said I'd be disappointed if we couldn't take at least a point from the game. Defend like we have at home so far and I think the firepower we have could be enough for all 3. It'll be a good test though. 

Agree with you, important to get a win and I think we will - as long as Naismith doesn't gift them any goals!

18 hours ago, italian dave said:

Same with me. Watched Millwall when I lived in South East London, but only when City weren’t playing. Mind you, Bristol City and Bath City are maybe different propositions!

I always go Millwall when in London. Love it.

• Like 1