IGNORED

Coventry City at home match thread

38 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Everyone seems so glum tonight. I thought it was another positive display. We passed the ball well and with pace. We chased the ball down, our tails were up! I’m loving watching us play at the moment. We are always a threat. We are a million miles away from where we were a few seasons back. 

COYRs 

Well said.  I thought it was a really entertaining game, particularly for a 0-0.  Sometimes you just have to give the opposition credit for defending well.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well said.  I thought it was a really entertaining game, particularly for a 0-0.  Sometimes you just have to give the opposition credit for defending well.

Agree . Thought we looked comfortable in possession albeit wasteful in attack from some well constructed moves.

We never really looked threatened at the back . Folk have been clamouring for improvements in defending , which we’ve seen.  We look like a mid table side who could threaten the top with a decent run, a long way from the performances of the last 2 years.  Not bad. 

• Like 2

I thought we looked like we’d been sussed out a bit. Our strikers were nullified well at the expense of giving  our wing backs a lot of space (obviously they  weren’t too worried about JD and Sykes!) Naismith could of cost us another one early on but did well after until his injury. Vyner was probably my MOM. 

44 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Everyone seems so glum tonight. I thought it was another positive display. We passed the ball well and with pace. We chased the ball down, our tails were up! I’m loving watching us play at the moment. We are always a threat. We are a million miles away from where we were a few seasons back. 

COYRs 

This would have been the attitude if the game were against a team we were expected not to get a result against. We needed a solid win against the bottom team that would show our intent to snap out of our malaise and show we can at least flirt with promotion.

Just now, sephjnr said:

This would have been the attitude if the game were against a team we were expected not to get a result against. We needed a solid win against the bottom team that would show our intent to snap out of our malaise and show we can at least flirt with promotion.

Coventry aren’t as bad as people make out. Bottom yes but played ONE home game and the least games in the division. Not a bottom of the table side imo.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's got his next Pearson Out thread ready and waiting to go as soon as he thinks he can get away with it.

What is it about you and Nige that you just can't cope with any criticism of him?

He's had a pretty good season so far but the last few games haven't gone to plan . Considering a pretty dire tenure prior to this season then I don't think it's unreasonable to accept a bit of criticism. City are generally much better but you and @billywedlock amongst others are just going to have to accept that when the team are not doing great that Nige is going to get some flak. What is ironic is that when we are doing well , there is a narrative that Nige is making the players that good but when when playing badly ..... it's because the players are bad.

IMO Nige has turned a corner on a number of levels but is far from producing  a consistent team capable of much more than where we are currently. A play off position is flattering yet not out of the question given time and more options in defence when Kalas and Klose are back available.

If you can't accept that questions are asked about some of his tactics or game management after his general record prior to this season  then football may not be healthy for you.

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

COYRs 

They missed 2 1 on 1's. I know Semenyo also missed a good chance but on balance I'd be much happier with my team's performance if I was a Coventry fan tonight despite their league position. Apart from realising why we let KP go of course!

6 minutes ago, watkins1983 said:

How good was the Coventry right wing back! Well done Andy king stepping up when Naismith went off injured. Wrong sub for me bringing on Conway for Semenyo, should have been for Weimann. At least didn’t lose, points like this show end of season 

Thought exactly the same about their right back. Impressed. Who was he. He seemed very pally with two or three of our players at the end. 

1 minute ago, BITW said:

I thought we looked like we’d been sussed out a bit. Our strikers were nullified well at the expense of giving  our wing backs a lot of space (obviously they  weren’t too worried about JD and Sykes!) Naismith could of cost us another one early on but did well after until his injury. Vyner was probably my MOM. 

I do think JD has been a massive disappointment when you look at the fee we paid and the fact he came from Chelsea and was an England U21 player. He really looks bang average compared to some of the left backs we have had, even at L1 level. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

True, but Cov are probs only bottom because they have played two games less than everyone else. 

9 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I do think JD has been a massive disappointment when you look at the fee we paid and the fact he came from Chelsea and was an England U21 player. He really looks bang average compared to some of the left backs we have had, even at L1 level. 

I think he’s looked a lot better going forward this season than last, but final ball still not good enough.

27 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought it was terrible and very low quality. All about opinions. Fair result they certainly had the better chances.

45 minutes ago, headhunter said:

100% agree with that.

Cov were pulled up for offside c90 mins and Bentley showed all the urgency of an away keeper running the clock down rather than get the ball upfield.

Yep, that really annoyed me too. No urgency whatsoever.

Drab game tonight against a very unambitious Coventry side. Our final ball was appalling. 

I thought Vyner and HNM played well. King was excellent. And at least our run of defats is at an end. 

Coventry came for a point and achieved it. They conceded the middle of the park to us and sat back to defend. For the most part they defended well but had some luck it on the few occasions that their keeper flapped at a cross or McFazdean got his legs muddled up. Up to the edge of the box we played well but our final pass was off all night and didn't pose a real threat on goal. King, Vyner and Massengo were the stand outs. First time this season we haven't scored but at least it was, a clean sheet. 

2 teams both happy to play out a 0-0 draw.  Nothing more boring. 1 point from 4 games probably tells us where we are at the moment. I could not see any sign of much commitment or motivation from either side tbh.  Just going through the motions.

Waste of time banging in crosses that nobody can be bothered to challenge for. Not that most of our crosses were very good tbf.

At least we kept a clean sheet I suppose, but we should be getting a lot more out of a game against a bottlom of the table side having just lost 3 on the bounce.

At least Naismith going off injured avoided us gifting the opposition all 3 points as he usually does.

Antoine looks a class above the rest of them, but did not really get the service from midfield that he needs and deserves. 

Edited by wendyredredrobin
1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Coventry came for a point and achieved it. They conceded the middle of the park to us and sat back to defend. For the most part they defended well but had some luck it on the few occasions that their keeper flapped at a cross or McFazdean got his legs muddled up. Up to the edge of the box we played well but our final pass was off all night and didn't pose a real threat on goal. King, Vyner and Massengo were the stand outs. First time this season we haven't scored but at least it was, a clean sheet. 

Given the chances they probably should have left with all 3 points.

We were far, far, far too slow and ponderous. I realise we were not fielding our ideal First XI, but nor will many other teams at this stage of the season. 

Not conceding possession doesn't have to mean playing multitudinous back passes when forward options were available.

The only way to present a goal threat is not by a cross into the box. Coventry caused havoc just by direct runs from central positions. Defenders in the box really do not like forwards running towards them, trust me!

By the time we'd got the ball into their final third, without fail they had their back line set and organised. Sometimes we faced 8 men behind the ball, because we were so laborious in our build-up play. 

And we aren't a particularly tall, physical side. Nine corners from us and I think only one bothered the keeper.

We need creativity desperately. Hopefully the return of Scott might ignite that.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Spot on time for pring he offers more going forward and can cross a ball .

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Average game really but a point is a point, plus a clean sheet. Thought we played decent at times but really need to be converting chances, especially when you are having 40 odd crosses!

Coventry sat deep and dealt with the pressure fairly comfortably.

I thought Vyner was great today. JD also. HNM brought energy but a bit slow in moving and releasing the ball forward. Shout out to King for his performance and being an emergency CB for the entire second half!

As much as I like Weimann, I wouldn't be averse to seeing someone else replace him next game. Additionally, I'd like to see Sykes moved more central or play Tanner/Wilson at RWB instead. Also glad Scott is back next game. I think we missed him and his ability to penetrate defences and draw defenders towards him today.

Onto the next. COYR!

Edited by HOZDA
7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

If you think he isn’t then you haven’t got a bloody clue what you’re watching. He took up intelligent positions all game , finding pockets of space . He wasn’t getting picked out 

You want to calm down mate I was just answering a question of whether Semenyo should be dropped after one game to allow Conway back in and offering an alternative (possibly Weimann could do with a break?) 

Do you have anger issues?

• Like 1