IGNORED

Norwood's Foul on Williams - Why no Red Card?

Curr Avon

27 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

No punishment at all, so presumably it was missed….like the offside….like the shirt pulling (by the offside Sharp)

Awful decisions yet again, I seriously hope the ref watches back on this game.

Baffling that there is still no VAR in the Championship. When it comes, we will likely be 10 points better off.

No chance weve mainly had shit refs at home only decent one was Bob madeley .They really have it in for us .

Just now, Cityboy1954 said:

Yeh he was not bad bit slow keeping up with play at times.

He didn’t move fast, I’ll grant you. But he didn’t need to. He was still in a position to see what he needed to and to control the game.

Tonights raced around the pitch faster than Martin, but still managed to miss every crucial decision. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He didn’t move fast, I’ll grant you. But he didn’t need to. He was still in a position to see what he needed to and to control the game.

Tonights raced around the pitch faster than Martin, but still managed to miss every crucial decision. 

I would normally say, should've gone to Specsavers. The nasty branch with horrible staff and punishment rooms.

As some of you may know, apart from me supporting the reds since 1977 (now aged 51!) and being a long term season ticket holder, I also work as a Football Data Analyst and apart from covering City, when reporting, I have the unfortunate task of visiting the memorial stadium, FGR, Chelts, Swindle, Newport, Cardiff etc etc. The referee tonight showed inconsistencies (but they all do at this level) and for the Williams challenge, I reported a yellow and red card risk, as I did for Tanner's challenge at the end of the game. Whilst my view was further away, in 'real time' for the Williams assault, it looked as naughty as Tanner's challenge, if not worse. I will look back at the challenges in slow motion tomorrow and report back to the company who employ my services!. 

We all know that VAR in the championship is not too far away. It's now being used in the Scottish Prem, so it is certainly on the English Football Tier 2 radar. In the meantime, it's good to chat about all officials making mistakes in the pub afterwards before we inevitably start complaining about VAR decisions - all the EPL supporters are doing it, so we will join those debates sooner, rather than later. I think VAR will come in 24/25 for EFL Championship, or even maybe next season?

Tomo 

Edited by Tomo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Don’t think the intent was there, unlike Tanner’s, but none the less dangerous and probably a red.

I don’t think there was any intent in Tanner’s other than to make a full-blooded tackle.

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Loved Tanners tackle!! If he gets the ball there everyone is saying it was great. Slightly misstimed but hard. Loved it. 

Yep, more mistimed because McAtee just nips it away from him.  I still think it’s a red though.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Tanner's is definitely a red, watching is slowed down its a scissor tackle around one of his legs and its off the floor, add the force involved, 100% red

Nah, even in your picture below, you’re showing the point of impact, not the point where he tried to win the ball.  That’s a subtle different.  He wasn’t trying to scissors him, that’s just the way his body ended up.  It’s mistimed, yeah, you can describe that as reckless, but in o way was the intention to scissor him.  That’s the speed of two players moving towards each other making it look worse.

Two cars hitting each other at 30 mph each is 60mph impact and will look worse (and is worse) than if one car is stationary.

Im not disputing it’s a red, because the red is for what actually happened.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

He’s pinned the planted leg between both of his, you can see where his left quad is 

F6AFFE66-98E4-4DB6-AC25-B04D34C5921C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Red0499 said:

I am not so sure. Norwood's was a nasty, sneaky challenge. Looked like he held back to try and catch Williams. Tanner's was a wild hack born of frustration more than anything. Both reds mind.

Spot on.

Held his leg back out of the 'tackle' then pushed it into Williams knee powered by a lunge.

Filthy, filthy leg-breaking foul.

Straight red.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

He ran the whole length of the pitch faster than Linford Christie when their keeper feigned an injury.

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Spot on.

Held his leg back out of the 'tackle' then pushed it into Williams knee powered by a lunge.

Filthy, filthy leg-breaking foul.

Straight red.

Yes his intent was to injure Williams, that's very clear to see. You don't do what he did by accident. 

Tanner was just an attempt to win the ball. 

• Like 2

How Williams leg never broke I will never know. I've watched the close up back frame by frame and it is a horrendous disgusting challenge. He deliberately puts his foot into his knee and then even adjusts it to plant it in further. There is no doubt in my mind that he wanted to injure Williams. 

If a challenge like that happened in the prem, they'd be talking about it for weeks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How Williams leg never broke I will never know. I've watched the close up back frame by frame and it is a horrendous disgusting challenge. He deliberately puts his foot into his knee and then even adjusts it to plant it in further. There is no doubt in my mind that he wanted to injure Williams. 

If a challenge like that happened in the prem, they'd be talking about it for weeks. 

Can you post the footage WSM, it's not on the Sky online highlights.

Tanner sent off for horror tackle

That’s how  sky sports have it on their highlights, almost like reading a red top !  Hardly a horror tackle as mentioned on the match day thread and clear for everyone to see the quick smirk to the bench after the red card was shown to Tanner, the bloke wasn’t even hurt!

There were 4 big decisions for the ref/officials to make, the 1 against us he got right, and the three against us were all wrong. Ignoring that there were also a number of decisions during the game which were odd.

The foul on Williams was disgusting and I think you'll struggle to see a worse foul all season. Not even a free kick given. It was an intentional leg breaker, studs up on a planted knee well after the ball and fully knowing what he wanted to do.

The goal was offside and a soft foul on Vyner.

Wells in my opinion was fouled in the area, was a clumsy challenge on him but a clear foul.

It was a truly shocking performance from the referee and from 70 minutes he just played along with their play acting to kill all the momentum in the game we had.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It was right in front of me, the linesman inexplicably missed it.

It was a red all day long but we didn’t even get a free kick.

I’m not surprised, I thought the officials were just clueless throughout, the amount of shirt pulling they got away with (Sharp, as usual plus the centre backs) was ridiculous.

Lots of late challenges, too.

Horrible, cynical, dirty side assisted by a spineless ref.

Sky were lapping it up! They thought it was all too amusing…

?

8 hours ago, Lrrr said:

He’s pinned the planted leg between both of his, you can see where his left quad is 

F6AFFE66-98E4-4DB6-AC25-B04D34C5921C.jpeg

Its a trailing leg, not a "scissor tackle" . Small point, and was always going to be a Red but no intent. 
The Norwood one, he knew what he was doing. When you challenge someone and your studs are over knee height , it's deliberate.

The Ref & his motley crew were very poor. You can tell when a Ref has full control, he will get players to come to him for lectures or booking, he was running around the pitch last night asking if he could book someone . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Don’t think the intent was there, unlike Tanner’s, but none the less dangerous and probably a red.

I personally believe that Norwood was a deliberate stamp over the ball. This bad tackle was early in the game before that downpour in the second half and should have got a red card!

Tanner's legs went from under him on the saturated pitch and he was unable to control where he ended up. I therefore consider that while it wasn't deliberate, it still deserved a red because the outcome was dangerous.

Totally inconsistent refereeing again. He missed the second half body block in the second half which I believe was a definite penalty for City.

Overall, City are still looking like a team of gentlemen against a side with every trick in the book. We really do need to toughen up to stay up!

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I personally believe that Norwood was a deliberate stamp over the ball. This bad tackle was early in the game before that downpour in the second half and should have got a red card!

Tanner's legs went from under him on the saturated pitch and he was unable to control where he ended up. I therefore consider that while it wasn't deliberate, it still deserved a red because the outcome was dangerous.

Totally inconsistent refereeing again. He missed the second half body block in the second half which I believe was a definite penalty for City.

Overall, City are still looking like a team of gentlemen against a side with every trick in the book. We really do need to toughen up to stay up!

What do you mean by "toughen up"? This whole thread has been about Norwood's challenge, and its comparison with Tanners. If by toughen up you mean put in challenges like Norwood then it's a No from me.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Pretty much what Nige said he wants us to be.

The problem for us is that we appear to get inordinately penalised or good claims disregarded when we don't do half the stuff some of our opposition do.

I have no answer to this. Think Sheffield United away last season when several of our players kicked the ball away- think a few got booked. Any of theirs do similar??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Sheff U  are full of older pro's well versed in all of the dark Art's.........from bullying, ref intimidation, cheating, time wasting, feigning injury and nasty fouls?   So they'll probably get promoted?    If all of the above traits of their team was not sufficient, the league then gave them the extra bonus of the Ref.Steve Martin.....?    "The Man with No Brains"   Who was manipulated by Utd, and managed to miss not only an offside goal, and a penalty......but the worst foul of the night, which could have been a leg breaker....Norwood had No intention of playing the ball....just taking out the man.

Me bitter?......You'd think?  ??

• Like 1